F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Modded 328i,new to forums
GetBMWParts

10-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
Extirpate
Rep
Drives: 328i 2012

Modded 328i,new to forums

Hey guys so I've been reading the forums for about a month now and finally decided to create an account to get some opinions on what mods I should or shouldn't do to my car. Pics of new car attached. Might go scour through old hard drives for my '97 pre accident

Background
(Old Car) I got the car a few months back after I got hit in my old 1999 328i, was at a stop light and the guy behind me was texting and driving and rear-ended me. Before I could come to my senses (first accident i had ever been in) he decided to book it and he had a stolen license plate, I snapped pics of it but the cops decided it wasnt worth their time to track down. So I sold the car to a friend for less than a grand. Damage wasnt terrible but to fix it worth the money to me so instead I put a down payment on my new car.

(New Car) While I was car shopping I actually was looking for a used 07-09 328i as a 2012 was a bit out of my price range, however; I ran into the I really want this coral red interior after I drove an 09 328i with the said interior. I was almost convinced I was going to buy that one, but the guys wouldnt give me the carfax after the test drive and were "Guranteeing" me that it was clean. So I did what any sensible person would do and bought carfax and double checked the car and to no suprise it was in 2 different accidents. So after falling in love with this interior and no luck finding a car i had all but given up, until one day I was talking to my parents (who had recently moved) and was explaining my frustration about not being able to find that perfect car. My stepdad became friends with one of the other parents of my highschool football team and mentioned that this guy was actually looking to get rid of his 2012 328i because he couldnt bare to keep it anymore. It had been sitting in his garage for a year. Turns out his older son (not the one that was on the football team with me) was an active service member and had passed away. He was very upset at the mention of his son and I didnt want to press him for details on the death or anything like that. So my new car was his older son's, and he sold it to me the same day his wife brought another child home from the hospital.

I say all this to make these two points-
The car is very sentimental to me, so trading it in for another car is not an option
I got a really good deal on it as I normally couldn't afford a 2012 at market value

Other than the obvious cosmetic stuff im not sure whats been done to the car

Recently I added
JB4
Injen intake
F80 retrofit paddle shifters (Should be installing this weekend if i find the time)
M Stripe ( havent decided where I want it yet )

I want to
Change to angel eyes LED or Xenon headlights
Update front bumper
Change the interior to coral red ( reupholster quote around $1800)
Upgrade the suspension with springs or coilovers
Upgrade with Dinan big turbo, intercooler, exhaust set

In order for my car not to explode i have to
Get new rod bolts
add a baffle

According to http://www.***********.com/showthrea...e-have-learned

Comment, questions , concerns?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
zamboni1129.00
      10-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extirpate View Post

I want to
Change to angel eyes LED or Xenon headlights
Update front bumper
Change the interior to coral red ( reupholster quote around $1800)
Upgrade the suspension with springs or coilovers
Upgrade with Dinan big turbo, intercooler, exhaust set

In order for my car not to explode i have to
Get new rod bolts
add a baffle

.... Comment, questions , concerns?
Congrats on the F30, looks very nice. Can never go wrong with black.
1. The vehicle, at minimum, has to be reprogrammed to install OEM "Angel Eyes." It makes a big difference as the lights are much brighter. This is a pretty big job, good luck!
2. Front Bumper upgrade I am assuming is the M-Sport bumper, Find it at getBMWparts.com.
3. Coral Red is very nice, $1,800 is steep. Find a set of used seats but be patient. The existing seats can be saved or sold. Maybe if you find the Red Highlights as the Red Trim, Sport Steering wheel with red threading, Put the red on the side door panels, etc.
4. Stay on the forum and look in the for sale area under suspension. An inexpensive way is to get a used M-Sport suspension, it will lower you 10MM.
5. Dinan has a great turbo but is $$$ as is inter-cooler, again watch the forums for someone selling.
6. Rod Bolts and baffle?! That is a lot of work and does not seem necessary unless you are tracking.

Glad you stayed with BMW!

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
Dinan_Rated
DINAN SELLER
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC X3M40i, DINAN M5 V10

not an M car or M sport, No M stripes
Appreciate 2
7iM3less2593.50
sspade2464.50
      10-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #4
Celoq23
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW F82

Congrats, I have a set of coilovers for sale if interested ��������
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 12:56 AM   #5
bmwchue
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

red interior are hard to find i can only find one in california with red interior right now
your best to get quotes from other shops for upholstery
angel eyes if not from factory are very expensive to get done
your best bet is some aftermarket plug n play look alike from eurowagons
https://eurowagens.com/xenon-look-he...f30-f31-11-15/
those are the cheapest besides from uniquestyleracings which is out of stock
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Extirpate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Congrats on the F30, looks very nice. Can never go wrong with black.
1. The vehicle, at minimum, has to be reprogrammed to install OEM "Angel Eyes." It makes a big difference as the lights are much brighter. This is a pretty big job, good luck!
2. Front Bumper upgrade I am assuming is the M-Sport bumper, Find it at getBMWparts.com.
3. Coral Red is very nice, $1,800 is steep. Find a set of used seats but be patient. The existing seats can be saved or sold. Maybe if you find the Red Highlights as the Red Trim, Sport Steering wheel with red threading, Put the red on the side door panels, etc.
4. Stay on the forum and look in the for sale area under suspension. An inexpensive way is to get a used M-Sport suspension, it will lower you 10MM.
5. Dinan has a great turbo but is $$$ as is inter-cooler, again watch the forums for someone selling.
6. Rod Bolts and baffle?! That is a lot of work and does not seem necessary unless you are tracking.

Glad you stayed with BMW!
Thanks for your input

looking for an M sport suspension on the forums isn't something I had thought about.

My primary focus is the headlights as they were tinted when I got them and hard to drive at night wih.

I haven't heard of another turbo out other than Dinan so that'll probably be last on my list as the price is so steep since you need the intercooler and exhaust with it
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Extirpate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Rated View Post
Hmm I mean that sounds legit (I'm kinda new to the whole BMW culture so I don't really know)

But isn't bmw selling m stripes on new non m cars? Like if you get the M sport package on a new 330i can't you pay like $200 to get a m stripe? http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=838516
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
Extirpate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwchue View Post
red interior are hard to find i can only find one in california with red interior right now
your best to get quotes from other shops for upholstery
angel eyes if not from factory are very expensive to get done
your best bet is some aftermarket plug n play look alike from eurowagons
https://eurowagens.com/xenon-look-he...f30-f31-11-15/
those are the cheapest besides from uniquestyleracings which is out of stock
I found a second place about an.hour away that'll do it for 1200 but it won't be a bmw red, just some generic red.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm I mean that sounds legit (I'm kinda new to the whole BMW culture so I don't really know)

But isn't bmw selling m stripes on new non m cars? Like if you get the M sport package on a new 330i can't you pay like $200 to get a m stripe? http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=838516
When Dinan refers to "M car" he's referencing either an M model such as M3 OR the other option when is a car with "M sport" package. You can absolutely get the stripes with let's say a 340 with M sport package.

Flip side he's saying if your cars a comfort line or luxury line then no don't get the stripes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #10
Dinan_Rated
DINAN SELLER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30 View Post
When Dinan refers to "M car" he's referencing either an M model such as M3. The other option is a car with "M sport" package. You can absolutely get the stripes with let's say a 340 with M sport package.

Flip side he's saying if your cars a comfort line or luxury line then no don't get the stripes.
Well Said
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #11
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

I looked all over for red seats (my wife loves them), and one day I had a revelation - you can't see the seats while you're sitting on them

I now have black SensaTec with red stitching, and I'm satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #12
Extirpate
Rep

Quote:
Well Said
Well if I were to mod the car enough to be comparable or better than a stock m sport version of my car (I think the only thing left is the suspension, have to do some more research) would it be acceptable to put the stripe on then?

Or is it just the fact that it wasn't an M car to begin with makes it unacceptable ?

I thought M just ment high performance, and if mines performing on a level equal or above the M sport.....?

I'm just confused , but the stripe looks amazing and I would love to put it on my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #13
Extirpate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
I looked all over for red seats (my wife loves them), and one day I had a revelation - you can't see the seats while you're sitting on them

I now have black SensaTec with red stitching, and I'm satisfied.
Haha that is a very good point . I dont know why i like them so much, just everyone I get into a bmw with them I get super giddy.

Maybe your right and if I do get them I'll end up regretting it
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #14
Dinan_Rated
DINAN SELLER
Rep

Quote:
Well if I were to mod the car enough to be comparable or better than a stock m sport version of my car (I think the only thing left is the suspension, have to do some more research) would it be acceptable to put the stripe on then?

Or is it just the fact that it wasn't an M car to begin with makes it unacceptable ?

I thought M just ment high performance, and if mines performing on a level equal or above the M sport.....?

I'm just confused , but the stripe looks amazing and I would love to put it on my car.
no M stripes unless it an M car or Factory M sport.. Just my 0.02 I love running plates on a car and seeing its a 320i when they have converted the car to look like a 340i and put M stickers all over it. Tends to be the younger kids here just getting into BMW's. Do as you please and enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Extirpate,

Headlight solutions:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1257101

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1178338

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1274932
      10-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #16
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Use Esys and a laptop for coding or this...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1385799
      10-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #17
Extirpate
Rep

Quote:
no M stripes unless it an M car or Factory M sport.. Just my 0.02 I love running plates on a car and seeing its a 320i when they have converted the car to look like a 340i and put M stickers all over it. Tends to be the younger kids here just getting into BMW's. Do as you please and enjoy the car!
Not sure I understand what your saying completely but thanks for the input!

Maybe I'll make sure I turn the car into 100% m sport package before adding it...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #18
Extirpate
Rep

THANK YOU! This helps tremendously
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #19
Dinan_Rated
DINAN SELLER
Rep

Quote:

Maybe I'll make sure I turn the car into 100% m sport package before adding it...
Still a base 3 series when you run the vin to verify packages and options. The Options you added won’t translate to oem options listed on car if vin is ran. For me the value is less then factory spec ordered the same way your trying to make the car. Not sure you’ll get you money value back but enjoy the car. Looks great as is.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #20
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:

Still a base 3 series when you run the vin to verify packages and options. The Options you added wonÂ’t translate to oem options listed on car if vin is ran. For me the value is less then factory spec ordered the same way your trying to make the car. Not sure youÂ’ll get you money value back but enjoy the car. Looks great as is.
I think anything the OP does should be for his personal interests as your saying.

My suggestion to him would be to stay strategic. Anything you add, make a plan on how you would remove down the road. The best thing he can do if he chooses to get rid of the car down the road is to get it back to its original state and sell the add ons separately.

Keep everything, don't sell or throw away the old stuff!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #21
Extirpate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30 View Post
I think anything the OP does should be for his personal interests as your saying.

My suggestion to him would be to stay strategic. Anything you add, make a plan on how you would remove down the road. The best thing he can do if he chooses to get rid of the car down the road is to get it back to its original state and sell the add ons separately.

Keep everything, don't sell or throw away the old stuff!
Keeping everything don't worry!

Hopefully, I can place an order for headlights soon. The depot website that I'm trying to order from is out of stock ( I've got a coupon code for this site that gives 10% off )
Appreciate 0