F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Speeding Laws in different States
Extreme Powerhouse

12-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #89
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
You're the one advocating changing the entire US legal system based on your own experiences/observations. If, as according to you, I'm not even justified in judging one person of whom I've communicated with, then what entitles you to judge the thousands of people in jail?

People aren't locked up in prison because they "might" do something in the future. They're locked up because they've already broken a law.

Do I think certain laws and regulations are outdated or ridiculous? Yes. But I will never condone a lax attitude towards theft, DUI, or hard drugs (and no, people don't get locked up for having a baggie of weed, I'm talking trying to move a kilo of cocaine).

I don't care who you are or what you do, if you get caught driving while completely drunk, or decide it's right to steal from someone else, then you deserve the punishment.
How do you go from a baggie of weed to moving a kilo. ppl get locked up for a half a gram of crack. I am NOT condoning a lax attitude towards the above offenses. I am simply stating that NOT all criminals are what you think they are.

I've seen county and I have many friends who are on parol from state / federal prison - ranging in offenses from GTA, slanging, and even the RICO Act. They are now outstanding citizens - counselors, activists, etc.

I agree with you if you did the crime, you gotta do the time. I'm not saying they don't deserve to be in jail - I'm simply stating that NOT ALL are vicious and whatever animals you may think they are. Often times the most humblest of people are the ones that got themselves into DEEP shit at a point in their lives.

My original post was only a thought after years of observing traffic and perhaps a means to create a better flow for everybody. I wasn't saying fuck it, lets have anarchy.

But ok, you win.

Last edited by pkimM3r; 12-26-2012 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #90
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
How do you go from a baggie of weed to moving a kilo. ppl get locked up for a half a gram of crack. I am NOT condoning a lax attitude towards the above offenses. I am simply stating that NOT all criminals are what you think they are.

I've seen county and I have many friends who are on parol from state / federal prison - ranging in offenses from GTA, slanging, and even the RICO Act. They are now outstanding citizens - counselors, activists, etc.

I agree with you if you did the crime, you gotta do the time. I'm not saying they don't deserve to be in jail - I'm simply stating that NOT ALL are vicious and whatever animals you may think they are. Often times the most humblest of people are the ones that got themselves into DEEP shit at a point in their lives.

My original post was only a thought after years of observing traffic and perhaps a means to create a better flow for everybody. I wasn't saying fuck it, lets have anarchy.

But ok, you win.
The major point I disagreed with you was this:

"There are plenty of ppl locked up amongst the dirt of the dirt for nothing. The druggies that are harmless, the petty thief, the DUI"

I interpreted this as you considering DUIs, thievery, and druggies to be, in your words, "nothing", and thus they don't deserve punishment. Previous poster was arguing that these people shouldn't be in jail AT ALL.

But yes, I agree that not all crimes are equal, and punishment for say pocketing a bag of cheetos from a deli shouldn't be equal to that of say breaking into someone's house.

So as long as we agree that if you do crime you should do time (and I do agree that people can change for the better, I'm not saying that once you commit a crime you're permanently a good for nothing), we're all peachy.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #91
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
The major point I disagreed with you was this:

"There are plenty of ppl locked up amongst the dirt of the dirt for nothing. The druggies that are harmless, the petty thief, the DUI"

I interpreted this as you considering DUIs, thievery, and druggies to be, in your words, "nothing", and thus they don't deserve punishment. Previous poster was arguing that these people shouldn't be in jail AT ALL.

But yes, I agree that not all crimes are equal, and punishment for say pocketing a bag of cheetos from a deli shouldn't be equal to that of say breaking into someone's house.

So as long as we agree that if you do crime you should do time (and I do agree that people can change for the better, I'm not saying that once you commit a crime you're permanently a good for nothing), we're all peachy.
I still feel that those offenses you mentioned are rather minute considering there are rapists / child molesters (these two are the worst and deserve what they are getting on the inside as well) / murderers / etc. That doesn't mean that there are no punishments for them. I actually feel bad for the guy who gets locked up for one of those "smaller" crimes. I don't believe those are "aggravated felonies" and it sucks to be within the same walls as those that have committed heinous crimes. Think about how that person would feel in there - he would be scared shitless.

That is what I think I meant to say. lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #92
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I still feel that those offenses you mentioned are rather minute considering there are rapists / child molesters (these two are the worst and deserve what they are getting on the inside as well) / murderers / etc. That doesn't mean that there are no punishments for them. I actually feel bad for the guy who gets locked up for one of those "smaller" crimes. I don't believe those are "aggravated felonies" and it sucks to be within the same walls as those that have committed heinous crimes. Think about how that person would feel in there - he would be scared shitless.

That is what I think I meant to say. lol.
From what little I know, I believe the people in jail for things like theft/drugs/GTA (unless it's like crime syndicate level) usually don't end up in the same prisons as the gangbangers rapists and murderers. That's why there's max security prisons, penitentiaries, and county jails (I could be wrong, but yeah I don't think they deserve to all be in the same place).

"Petty" criminals like DUI, shoplifting, and minor drugs (a few grams etc) I believe only spend a night/longer in a local PD/county jail, not full blown prison. They can usually easily post bail, and are rarely hit with hard prison terms.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #93
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
I find it amusing that so many people think it's alright to go 30mph over the posted limit.

In NY,
10-19mph over limit the cops won't care generally.
20-29mph over you will be pulled over. 6 points + few hundred bucks fine.
30+ over you are gonna get charged for reckless driving and license suspension.

I went 20mph over twice and they costed me over $1000 to fight the tickets off and I still have 2 points on my record.

If you've been doing 30mph+ regularly, you are lucky you haven't been caught yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #94
AP
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Ignoring what the speed linit may be (anywhere in the world for that matter) , I think its inappropiate speed thats wrong.
I'm sure we all go over the speed limit a little.

I tihnk the main thing to obide to is to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. In residential areas where there are parked cars, you could have people wander out with very little notice and hence that is why speed limits are low, to give you the time to stop.
With motorways and fast roads, if the road can be seen to be clear and you can stop in that distance, then even if thats 100mph, that might be considered to be safe. However if you are on the motorway (in the UK for example) and say 65 mph but right up the backside of the car in front, that might be a legal speed but its dangerous as will not be able to stop in time for any incident that might occur.

Police are trained to exceed the speed limits but only do so where they can see whats up ahead and can stop in that distance if required.

Governments have to set the limit somewhere and presumably have to set it up assuming the lowest level of driver skill .

Its all about reading the road, if you can do that , you should be as safe as possible.My own view is that a few mph over the limit is not necessairly dangerous but you must be able to stop in the distance that you can see clear, if that distance is not great you slow down and assume that the unexpected IS expected.
There is a saying, only a fool breaks the 2 second rule.(leave at minimum a 2 second gap between you and the traffic or obsticles in front - and that assume a dry road)

If you want to see examples of bad driving, just google "car crash compilations" and you find a lot of videos (most seem to be from Russia) where people are not keeping their distance, not performing a mirror / signal / manouvre . Some of those are no doubt obeying speed limits but bad driving is to blame, not doing the basics.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #95
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I don't routinely go 30 mph over the speed limit. However, I DO pass congregations of cars that block passage and safe travel. Staying amongst a pack of friggun idiots is far more dangerous than speeding.

I think more emphasis should be placed on ticketing people in the left lane and those who drive side by side with other cars. This is when I get aggressive and upset. I don't like to drive aggressively and weave out of traffic, but some people need to get their heads out of their asses.

I usually maintain 10-15 over the limit. Very rarely more unless the highway is empty. My car just glides and sometimes it goes 30 over without really noticing when I'm alone on the road.

I HATE getting boxed in on the highway. I cannot understand why people travel in packs instead of getting away from the traffic.

Of course you can't pass the traffic if the whole highway is jammed but that's another story.

I certainly think that you shouldn't be driving more than 10 mph in the city. Highways are another matter.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #96
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna
I don't routinely go 30 mph over the speed limit. However, I DO pass congregations of cars that block passage and safe travel. Staying amongst a pack of friggun idiots is far more dangerous than speeding.

I think more emphasis should be placed on ticketing people in the left lane and those who drive side by side with other cars. This is when I get aggressive and upset. I don't like to drive aggressively and weave out of traffic, but some people need to get their heads out of their asses.

I usually maintain 10-15 over the limit. Very rarely more unless the highway is empty. My car just glides and sometimes it goes 30 over without really noticing when I'm alone on the road.

I HATE getting boxed in on the highway. I cannot understand why people travel in packs instead of getting away from the traffic.

Of course you can't pass the traffic if the whole highway is jammed but that's another story.

I certainly think that you shouldn't be driving more than 10 mph in the city. Highways are another matter.
Agree. In the city i go 5 mph over limit except school zones.

I get through the pack as well then slow down then get through another pack and so on. I usually highbeam the car in front from a ways away (in the left lane) to let them know im coming and give them the noce thank you wave if they let me pass. Those that dont usually have no clue what is going on behind them and then there is the rare occasion of the douchebag that knows and doesnt let me pass and gives me the finger when i pass on the right lol. Really??
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #97
c3r2z8f30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 540ix & 2021 x5 40i

I believe that in the highways we can drive our cars at more than 65+, like in Germany. In Montana they had no speed limits the problem with our country or more our states is that we are not taught to drive at those speeds. If states properly taught us how to drive at much higher speeds there would be less fatalities and accidents as in other countries do. Even if year after year car manufactures make faster cars that are much easier to drive at three digit speeds. I live in IL And think that 55 mph is really studied on a highway.
Appreciate 0