F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Trunk Handle Not Working
Extreme Powerhouse

07-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #1
imquittingthecult
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-SPORT

Trunk Handle Not Working

So my Trunk Handle doesnt open the trunk anymore and I've been resorting to just opening it with my FOB. Does anyone know of how to trouble shoot this? Maybe there is a fuse I can check before I resort to replacing the handle.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

I’m having the same issue. I checked the fuses (in the trunk) but they’re all good. Gonna probably but a new switch and see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by imquittingthecult View Post
So my Trunk Handle doesnt open the trunk anymore and I've been resorting to just opening it with my FOB. Does anyone know of how to trouble shoot this? Maybe there is a fuse I can check before I resort to replacing the handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
I’m having the same issue. I checked the fuses (in the trunk) but they’re all good. Gonna probably but a new switch and see if that fixes it.
Hello, I had the very same problem with a different car before, so when the trunk lid button failed I knew what to do: basically, if you look underneath the handle and use a plastic trim tool to replicate the motion performed to open the trunk, you'll notice that the rubber had been torn such that a plastic part, can no longer touch the button (the button I'm making reference to can be seen at 1:33 in the following video ), that is responsible for opening the trunk.
The fix, is to replace the trunk handle as instructed in the video I mentioned.
The trunk lid button can be quite stubborn to remove from the outside, but it is much easier to release the locking tabs from the inside of the trunk.
The part number is different, depending on if you have a trunk lid button with or without rear view camera
Appreciate 1
hpopmds23.00
      07-14-2020, 12:54 AM   #4
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

So I replaced my handle and fixed the trunk not opening. The inner part of the old handle ripped and it wasn’t engaging the unlock switch. Still not sure why my comfort access “foot” unlock doesn’t work.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
shortbusruss
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i

Just fyi, as stated above, there are different part numbers for the trunk handle, but I will caution, this applies to both handles with and without rear view camera. Some vehicles come with a trunk handle that has a separate piece of plastic that rotates to click the electronic button,and updated handles have a different switch, and a handle mechanism that is all one piece, with the actuator lever physically being attached to the rubber handle.

Make sure you know which one you have before buying retrofit kits like the one from Bimmertech, as they might assume you have the updated part. If you have an older handle with separate actuator lever, it may require a new electronic switch, and both pieces of the handle that clip together on either side of the trunk metal.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 01:23 PM   #6
hpopmds
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Me too, i have that problem with the trunk handle. It only works with the keyfob.
The trunk handle and the button near the hood opening button (near driver's foot) don't work - neither of them.
Could this bad trunk handle cause both buttons not to work?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 10:33 PM   #7
ervin65
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

My key fob or trunk handle and button in driver side doesnt work. I checked the fuses and put a new actuator in
Appreciate 0