F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone considering modifying their 335i or 335d?
Studio RSR

12-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Anyone considering modifying their 335i or 335d?

As above, is anyone thinking of going down the modifying route with their F30 335?

I'm not just talking M Performance add-ons like spoilers, etc. More remapping, sports exhausts, different / bigger alloys, etc.

I know the likes of Hartage and AC Schnitzer do various bits but they are very expensive.

Its a relatively new model, but would be nice to hear if anyone has any big plans for more power, better handling, etc. . .
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

I've already looked at Hartge option. If I was going for a 3rd party engine tuning option, that would be it without question. The warranty they offer is VERY reassuring and is the only company I found that would cover the BMW components in the event of BMW not honouring the warranty due to the modification. THAT is why it is very expensive. Kevin Bird said that they've never had any issues with the mod on the 6 cyl diesels but warranty's there to give piece of mind to someone looking to modify their £45k's worth of pride and joy. I did have the option of buying a kit at a massively reduced price but without the warranty - in the end I chickened out.

I've also been offered another diesel tuners kit to try for free but again I've decided against it as it's crazy taking the depreciation hit on a new car only to bugger up your 3 yr warranty - surely that's one of the reasons for buying a new car?!!

What the car truly needs is to ditch the runflats. That would allow you to put on stiffer springs and arb. Retune of dampers and you're away.... better control on the limit whilst keeping lovely ride. Or of course, just go and buy a D3
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I haven't even got mine yet, but already have been looking in to things. I won't be in a hurry though:

Hartge ECU - power up to 350 ish bhp but it's £2k. I will probs do in a couple of years when 313 feels to 'ordinary'!

LSD - interested to see whether the MPerformance one will be made for the xdrive. Alternatives are the Alpina one or Quaife one from Birds

Suspension - Mixed reviews on how good the standard suspension is. I will look to see what comes available as love the idea of a proper premium suspension set up from the likes of Alpina, KW, Ohlins. especially if it can provide softer and harder options.

We've kitted our car out with everything with the plan to keep it for 6 years and well over 100k miles, so I will need to replace components (esp suspension) anyway, and will probs wait till then to do the suspension stuff. I hope there will be more options after a couple of years too.

Brakes: Currently will have the MSport brakes, but the drilled rotors from the MPerformance range will go on if they fit (which I've heard they do)

Wheels: I like the 20" M Performance ones so may eventually get a set of them on Michelin Pilot super sports ie. non runflat
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Yeah D3 is nice but too much poppy at present as I doubt they'll discount at all.

Hartage may be the way I go but it will be a long way down the line i think. Your right about the warranty and the risk of a claim being rejected due to modifications is too much to bear.

To me it almost seems obscene to be thinking about modifying a £45k diesel car but it's sometimes nice to have that bit of individuality and no doubt you'll get used to the power over time and want more.

Would like a nice set of 20" alloys with non runflats!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Yeah D3 is nice but too much poppy at present as I doubt they'll discount at all.

Hartage may be the way I go but it will be a long way down the line i think. Your right about the warranty and the risk of a claim being rejected due to modifications is too much to bear.

To me it almost seems obscene to be thinking about modifying a £45k diesel car but it's sometimes nice to have that bit of individuality and no doubt you'll get used to the power over time and want more.

Would like a nice set of 20" alloys with non runflats!
You do get used to the power. Always good for to drive the Disco for a couple of days to get some sense of reality again.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Alpina have already done this to perfection. Whether you are a diesel (say three hail Marys), or a petrol man, difficult to improve on a D or B 3. Job done.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Alpina have already done this to perfection. Whether you are a diesel (say three hail Marys), or a petrol man, difficult to improve on a D or B 3. Job done.
Yes, but they also charge a lot more for the priviledge! Also, I think they look good but not overly keen on the 80's style bodykits
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Too true. Mind you, once M3 hype has died in couple of years' time, if you're buying on PCP, it may well be cheaper to buy one of them than the B3/D3 with discounts that BMW give (and Alpina won't)!

Quite interested to see how far I will be able to push on discount next summer on an M3....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Not a 335, but I have ordered the M Performance Power Kit for the 330d M Sport I have on order.. The slight fly in the ointment is, however, that the kits are on back order and so I am unlikely to get it in time to have it fitted prior to delivery..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Not a 335, but I have ordered the M Performance Power Kit for the 330d M Sport I have on order.. The slight fly in the ointment is, however, that the kits are on back order and so I am unlikely to get it in time to have it fitted prior to delivery..
Probably means they'll be common as muck shortly! I'm sort of glad I decided against the kit now, I could never decide which I preferred, with or without the kit. I've got the black kidney grilles and a body coloured rear lip spoiler to be fitted on my car when it arrives.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
JohnM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibonyad View Post
Probably means they'll be common as muck shortly! I'm sort of glad I decided against the kit now, I could never decide which I preferred, with or without the kit. I've got the black kidney grilles and a body coloured rear lip spoiler to be fitted on my car when it arrives.
I had to wait several weeks for mine when I ordered back in September, quite the opposite they are not common as muck, most people are happy with the standard car. IMHO you can never have enough
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I had to wait several weeks for mine when I ordered back in September, quite the opposite they are not common as muck, most people are happy with the standard car. IMHO you can never have enough
Must admit I've only seen 1 or 2 with the kit fitted. BMW don't do anything in a hurry! Several weeks for parts and several months for cars. Yet, us suckers are queuing up for them.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibonyad View Post
Must admit I've only seen 1 or 2 with the kit fitted. BMW don't do anything in a hurry! Several weeks for parts and several months for cars. Yet, us suckers are queuing up for them.
I waited nearly a year for my last car. The set of winter wheels and tyres I bought for it turned up at the dealership about 3 months before the car did..!!! .. and, yes, I had to pay for them then (£3,600 worth!!)...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
The PPK is VIN specific, so unlikely they can actually make the PPK prior to the car being born.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
The PPK is VIN specific, so unlikely they can actually make the PPK prior to the car being born.
Absolutely.. and it makes life a little easier for me to have it this way (insurance etc) as I can just take delivery of the car first then sort out the other stuff a little later..

Actually, regards delivery, there's been some movement on that side of things and I think it's actually being born in Munich tomorrow or Saturday..! Finally..!!!

Now.. You have the PPK on your 330d, don't you NISFAN..? (If I recall my past thread-reading correctly).. How are you finding it now that you have had a chance to live with it a little while..?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely.. and it makes life a little easier for me to have it this way (insurance etc) as I can just take delivery of the car first then sort out the other stuff a little later..

Actually, regards delivery, there's been some movement on that side of things and I think it's actually being born in Munich tomorrow or Saturday..! Finally..!!!

Now.. You have the PPK on your 330d, don't you NISFAN..? (If I recall my past thread-reading correctly).. How are you finding it now that you have had a chance to live with it a little while..?
Yes I have the PPK. To be honest, it is more power everywhere in the rev range, but it just feels 'normal' to me now. I guess if I drove a standard 330d I might go "WTF???"

Seriously though, the car is now fully run in, and it is a joy to drive. Not particularly fast, but overtakes are a breeze.

I'm finding it has really impressive rear end grip for a pusher

I am waiting for PPK2, or a B3
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #17
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have the PPK. To be honest, it is more power everywhere in the rev range, but it just feels 'normal' to me now. I guess if I drove a standard 330d I might go "WTF???"
You get used to what you have under the bonnet don't you..

Quote:
Seriously though, the car is now fully run in, and it is a joy to drive. Not particularly fast, but overtakes are a breeze.
Yes, this is what I am looking forward to.

When I test drove the 330d it wasn't so much that it felt fast, or super nimble, or anything like that.. But it just felt 'quick' in a sense that it was just properly getting on with things.. I got the impression you could make pretty brisk progress.. that, in a 4-door saloon with a boot big enough to hold what I need it to hold..

I read somewhere (maybe it was a comment you made in another thread) that the PPK gave it a bit more oomph in the mid overtake range of things.. Kind of where you need it in the real world… and so I thought I'd give it a whirl..

Quote:
I'm finding it has really impressive rear end grip for a pusher

I am waiting for PPK2, or a B3
My last car was RWD and had tons of grip.. Mind, it did have the engine sat over the rear wheels and 305 wide Pilot Sport Cup tyres on it..!!!

I've been looking at D3's as well.. I think they look great and would be tempted in a few years time when the 330d goes..… Although I'll also be looking at the M3, I have to say..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You get used to what you have under the bonnet don't you..

Yes, this is what I am looking forward to.

When I test drove the 330d it wasn't so much that it felt fast, or super nimble, or anything like that.. But it just felt 'quick' in a sense that it was just properly getting on with things.. I got the impression you could make pretty brisk progress.. that, in a 4-door saloon with a boot big enough to hold what I need it to hold..

I read somewhere (maybe it was a comment you made in another thread) that the PPK gave it a bit more oomph in the mid overtake range of things.. Kind of where you need it in the real world… and so I thought I'd give it a whirl..

My last car was RWD and had tons of grip.. Mind, it did have the engine sat over the rear wheels and 305 wide Pilot Sport Cup tyres on it..!!!

I've been looking at D3's as well.. I think they look great and would be tempted in a few years time when the 330d goes..… Although I'll also be looking at the M3, I have to say..
I think it would be a B3 for me, or an M3.

The 330d is probably the perfect balance between economy and power. I can't see what a D3 brings - costly and less fuel economical no doubt. That being the case a PPK'd and Akrapovic equipped 335i would be similar in performance for a lot less money. Sure not as exclusive.
Appreciate 0