F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust cutouts for 428i GC?
GetBMWParts

12-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Hermesf
Hermes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i GC

Unhappy Exhaust cutouts for 428i GC?

Anyone know if there is room on a 428i GC to install an exhaust cutout? I know I should just jack it up and look but I am an old guy and getting lazy so thought I could just ask...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qtp-qtec33/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qtp-10900/overview/

Last edited by Hermesf; 12-16-2014 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

someone here on forum stated he did it but on f30
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
jamoka3
Assassin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i Xdrive M-SPORT

Were did you see that post about the F30; I'm intrigued...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

There's plenty of room to install one of these on an F30, especially right near the rear axles. I'd pick as far downstream as possible to save the unit from the excessive exhaust heat and pressure. Had these on other cars and they were great, when they weren't broken or being sent back to the manufacturer. If only they could be more reliable.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:29 AM   #5
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoka3 View Post
Were did you see that post about the F30; I'm intrigued...
Jamesons Viggen

He related to something like this and mentioned a 7whp difference on dyno, I don't really remember on what post though.
      12-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
Hermesf
Hermes
United_States
Rep

I was able to stop by a muffler shop today and put the car up on the lift...there is a cavity just ahead of the second catalytic converter that appears to have room to place the cutout...I will be using the low-profile unit from Quick TIme Performance so that will help the fit...if that does not work well, there is another spot just ahead of the muffler that will work for sure, but I am hoping to use the former since it will be ahaed of the second c-converter and the resonator...I am ordering parts tonight and will report back once the work is done...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
jamoka3
Assassin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i Xdrive M-SPORT

Do you think by doing the exhaust cut, BMW could void your warranty? I'm curious about this install, since I have the N26 twin power Turbo engine, I feel the cut out would let the engine breathe a lot better!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
Hermesf
Hermes
United_States
Rep

Do you think by doing the exhaust cut, BMW could void your warranty? I'm curious about this install, since I have the N26 twin power Turbo engine, I feel the cut out would let the engine breathe a lot better!

Don't know but suspect it might be an issue...figure worst case, if something were to arrise, I'll just take it back to the muffler shop and remove the cutout and patch the hole and tell BMW that I hit a rock and made a repair...

It will be interesting to see if the lesser back pressure alters the thinking of the system computer and therefore it then alters the tuning of the engine...we'll see - I'll report that too if I notice any performance hit that is distinguishable...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermesf View Post

Don't know but suspect it might be an issue...figure worst case, if something were to arrise, I'll just take it back to the muffler shop and remove the cutout and patch the hole and tell BMW that I hit a rock and made a repair...

It will be interesting to see if the lesser back pressure alters the thinking of the system computer and therefore it then alters the tuning of the engine...we'll see - I'll report that too if I notice any performance hit that is distinguishable...
Its just going to make a lot of noise. You may see a few extra HP mid-range and high in the RPM band, but not much. The most power to be gained from modifying the exhaust is eliminating the catalytic converter built into the downpipe.

Be sure they do not cut your exhaust where its oval or else it will be a real big pain repairing the stock pipe later on down the road. I'd also keep a hold of the piece they cut out when installing the cutout.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
Hermesf
Hermes
United_States
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
Its just going to make a lot of noise. You may see a few extra HP mid-range and high in the RPM band, but not much. The most power to be gained from modifying the exhaust is eliminating the catalytic converter built into the downpipe.

Be sure they do not cut your exhaust where its oval or else it will be a real big pain repairing the stock pipe later on down the road. I'd also keep a hold of the piece they cut out when installing the cutout.
Thanks for thoughts on future repair; my mod will be where the oval pipe is, but I am sure my guy can fix (patch) if needed.

Not at all concerned with any increae in performance - my comment was simply wondering if the computer might degrade performance somewhat as a result of the reduced back-pressure.

The whole point of this mod for me is to MAKE NOISE...I like to go out into the country and push hard on the roads and MAKE NOISE - sooths the soul!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for thoughts on future repair; my mod will be where the oval pipe is, but I am sure my guy can fix (patch) if needed.

Not at all concerned with any increae in performance - my comment was simply wondering if the computer might degrade performance somewhat as a result of the reduced back-pressure.

The whole point of this mod for me is to MAKE NOISE...I like to go out into the country and push hard on the roads and MAKE NOISE - sooths the soul!
Then you needa catless dp with it. The setup i have now is very loud !
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
Hermesf
Hermes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded View Post
Then you needa catless dp with it. The setup i have now is very loud !
How do you accomplish that - are there off-the-shelf parts or? Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #13
erroberts1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue F36 428i

I'm also very interested in this. If the cutout is controlled via radio fob, I imagine it can also be programmed to homelink which would be boss. Let us know if you proceed with this and what you think afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #14
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
How do you accomplish that - are there off-the-shelf parts or? Thanks...
you have to get an aftermarket downpipe, there are several brands, AFE, ER & Wagner ect. you can find them on each of their website or check **********s they have all brands so you can make a comparison if u want.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #15
Hermesf
Hermes
United_States
Rep

Oh, OK so you are not doing a temporary bypass like these cutouts, but rather a full time bypass...not sure I want to do that for this car since it is a street car and I have to get smogged every couple of years here in CA...so, only being able to make decent noise will have to do!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 02:49 AM   #16
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh, OK so you are not doing a temporary bypass like these cutouts, but rather a full time bypass...not sure I want to do that for this car since it is a street car and I have to get smogged every couple of years here in CA...so, only being able to make decent noise will have to do!
yes you will smell gas from exhaust from now & then & it will sure fail CO2 emission test,
I wish i would have done this bypass with dp it would be epic to control the sound !
Appreciate 0