F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > For what it's worth: free tuning
Studio RSR

07-21-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

For what it's worth: free tuning

Did you notice that after washing, waxing, detailing...the car always runs much faster and handles better?

Seriously... Resetting the "adaptions" for the EGS and DME for me gave some very snappy response and overall smoother idle and engine sound. I used ISTA+ for the DME and Esys for the EGS, but I think ISTA+ also has EGS adaptation reset.

Some background: replaced my timing chain tensioner in my N26 as a precaution (1 hr job, part $75) . Noticed a bit tighter chain and seemingly less rattle afterwards, although I do not think the chain or tensioner was about to fail. Recommend for anyone who has the original tensioner prior to 2015 to chnage, as they are more prone to fail, weaker spring, different oil passages (new design). A slacking timing chain can affect timing as the engine is trying to adjust to an increasing out of sync between the crankshaft sensor and cam-sensor.

But, the real change in handling and shifting, smoother engine run came as I was hunting down a persistent info error (trailer AHM no message). During that process I reset the EGS and the DME. I also flashed the DME from the 2015 I-Step to a 2020 I-Step, but not sure if that contributed as well.

Also, originally I had the 205 VO code for my EGS and about two years ago during an NBT HU retrofit I changed it to 2TB. There are a lot of posts on that...it's a low hanging fruit. As far as snappy shifting, longer acceleration before shifts...that was a vey noticeable improvement, especially at highway speeds passing.

So the recent adaptation reset may have restored both the DME and EGS to "learning mode" again after months of slow city driving.

Note: after resetting the DME, shut down car, allow it to sleep, then when starting let it idle for at least 2 mins.
      07-21-2023, 08:26 PM   #2
ashkanvafaee2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I also noticed much better throttle response and smoother shifting after getting my I-Step updated at the dealership. The throttle adaptation reset procedure with the gas pedal also helps a bit.

The problem is that sluggishness returns after about a week. So the real question is how to automatically reset everything on every start up.

Maybe a bm3/mhd tune fixes this?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 10:26 PM   #3
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I prefer keeping stock. But I like the more sporty and snappy response.

I believe the computer adjusts to your driving habits. Since being in the city, stop and go and all, eventually it probably settles in a less aggressive setup.
      07-22-2023, 10:51 AM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

The car automatically adjusts to driving habits. If you drive like an "old grandma" it adjust as so. If you are aggressive all the time, same deal.

It will dynamically adjust without resetting the adaptations (that's just the fast track). And yes, fully agree with there is a change when you reset them. If I do higher RPM downshifts coming off the highway, my 4th gear gets a pretty harsh shift flare (much better have xHP, but it's still there). Resetting brings it back to normal, as does lower RPM shifts over time.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 02:53 PM   #5
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Cars are released and the istep controlling its performance based on the pre-release testing, often tens if not hundreds of thousands miles, is used.

As real world result come in over the first several years, those parameters are adjusted accordingly. One should always get their istep updated yearly for the first 4 years at minimum. The shifts and performance of the N55 F3x improved dramatically with newer steps. Same with B58s.

Depending on when/if your car was ever updated, that might have been your significant improvement.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 06:16 PM   #6
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
The car automatically adjusts to driving habits. If you drive like an "old grandma" it adjust as so.

OUCH! Hilarious, but true.... The stop and go city traffic eventually gets you.
      07-22-2023, 06:25 PM   #7
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Cars are released and the istep controlling its performance based on the pre-release testing, often tens if not hundreds of thousands miles, is used.

As real world result come in over the first several years, those parameters are adjusted accordingly. One should always get their istep updated yearly for the first 4 years at minimum. The shifts and performance of the N55 F3x improved dramatically with newer steps. Same with B58s.

Depending on when/if your car was ever updated, that might have been your significant improvement.
Good insight on the evolution of the powertrain ECU-control gathered by BMW from actual user inputs worldwide. I have a shipment date of 2012 and current I-Step from 2015 (except the DME). Been holding off updating. Partly because I had no issues, but mainly because I have a retrofit NBT HU, dimming rear view mirror, that required some VO coding changes and FDL coding scattered around many ECUs.

But now that my car is at 103K miles, unlikely that it will ever go back to the dealer under my ownership, so may flash the other ECUs too. And if I sell it I can go back to stock all the way using my original FA/VO files and the latest I-Steps.
      07-22-2023, 06:33 PM   #8
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
Good insight on the evolution of the powertrain ECU-control gathered by BMW from actual user inputs worldwide. I have a shipment date of 2012 and current I-Step from 2015 (except the DME). Been holding off updating. Partly because I had no issues, but mainly because I have a retrofit NBT HU, dimming rear view mirror, that required some VO coding changes and FDL coding scattered around many ECUs.

But now that my car is at 103K miles, unlikely that it will ever go back to the dealer under my ownership, so may flash the other ECUs too. And if I sell it I can go back to stock all the way using my original FA/VO files and the latest I-Steps.
I can tell you they really smoothed out the jerky shifting from the first few years (2012-2014) several years later.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 10:12 AM   #9
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post

OUCH! Hilarious, but true.... The stop and go city traffic eventually gets you.
I find winter really "kills the car". After driving carefully in ice and snow for a couple months, the car feels pretty lethargic for a while.
Appreciate 0