F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Power window acting up
Studio RSR

10-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
odus
Call me daddy
Rep
Drives: dont worry

Power window acting up

So my passenger rear window was acting up wouldn't go up or down but an inch so i played with it a bit trying to reset it and that seems to help it. It goes up and down like it should but sometimes doesn't want to move at all have to wait a minute for it to work. Anyone else have a similar problem ever?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
odus
Call me daddy
Rep

Went to dealer multiple errors on the motor so there ordering me a new one seems fast for a 15 to be messing up.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
murphius1118
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
I'm currently experiencing the same issue but with my drivers side window. I retrained the auto up/down function on the switch several times but the issue keeps coming back....goes up in short increments or not going up at all. I emailed a tech advisor through the BMW CCA website and he mentioned there's a TSB for this...typically a failed motor as you noted. Apparently not a rare occurrence for the F30s.

I just ordered a brand new OEM replacement motor on ebay for $88 which is a steal. Dealership wants $170....
'13 328i xDrive│Jet Black│BMS JB Stage 1│MPE│18" 400M & Conti DWS 06│DelVal BMW CCA #533245
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
CRJdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 & F82

If you hook the car up to ISTA good chance you will see a “System not normalize” the procedure is to cycle it so the car knows which way is going up and down. Happens with the seats easy entry sometimes too. Low battery usually is the cause.

BMW policy and approach is to replace parts rather then root cause. It’s effective for them. Not for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
murphius1118
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJdriver View Post
If you hook the car up to ISTA good chance you will see a “System not normalize” the procedure is to cycle it so the car knows which way is going up and down. Happens with the seats easy entry sometimes too. Low battery usually is the cause.

BMW policy and approach is to replace parts rather then root cause. It’s effective for them. Not for you.
Thanks for the info. I ended up paging through my Bentley Service Manual and found the official BMW window Initialization procedure. There are many postings in the forum with regard to the proper initialization procedure...unfortunately, most of them are inaccurate...hold window switch for 3 seconds, 10 seconds, etc?? I successfully "de-initialized" the drivers side front window then initialized per the BMW procedure and the window has been operating normally (fingers crossed). Looks like I'll have a spare window motor in the event something does go wrong.

As to the cause of the issue?? I did have some debris trapped between my window glass and the weatherstripping which may have tripped the "anti-trap" safety feature followed by me attempting to "re-initialize" the window unsuccessfully several times until I discovered the proper procedure.

I can post the proper window initialization procedure when I get some time.
'13 328i xDrive│Jet Black│BMS JB Stage 1│MPE│18" 400M & Conti DWS 06│DelVal BMW CCA #533245
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
odus
Call me daddy
Rep

Yea replacing mine fixed it just fine and im not complaining about a free new window motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #7
bmwgvsc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphius1118 View Post
Thanks for the info. I ended up paging through my Bentley Service Manual and found the official BMW window Initialization procedure. There are many postings in the forum with regard to the proper initialization procedure...unfortunately, most of them are inaccurate...hold window switch for 3 seconds, 10 seconds, etc?? I successfully "de-initialized" the drivers side front window then initialized per the BMW procedure and the window has been operating normally (fingers crossed). Looks like I'll have a spare window motor in the event something does go wrong.

As to the cause of the issue?? I did have some debris trapped between my window glass and the weatherstripping which may have tripped the "anti-trap" safety feature followed by me attempting to "re-initialize" the window unsuccessfully several times until I discovered the proper procedure.

I can post the proper window initialization procedure when I get some time.

By chance would you be able to post that procedure. I’m having the same thing and every procedure I tried isn’t working still only moving in inch increments..

Thank you!
Appreciate 0