F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HUD a must have?
ARMA SPEED

11-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #45
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

I got the HUD. It's one of those things I love but I definitely don't need... kinda like my BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #46
bmargolis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Fenomeno 415 View Post
I'm taking delivery next week and I am obsessing over not ordering the full tech package hence no HUD for me. I just ordered the standalone navigation. After reading posts most people with HUDs love theirs but also a few seem indifferent and say its underwhelming. Wanted to ask people's opinion on must having a HUD or not and how it effects their actual driving experience. I know its a helpful option but does not having it spoil anything significant about the driving experience?

I passed on it while configuring because BMW Apps does not interest me whatsoever and I felt HUD was just an extra something "cool" to have in the car.

Thoughts??
It's improved from my 2010 550 to my current 2012 335. Now there are music functions, information, phone call information etc. that's in the HUD. I also could NOT see it at all in the 550 while wearing polarized glasses. In the 335 it's brighter and I can see it with my polarized sun glasses (although it's not so bright unless I tilt my head)

2013 335i xDrive – 6-speed, AW, M Sport Line, Cold Weather, Dymanic Handling, Premium, Technology, 403M, Black Grills, Carbon Caps, Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #47
MacBlack335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Fenomeno 415 View Post
I'm taking delivery next week and I am obsessing over not ordering the full tech package hence no HUD for me. I just ordered the standalone navigation. After reading posts most people with HUDs love theirs but also a few seem indifferent and say its underwhelming. Wanted to ask people's opinion on must having a HUD or not and how it effects their actual driving experience. I know its a helpful option but does not having it spoil anything significant about the driving experience?

I passed on it while configuring because BMW Apps does not interest me whatsoever and I felt HUD was just an extra something "cool" to have in the car.

Thoughts??
Yuup! Well worth the cost..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #48
Sharkinthewater
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M Sport

Garage List
The HUD is nice icing on the cake. I'm also an aviation nut, so its cool to see fighter jet tech making its way into cars. Same principle, better to keep your eyes looking outside of the vehicle where all the action is. My wife's X3 doesn't have it, and its not a huge loss, but if you've got the money for it it is pretty cool - especially at night.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #49
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i modern line

I think it's a little frivolous, but I was sure I wanted it because when I found a comfortable seating position on a test drive, the steering wheel and my hand were blocking the speedometer.

It's real important that I don't go over a certain speed as there are police all along my commute, and in this car it would be real easy to hit 90 without realizing it.

And it's just cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #50
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.cash View Post
I think it's a little frivolous, but I was sure I wanted it because when I found a comfortable seating position on a test drive, the steering wheel and my hand were blocking the speedometer.

It's real important that I don't go over a certain speed as there are police all along my commute, and in this car it would be real easy to hit 90 without realizing it.

And it's just cool.
I had a similar experience on my test drive. No matter how I seemed to position my seat or the steering wheel there always seemed to be something blocking the crucial part of the speedometer. It was very easy to push the car up beyond the speed limit without realising it.

My commute has plenty of speed cameras along the way, so having that bit of additional comfort of the speed reading in my eye line was an easy option to check.

It may not be an absolute essential but it sure is cool and definitely a great extra bit of safety
      11-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #51
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 LCI M3 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
I had a similar experience on my test drive. No matter how I seemed to position my seat or the steering wheel there always seemed to be something blocking the crucial part of the speedometer. It was very easy to push the car up beyond the speed limit without realising it.

My commute has plenty of speed cameras along the way, so having that bit of additional comfort of the speed reading in my eye line was an easy option to check.

It may not be an absolute essential but it sure is cool and definitely a great extra bit of safety
Hi Rjberry, first I noticed anyone with a non standard range colour on their M Sport in this forum. The Tanzanite blue is supposedly an Individual colour. Did you have to pay extra on top of the cost for metallic paint? Is it similar to the Imperial blue brilliant. Are you in love with it?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #52
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenshot View Post
Hi Rjberry, first I noticed anyone with a non standard range colour on their M Sport in this forum. The Tanzanite blue is supposedly an Individual colour. Did you have to pay extra on top of the cost for metallic paint? Is it similar to the Imperial blue brilliant. Are you in love with it?
The Tanzanite Blue is an individual colour and costs above the standard metallic price, I can't remember exactly how much more now but approx £800 bringing the total cost to around £1300 for the paint.

It is similar but different to Imperial Blue. The Imperial seems to be a flat colour with no depth whereas the Tanzanite is beautiful and in any kind of sunlight is stunning. The individual flakes within the paint transform the car.

Am I in love with it? Absolutely yes!! Well worth every extra penny it cost and makes me smile every time I see my car. I still find excuses to just go out and have a look even now just over 2 months after getting it
      11-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #53
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
Am I in love with it? Absolutely yes!! Well worth every extra penny it cost and makes me smile every time I see my car. I still find excuses to just go out and have a look even now just over 2 months after getting it
Awesome, really good for you! Do you some good pictures you could post here. I can vaguely tell from your mini photos that you also selected beige interior to go with the Blue. Was it the Dakota Beige (where it's light all through the car) or one of the other light colours where only the seats and door inserts are light colour and rest are black?

Get much compliments about your translucent blue?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #54
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, really good for you! Do you some good pictures you could post here. I can vaguely tell from your mini photos that you also selected beige interior to go with the Blue. Was it the Dakota Beige (where it's light all through the car) or one of the other light colours where only the seats and door inserts are light colour and rest are black?

Get much compliments about your translucent blue?
I have an old thread with all the photos I took upon delivery here:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739329

The interior is the Individual Cashmere Beige which has the seats and trims in the beige leather with the carpets and surrounds in the normal anthracite colour.

Everyone who sees it, loves it and there are compliments every time. Even those who have seen it before still can't believe how good it is
      11-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #55
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Ah yes I found your other forum post on google when I searched for the Tanzanite blue. I see that you've also added a few pictures, especially those of the interior. I'm sure you will never get sick of hearing this but it's absolutely stunning mate!

What sort of extra dollars/pounds are we talking about to get the individual Cashmere beige happening? Over here, we only have black/red/all-beige to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #56
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes I found your other forum post on google when I searched for the Tanzanite blue. I see that you've also added a few pictures, especially those of the interior. I'm sure you will never get sick of hearing this but it's absolutely stunning mate!

What sort of extra dollars/pounds are we talking about to get the individual Cashmere beige happening? Over here, we only have black/red/all-beige to choose from.
I do love the compliments, if there weren't any I'd be gutted

I think the Cashmere Beige was about £1200. It is Merino leather though and you can really feel the quality. The combination of the colours on the inside and outside is perfect and looks even better than the photos show.
      11-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #57
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I rang the dealer yesterday and he told me that in order to upgrade to Merino Leather, I must also upgrade the Trim to a Piano Black or the equivalent higher grade wood.

I'm not keen on upgrading the trim as I'm quite satisfied with the basic wood trim that is only a $200 option rather than a $500 for the Piano Black. What was it like for you, did you have to upgrade the trim as well or was it independent of the Merino leather upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #58
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I rang the dealer yesterday and he told me that in order to upgrade to Merino Leather, I must also upgrade the Trim to a Piano Black or the equivalent higher grade wood.

I'm not keen on upgrading the trim as I'm quite satisfied with the basic wood trim that is only a $200 option rather than a $500 for the Piano Black. What was it like for you, did you have to upgrade the trim as well or was it independent of the Merino leather upgrade?
No, I had to go with the upgraded trim too so I went with Piano Black. It does look beautiful though and the way I saw it was it was only a small bit extra and when I'd already gone so far it would be a shame to pull back just for the sake of a few hundred

The Piano Black does look good, especially as the rest of the interior is the dark anthracite colour. It all blends together very nicely.
      11-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #59
F30-Sport-2013
2013 328i Sport, Alpine White, w/Premium/Nav. Pkg.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i Sport Alpine W.

I have just finalized a test drive on a F30 (with all the options from my "wish list" included on it) and then I called my wife to let her know that I already selected my future BMW, and then she asked me if the car had the Nav. Pkg. I said, no, that's the only thing that I don't mind to have, but she advice me to include it, and fortunately, in Dealer's inventory I found an almost exact replica (same color, seats, options) that also included the Nav. package, so after a short negotiation, I chose that one (sadly it didn't come with the shift pads). The vendor told me that this package includes the HUD too, but at this moment I just focused on the nav features and the screen display and I really didn't gave too much importance to the HUD. However after a couple of weeks driving with this feature, I can tell, that I agree 100% what others are saying: before, I didn't know that I need it , now I just consider it a priority. I really miss it when I drive my wife's new MB (it doesn't have it!).

I agree that it's a "luxury" option, but hey, I just get so be accustomed to it that now is one of my favorites features. The only thing is that I need to change my Polarized sunglasses...

Last edited by F30-Sport-2013; 11-07-2012 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #60
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

The HUD simplifies things and makes the nav. brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #61
rxander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 Alpine White

The heads up display is what justified the extra cost for tech package for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #62
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxander View Post
The heads up display is what justified the extra cost for tech package for me.
Yes and it's nice to have the speed limit displayed as well. Overall it's been pretty accurate from what I can tell.
      11-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #63
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

This graphic does a good job showing some of the things that HUD can display, depending on options.

That would include:

1) Speed limit for current road (captured via Speed Limit Info 8TH camera behind rear view mirror)
2) Current vehicle speed (white)
3) Cruise control set speed (green)
4) Lane Departure Warning
5) Navigation visualizations

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #64
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
I got the HUD. It's one of those things I love but I definitely don't need... kinda like my BMW.
Which is why it's necessary.

I've had the car for a few days. I haven't used the nav, which I'm sure will make the HUD a must have. But for general driving it's a "meh" only because it just shows speed. Though I admit, changing stations is really nice because you don't have to look away or take your hand off the wheel.

The big thing for me is that as a developer, the lack of integration between HUD and iDrive is astonishing. For most of the screens on the iDrive, I should have an "push to HUD" option.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:19 AM   #65
NvDiS
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

curious can the HUD be turned on and off?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #66
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvDiS View Post
curious can the HUD be turned on and off?
Yes it can, in the HUD settings (which include on/off, data it shows, brightness, height and rotation) in iDrive