F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Speeding Laws in different States
Studio RSR

12-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #45
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Speeding laws has been untouched for almost a decade here in florida, Cars have become significantly safer in that time. 85-100 MPH is reachable for most modern cars.

On the city streets I never drive more than 10 MPH over the posted speed limit. On the Highway i go maybe 20-35 over. It shouldn't take 4 1/2 hours to drive 330 miles i.e orlando. I always hit over 100 and i get there in about 3 hours.

I have my cheap little radar and that saved me a couple grand already
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #46
Mark_K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
I would like to point out the test driver that was in the fatal incident on the Autobahn in a 3 series. While I have nothing but respect and condolences for him and his family, I doubt such an accident would have been fatal had he and all other traffic been going at the same speeds, or even with only a 20mph difference. Accidents like this happen when one driver is doing say 40, while another is doing 80 or 90.
Please don't take offense, I don't mean to offend you, but you should really try to drive anywhere in Europe. Possibly in Germany - before you say things like those in quoted text.

My wife went to Europe first time in her life about 7 years ago. She was scared witless for the whole time when in passenger seat. 10 visits later, she absolutely HATES driving in U.S. and how unsafe it all is. Her experience is mostly from a passenger seat, it would not take more than 2 visits to reach same conclusion if she was actively driving all the time.

Just from a logic perspective ... how can anybody think that having a vehicle 12 ft apart in your blind spot at 65 mph for miles, miles and miles is safer than having the vehicle in the front of you, in your line of sight and for a very short time (until you pass them) THANKS to a legally allowed big difference in speed? Especially trucks. That one will continue to baffle me forever.

You took ONE example of a very bad accident on Autobahn. I will tell you, however, that Germans as a nation die less than we do. How much less? Well, in 2006 we died 2.5 TIMES more than Germans if you count deaths/100,000 population. We died 2 TIMES more if you look deaths/100,000 registered vehicles. We died 50% more if you look at deaths/1 million km traveled. So, whatever we are doing is obviously wrong. At least as far as I'm concerned.

I still don't think that driving 30+ over the speed limit is a brightest idea out there regardless of the road. I do, however, think that a lot of the things American drivers do routinely without ever braking the speed limit should result in suspension of DL and mandatory driving school before they get a new one. Which things? Too many to list, unfortunately. All of them that are obviously a result of the total obliviousness of the driver to his/her surrounding. Like that truck driver in your example, for example. You can bet pretty penny that that guy will not drive a truck again. In U.S. all fault would be assigned to the driver of F30 - which is SO wrong on SO many levels.

EDIT: as far as that second scourge of our roads (DUI) is concerned ... I definitely think that driving drunk is a VERY bad idea. Seriously. However, I said many times in those discussions that I (personally) would feel a whole lot safer driving between boozed Finns who obtained their DL in Finland than I would driving between stone sober average American drivers.

Last edited by Mark_K; 12-19-2012 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #47
The Economist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i "M-Sport" MPPK MPE

Don't give a shit how fast you drive, as long as you kill only your idiotic ass doing it. If you put someone else's life at danger due to the fact that you only have two neurons in your brain that you can rub together to spark a thought, you should probably take yourself out of the gene pool - like the fuc*ing idiot doing 100+ in a residential zone. You shouldn't go to jail - you should be shot point blank at the side of the road. No trial. No jury. Straight to execution. Not for speeding, but for stupidity, which is far more dangerous than speeding. Perhaps the most dangerous human condition.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #48
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Economist View Post
Don't give a shit how fast you drive, as long as you kill only your idiotic ass doing it. If you put someone else's life at danger due to the fact that you only have two neurons in your brain that you can rub together to spark a thought, you should probably take yourself out of the gene pool - like the fuc*ing idiot doing 100+ in a residential zone. You shouldn't go to jail - you should be shot point blank at the side of the road. No trial. No jury. Straight to execution. Not for speeding, but for stupidity, which is far more dangerous than speeding. Perhaps the most dangerous human condition.
Agreed!! I dont know of anyone that does a 100 on city road
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #49
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Economist View Post
overreact much?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #50
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
overreact much?
Not really. Why should they have the luxury of endangering the lives of dozens of other people? People go to jail for stealing inanimate objects, but they should be allowed to drive like idiots and possibly kill?

Yes, if there's open stretches of road with the occasional reasonable driver who knows what they're doing, then speeds of 100 mph are safe.

But in major metro areas like NJ and NY, even on highways traffic is often car to car, with only 10-15 feet between cars. And every other driver is an idiot. So in these situations, having a higher speed limit or letting people drive 100 is asking for more deaths.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #51
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
Cchrisv's statement about jail may be just a bit more than warranted, but I'm surprised to see the kind of reaction from so many that think it is ok to do 30+ over speed limit.
It's not that its okay, its that it is out of proportion punishment. Put an heavy fine, revoke licenses for repeat offenders, but jail is a life destroying event, it should be restrained to people that actually need it to stop their behavior. I'm sure a hefty fine will make people think enough without sending them to the anal-rape house...

Quote:
Btw I believe that doing a 60 on a 30 is not the same as doing a 95 on a 65, the former being more dangerous since you would be going double the speed limit in that case. So going to jail for doing a 60 on 30? Maybe yes. But jail for doing a 95 on a 65? I don't think so... a hefty fine should suffice. But then again that is my opinion.
Yep.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #52
ThatEgyptianKid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Man, all those words and not one bit of punctuation. (I kid..). I drive your NJ turnpike 4 - 5 days a week and I can tell you, while I regularly drive about 80 in the 65 mph zone, I'm am rarely passed by "most people" driving 88. It's easy to think you're a great driver with great vision and reflexes, I've been guilty of that and overdone it on the highways at times. But, it's also easy for some truck driver doing the speed limit or even less to decide to change lanes when you don't expect it and put a giant wall in front of you that you don't have time to avoid. Search this forum for a BMW test driver that was killed in an F30 in that exact situation and you may feel a little differently.
Haha yah I don't use punctuation much, it's what my English teacher tells me too.(I'm 16) But yah I see what you saying I never said it was a 100% safe because there's always that idiot on the road. In this that truck driver. But I guess because I'm on route 18 us 1 and turnpike in the summer during the days of less traffic I see those higher speeds
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #53
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

After Reading some of these post, I would love to stop those driver's who feel it's O.K to speed. There is no excuse for negligence, especially when you could kill someone. Everyone, Happy Holidays. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #54
Koca
Rep
Drives: In the factory

I haven't been in the US much, but from what i've seen, and from what others have said, getting a drivers license is too easy and the driving laws are a bit wierd for us europeans. In most countries here, you have to pass your first aid, driving law exam, and have to have at least 20-25 hours of driving with a licensed examiner and then you have to drive infront of a commision. Only after passing all that, you gain a full DL, with a few limitations (no alcohol in your blood when driving,...).

The biggest shock for me was driving on the highway. Here, the left lane is the overpassing lane, which you can only use when passing somebody, otherwise you have to use the middle/left lane. As long as people follow those rules, you can drive faster and safer at higher speeds - in my country the legal speed for driving on the highway is 130kmh/80mph but as long as you don't drive recklessly you can drive up to 160kmh/100mph without getting pulled over.

For those that want to know how come the germans can drive so fast on the autobahn, go watch this:
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #55
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
It's not that its okay, its that it is out of proportion punishment. Put an heavy fine, revoke licenses for repeat offenders, but jail is a life destroying event, it should be restrained to people that actually need it to stop their behavior. I'm sure a hefty fine will make people think enough without sending them to the anal-rape house...

Yep.

No, now you're talking about prison. Jail is different (at least here in the US). Jail means they take you down to the local PD, put you in a cell by yourself overnight, and more likely than not release you the next day.

In the US they do the same if you're inebriated in public: they lock you up in a PD until you sober up the next day and let you go. Nothing life ruining about it, no charges pressed etc, except maybe your ego and trouble with your parents if you're underage. I definitely believe punishment for speeding 30+mph should be on par if not more severe than just being drunk in public.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #56
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII

Quote:

Yep.

Being hit by a car at 60mph on a residential road is a life destroying event
Being hit by a car at 100mph on a highway is a life destroying event.

If you are going to endanger others by being reckless you should be placed in jail, license suspended, and a giant fee.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #57
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatEgyptianKid View Post
(I'm 16)
Your posts makes a lot more sense now. Immature and young. You'll learn as you grow up little one.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #58
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv View Post
Being hit by a car at 60mph on a residential road is a life destroying event
Being hit by a car at 100mph on a highway is a life destroying event.

If you are going to endanger others by being reckless you should be placed in jail, license suspended, and a giant fee.
Who said the contrary? I'm not saying its cool to drive recklessly, I'm saying that punishment should be just enough to deter the behavior. You are being all emotional, but you fail to see that it serves no purpose to send to jail people that could be kept civilized without that. Jail cost money, it destroys lives (yes, reckless driving too, that's why its illegal and you want to have some adequate punishment to it), and it serves no supplementary purpose that couldn't be achieved with the appropriate fine, at least for first time offenders.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #59
AWF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: aw f30 m sport

Quote:
Certainly not to endanger my own life or others...

Are you going to honestly tell me that driving 30 miles over the speed limit is a good idea?

BTW ~ Both a 328...ah hell even a Fiat 500 can go 30 miles over the speed limit.
If ur gonna drive slow, 328 actually has better torque at lower RPMs. And while ur driving that slow, might as well quit smoking and drinking, and post a food pyramid on ur fridge while ur at it
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #60
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Who said the contrary? I'm not saying its cool to drive recklessly, I'm saying that punishment should be just enough to deter the behavior. You are being all emotional, but you fail to see that it serves no purpose to send to jail people that could be kept civilized without that. Jail cost money, it destroys lives (yes, reckless driving too, that's why its illegal and you want to have some adequate punishment to it), and it serves no supplementary purpose that couldn't be achieved with the appropriate fine, at least for first time offenders.
I still don't see how a night in the jail destroys lives... (maybe if certain funny business happen while there,lol) In MD if your pulled over for a DUI you spend the night in jail. At least in our state driving 30mph will put you in jail. This is frankly how it should be while our road system is setup the way it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #61
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF30 View Post
If ur gonna drive slow, 328 actually has better torque at lower RPMs. And while ur driving that slow, might as well quit smoking and drinking, and post a food pyramid on ur fridge while ur at it
I am picturing you driving 100mph, a cigarette in one hand, a beer in the other with a Cheeseburger in your lap. Your cool man! Real Cool!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #62
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am picturing you driving 100mph, a cigarette in one hand, a beer in the other with a Cheeseburger in your lap. Your cool man! Real Cool!
I'm also picturing him needing stilts to reach the pedals and a booster seat to see over the dash. Honestly, it baffles me how anyone over 20 can still believe it's cool to do anything and everything that's illegal.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #63
AWF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: aw f30 m sport

Quote:
Okay you caught me, I'm a chains smoking alcoholic with a passion for cheese who relies on the incredible skill of drivers around me to avoid fatal accidents while I speed along @ 150mph.

Now, remind me what your point was?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #64
F30SD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Waiting on 335i MG Sportline

Quote:
I still don't see how a night in the jail destroys lives... (maybe if certain funny business happen while there,lol) In MD if your pulled over for a DUI you spend the night in jail. At least in our state driving 30mph will put you in jail. This is frankly how it should be while our road system is setup the way it is.
A night in jail is not the terrible part, it is the arrest record. Even if no charges are filed, even if you are completely innocent and the cop was a huge dick, every employer runs background checks. Arrest record? Not hired.

Doesn't even matter why you were arrested or how long ago it was.
The US has the highest incarceration rate in the world. Mostly that is drugs, but it is also the overcriminalization of everyday behavior.
You don't like that someone dresses differently(saggy pants)? Pass a law, make it illegal, arrest the guy.
A plant is in your possession(weed, cocaine)? make it illegal. Throw the guy in jail
You dump soapy water in the storm drain after washing your car?
Arrest him.

Drive 30+ over the speed limit?
Arrest him.

Individuals should be free to make their own decisions, not subject to the whims of the majority.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #65
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30SD View Post

Individuals should be free to make their own decisions, not subject to the whims of the majority.
So i should be free to rob you, smash your car, stab your family, and get away with it all just because it's my decision and I shouldn't be subject to the whims of the majority? Yeah that makes sense.

Laws are in place to protect the safety of the majority. Yes, there are many inane or outdated or plain unfair ones, but ultimately I'd rather live with our current laws than no laws at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #66
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30SD View Post
A night in jail is not the terrible part, it is the arrest record. Even if no charges are filed, even if you are completely innocent and the cop was a huge dick, every employer runs background checks. Arrest record? Not hired.

Doesn't even matter why you were arrested or how long ago it was.
The US has the highest incarceration rate in the world. Mostly that is drugs, but it is also the overcriminalization of everyday behavior.
You don't like that someone dresses differently(saggy pants)? Pass a law, make it illegal, arrest the guy.
A plant is in your possession(weed, cocaine)? make it illegal. Throw the guy in jail
You dump soapy water in the storm drain after washing your car?
Arrest him.

Drive 30+ over the speed limit?
Arrest him.

WTF are you talking about? That was the most idiotic thing I've read in this thread. You cant make stupid generalizations to proof a point. I bet you are one of those people that say "If you let gay people get married, then next we'll legalize marrying a goat"

The bottom line in my opinion the punishment should match the crime. Reckless driving endangers other people so it should have harsh consequences. If you don't want the criminal record? Don't drive that fast.
Appreciate 0