F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car came back with scratches after service. Where do I stand?
proTUNING Freaks

03-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Unhappy Car came back with scratches after service. Where do I stand?

As per title. There are scratches down the side of the car that did not polish out by hand. Service representative brought me some polish. No joy. The check sheet shows no damage marked on the car. We both signed and agreed after the visual inspection before it went in for service. I know my car and the marks were not there.

He said there was nothing he could do as it was the weekend. He made the manager aware. The manager didn't come out and see me.

I am certain we're looking at hours of machine polishing. Time I don't have.
I don't want them to turn around and make some lies up having investigated the matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

they will almost certainly offer their valeters take it for an hour or so. thing is its probably the valeters zips on his jacket that have done in t.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
AndyEssex330d
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport +

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipnoob86 View Post
they will almost certainly offer their valeters take it for an hour or so. thing is its probably the valeters zips on his jacket that have done in t.
Exactly this.

Sorry to hear OP. I'd push them for what you want to fix it, for example if you want a detailer to fix it, they can cover the cost. You do need to let them try and rectify the issue first though, so I'd let them come back with an offer then based on that push for your own solution.

Hope it works out well sir

Andy
      03-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Feel for you mate. I always take photos of my wheels at the garage before it goes in for service. Just in case they kerb it.

However not sure how you prevent this apart from insisting they don't wash it. I know a lot of lads on here won't allow Dealers to wash their cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
As per title. There are scratches down the side of the car that did not polish out by hand. Service representative brought me some polish. No joy. The check sheet shows no damage marked on the car. We both signed and agreed after the visual inspection before it went in for service. I know my car and the marks were not there.

He said there was nothing he could do as it was the weekend. He made the manager aware. The manager didn't come out and see me.

I am certain we're looking at hours of machine polishing. Time I don't have.
I don't want them to turn around and make some lies up having investigated the matter.
Did you get it in writing that they will repair this as a form of result of after-visit inspection exception?
Did you take a picture at the dealership if scratch is visible in their garage?
Sounds like deep scrtaches thru the paint.. thats a paint job they better not wiggle out of
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #6
335dxdrive
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D Xdrive

Who washed it? BMW?

Tbh unless they are using 2 bucket method with stone filters it's very easy to scratch a car whist washing. For years I laughed at forums and detailers doing this, until I had a brand new car and saw this happening when I was washing it with 1 bucket
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
ioannisG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F30

Similar experience here at the dealers. Car went in with shiny like new wheels and came out with the laquer looking corroded, chipped and pitted.

Not sure if their washing did this or if they popped the wheels off (the centre hubs look like they were removed) but am properly annoyed and don't really know what to do as can't prove it's previous condition

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipnoob86 View Post
Yes one looks like a deep zip scratch
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEssex330d View Post
Exactly this.

Sorry to hear OP. I'd push them for what you want to fix it, for example if you want a detailer to fix it, they can cover the cost. You do need to let them try and rectify the issue first though, so I'd let them come back with an offer then based on that push for your own solution.

Hope it works out well sir

Andy
Thanks. I will push them like I did for my corroded alloys that were on the car last month when it was purchased.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Did you get it in writing that they will repair this as a form of result of after-visit inspection exception?
Did you take a picture at the dealership if scratch is visible in their garage?
Sounds like deep scrtaches thru the paint.. thats a paint job they better not wiggle out of
At the moment it is being investigated. So I can't get them to write something down and commit to a repair. I wouldn't want to get screwed over by them wiggling out.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dxdrive View Post
Who washed it? BMW?

Tbh unless they are using 2 bucket method with stone filters it's very easy to scratch a car whist washing. For years I laughed at forums and detailers doing this, until I had a brand new car and saw this happening when I was washing it with 1 bucket
Yes BMW. Two buckets is the best!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #12
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisG View Post
Similar experience here at the dealers. Car went in with shiny like new wheels and came out with the laquer looking corroded, chipped and pitted.

Not sure if their washing did this or if they popped the wheels off (the centre hubs look like they were removed) but am properly annoyed and don't really know what to do as can't prove it's previous condition

Did you note it on the inspection sheet? If you didn't then sorry there is nothing you can do. When mine went in we made a note of existing damage - only some stone chips. I signed. The dealer signed. We both kept a copy. So when I got the car back I used that as evidence. The scratches are deep and the bonnet alone will need a respray. It is very upsetting so I understand your frustration.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
Gixerste
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 430D m sport, 340i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisG View Post

If you think they have swapped you alloys, take them off and have a look at the date stamps on the inside of the wheels. If they don't match with each other or your cars age it may give you some scope to go back to the dealer with
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #14
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixerste View Post
If you think they have swapped you alloys, take them off and have a look at the date stamps on the inside of the wheels. If they don't match with each other or your cars age it may give you some scope to go back to the dealer with
Now that would be shocking.
      03-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #15
Gixerste
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 430D m sport, 340i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal027 View Post
Now that would be shocking.
Totally agree but as stated by ioannisG ....Car went in with shiny like new wheels and came out with the laquer looking corroded, chipped and pitted. ... That sounds like 2 different sets of alloys being described
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #16
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Totally agree but as stated by ioannisG ....Car went in with shiny like new wheels and came out with the laquer looking corroded, chipped and pitted. ... That sounds like 2 different sets of alloys being described
Agreed.

Imagine it would be deliberate as can't see all 4 being swapped in error.
      03-20-2017, 02:10 AM   #17
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Happened to my father in law's jag XF... the wheel came back looking slightly buckled and he knows his cars inside out like me... the tiniest of scratches... he knows it is there... anyhow... the dealership denied it flat out. He had them replaced at his own expense. He did not have an inspection sheet but if he had walked around the car with them and signed off any existing damage they would be screwed.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:16 AM   #18
ioannisG
Private First Class
Rep

So I've spent a couple of hours cleaning the wheels yesterday and doing a detailed inspection. What most likely happened based on the damage I see is they took the wheels off and simply threw them on each other on the garage floor or bumped them agains something metallic.. That would explain the dents as they look like metal to metal bumps and clear coat scrapes. The centre hubs have been most definately removed as I can see the glue/ dots of white goo they've used to put them back together pushing out from the wheel and that was not there before. The hubs were sitting completely flush.

Most likely they have not been swapped out as one of the wheels had a mark from laquer overspray that I had noticed before giving the car in and it's still there now.

Not sure if I can do anything as I did not have an inspection sheet before the vehicle was handed over. Best case is the wheels start corroding and I get to claim warranty. Worst case I refurbish them myself in a years time once the white worm has inevitably set in.

Has anyone refurbished the 19 403Ms to painted metallic silver vs. grey and diamond cut as they come from the factory? I'm thinking that would stop wheel corrosion without looking too different to the stock wheel colour.

Last edited by ioannisG; 03-20-2017 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:21 AM   #19
snipnoob86
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisG
So I've spent a couple of hours polishing and cleaning the wheels yesterday and from the marks I see what most likely happened is they took the wheels off and simply threw them on each other - that would explain the dents as they look like metal to metal bumps. The centre hubs have been most definately removed as I can see the glue they've used to put them back together pushing out from the wheel.

Most likely they have not been swapped out as one of the wheels had a mark from laquer overspray that I had noticed before giving the car in and it's still there now.

Not sure if I can do anything as I did not have an inspection sheet before the vehicle was handed over. Best case is the wheels start corroding and I get to claim warranty. Worst case I refurbish them myself in a years time once the white worm has inevitably set in.

Has anyone refurbished the 19 403Ms to painted metallic silver vs. grey and diamond cut as they come from the factory?
hi mate. I have diamond cut and refurbished? 403's. they do not cut back well at all. it is very easy to cut back to the black primer that is underneath. *where the wheel meets the silver cut and grey paint*
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:23 AM   #20
ioannisG
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah I know what you mean, it would look like a black line around the cut metal face right? Mine already looks a bit like that so it might be refurbished already (bought the car as approved used)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:33 AM   #21
snipnoob86
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisG
Yeah I know what you mean, it would look like a black line around the cut metal face right? Mine already looks a bit like that so it might be refurbished already (bought the car as approved used)
around the inside of the metal face and most likely each spoke itself, if not the first time deffinatly the second time. I had mine powder coated and lacquered in the end
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:49 AM   #22
ioannisG
Private First Class
Rep

Got any pictures by any chance? I'm leaning towards powder coating them once they get bad enough to need fixing.
Appreciate 0