F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > MPSS and cold weather
GetBMWParts

11-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

MPSS and cold weather

I did some reading and I found out that they arent ment to be used when its below 45. I live in st louis, most days it will get to about 40 in the winter but we do get snow and ice. If its just cold out say 20+ will I be safe driving my BMW? I know I will need to go slow. When there is ice or snow I will take my wifes SUV.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

i would say no if that's cold out...i lived in st louis central west end for 4 years and weather is unpredictable with rapid changes. i got caught wearing shorts in the snow once when i remember it went from 70 degrees to snowing in st louis in the same afternoon. i would get all seasons or winters for the cold months.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 03:23 AM   #3
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
I did some reading and I found out that they arent ment to be used when its below 45. I live in st louis, most days it will get to about 40 in the winter but we do get snow and ice. If its just cold out say 20+ will I be safe driving my BMW? I know I will need to go slow. When there is ice or snow I will take my wifes SUV.
Another poster in another thread was recommending MPSS but stated begin to lose grip at 60 degrees. No one disagreed with that number - and considering that people will usually disagree even when they are wrong, seems that was the consensus.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1326699

I am not in a position to make that claim and just repeating what was said in other thread as I think the MPSS are really overrated.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 03:52 AM   #4
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Just to share, Evo magazine (france edition at least) had a performance tyre ranking last month, Continental ContiSportContact 6 came first overall (dry track, wet track, road use, braking), MPSS came 6th overall (out of 9 tyres tested), except 1st for dry track but only 8th (!) for wet track.

2nd: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
And they're both seemingly cheaper.

(Keep in mind we don't have Continental DWS in EU)

Next set for me is either goodyear or conti, and probably runflat again.

Don't get me wrong, I like my MPSS, but I used to love them much more when I was in Hong Kong - the weather was completely different. Here they're not gripping that well with cold weather.
Kabrich354.00
      11-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Conti 6 are superior unless one wants to track car. Then one should have a different set for track anyway. MPSS Fanboys just refuse to accept the reviews.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 11:07 PM   #6
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich
Conti 6 are superior unless one wants to track car. Then one should have a different set for track anyway. MPSS Fanboys just refuse to accept the reviews.
mpss are stock on my 435
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #7
Alarbus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 & '19 F36

Get a second set of wheels and tires for winter. PSS turn into hockey pucks are are straight up awful in the cold - I used them for Vermont and Pennsylvania summers (and they were great for that), but yeah, below 50* they're pretty awkward. In Vermont, I used actual winter tires - Blizzaks. In PA, I've just gone to all seasons as we don't get enough volume of snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

All summer tires become dangerous in the cold, they get hard and lose grip even in the dry. I've been running MPSSs for 2 or 3 years, I haven't noticed losing grip in the 50s and even mid 40s they still feel pretty sticky to me. But low 40s and below I become very cautious. I always run winter tires, but I'm in NH. I don't know the St. Louis weather that well. Given what you describe I'd be tempted to see if they work, but the smart decision would undoubtedly be to get a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

the reason for snows or all seasons is they are a softer compound than your pss and can still provide grip in colder weather. id suggest getting the dws if you dont really experience snow but want a decent tire.
      11-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #10
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

a winter tire setup is probably cheaper than repairing a wrecked car....and you don't have to drive around so gingerly everytime it is below 50 degrees
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #11
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

There is no substitute for proper winter tires at at temperatures below 40F especially if snow is added to the picture. Could not agree more about how inexpensive winter tires are (as an insurance policy) compared to a wrecked vehicle - or worse personal injury.

When I lived on the East Coast, my winter tires (with dedicated OEM wheels) were mounted one week before Thanksgiving holiday. I still have 19" 401 Style winter wheel / tire set with Pirelli Sottozero II tires in the garage. Used one season.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 10:52 PM   #12
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Just to share, Evo magazine (france edition at least) had a performance tyre ranking last month, Continental ContiSportContact 6 came first overall (dry track, wet track, road use, braking), MPSS came 6th overall (out of 9 tyres tested), except 1st for dry track but only 8th (!) for wet track.

2nd: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3
And they're both seemingly cheaper.

(Keep in mind we don't have Continental DWS in EU)

Next set for me is either goodyear or conti, and probably runflat again.

Don't get me wrong, I like my MPSS, but I used to love them much more when I was in Hong Kong - the weather was completely different. Here they're not gripping that well with cold weather.
Yes, EVO

And:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
They come with the Conti's because for whatever reason Michelin couldn't keep up with demand. Anyone who knows both the Conti's and Michelin's agree the Conti's are inferior.

Considering almost every dam moderate performance car comes from the factory with MPSS's, I don't think Michelin is concerned. I mean Vette's, Caddy's, Merc's, Porsche's, Lexus, all of them have Supersports.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...-track-tested/

What came out of these drives is the fact that the Continental's new SportContact 6 is the best road-legal non-track-day spec tire I have tested by a noticeable margin, and its consistency and user-friendly handling enabled me to extract the optimum performance from each car I drove that day. So while they may not be able to reinvent the wheel, Continental has certainly proven it knows how to make one of the best ultra high performance road tires money can buy.

And Auto Bild (German So a link to the English Summary)

http://www.minimumtread.com/tire-blo...tire-benchmark

Recently the reputable European magazine Auto Bild pitted the new Continental SportContact 6 against the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in a direct comparison test, and the results were pretty astounding.

The SportContact 6 proved superior to the Pilot Super Sport in both dry and wet conditions. The SportContact 6 was the quicker of the two tires on track, and the evaluators preferred the Continental's steering feedback and handling balance as well.

While this is only one comparison test, the result represents a departure from nearly all performance tire comparison test of the past few years. The Pilot Super Sport has bested every other street performance tire (especially) in terms of track performance, and so the fact that the SportContact 6 was able to beat the Michelin at its own game, so to speak, is noteworthy indeed.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

2016 AutoBild UHP Summer Tyre Test

The test we've all been waiting for is here, and it's round one to Continental.

The new Continental Sport Contact 6 was tested against the reigning performance tyre king, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, and the result was surprising.

The previous Continental has always had the edge on the Michelin in the wet, but new the new Continental tyre also has the better dry grip and steering feel, at least according to this test.

The one area they didn't test was wear, which is where Michelin usually claws back some marks, but for now the new Sport Contact 6 looks to be every bit the tyre Continental have promised us!

EVO

AUTO BILD

There is a new king

Last edited by Kabrich; 11-28-2016 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0