F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Speeding Laws in different States
ARMA SPEED

12-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #67
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII

Sad article about increase in traffic deaths this year:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...471/1148/rss25
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #68
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30SD View Post
The US has the highest incarceration rate in the world. Mostly that is drugs, but it is also the overcriminalization of everyday behavior.
You don't like that someone dresses differently(saggy pants)? Pass a law, make it illegal, arrest the guy.
A plant is in your possession(weed, cocaine)? make it illegal. Throw the guy in jail
You dump soapy water in the storm drain after washing your car?
Arrest him.

Drive 30+ over the speed limit?
Arrest him.
+1 It's crazy how many people the US has incarcerated compared to just about any other country in the world. We don't have more criminals here than in other countries, just an ass-backwards mentality on locking up folks and throwing away the key when they've committed relatively minor offenses. Very sad.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #69
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
+1 It's crazy how many people the US has incarcerated compared to just about any other country in the world. We don't have more criminals here than in other countries, just an ass-backwards mentality on locking up folks and throwing away the key when they've committed relatively minor offenses. Very sad.
Please find me any reliable statistic showing this. The US has more murders, robberies, theft, rape, drug, shootings and stabbings per capita than any other developed first world nation. This is in a large part actually due to our comparatively lax laws on weapons control and crime, and especially our non-existent regulations on firearms.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #70
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
Please find me any reliable statistic showing this. The US has more murders, robberies, theft, rape, drug, shootings and stabbings per capita than any other developed first world nation. This is in a large part actually due to our comparatively lax laws on weapons control and crime, and especially our non-existent regulations on firearms.
Hah. And that wouldn't be a dramatic oversimplification that conveniently fits your biases and pre-conceived notions, would it? The truth is the US has some of the toughest crime laws in the world and lock up more criminals than anyone else.

As an aside, looking at the intentional homicide statistics at the UNODC shows that yes, the US does have more murders than most of Europe, but less than much of South and Central America, Africa, and central Asia. However, that isn't the reason for our prison population explosion.

What I'm more interested in exploring, however, is the reason for this prison population explosion, the negative impact it has on our country, and steps we should be taking to slow down the growth rate:

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #71
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
Hah. And that wouldn't be a dramatic oversimplification that conveniently fits your biases and pre-conceived notions, would it? The truth is the US has some of the toughest crime laws in the world and lock up more criminals than anyone else.

As an aside, looking at the intentional homicide statistics at the UNODC shows that yes, the US does have more murders than most of Europe, but less than much of South and Central America, Africa, and central Asia. However, that isn't the reason for our prison population explosion.

What I'm more interested in exploring, however, is the reason for this prison population explosion, the negative impact it has on our country, and steps we should be taking to slow down the growth rate:

Here's an idea. Since you're so keen on the rights of our incarcerated, and how they are really all model citizens who don't deserve to be in prison, let's do this. We'll take all the inmates from a prison and re-settle them all in your neighborhood. Then we'll all be happy peachy, no?

Yes, our crime rates are lower than Africa and Central Asia. I guess you missed that part where I said first world countries, how convenient.

Also, I've never talked about number of people locked up. I'm talking cold, hard, crimes committed, regardless of whether or not perp was caught/locked up.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #72
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Holy shit this thread is totally assanine. How they hell do you argue that it's OK to drive faster because you're an awesome driver, your car is safe and any other BS excuse you come up with? It's an F-ing law. It's not a suggestion. It's not optional. It's the damn law. Break the law, suffer consequences.

Here's the rub - the bigger issue (on US roads) is the speed differential. You may be a spectacular driver, but you have no clue what's going on behind the wheels of all of those other cars around you. You'll quickly learn the limits of your skills, your tires' adhesion and physics if they do something you didn't anticipate.

The reason this isn't an issue in Germany is the fact that everyone in Germany actually earned their licenses and the actually, wait for it, follow the rules. No BS egocentric crap like closing the gap so cars can't merge, no passing on the right, no brake checks. They do it right. They know how things need to be done and they do it. You CAN have big speed differentials because the drivers all know to be aware of what's going on around them. Americans are too self-absorbed to ever be capable of this sort of thing. Because, you know, they're above following the rules...

Now, do I drive the speed limit all the time? Rarely. Do I stay right, pass left, yield the right of away every time I should - you're damn right I do. Be safe. Use your head. Don't be a dick feeding the elitest prick stereotype BMW drivers have to live with.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #73
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
Here's an idea. Since you're so keen on the rights of our incarcerated, and how they are really all model citizens who don't deserve to be in prison, let's do this. We'll take all the inmates from a prison and re-settle them all in your neighborhood. Then we'll all be happy peachy, no?
All of them? No thanks. The more than half of them that were involved in non-violent and victimless crimes? Sure, bring 'em over.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #74
Koca
Rep
Drives: In the factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
The reason this isn't an issue in Germany is the fact that everyone in Germany actually earned their licenses and the actually, wait for it, follow the rules. No BS egocentric crap like closing the gap so cars can't merge, no passing on the right, no brake checks. They do it right. They know how things need to be done and they do it. You CAN have big speed differentials because the drivers all know to be aware of what's going on around them. Americans are too self-absorbed to ever be capable of this sort of thing. Because, you know, they're above following the rules...
I'm sorry, but it seems to me that you haven't been to Germany either for a very long time or not at all. Yes, there are people that drive by the book, but at least 60% don't. They also hog the left lane, endanger the people in front of them by stick to their rear bumper, drive too fast where they're not supposed to...

But I do think the biggest difference between US and EU drivers is the fact that a lot of Americans don't focus on the actual driving of the car but text, call people, eat...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #75
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi
All of them? No thanks. The more than half of them that were involved in non-violent and victimless crimes? Sure, bring 'em over.
Would love to hear about these victimless crimes. No such thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #76
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koca View Post
I'm sorry, but it seems to me that you haven't been to Germany either for a very long time or not at all. Yes, there are people that drive by the book, but at least 60% don't. They also hog the left lane, endanger the people in front of them by stick to their rear bumper, drive too fast where they're not supposed to...

But I do think the biggest difference between US and EU drivers is the fact that a lot of Americans don't focus on the actual driving of the car but text, call people, eat...
I've spent plenty of time driving in Germany. In the US, 99.99% of drivers do the very things you've mentioned. I'm sure it's not perfect all the time, but it's a hell of a lot better than anywhere here in the US.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #77
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Anyone else with me that speed limits need to be changed? The furthest left lanes should be for passing only and have a higher speed limit. Car pool lanes should also have a minimum higher speed limit. Cant stand those guys in the carpool lane driving slower than those who arent.
And cant stand the guy in the first lane causing traffic. Speed up or get the hell out of the way.

Imo these changes would make traffic less severe. I need to run for office just to get these things changes. That would be success!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #78
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny
Quote:
There are plenty of ppl locked up amongst the dirt of the dirt for nothing. The druggies that are harmless, the petty thief, the dui-er, etc. You cant be that blind to it can you?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #79
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

In CA. Drivers who pass 100mhp+ will get two points and a huge fine with ard $1000+. Cops wouldn't lock you up unless they ticket you for a rackless driving.
      12-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #80
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv View Post
You must be a cop or a teacher from traffic school. I read these kind of info at the traffic school.
      12-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #81
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
Your posts makes a lot more sense now. Immature and young. You'll learn as you grow up little one.
Just because he's a 16 doesn't mean he is immature, Age has nothing to do with driving you can be driving for 30 years and be pretty shitty!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #82
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
Not sure what you're trying to point at. But with the emergence of smartphones people are texting, reading email and not paying attention and they hit someone or kill themselves I do a lot of highway driving and Iv'e never seen someone speeding while texting.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #83
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
There are plenty of ppl locked up amongst the dirt of the dirt for nothing. The druggies that are harmless, the petty thief, the dui-er, etc. You cant be that blind to it can you?
Druggies are not safe (bath salts anyone? Wanna get your face eaten off?). "Petty thief" is a VICTIMLESS crime?! So whoever they stole from isn't a victim? DUI-ers kill thousands every year in crashes.

Your argument is invalid.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #84
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi
Quote:
Druggies are not safe (bath salts anyone? Wanna get your face eaten off?). "Petty thief" is a VICTIMLESS crime?! So whoever they stole from isn't a victim? DUI-ers kill thousands every year in crashes.

Your argument is invalid.
Are all drug users dangerous? NO.
Are all shop lifters dangerous? NO.

Dont tell me you are scared of every single one of these people.

Ive had my door knocked down by law enforecement for a search and seize and faced 15 years for five counts of various felonies. I was able to beat it. Does that make me dangerous? Should you be scared of me? No. Please dont generalize addicts as those who eat ppls face off because of an incident in Florida. Thats like saying computer programmers are murderers (McAfee) - just plain dumb. I see your other posts and you come across very knowledgeable in many things and to see this post from you I am amazed.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #85
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Ive had my door knocked down by law enforecement for a search and seize and faced 15 years for five counts of various felonies. I was able to beat it. Does that make me dangerous? Should you be scared of me? No. Please dont generalize addicts as those who eat ppls face off because of an incident in Florida. Thats like saying computer programmers are murderers (McAfee) - just plain dumb. I see your other posts and you come across very knowledgeable in many things and to see this post from you I am amazed.
Do the police have time to sort through cases one by one, and judge each and every shoplifter and drug addict on a case by case basis? No. How do we know which drug user and which thief will move on to bigger crimes? We don't. So should the rest of the law abiding citizens live in constant uncertainty of which one's the "bad" druggie, or should we just say, hey, lets just NOT let people do illegal shit and get away with it on the off chance they may be a "safe" criminal.

If you've faced 5 counts of various felonies, then maybe you should consider a lifestyle change yourself, rather than advocating laxer laws.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #86
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi
Quote:

Do the police have time to sort through cases one by one, and judge each and every shoplifter and drug addict on a case by case basis? No. How do we know which drug user and which thief will move on to bigger crimes? We don't. So should the rest of the law abiding citizens live in constant uncertainty of which one's the "bad" druggie, or should we just say, hey, lets just NOT let people do illegal shit and get away with it on the off chance they may be a "safe" criminal.

If you've faced 5 counts of various felonies, then maybe you should consider a lifestyle change yourself, rather than advocating laxer laws.
Its not the police's job to look at each case. Its the judge's job to do that.
Who the hell are you to tell me to make a lifestyle change?

Im in financial planning and analysis for a major corporation in the US - does my past make up who I am today?

You are judging without even knowing me. I think I just made my point. So ignorant. That would make you a potential hazard to the community if youve ever driven over 65mph. How do we know you wont turn into a reckless driver who will drive under the influence in the future?

The only point im trying to make is you shouldnt generalize certain ppl no matter what. There are a bunch of chicken shit bitch made pussies out there that are locked up hence another members points on that he wouldnt mind half of those said ppl in jail to be dropped off into his neighborhood. And ppl change too. Im scared of myself when i think about my ways many years ago. Please excuse the language.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #87
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Its not the police's job to look at each case. Its the judge's job to do that.
Who the hell are you to tell me to make a lifestyle change?

Im in financial planning and analysis for a major corporation in the US - does my past make up who I am today?

You are judging without even knowing me. I think I just made my point. So ignorant. That would make you a potential hazard to the community if youve ever driven over 65mph. How do we know you wont turn into a reckless driver who will drive under the influence in the future?

The only point im trying to make is you shouldnt generalize certain ppl no matter what. There are a bunch of chicken shit bitch made pussies out there that are locked up hence another members points on that he wouldnt mind half of those said ppl in jail to be dropped off into his neighborhood. And ppl change too. Im scared of myself when i think about my ways many years ago. Please excuse the language.
You're the one advocating changing the entire US legal system based on your own experiences/observations. If, as according to you, I'm not even justified in judging one person of whom I've communicated with, then what entitles you to judge the thousands of people in jail?

People aren't locked up in prison because they "might" do something in the future. They're locked up because they've already broken a law.

Do I think certain laws and regulations are outdated or ridiculous? Yes. But I will never condone a lax attitude towards theft, DUI, or hard drugs (and no, people don't get locked up for having a baggie of weed, I'm talking trying to move a kilo of cocaine).

I don't care who you are or what you do, if you get caught driving while completely drunk, or decide it's right to steal from someone else, then you deserve the punishment.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #88
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny
Quote:
Blind? No, I'm merely saying there is always a victim, one way or another, and your examples don't disprove that. You seem to be arguing with someone else's post, not mine.
Appreciate 0