F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Spec Choices F36 440i
Extreme Powerhouse

07-19-2016, 06:21 AM   #1
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Spec Choices F36 440i

With apologies for another 'check my spec' post, but opinions are always good to have!

Thanks to the inspirational posts on the 440i, I've changed my sights from leasing a 430D Gran Coupe, to PCPing a 440i GC. It's possible that this post will cost me some more money....

Anything critical that I have forgotten in speccing my potential purchase? I'm likely to keep the car for 5 or more years, so keen to get it right...

Definitely choosing:
Sports Auto - (now standard, although was optional on the printed price list I have)
Extended Storage
Sliding Armrest
Harmon Kardon
Reversing Assist Camera
Folding Mirrors

Almost certainly choosing:
Adaptive M-Sport suspension

Mulling over:
HUD
Sunroof
Lumbar Support

Exterior:
Carbon Black

Interior:
Oyster (narrow choice over ivory)

NB. Possibly seems unusual not speccing the M-Sport plus package. For me, the big wheels don't appeal that much, brakes won't make that much difference in normal driving?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 06:45 AM   #2
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

OK I have a F36. I would definitely have HUD and for me the sunroof from your 'mulling over' list. I don't have Lumbar nor Adaptive suspension and I don't miss them. However, for the cost would probably add lumbar just in case.

Auto cruise is winning me over, if you travel in heavy traffic a lot. If not I wouldn't bother. My F36 is also in Carbon Black and I love it. Treat it as any other black car though, it will show up the crap very easily.

I did look at the Oyster interior, I wanted Red but didn't like the lower dash being in red as well. I chose the conservative black and still like my choice.

I would try and persuade yourself to go with M Sport Plus - its a win/win for resale value and the kit you get with it.
      07-19-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Good choice in car OP

My two penneth;

Good choices in your "Definitely Having" list.

I would reconsider the M SPORT Plus pack.

Brakes - possibly not much better in day to day driving but a world of difference aesthetically. Nothing worse than rusty callipers showing through a wheel.
May affect resale at a later date?? I certainly wouldn't buy a BMW without the big blue brakes.

Adaptive suspension - a great option. Gives you the best of both worlds.

Lumbar support - I've just had this on my 440i and must say the difference in support to the non lumbar is significant. If you have any back issues or do longer journeys - get it specced.

HUD - first time I have specced it and find it very useful. Not essential but I'm sure once you had it - you would miss it.

Sunroof - ETTO but not for me.

Exterior colour/leather colour - ETTO - your choice entirely.

Have you considered Comfort access? Another one of them that I would not want to go without after having it on my last 3 BMW's

Whatever you go for - you will have a great motor - congrats!

Rukka

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

I have an F36, I chose Ivory over oyster. In Oyster, all the speakers and window switch gear etc is beige or whatever oyster is. With Ivory it's black. I chose brushed aluminum with gloss black inserts and it looks the biZ.

Get the HUD (with SLD), Sunroof lightens the interior more and I perhaps should have got lumbar support but I solved the issue using the inflatable cushion mod which is far cheaper.

If you think M-Sport brakes wont make much difference in the real world (and I agree) why spec adaptive suspension?

Heated steering wheel, comfort access, high beam assist and surround view will complete the car.
(and don't forget the service pack)
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
Good choice in car OP

My two penneth;

Good choices in your "Definitely Having" list.

I would reconsider the M SPORT Plus pack.

Brakes - possibly not much better in day to day driving but a world of difference aesthetically. Nothing worse than rusty callipers showing through a wheel.
May affect resale at a later date?? I certainly wouldn't buy a BMW without the big blue brakes.

Adaptive suspension - a great option. Gives you the best of both worlds.

Lumbar support - I've just had this on my 440i and must say the difference in support to the non lumbar is significant. If you have any back issues or do longer journeys - get it specced.

HUD - first time I have specced it and find it very useful. Not essential but I'm sure once you had it - you would miss it.

Sunroof - ETTO but not for me.

Exterior colour/leather colour - ETTO - your choice entirely.

Have you considered Comfort access? Another one of them that I would not want to go without after having it on my last 3 BMW's

Whatever you go for - you will have a great motor - congrats!

Rukka

Thanks Rukka, your "what a f...g car" post was one that got my interest WAY up in the 440i.

I'll give the MS+ pack some more thought, based on yours and other comments. I did find that the 420d I test drove last week tramlined a bit on the 19s. I take it yours has adaptive and MS+? Interested to know how it compares with non-MSport suspension at the comfort end of things.

Thanks for noting your experience of the lumbar too.

Comfort Access - would like, but it's one of those where I think the price is a bit of a p***take, so I will probably live with pressing the remote unlock button and then being annoyed at having to find somewhere to stow the key!

Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
The spec is unimportant.

You'll have a glorious inline six cylinder petrol engine up front. Your life will be enhanced
I do agree with that sentiment, the options are just the cherries on the icing on the cake...

Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
I have an F36, I chose Ivory over oyster. In Oyster, all the speakers and window switch gear etc is beige or whatever oyster is. With Ivory it's black. I chose brushed aluminum with gloss black inserts and it looks the biZ.
That's exactly the inserts that I've chosen too. Aluminium/pearl was considered, but I think the gloss black probably works better.

Quote:
If you think M-Sport brakes wont make much difference in the real world (and I agree) why spec adaptive suspension?
I'm looking at adaptive as a way of getting more comfort than passive suspension, for travelling two-up, but having the sport settings available when in enthusiast mode.

Quote:
Heated steering wheel, comfort access, high beam assist and surround view will complete the car.
Yes, forgot to mention the service pack, I will be taking that up. £525 for 5 years seems pretty reasonable. The heated wheel, high beam assist and surround view, i don't think i would use enough. Although I guess heated wheels are one of those 'once you have had it' features...

BTW, does the F36 have an armrest in the back with the standard 60/40 split seats?

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolMotorSpeedway View Post
Thanks Rukka, your "what a f...g car" post was one that got my interest WAY up in the 440i.

I'll give the MS+ pack some more thought, based on yours and other comments. I did find that the 420d I test drove last week tramlined a bit on the 19s. I take it yours has adaptive and MS+? Interested to know how it compares with non-MSport suspension at the comfort end of things.

Thanks for noting your experience of the lumbar too.

Comfort Access - would like, but it's one of those where I think the price is a bit of a p***take, so I will probably live with pressing the remote unlock button and then being annoyed at having to find somewhere to stow the key!

My spec is here if you've not read it

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=1

I ticked most boxes

Re adaptive suspension - I've not driven a non adaptive but from what I've read, it seems that the non-adaptive sits somewhere between Comfort and Sport settings on an adaptive equipped car and the Comfort is more comfortable with adaptive. If that makes sense.......

I've never had issues with tram lining either.

One thing I forgot to mention was VSS - Variable Sport Steering. That really does make a difference to how the steering feels on the 4 - much more feel (and its only a £250 option )

I know what you mean about the Comfort Access - I just keep my key in my pocket though - no need to take it out at all but agree the cost is a bit steep for the privilege.

Rukka

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

HUD, definitely!

And Active Cruise Control, my favourite option by far!
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
My spec is here if you've not read it

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=1

I ticked most boxes

Re adaptive suspension - I've not driven a non adaptive but from what I've read, it seems that the non-adaptive sits somewhere between Comfort and Sport settings on an adaptive equipped car and the Comfort is more comfortable with adaptive. If that makes sense.......

I've never had issues with tram lining either.

One thing I forgot to mention was VSS - Variable Sport Steering. That really does make a difference to how the steering feels on the 4 - much more feel (and its only a £250 option )

I know what you mean about the Comfort Access - I just keep my key in my pocket though - no need to take it out at all but agree the cost is a bit steep for the privilege.

Rukka

Thanks Rukka. It took me 24 hours to read through your spec ;-) That's pretty impressive.

Cheers for the info on the adaptive, that sounds like what I am looking for - the ability to have a relatively comfy [urban] cruiser that converts into hooligan mode when needed!

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #11
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Just hope you don't get any back problems in the future. The lumber really makes the seat more comfy for the lower back support.

I would deffo get the Msport plus package , you don't like the wheels then just sell it.

HUD is good to have but not a must have for me although i like it.

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #12
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanYoro35i View Post
Just hope you don't get any back problems in the future. The lumber really makes the seat more comfy for the lower back support.

I would deffo get the Msport plus package , you don't like the wheels then just sell it.

HUD is good to have but not a must have for me although i like it.
Yeah, pretty sold on lumbar now, after all the positive comments.

MSport plus....considering it, some angles I hadn't considered (e.g. rusty calipers!)

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:

BTW, does the F36 have an armrest in the back with the standard 60/40 split seats?
Yes - with two cup holders in the arm rest.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #14
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Yes - with two cup holders in the arm rest.
Thanks Nobby. I thought it must do, but you never know for sure with the boys from Munich!

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #15
Dyl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4GC

Quote:

Yes it does!

+1 for Sunroof, as you may have seen in the other thread! I love how much light floods into the cabin.

Last edited by Dyl; 07-20-2016 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #16
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Yeah, pretty sold on lumbar now, after all the positive comments.

MSport plus....considering it, some angles I hadn't considered (e.g. rusty calipers!)
Yes and that, and also M sport package should include harmon Kardon, sun protection glass. It really does depend on our budget.

For me on a normal 4 then it will be
M-sport Plus
smoker package
lumber
reversing camera
Comfort access
and maybe active security pack for the blind spot assist. ( got it on the juke and i like it alot)

Each to their own as we have different driving requirements.

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #17
Rob 1267
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MSport+, SAuto, AdSus

I agree with Rukka regarding Adaptive Suspension being more comfy in comfort than without it but would add that it's also more sporty in sport so just a no brainer option IMO.

The ZF Sport Auto is great, Pro Nav worth the extra and Parking Cameras very useful.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #18
Ice Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

As you are pcp'ing it you maybe suprised that M Sport plus doesn't add much more to your monthly payments, I have adaptive and comfort access on mine and would spec them again.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #19
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Wow sport auto now standard, no manual? I'm a dinosaur now in automotive terms.
      07-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #20
Bricktrix
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback

Quote:
I did find that the 420d I test drove last week tramlined a bit on the 19s.
Never had an issue with that in standard spec, it may have been the tyres and pressures that you experienced?

After owning my 4GC for over a year now, the things I would look to spec without doubt next time around would be HUD (just for the sat nav directions in line of vision), road speed warning.

I wouldnt bother with the adaptive suspension, I'd spend the money on ACS springs and a new set of MPSS. All depends what your driving preferences are.
I also have a bad back, and would probably spec the lumbar support next time around.

If your doing Msport, then I'd go Msport plus.
Previous BMW's owned in last 30 years: E30 C2 2.3 Alpina, E30 325i (multiples), E30 M3, E36 M3 x2, last one owned for 9 years. 11 years out, got an F36 4GC then Merc AMG C43 Coupe. Now Audi RS5 Sportback.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #21
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Wow sport auto now standard, no manual? I'm a dinosaur now in automotive terms.
Yes, on the 440i GC it is auto-only now. According to the BMW Genius i spoke to, this change only occurred this month. (List price remains unchanged)

Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 03:46 PM   #22
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark

Get the HUD (with SLD), Sunroof lightens the interior more and I perhaps should have got lumbar support but I solved the issue using the inflatable cushion mod which is far cheaper.

I would get the msport+ pack, it's such good value when pcp'ing due to the added residual. and the big blue brakes just look right, especially on a 40i.

RE: oyster interior - the switch gear in my 3 is all black, as are the speakers and I have oyster, the seat belts are cream, as it's the lower dash, that's it. However I think I'd I had a choice I would have gone ivory, either way I think oyster/ ivory really lifts the interior, looks more special and luxurious compared to black. cr is a lot nicer in real life than any photo shows, it's a lovely deep red.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 1