F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive Light's Video Demo
Studio RSR

02-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Adaptive Light's Video Demo

Saw this video on BMW.COM a while back but it never said it was for the new 3 series. Anyway it's now been posted by BMW UK. Nice little video of the adaptive xenon lights on the F30/F31.

Man I'm glad I've got the Vis Pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=-dvPZ3H1Vm4

Last edited by kitster; 03-07-2013 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

wow that is impressive and glad I added this option to my order today on my 320D M Sport Touring.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
GB72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport Melbourne red

Cool
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

It's not exactly the same as we have as it's for their new LED headlights rather than Xenons.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
It's not exactly the same as we have as it's for their new LED headlights rather than Xenons.
In the YouTube Summary:

"First introduced on the new BMW 7 Series (July 2012) as part of the optional Adaptive LED Headlights, this functionality is now also supported with Xenon headlights on all new BMW 3 Series Saloon and Touring models specified with a Visibility package."
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
venkata
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e MSport

Glad i went for these too, but can't help think that the driver of the car infront is gonna be miffed, as he will probably think you are flashing them...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

That is freaky how it creates a hole in the light pattern for other vehicles. Cool!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cow Pat View Post
That is freaky how it creates a hole in the light pattern for other vehicles. Cool!!!!
I tried the high beam assist a month ago and thought it was crap as I was expecting the high beam to switch on and off. After watching this I'll give it another go!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Saw this video on BMW.COM a while back but it never said it was for the new 3 series. Anyway it's now been posted by BMW UK. Nice little video of the adaptive xenon lights on the F30/F31.

Man I'm glad I've got the Vis Pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=-dvPZ3H1Vm4
The video looks fantastic. I guess the $64,000 question is what's it like in the real world.

Seems amazing that you could cruise up behind a car and watch your own lights split around it - really cool though if that's what happens!

A fair few posters on here seem to have it so I'd be interested to know what you think. If the video is 10 out of 10 what's your real world mark?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
A fair few posters on here seem to have it so I'd be interested to know what you think. If the video is 10 out of 10 what's your real world mark?
Discussed here in some detail. With user videos.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...ighbeam+assist

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I'd say the Adaptive Lights (in fact the whole Vis Pack) is worth every penny!
In fact the video even paints a slightly simplistic version of it in action. I've been on a dual carriageway in lane #2 following a car while overtaking cars in lane #1 with the adaptive lights switching on/off nearside verge illumination in the gaps between the vehicles I'm overtaking. At the same time it's coping with traffic in front of me and coming towards me on the opposite side of the carriageway - really amazing

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330d mSport

I found it a bit distracting when I used it first - particularly because the high beam light is on a lot of the time.

I have to say though on the motorway I did notice a few trucks flashing me (I Think) - maybe the concrete barriers are hiding their lights, so I tend to leave it off on them
      02-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #13
f1swk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedhouse View Post
I found it a bit distracting when I used it first - particularly because the high beam light is on a lot of the time.

I have to say though on the motorway I did notice a few trucks flashing me (I Think) - maybe the concrete barriers are hiding their lights, so I tend to leave it off on them
this is exactly what I found,i think the sensor is above the mirror and barriers can hide other cars lights
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #14
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I'd say the Adaptive Lights (in fact the whole Vis Pack) is worth every penny!
In fact the video even paints a slightly simplistic version of it in action. I've been on a dual carriageway in lane #2 following a car while overtaking cars in lane #1 with the adaptive lights switching on/off nearside verge illumination in the gaps between the vehicles I'm overtaking. At the same time it's coping with traffic in front of me and coming towards me on the opposite side of the carriageway - really amazing
Agreed. I find it staggering that it works so well. I only rarely have to override it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a link to something that explains exactly how it works? I.E. how the sensor picks up oncoming light from so many directions, and how the headlamps split the beams and move them around?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Agreed. I find it staggering that it works so well. I only rarely have to override it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a link to something that explains exactly how it works? I.E. how the sensor picks up oncoming light from so many directions, and how the headlamps split the beams and move them around?
I've got some info and data on my other PC, will post some links when I get a moment.

HighlandPete

EDIT: Just remembered the company name.

Gentex SmartBeam DFL (dynamic forward lighting) technology for BMW 3 Series

http://ir.gentex.com/manual-releases...-of-the-Light-

Last edited by HighlandPete; 02-06-2013 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #16
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

I also have it on my car and, as others have said, it's truly amazing. Compared to the xenons in non-adaptive mode (already impressive), you find there is always a lot of light just where you need it.

What you see happening on dual carriageways and motorways at night is a bit disconcerting at first, as you'll see your high-beam indicator on and road signs light up like beacons, but you soon start to notice the subtlety of what's going on.

The system puts light in more places at once than you'd think possible (e.g. road sign on hard shoulder, comprehensively on the road in front of and to the side of you, and along edge of central reservation), given there are just two steered light units and. More importantly, it does a superb job 99% of the time of working out exactly where that light needs to be to give you maximum visibility and security. It has an uncanny back of finding the kerb or verge and lights it up from near field to a couple of hundred metres ahead.

I've not been flashed yet or felt the need to override and dip from main beam. The only small complaint is that the system is occasionally a little slow to flip from low beam to high when coming out of a street-lit village, but this is down to no more than a second or so.

This is a must-have option for me now. All the more valuable when the years catch up with you and your night vision looses a bit of its edge :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
joe_hall
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xDrive M Sport

This still blows my mind - can't wait to see it for real behind the wheel of the F30.

I had the Vis pack on the E90 and while it was good, it had it's faults, it just wasn't as refined
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm yet to experience the high beam assist in all it's glory. I live in London where there is way too much traffic so the beams never seem to do anything, so I've just given up trying. Off to Cambridge on the weekend so will give it a blast then.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #19
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjohal View Post
This still blows my mind - can't wait to see it for real behind the wheel of the F30.

I had the Vis pack on the E90 and while it was good, it had it's faults, it just wasn't as refined
Yes I've got it on my e90. It's good but not great, well not compared to the f30. I used it last weekend and it was taking a good second or 2 to turn the main beam off for oncoming traffic which i think is too long
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
dan172
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: F31 320d M Sp. xDrive

Thank you for posting this.
I have had it explained to me by the Salesman and he made it sound better than it could be if that makes sense? The funny thing is I specked the Xenon lights and the washers individually, but didn't see the point or actually get the spiel of the description for the adaptive.
I'm glad for the little extra I took the Vis Pack.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #21
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

The visiblity pack was the first option i ticked other than the engine & model
Once i pick up the car, most likely early doors, will be taking it out at night when the traffic isn't so busy to try the lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I've got some info and data on my other PC, will post some links when I get a moment.

HighlandPete

EDIT: Just remembered the company name.

Gentex SmartBeam DFL (dynamic forward lighting) technology for BMW 3 Series

http://ir.gentex.com/manual-releases...-of-the-Light-

nice.excited now.