F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Transferring private plate to new car
GetBMWParts

12-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #45
edz_f06
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F06 640d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
It's £80 for the dealer (or yourself) to do the transfer, or £105 for a year's retention (inc. transfer within that year), so I chose the latter as I didn't trust my dealer unfortunately, though that would have been the easier option
Same for me to, easier to keep my hands on it
      12-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #46
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Haha no worries; my experience of BMW salespeople hasn't been great to be honest on any of my cars: always need chasing, no sense of urgency or appreciation, rarely forthcoming with updates, making mistakes on the spec, don't really know much about the options, or the actual production process (yesterday I was told by the Business Manager that I 'couldn't have the VIN yet as they don't get it until the car lands in the UK‘, despite his colleague giving me said VIN a few hours before (which we all know is assigned before actual production starts, and is readily available from BMW AG))! I also had a car that they 'forgot to order' for 3 weeks a couple of years ago, delaying the delivery by a month. Few things like that that haven't given me much confidence in them, so if at all possible I prefer to do things myself; keeps me occupied during the painful wait, at the very least, anyway Obviously all dealers won't be like that, and some will be great - all down to the specific salesperson really - but that's been my experience with 3 different dealers I've bought cars from near me before, though the 4th I'll admit was very good.
Sales people do vary, this latest guy did not post off my old car transfer details ( that I signed and enveloped ) for at least a month as the DVLA were asking why I was not taxing it, my car arrived at least a month late, I wonder just when it was ordered as my order went in in MAY 2012
Still cars here now.
      12-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #47
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
... my experience of ALL salespeople hasn't been great
Just thought I'd fix that for you
      12-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #48
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Just thought I'd fix that for you
Lol, yes indeed; if I could buy the car direct from BMW I would, seems like an unnecessary middle-man for us who know so much (more than them) about the cars and the order/production process. More people involved = more possibility for error, as I found out the hard way when they cocked up my spec (though thankfully just in time, but only by luck)

Still, it's the car that matters, and once I pick it up I doubt I'll see them again (in sales) until the next one
      12-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #49
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

I've only ever once had an edifying experience with a car dealer and that was Sytner BMW in Nottingham. I just wish they could have got anywhere near my lease companies pricing. I would gladly have paid a 10-20 pound premium monthly for the satisfaction of giving them the sale and being able to have a relationship with them. I will go straight back there when my lease is coming to an end and I pray they can do something for me
      12-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #50
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just got my retention doc through this morning, new V5C arrived on Monday, very quick really
      12-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #51
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Lol, yes indeed; if I could buy the car direct from BMW I would, seems like an unnecessary middle-man for us who know so much (more than them) about the cars and the order/production process. More people involved = more possibility for error, as I found out the hard way when they cocked up my spec (though thankfully just in time, but only by luck)

Still, it's the car that matters, and once I pick it up I doubt I'll see them again (in sales) until the next one
Just who would you recommend to deal with on new car purchase Mark please?.
      12-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #52
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No choice mate except the dealers is there! Wish we could buy direct, as a lot of us get our own updates from BMW etc. and don't really need the guy in the middle to potentially mess things up; though if it was a really good dealer that proactively kept you informed and was really in control and bothered, I'm sure I would feel differently
      12-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #53
edz_f06
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F06 640d MSport

Quote:
Just got my retention doc through this morning, new V5C arrived on Monday, very quick really
Result!