F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Finding/fixing oil leak
Extreme Powerhouse

12-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
gerrg
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Finding/fixing oil leak

I'm pretty sure I'm in the right forums... I have a 2012 BMW 335i...

Anyways, I'm trying to find the oil leak in my car. it's been leaking for a month or two now but things have been super busy and I haven't had a chance to work on it yet. I've finaly got some time so I put the car up on some ramps, opened the hood and looked around a bit. Please note that I'm lose 1 quart of oil every 2-3 weeks or so.

I noticed a few things, some oil is pooling around the oil filter, as well as a couple places behind and under neith the oil filter (see images with oil pooling circled). I've also noticed some oil residue around the genearl area of the spark plugs (again see images). looking under the engine cover, i could see what looked like oil splater on the underside around where the oil filter is. I remove the under body (which was completly saturated with oil) and saw that it had a single spot where oil was still pooled. Looking underneith the car, pretty much everything had oil on it.

So... any ideas where this might be coming from? I've already ordered a valve cover gasket, oil cooler gasket, and oil filter gasket to replace since that's what i think the problem is, but thought it would be good to get some feed back from people here.

Please let me know if i can clarify anything. Thanks!!

*Note: I tried posting the images to the forum, but it didn't work... so here are the link.s

https://ibb.co/k3gdAG
https://ibb.co/gJ8QqG
https://ibb.co/nzBOcw
https://ibb.co/eeBOcw
https://ibb.co/nQe9Hw
https://ibb.co/cYuWVG
https://ibb.co/fGULPb
https://ibb.co/b6i3cw
https://ibb.co/kmrOcw

Last edited by gerrg; 12-12-2017 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Images not posting
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
miles on the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
gerrg
Rep

I knew i forgot something...

It's got 88k on it right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M4 ZCP

Ok so if you see oil around spark plug area your valve cover is leaking. If you see oil around oil filter your oil filter housing gasket is leaking. However unless you're valve cover is cracked I don't see how you would be losing that much oil from just those two gaskets so there is probably one or two more somewhere
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I just had the oil pan gasket on my 2014 335i replaced, so that's another possibility.

These N55 engines sure do seem more prone to leaking than the engine in my old E46.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Oil around the filter is definitely the oil filter housing gasket which is a common problem (is the oil filter cap screwed down sufficiently?) Remember, fluid will travel downward, so if you find a leak on top, you'll also find it down below as it drips.
It's possible this is the cause for oil near the plugs, but that could be a leaky valve cover gasket.
First, see if the oil filter cap needs tightening down. There should be a colored marker on the side of the cap that lines up with a marker on the housing body. If there's no mark, there's a torque spec of 20-ish ft/lbs. That's very light, so a good hand tightening with a wrench is OK if you don't have a torque wrench. If it's tight, then you'll likely need to replace the oil filter housing. This isn't hard if you're so inclined. Clean up all the oil on various parts (break parts cleaner is excellent for this) whether you do the repair or have the shop do it and see if you still have a problem.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
X2 Monstah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 XDrive 28i M Sport

I'd say oil filter housing gasket. Just replaced it on my wife's 128i at 40,000 miles. But a quart every 2-3 weeks seems like quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Trace the leak with dye.
Appreciate 1
Rebound152.50
      12-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'd say you nicked the o-ring on the filter housing (first picture). That is under pressure when the engine is running. Oil will drain downwards, fan/wind will then blow it backwards.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

You'll be surprised how a tiny leak can have your whole engine drenched in oil. I traced the oil stains all the way up to the highest point in the engine. This led me to the oil filter housing. There are 2 gaskets I had to replaced. When I removed them, they were very brittle. I also had to replace the serpentine belt as oil was all over it. Get if fixed fast because you'll have hours of meticulously cleaning the engine and underbelly of oil -- not fun.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
gerrg
Rep

Thanks for all the replies everyone! it sounds like i'm at least on the right track with changing out the valve cover and oil filter gaskets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Oil around the filter is definitely the oil filter housing gasket which is a common problem (is the oil filter cap screwed down sufficiently?) Remember, fluid will travel downward, so if you find a leak on top, you'll also find it down below as it drips.
It's possible this is the cause for oil near the plugs, but that could be a leaky valve cover gasket.
First, see if the oil filter cap needs tightening down. There should be a colored marker on the side of the cap that lines up with a marker on the housing body. If there's no mark, there's a torque spec of 20-ish ft/lbs. That's very light, so a good hand tightening with a wrench is OK if you don't have a torque wrench. If it's tight, then you'll likely need to replace the oil filter housing. This isn't hard if you're so inclined. Clean up all the oil on various parts (break parts cleaner is excellent for this) whether you do the repair or have the shop do it and see if you still have a problem.
Thanks for suggesting this! I'll try to look for the alignment mark when I get home and try to tighten it if anything else. I'll just have to replace the oil filter gasket, right? not the whole housing I would assume. And I was planning on trying to do a good engine clean after all the gaskets are replaced to make things look nice, to get rid of the burning oil smell faster, and to hopefully be able to see if there are any other problems later.

As to cleaning the oil off, is there anyway to clean the undercover of the car? it's like a cloth/cardboard type material it feels like, so I wasn't sure if cleaning this would be practical or not, or if i'd just end up ruining it by all the cleaning.

Thanks again! I'll keep you all posted on how the gasket replacing goes!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
gerrg
Rep

Hey everyone! I replaced the valve Gasket, oil filter housing gasket, and oil coolant gasket and that solved most of the leak. Then i noticed the oil was coming from around the oil filter cap (much more noticeable that it used to). Anyways, I replaced the oil filter and the o-rings and everythings been looking good so far.

I haven't changed an oil filter on a BMW before now (i had a '88 mercury before this so different type of filter all together). Are the o-rings normallly really hard after they've been used? I would have thought they still would have been a little soft, but but the small and large 0-rings were very stiff when i removed the old ones. Figured I'd see if that was normal.

Thanks for all the help with this!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrg View Post
Hey everyone! I replaced the valve Gasket, oil filter housing gasket, and oil coolant gasket and that solved most of the leak. Then i noticed the oil was coming from around the oil filter cap (much more noticeable that it used to). Anyways, I replaced the oil filter and the o-rings and everythings been looking good so far.

I haven't changed an oil filter on a BMW before now (i had a '88 mercury before this so different type of filter all together). Are the o-rings normallly really hard after they've been used? I would have thought they still would have been a little soft, but but the small and large 0-rings were very stiff when i removed the old ones. Figured I'd see if that was normal.

Thanks for all the help with this!
How many miles since last oil/oil filter change? My experience is with a normal oil change cycle of 7500-10,000 miles, the O-rings are still very flexible. Maybe only a very slight hardening. If they are truly very stiff, then that may indicated excessive heat.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the small and large 0-rings were very stiff when i
Not normal. When you put it all together be sure to coat the o-rings with some oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #15
gerrg
Rep

it's been about 6k miles since my last oil change. I'm just wondering if they didn't actually change the o-rings when they changed the filter. I'll do my own oil change this next time and see how things are holding up. Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #16
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Like Billfitz said: when you do the oil/oil filter change lightly oil the O-ring around the cover housing with clean oil. Just enough the lubricate the O-ring. Prevents the chance of the O-ring tearing or getting nicked and makes screwing the cover down much easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm just wondering if they didn't actually change the o-rings when they changed the filter.
New o-rings come in the box with the filter, so there's no excuse for not putting them in. Some also include a washer for the crank case drain plug, in case you're changing your oil along with the filter.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:59 AM   #18
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

how much should this service cost at an indy shop? around 500?
      03-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #19
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i XDrive 6mt / e83 X3

_bdiddyb_
Think my leak is coming from the front gasket or damaged threads on the oil cap??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #20
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Based on the picture I've attached do you think this leak is coming from the front housing gasket or a damaged oil cap?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #21
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2 Monstah View Post
I'd say oil filter housing gasket. Just replaced it on my wife's 128i at 40,000 miles. But a quart every 2-3 weeks seems like quite a bit.
Any insight on where my leak is coming from?? Im thinking it's from the front oil filter gasket but it looks like it could be coming from the oil filter cap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #22
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Use the UV dye in the link I posted and you won't need to rely on others looking at photos to find the leak.
Appreciate 1
Rebound152.50