F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > X drive ftw
GetBMWParts

02-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #133
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Aren't we getting hit with like 24 inches of snow this Friday-Saturday??

LOL, this thread is going to be epic with all the NYC'ers driving in it...(on summer tires!)

Seriously though, drive safe if you all have to...I'll be safely trekking along in my wife's AWD RDX with Snow tires (overkill in this thread for sure).

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #134
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Aren't we getting hit with like 24 inches of snow this Friday-Saturday??

LOL, this thread is going to be epic with all the NYC'ers driving in it...(on summer tires!)

Seriously though, drive safe if you all have to...I'll be safely trekking along in my wife's AWD RDX with Snow tires (overkill in this thread for sure).
Well in something like 24 inches of snow I'll be going out in a rental 4x4.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #135
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

stay safe out there fellow northeasters

lets see how good these RFT allseasons with xdrive handle in the snow
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #136
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

How are those all seasons working in Boston (2 ft) and New York (1 ft) today?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #137
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep

we'll know later today (6pm est).. no accumilation yet.. just some flurries that turned to mixed rain/snow..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #138
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Active Hybrid 3

Civilized societies in Germany and Canada where snow is prevalent require seasonal snow tires for a reason. It's about the risk you pose to other drivers and pedestrians. Clearly, you are unaware of the liability you open yourself up to in the event you plow into an innocent person.

As an attorney I would love to have you on that witness stand and grill you. With this blog thread in my hand, I would ask you to account for your behavior.

You would have no defense because you have demonstrated despite knowing that summer performance tires are not for winter conditions and discussing it smugly on a blog, you got in your car and knowingly potentially put others at risk. Just take a moment and think about it.

Bye Bye 335i and more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
I am riding in the snow in my summer performance tires. They stick just as well as the all seasons on my g37. Unless you are in some area with tons of snow it seems you don't even need all seasons with x drive
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #139
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEV View Post
Civilized societies in Germany and Canada where snow is prevalent require seasonal snow tires for a reason. It's about the risk you pose to other drivers and pedestrians. Clearly, you are unaware of the liability you open yourself up to in the event you plow into an innocent person.

As an attorney I would love to have you on that witness stand and grill you. With this blog thread in my hand, I would ask you to account for your behavior.

You would have no defense because you have demonstrated despite knowing that summer performance tires are not for winter conditions and discussing it smugly on a blog, you got in your car and knowingly potentially put others at risk. Just take a moment and think about it.

We have a winner! Great post.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #140
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
we'll know later today (6pm est).. no accumilation yet.. just some flurries that turned to mixed rain/snow..
In Toronto we are still getting more than an inch per hour. Hasnt stopped since 7am and its supposed to on until 6 or 7pm. Biggest storm we have had since 2009 . Supposed to be sunny and almost 40f on Sunday!
Drive safely everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #141
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
In Toronto we are still getting more than an inch per hour. Hasnt stopped since 7am and its supposed to on until 6 or 7pm. Biggest storm we have had since 2009 . Supposed to be sunny and almost 40f on Sunday!
Drive safely everyone.
Yep... It's nuts here in the T-Dot....

Funny enough, on my way to work yesterday on the 404, there was an Audi A5 Quattro in the ditch.. Only a slight dusting of snow at the time, but very cold. Didn't see the tires, but the Rims looked like 19" Audi OEM's. Which means there is a good chance he didn't have Winters..

My point is not to throw gas on this fire, just to say that AWD isn't the be all and end all (neither are Winter Tires for that matter). Smart, safe driving combined with BOTH of those is the way to go.. It never ceases to amaze me how idiotic people can be in this weather.

Be safe folks. It's nuts out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #142
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEV View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #143
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post

Funny enough, on my way to work yesterday on the 404, there was an Audi A5 Quattro in the ditch.. Only a slight dusting of snow at the time, but very cold. Didn't see the tires, but the Rims looked like 19" Audi OEM's. Which means there is a good chance he didn't have Winters..

My point is not to throw gas on this fire, just to say that AWD isn't the be all and end all (neither are Winter Tires for that matter). Smart, safe driving combined with BOTH of those is the way to go.. It never ceases to amaze me how idiotic people can be in this weather.

probably had summers on. That thing is a beast with winters. STILL snowing.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #144
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post

Absolutely true. The one thing you can't teach or buy is common sense. As I said earlier, I literally see a half-dozen or more cars/trucks on their roofs in the center median on one of our local highways. AWD and winter tires are merely tools to help you make the most of what is available to you. They don't afford you the ability to pilot your vehicle as if the roads were dry. Tools and talent will only take you so far...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #145
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Only went out in my development in about 8" of snow in my driveway and 3-4 on the road since it had been plowed a couple times, as well as a little league field parking lot unplowed, about 8 inches. As far as I can tell from 20 mph in that, the all season pirellis with x drive seem pretty capable. Starting, stopping, turning, no issues. Again, only at low speeds, but that's all that's appropriate anyway..

Struggled to get back up the small hill of my driveway, but only from a standstill and punching it. Ran right up the hill with just a little momentum from the street and I'm sure would be fine from standstill easing on the gas. All in all, pretty respectable.

But yeah, doesn't mean you can drive it around like snow covered roads are a race track.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #146
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Only went out in my development in about 8" of snow in my driveway and 3-4 on the road since it had been plowed a couple times, as well as a little league field parking lot unplowed, about 8 inches. As far as I can tell from 20 mph in that, the all season pirellis with x drive seem pretty capable. Struggled to get back up the small hill of my driveway, but only from a standstill and punching it. Ran right up the hill with just a little momentum from the street and I'm sure would be fine from standstill easing on the gas. All in all, pretty respectable.

But yeah, doesn't mean you can drive it around like snow covered roads are a race track.
Fresh snow is one thing. Packed snow/ice is a whole other thing. Especially wet ice or ice when ambient temps are near or above freezing. Just proceed carefully!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #147
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Fresh snow is one thing. Packed snow/ice is a whole other thing. Especially wet ice or ice when ambient temps are near or above freezing. Just proceed carefully!
Amen... or heaven forbid black ice... I've hit that before. That's where that tiny extra % of grip can mean the difference of DSC saving your ass or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #148
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Took her out last night, the slush snow ice mix was dangerous, I got off the roads when CT governor shut them down.

If I was flooring it, car would fishtail nervously...if I drove at moderate speeds, was fine.

With over 12 inches of snow no car will do well, I felt fine and safe, but am driving the AWD RDX now since it can physically clear the 2 feet of snow out there...BMW is in the garage nice and toasty :-)

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #149
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Only went out in my development in about 8" of snow in my driveway and 3-4 on the road since it had been plowed a couple times, as well as a little league field parking lot unplowed, about 8 inches. As far as I can tell from 20 mph in that, the all season pirellis with x drive seem pretty capable. Starting, stopping, turning, no issues. Again, only at low speeds, but that's all that's appropriate anyway..

I don't think all this hub-bub was over the idea of X-drive on all seasons. It's the idea of X-Drive on summer tires.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #150
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep

i think xdrive with snow tires is overkill for nyc
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #151
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption
i think xdrive with snow tires is overkill for nyc
Go our right now.

That's when it gets fun!

It's black ice everywhere up here.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #152
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Took her out last night, the slush snow ice mix was dangerous, I got off the roads when CT governor shut them down.

If I was flooring it, car would fishtail nervously...if I drove at moderate speeds, was fine.

With over 12 inches of snow no car will do well, I felt fine and safe, but am driving the AWD RDX now since it can physically clear the 2 feet of snow out there...BMW is in the garage nice and toasty :-)

You have an RDX with 2 feet of ground clearance? Shit, my 3/4 ton diesel Suburban isn't even that tall...although it WILL push through 2 feet without an issue. I can, however, confirm that 3 feet is just too much unless I've got a head of steam and it's a drift.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #153
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Go our right now.

That's when it gets fun!

It's black ice everywhere up here.
Well he's in NYC like me. Over here, the roads have maybe 1/2 inch of slush. Some side streets maybe 2 inches of slush. No black ice, no snow, etc. All seasons on RWD were fine over the last 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #154
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
You have an RDX with 2 feet of ground clearance? Shit, my 3/4 ton diesel Suburban isn't even that tall...although it WILL push through 2 feet without an issue. I can, however, confirm that 3 feet is just too much unless I've got a head of steam and it's a drift.
haha, RAISED RDX, what up!?

Ok, it probably has 9 inches..the crunching sounds of flying over drifts was not great...I think I whacked a lot of ice last night.

All melting today...

Appreciate 0