F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Smell from AC
proTUNING Freaks

07-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #1
zro2gon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 335I xdrive m sport

Smell from AC

Anyone else get a spray paint type smell when turning on the air conditioning? It's a very strong smell then seems to go away after 30 to 40 seconds. I will have the dealer check it out when I go for an oil change next month.
      07-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zro2gon View Post
Anyone else get a spray paint type smell when turning on the air conditioning? It's a very strong smell then seems to go away after 30 to 40 seconds. I will have the dealer check it out when I go for an oil change next month.
yes, I get the same thing if I haven't used the ac for a couple days and turn it on. but if I am using it every drive then I just get a "humid" smell for a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
rfcoolz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i xDrive

Well, I got similar problem, but with different scent (very strong vinegar). All I did was run fan only mode on max speed and 60 degree (no A/C) every time before I turn the engine off. After several times doing that, no more unpleasant smell, so it ended up being my habit.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfcoolz
Well, I got similar problem, but with different scent (very strong vinegar). All I did was run fan only mode on max speed and 60 degree (no A/C) every time before I turn the engine off. After several times doing that, no more unpleasant smell, so it ended up being my habit.
Yeah I think vinegar is probably a better description of the scent than spray paint. To me it reminds me of black and white darkroom chemicals. Yes, I know I am dating myself with that comment. I too try to run the fan a bit if I know the car is gong to sit a long time cause the smell doesn't really present itself on short back to back trips.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

A little Orange Scent Lysol sprayed into the intake does wonders.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
rfcoolz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3
A little Orange Scent Lysol sprayed into the intake does wonders.
how to access the intake?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep

At the base of the windshield is the fresh air intake for the HVAC system.
      07-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

Has happened several times in our 328d. Never noticed on startup but intermittently on a couple of 6hr drives when the A/C was on the entire trip.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
rfcoolz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
At the base of the windshield is the fresh air intake for the HVAC system.
Is it from the inside of ourside of the car? Just to make sure its the right one
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #10
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
got the same issue here.. I don't want to mask the smell I want to fix the damn problem,, anyone at bmw on here that can help me fix this stinky problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #11
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfcoolz View Post
Is it from the inside of ourside of the car? Just to make sure its the right one
By the battery connection. Make sure the light is off to recirculate. Just spray a little to kill the mold and freshen things up.
Appreciate 2
      08-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #12
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

So this is cool that others have the same problem, because my car also has the funk... and I took it back to the dealer and was told it's mold growing on the AC coils... which of course, BMW doesn't warrant. They could charge me to take everything apart, spray it down with anti-mold crap (probably Lysol) and put it back together ($428), but the advisor said they have done that for a few people, just to have the car return. So here is what the lead mechanic had to say... "with the recirculate air turned on, when you park the car after a hot day, the water drips onto the coils. The heat causes the water to turn into mold, and when you turn the car on, it has that odor at the beginning and then goes away after about 30 seconds. To help stop this, either don't use recirculate, or before you get home, turn off recirculate so that the fresh air can dry the coils before you park the car in the garage". My answer was "I've owned a many of Ford cars over the years... and I've never had this happen... and those cars were half the cost of this one... " he laughed and said yep, he drives a Nissan and it doesn't have the problem... but he did tell me to use the Lysol trick... but now he said to also turn on the recirculate and spray the Lysol inside the car... under the passenger foot well, being mindful not to point the vents to your face. Spray and then leave the car running for about 10 minutes with the doors closed. Then carefully open the doors (being careful not to breath) and turn the car off and leave the doors and windows open for about 30 min. He also said to spray for the outside like above. He said this will have to be done once every 2 months or so when it's hot. Kind of sucks that we have to do this, and I'm looking for one of those foggers that I can just open up in the car and not have to spray Lysol, but can't find one that targets mold...
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep

Good info above.....
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #14
Mccabe
Rep
Drives: 2013 330d Touring

Cabin filter

Hi. My first post on the bimmer forum.
First of all, thanks for all the information on this. Hopefully this can add something....
I bought a 2013 330d Touring a couple of weeks ago and noticed the same awful smell. It started off as a fishy smell but is not as bad anymore after running the air con through for a long journey.
I realised this must be mould in the system although I was surprised/ disappointed given the age (& cost) of the car! I will obviously use some lysol to clean the system out but does anyone think it might be a plan to change the cabin filter too?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:39 PM   #15
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Wink

This is a big problem on ALL BMWs, and all generations.

Was the same thing with my old E36.
Was true with my sisters E46.
Is true with her newer E90.
Was true with mine F30.

But no more, and i fixed it myself because:
1) BMW wants to charge you hundreds of dollars for something you can do yourself for the price of a can of lysol and a new cabin air filter.
2) BMW says they cannot fix it... Unless you pay them... (see above).

Very simple guys, but you will need to perform some yoga moves.

The cabin air filter needs to be changed every year or so.
It is located and accessible from the front passenger footwell, to the left behind the glove box.
If you buy the cabin air filter from autozone, they come with the instructions.
Get a can of lysol with your favorite scent.
A day (24h) before you plan to do the replacement, spray abundantly both sides of the new filter with lysol.

[ The reason you want to do this is: this is the only place in the ventilation system where mold can grow and reside. BmW has no intention to clearly explain to you this because they dont want to lose $500 for something they can fix for just a fraction. I just dont understand why Amrican and Japanese cars never have such a problem and their AC works even better than BMWs. ]

Leave it standing in a well ventilated area under the shade to let it soak in and dry up ,for at least an entire day.
Replace the filters and voila. You will never again have to smell smelly feet odor in your BMW.

I have been doing this for years, and it works great.

Dont pay BMW $500 for something that should cost no more than $50.

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 09-11-2015 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 02:16 AM   #16
Mccabe
Rep
Drives: 2013 330d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
A day (24h) before you plan to do the replacement, spray abundantly both sides of the new filter with lysol...

Replace the filters and voila.
Thanks for this DrivenByE30. I thought the cabin filter would need to go too. It's just no one had mentioned it here.

Now I just need to find an equivalent to Autozone in the UK; Eurocarparts maybe?

Thanks again

Last edited by Mccabe; 09-14-2015 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 08:22 PM   #17
AppletonAshley
Rep
Drives: ‘17 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
This is a big problem on ALL BMWs, and all generations.

Was the same thing with my old E36.
Was true with my sisters E46.
Is true with her newer E90.
Was true with mine F30.

But no more, and i fixed it myself because:
1) BMW wants to charge you hundreds of dollars for something you can do yourself for the price of a can of lysol and a new cabin air filter.
2) BMW says they cannot fix it... Unless you pay them... (see above).

Very simple guys, but you will need to perform some yoga moves.

The cabin air filter needs to be changed every year or so.
It is located and accessible from the front passenger footwell, to the left behind the glove box.
A day (24h) before you plan to do the replacement, spray abundantly both sides of the new filter with lysol.

[ The reason you want to do this is: this is the only place in the ventilation system where mold can grow and reside. BmW has no intention to clearly explain to you this because they dont want to lose $500 for something they can fix for just a fraction. I just dont understand why Amrican and Japanese cars never have such a problem and their AC works even better than BMWs. ]

Leave it standing in a well ventilated area under the shade to let it soak in and dry up ,for at least an entire day.
Replace the filters and voila. You will never again have to smell smelly feet odor in your BMW.

I have been doing this for years, and it works great.

Dont pay BMW $500 for something that should cost no more than $50.
This was a great read. I was wanting to replace my air filter soon and this will kill two birds with one stone. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #18
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
spray the air intake filter with thieves, its an organic oil that kills germs and bacteria, and smells fantastic.. this will work!!
Appreciate 0