F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Battery discharging when stationary
Studio RSR

10-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Co/2022 X5 M50i

Battery discharging when stationary

Morning all. Got this warning on the car this morning. Any ideas what might be causing it? I had audio upgrade done a couple of weeks ago so I was wondering if that might be the cause but no idea if that is right or why it would be doing it. Appreciate any guidance.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Felosenco
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 428i M Sport Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kier77
Morning all. Got this warning on the car this morning. Any ideas what might be causing it? I had audio upgrade done a couple of weeks ago so I was wondering if that might be the cause but no idea if that is right or why it would be doing it. Appreciate any guidance.
Now there's a coincidence, I got the same warning yesterday morning. My wife told me that the engine fan was running at 1:30am - strange since I had stopped driving 7hrs previously. BMW had it for the day and could find no logged errors, but they did do a software update that they said should help (apparently we're not the only ones). My mirrors were also folding by themselves when the car was stationary and unlocked- WTF?? Interestingly, my wife's Mini Countryman had a similar issue. It turned out to be a faulty thermostat.
      10-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felosenco View Post
Now there's a coincidence, I got the same warning yesterday morning. My wife told me that the engine fan was running at 1:30am - strange since I had stopped driving 7hrs previously.
We've noticed the same thing a couple of times. I've walked into the garage hours after last driving the car to hear a loud fan going. I just figured it was normal and didn't worry too much but perhaps I should take it in to the dealer for a look.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
Felosenco
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Now there's a coincidence, I got the same warning yesterday morning. My wife told me that the engine fan was running at 1:30am - strange since I had stopped driving 7hrs previously.
We've noticed the same thing a couple of times. I've walked into the garage hours after last driving the car to hear a loud fan going. I just figured it was normal and didn't worry too much but perhaps I should take it in to the dealer for a look.
I have heard it a couple of times myself, it stops when I open the door. Initially I thought somebody had left a hose running outside as it sounds like water running through the pipes in the wall :

I'll let you know if the update has fixed things, but I would take it in and get them to look at it. Don't let them tell you lock the car as soon as you get home so that it puts the car to sleep, that's just a band aid solution.
      10-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Don't let them tell you lock the car as soon as you get home so that it puts the car to sleep, that's just a band aid solution.
I lock my car every time so don't think that does stop it
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
Felosenco
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Don't let them tell you lock the car as soon as you get home so that it puts the car to sleep, that's just a band aid solution.
I lock my car every time so don't think that does stop it
Thanks, good to know.