F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Transmission Coding
GetBMWParts

04-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Transmission Coding

What do you gain by coding the regular 8 speed transmission to sport transmission? Thanks in advance!!
      04-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

Different shift points and gear indicator on dash while in DS mode, that's about it.

Some claim faster shift speeds but I have not noticed this. Standard transmission is already very quick as is.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
With 205, manual shifting is not too aggressive, while with 2TB (Sport Auto) enabled it is much more aggressive.

Timing wise, it's almost the same.

Also starting with the 2014 (or mid-2014) models, vehicles equipped with standard 205 Auto will show S1-S7.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #4
steve1121
Rep
Drives: bmw

is there any special add on that is needed for the car or just a stock car and changing the coding parameters?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
re4ryu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Efficientdynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1121 View Post
is there any special add on that is needed for the car or just a stock car and changing the coding parameters?
There is no special add on required for coding sport auto transmission, stock cars are compatible. Simply VO code option 2TB (recommended as it won't get wiped when given in for service etc), or code each of the required parameters separately.

If you were to buy the sport auto transmission option from BMW, you would just get a sportier looking steering wheel with a silver trim and paddle shifters, and a nicer styled gearbox. Sport auto transmission itself is merely a change in how the computer deals with shifting. There may not be much of a difference in shift times, probably a bit quicker, but it definitely feels way more aggressive in M/S mode, and the car gives a sort of sporty "jerk" when shifting into second and third upon aggressive acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Thanks for the help. I have a 2012 F30 and am new to the coding thing. I saw the option on the program and wondered if it would be worth doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:35 AM   #7
HandlerFahrer
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by re4ryu View Post
There is no special add on required for coding sport auto transmission, stock cars are compatible. Simply VO code option 2TB (recommended as it won't get wiped when given in for service etc), or code each of the required parameters separately.

If you were to buy the sport auto transmission option from BMW, you would just get a sportier looking steering wheel with a silver trim and paddle shifters, and a nicer styled gearbox. Sport auto transmission itself is merely a change in how the computer deals with shifting. There may not be much of a difference in shift times, probably a bit quicker, but it definitely feels way more aggressive in M/S mode, and the car gives a sort of sporty "jerk" when shifting into second and third upon aggressive acceleration.
Is there any way to go the opposite direction? Where you code the car from sport to normal? I have been driving the "normal" non sport coded transmission in the loaner car for a few days and actually liked it much better. I don't like the "jerk" you are talking about. It's impossible to get a nice smooth shift - the non sport is so much nicer because you can focus on the feel of the acceleration, etc. instead of the jerkiness. Why would you want to lunge the car forward all the time (except if you are actually racing which is not most of the time) - the regular transmission shifted flawlessly and with precise perfection. I would really like to code it this way.

Kinda crazy because I figured all of this out on my own experience and then find this thread and it is all confirmed!
Appreciate 0