F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Potentially got Easy seat entry coded in F36
Extreme Powerhouse

05-31-2015, 03:30 AM   #1
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

Last week I found a thread about "easy entry" coding for an F10:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=825923

Quote:
I have found new code for steering Wheel. When you stop the car and open the door, normally Steering Wheel is moving up. If you activate following code, the steering Wheel also will move axis length. Also I included easy entry exit driver seat that moves back when you exit.

Easy Entry axis inclination active (normally active):
FRM > EINSTIEGSH_NG_AKTIV

Easy Entry axis length active:
FRM > EINSTIEGSH_LN_AKTIV

SEQUENCE SELECTION:
FRM > PRIO_ACHSEN > 1 OR 2 (some cars doesnt work)

EASY ENTRY SEAT:
SM > EINAUSSTIEGSHILFE > Modus_FA_SLV

all these work on 2010 F10 5.20D
And this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=18

Since my F36 doesn't have power adjustment for steering wheel, I only coded this:

EASY ENTRY SEAT:

It didn't seem to work, so I gave up because everyone said F30 series doesn't support this.

Today, I misplaced my keys and due to being late for an appointment, I took the spare key for my F36 (435 GC). I had previously used this key fob in the car when I first got it as I mixed up the fobs. So I had the seats adjusted prviosily and think I adjusted the seat and saved it into the seat position memory.

What surprised me when I got with the second key fob, was that the seat was further back and when I started the car, it moved up 2-3".

This is either happening because:

1. My coding worked and it somehow bound to the second fob

2. My coding worked, and it's somehow related to the 1 and 2 seat position memories

3. The car by default comes with easy entry enabled shifting between memory 1 and 2 and it's just not happening with my fob because the seat memories are the exact same between 1 and 2.

I'm skeptical the answer is #3. My guess is that it's #2.

I'm planning on doing some more experimenting tomorrow on this but wanted to post a msg to get a convo started on this and potentially get help from other F36 owners to determine if coding does work or there is some other explanation.

Last edited by bobbydigital; 06-01-2015 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
botho
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 330d xDrive Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
Last week I found a thread about "easy entry" coding for an F10:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=825923" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bimmerfes...p?t=825923</a>

And this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=18" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bimmerfes...stcount=18</a>

Since my F36 doesn't have power adjustment for steering wheel, I only coded this:

EASY ENTRY SEAT:

It didn't seem to work, so I gave up because everyone said F30 series doesn't support this.

Today, I misplaced my keys and due to being late for an appointment, I took the spare key for my F36 (435 GC). I had previously used this key fob in the car when I first got it as I mixed up the fobs. So I had the seats adjusted prviosily and think I adjusted the seat and saved it into the seat position memory.

What surprised me when I got with the second key fob, was that the seat was further back and when I started the car, it moved up 2-3".

This is either happening because:

1. My coding worked and it somehow bound to the second fob

2. My coding worked, and it's somehow related to the 1 and 2 seat position memories

3. The car by default comes with easy entry enabled shifting between memory 1 and 2 and it's just not happening with my fob because the seat memories are the exact same between 1 and 2.

I'm skeptical the answer is #3. My guess is that it's #2.

I'm planning on doing some more experimenting tomorrow on this but wanted to post a msg to get a convo started on this and potentially get help from other F35 owners to determine if coding does work or there is some other explanation.
Hy,

It's working on F30... your problem is that your seat position is too much on the back so easy seat can't work since seat is already at it "maximum". This maximum position can be coded although

you have to play with :

EAH_SCHUTZFREIRAUM_HINTEN_SLV_PHYS
EAH_VERFAHRWEG_SLV_PHYS
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by botho
It's working on F30... your problem is that your seat position is too much on the back so easy seat can't work since seat is already at it "maximum". This maximum position can be coded although

you have to play with :

EAH_SCHUTZFREIRAUM_HINTEN_SLV_PHYS
EAH_VERFAHRWEG_SLV_PHYS
I'm only 5'9" so doubt my seat is that far back in the rails.

Why do you think this works for my second key fob and not primary?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
botho
Private
France
Rep

Quote:

Try setting your seat not so far to back on the primary key fob... On my F31, it's working with no problem

Or try to code others value as describe on the thread you already visit
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
I was checking the SM module for several cars and have concluded...

Vehicles produced before November 2013 DO NOT have the option of enabling easy access Modus_FA_SLV regardless of I-Step level.

Vehicles produced after November 2013 HAVE the option of enabling easy access.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #6
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by botho
Quote:

Try setting your seat not so far to back on the primary key fob... On my F31, it's working with no problem

Or try to code others value as describe on the thread you already visit
The seat is in exact same position on memory 1 for both key fobs. So the seat being too far back is not the problem.

Are some coding values saved somehow per key fob? Meaning if I coded easy seat entey while using one key fob, would it be set only for that one and not both fobs?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

you can assign different profiles to the 2 keys. For example one profile for me, one profile for my wife.

on my key/profile, memory 1 is my memory seat
on my wifes key/profile, memory 1 is her seat memory

do you think that could have been the case? you used the second key and it switched into that keys memory settings?
      06-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict
you can assign different profiles to the 2 keys. For example one profile for me, one profile for my wife.

on my key/profile, memory 1 is my memory seat
on my wifes key/profile, memory 1 is her seat memory

do you think that could have been the case? you used the second key and it switched into that keys memory settings?
No I don't think that's it. When I repeatedly use my wife's key, the chair will move in and out (aka easy entry).
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
botho
Private
France
Rep

Quote:
No I don't think that's it. When I repeatedly use my wife's key, the chair will move in and out (aka easy entry).
Very strange ? have no idea what 's the problem...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 12:05 AM   #10
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
My car is a October 2013 build, but has F020-14-07-503.

Was able to code SM2/3000/EINAUSSTIEGSHILFE -> Modus_FA_SLV

No luck getting it to work. However, there are separate entries that I also enabled...with no luck:

SM2/3000/EASY_ENTRY -> aktiv
SM2/3000/EASY_ENTRY_TTB -> aktiv

Wish I could get this to work.

EDIT: Nevermind. It works. The feature only works when the engine is started and door is closed.

Last edited by capt_slow; 06-21-2015 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #11
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

So this works if you have different memories saved?
      07-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #12
f30mvp
MVP
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post

No luck getting it to work. However, there are separate entries that I also enabled...with no luck:

EDIT: Nevermind. It works. The feature only works when the engine is started and door is closed.
So how can I use this feature I changed EINAUSSTIEGSHILFE -to-Modus_FA_SLV, but I see no difference.
Does the seat auto move back? Do you have to have Memory buttons configures specific way? Please explain further. Thanks
      07-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30mvp View Post
So how can I use this feature I changed EINAUSSTIEGSHILFE -to-Modus_FA_SLV, but I see no difference.
Does the seat auto move back? Do you have to have Memory buttons configures specific way? Please explain further. Thanks
I think coding the SM2 module will wipe out memory presets in much the same way coding NBT wipes out the radio button presets. After I coded, I set my seat memory settings again.

Easy Entry started working after a engine on/off cycle. The logic I've noticed is that the movement is triggered by certain events:

Easy Entry (ingress): Engine on, doors closed within 10-15 seconds of engine start
Easy Entry (egress): Engine off

The period right after coding is when you will catch the system in a corner case, where the seat is in driving position already and no movement is necessary. I think you need to cycle the engine (AKA drive it around the block) to trigger egress before Easy Entry actually kicks in.

Last edited by capt_slow; 07-05-2015 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Corrected egress steps
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
f30mvp
MVP
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think coding the SM2 module will wipe out memory presets in much the same way coding NBT wipes out the radio button presets. After I coded, I set my seat memory settings again.

Easy Entry started working after a engine on/off cycle. The logic I've noticed is that the movement is triggered by certain events:

Easy Entry (ingress): Engine on, doors closed within 10-15 seconds of engine start
Easy Entry (egress): Engine off, doors open (I think)

The period right after coding is when you will catch the system in a corner case, where the seat is in driving position already and no movement is necessary. I think you need to cycle the engine (AKA drive it around the block) to trigger egress before Easy Entry actually kicks in.
I'm still having no luck. Few more questions.
1. Which memory should be the egress (furthest back) setting? Memory 1 or 2
2. Under Settings Door locks do you have a check in "Last seat position auto" box?
3.Did you code anything else besides EINAUSSTIEGSHILFE -to-Modus_FA_SLV?
(When I coded it the memory on my seats didn't reset. I changed them anyway, but it didn't help.)

Thanks again.
      07-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #15
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30mvp View Post
I'm still having no luck. Few more questions.
1. Which memory should be the egress (furthest back) setting? Memory 1 or 2
2. Under Settings Door locks do you have a check in "Last seat position auto" box?
3.Did you code anything else besides EINAUSSTIEGSHILFE -to-Modus_FA_SLV?
(When I coded it the memory on my seats didn't reset. I changed them anyway, but it didn't help.)
1. I just set Memory 1 to my driving position
2. Yes, I have that setting enabled.
3. Yes. I also coded two other options in my previous post. Not sure if that did the trick though, since I coded all three in the same session.
      07-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
f30mvp
MVP
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
1. I just set Memory 1 to my driving position
2. Yes, I have that setting enabled.
3. Yes. I also coded two other options in my previous post. Not sure if that did the trick though, since I coded all three in the same session.
Thanks for your help. I went and coded the other 2 values you mentioned earlier. Still didn't seem to be working. Then after getting a car wash it magically started working. Then stopped working once I adjusted seats. Did some research on what BOTHO said and messed around with
SM2>3012 EAH_SHUTZFREIRAUM_HINTEN_SLV_PHYS
Changed from 00, 65 to 00,3C (letting it move back much further)
I also adjusted the below code for the front clearance
SM2>3012 EAH_VERFAHRWEG_SLV_PHYS
Changed from 00, 3C to 00, 28.
Now it seems to work all the time as i want. The values I changed are hex and can be anything that suits the driver. Thanks for your help on this! Another great feature!
      08-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #17
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:

CPTSlow,

I have F30 with July 13 build date and current I-Step is F020-14-11-502.

I initially coded just the one item: SM2 > 3000 > EINAUSSTIEGSHILFE > from nicht_aktiv to Modus_FA_SLV. No Joy!

Will try the other two items you mentioned, though it looks like from the comments that it doesn't apply to F30???

Will post my results
Thank you very much

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #18
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Works great for me! I LOVE this new feature!!! I'm always bumpin' into the freaking steering wheel on the way in and out - no more!!!

2014 F30 328i m-sport (production date: 08/19/2013) - for me, I just changed these 3:

FDL Coding:
SM2 -> 3000 SM_GLOBAL -> EINAUSSTIEGSHILFE = Modus_FA_SLV
SM2 -> 3012 EAH -> EAH_VERFAHRWEG_SLV_PHYS = Werte=00, 28
SM2-> 3012 EAH -> EAH_SCHUTZFREIRAUM_HINTEN_SLV_PHYS = Werte=00, 3C

Note: this last value (EAH_SCHUTZFREIRAUM_HINTEN_SLV_PHYS) could unintentionally disable this feature if your seat encroaches within this many mm from the rear end of the rail. Some suspect this is a safety thing to protect the knees of your passenger in the rear seat. By default this value is 0x64 (100mm). If this feature doesn't work, change this value to something smaller like i did - e.g. 0x3c (60mm) - it allows your seat to go back further and still keep this cool feature

iDrive:
- under Settings ->Doors/lock: "Last seat position automatic" box is checked

New Behavior:
Turn off the engine and open the door: Seat automatically slides back a few inches, allowing easy exit
Turn on engine : Seat automatically slides forward a few inches, getting your seat into driver's position

I didn't mess with key FOBs or memory seat settings at all. Whatever i had just seemed to work as is. I didn't have to drive around the block, or leave the garage, or go to a car wash (lol ) or anything. As soon as the coding was done, all i had to do was turn off engine and open the door, or just turn on engine

Note: I don't have 'FRM' ECU on my car for the power-adjustment steering wheel either, so i can't code that on my F30. My steering wheel can't move like that Othewise, it would be nice for the steering wheel to also get outta the way when i'm getting into my car. I'm thinking that's only available for the 5-series and up??

Last edited by squidlyboy; 08-04-2015 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 5
      09-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Works great for me! I LOVE this new feature!!! I'm always bumpin' into the freaking steering wheel on the way in and out - no more!!!

2014 F30 328i m-sport (production date: 08/19/2013) - for me, I just changed these 3:

FDL Coding:
SM2 -> 3000 SM_GLOBAL -> EINAUSSTIEGSHILFE = Modus_FA_SLV
SM2 -> 3012 EAH -> EAH_VERFAHRWEG_SLV_PHYS = Werte=00, 28
SM2-> 3012 EAH -> EAH_SCHUTZFREIRAUM_HINTEN_SLV_PHYS = Werte=00, 3C

Note: this last value (EAH_SCHUTZFREIRAUM_HINTEN_SLV_PHYS) could unintentionally disable this feature if your seat encroaches within this many mm from the rear end of the rail. Some suspect this is a safety thing to protect the knees of your passenger in the rear seat. By default this value is 0x64 (100mm). If this feature doesn't work, change this value to something smaller like i did - e.g. 0x3c (60mm) - it allows your seat to go back further and still keep this cool feature

iDrive:
- under Settings ->Doors/lock: "Last seat position automatic" box is checked

New Behavior:
Turn off the engine and open the door: Seat automatically slides back a few inches, allowing easy exit
Turn on engine : Seat automatically slides forward a few inches, getting your seat into driver's position

I didn't mess with key FOBs or memory seat settings at all. Whatever i had just seemed to work as is. I didn't have to drive around the block, or leave the garage, or go to a car wash (lol ) or anything. As soon as the coding was done, all i had to do was turn off engine and open the door, or just turn on engine

Note: I don't have 'FRM' ECU on my car for the power-adjustment steering wheel either, so i can't code that on my F30. My steering wheel can't move like that Othewise, it would be nice for the steering wheel to also get outta the way when i'm getting into my car. I'm thinking that's only available for the 5-series and up??
SquidlyBoy,

Works like a champ!!

I coded exactly as you suggested, but would like it to go back a little further. Unfortunately, even with Google Translate, I can't figure out what the values represent

Ideas?
Thanks

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #20
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

I haven't tried any other values, as the 4cm is fine for me, but from that other thread:

Quote:
We can adjust the seat restriction offset and moving distance.
You can release the restriction of condition for running

SM[6d] 3012 EAH_SHUTZFREIRAUM_HINTEN_SLV_PHYS
default: 00, 64
modifying: 00, 32(50mm) or 3C(60mm)

adjustment of seat moving distance

SM[6d] 3012 EAH_VERFAHRWEG_SLV_PHYS
default: 00, 3C
modifying: 00, 28(4cm)
So maybe try bumping up the value of EAH_VERFAHRWEG_SLV_PHYS to a larger value. I'm currently at 0x28 (4cm). Maybe you can make it go back to the default value 0x3c (6cm). Too much, though, and the feature will disable (if you encroach within the off-limits area). Let us all know if that works.

I would like the seat to move more forward when I start the engine, but haven't been able to figure that out. I tried setting the memory seat position thinking it works by going back to M#1 position when the engine starts, but it doesn't appear to.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #21
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
I was checking the SM module for several cars and have concluded...

Vehicles produced before November 2013 DO NOT have the option of enabling easy access Modus_FA_SLV regardless of I-Step level.

Vehicles produced after November 2013 HAVE the option of enabling easy access.
Tombit,
I have 2014 F30 with a build date of 7/13. Coded all three items in this thread and Easy Access works like a champ
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #22
bigsid05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 MG/SO M4

I had the exact same thing as the OP happen- could never get this to work, gave up, then used my spare key on accident and all of a sudden it worked. When I adjusted my seat to my liking, it stopped working. However, I only moved my set up/forward to get closer to the steering wheel (since I like to sit fairly close)- why would the seat travel limits stop it from working? I'll code the additional lines in that people have found to help, but I'm not sure I understand why those settings would fix my problem.
Appreciate 0