F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Brought my car for diagnosis today
proTUNING Freaks

07-26-2023, 08:09 PM   #1
Djphonics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MK7 GSW - E91 - 5th gen VFR

Brought my car for diagnosis today

Hi,

I brought my car to the dealer today to get some items diagnosed. The guy seemed to look at me like I was high though when I was explaining my issues. I must admit, that they're a bit odd.

The car is a b58, rwd, 6mt. (2018) vehicle has 92,898km.

1. Consumed about 1L of oil in 4-5000kms. Then it consumed another 1L in 1-1500kms. It's been fine afterwards. start/stop worked during this oil consumption phase, and then stopped working afterwards. It's the only item that coincided with the oil consumption. - This was agreed that it was odd and will be looked at.

2. Hesitation when cold. Just the first couple minutes when the car has been sitting overnight. After a day of work, it doesn't do this. The easiest explanation is it's turbo lag in first gear, but it doesn't do this at any other time. - guy said his n55 does this and recommended that I idle the car for 5-10 minutes before taking off. Given that these are DI engines, I don't like the idea of idling the car for this long. Should I actually be doing this? Seems a bit outdated, we're not dealing with chokes here. - Not being looked at.

3. earlier today, when travelling at 30-32 km/h, going down hill in traffic, I was in third gear, and the car was 'pulsing'. rpm was erratic and the car was pulling and then slowing. rpm was at about 1200-1300. constant, light throttle was given. - being lumped into the diagnosis for item 4. although I was advised that I should have been in a higher gear. Usually you can tell when a car is struggling, and I 'cruise' in traffic in 3rd like this without issue frequently.

4. car just shakes when stopped sometimes. The first 2-3 times this happened, the tank was full. the last couple times it was at a half tank. In my unprofessional opinion, it's like the motor momentarily lost fuel, and then got it back again. - this is being diagnosed as well.

No lights have come on, or notifications (other than the low oil warning).

My fear is that nothing will appear for the diagnosis, and I will have wasted this time and money for no reason.

Just curious if anyone else has had any similar experiences to the above, and what had transpired.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 08:18 PM   #2
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

don’t know about your oil consumption issue, some of the other issues with hesitation and all, there are a few things i’d look at replacing… they’re known to go bad and can be viewed as regular maintenance. you can also look up these topics on bimmerpost to see if what others have reported sounds like what you’re experiencing:

1. vanos actuators, intake and exhaust side.
2. fuel tank breather valve
3. spark plugs/coils/injectors - if any of these have never been changed on your car, i’d definitely do them.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2023, 06:10 AM   #3
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Not sure what gear your mechanic expects you to be in.
Sure you CAN be in a higher gear at 30kph, but why. Anything higher and it will either shift you down to 2nd or 3rd when you push the gas, or if it's a manual, 3rd is higher than you should be.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2023, 06:58 AM   #4
Djphonics
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
don’t know about your oil consumption issue, some of the other issues with hesitation and all, there are a few things i’d look at replacing… they’re known to go bad and can be viewed as regular maintenance. you can also look up these topics on bimmerpost to see if what others have reported sounds like what you’re experiencing:

1. vanos actuators, intake and exhaust side.
2. fuel tank breather valve
3. spark plugs/coils/injectors - if any of these have never been changed on your car, i’d definitely do them.
Thanks for the response. The advisor sent me an email this morning regarding the plugs being due. I've got to review my warranty conditions, as I'd prefer to do this myself. I asked them not to proceed with it.

I'll do some digging in the forum regarding the forementioned items.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 07:01 AM   #5
Djphonics
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
Not sure what gear your mechanic expects you to be in.
Sure you CAN be in a higher gear at 30kph, but why. Anything higher and it will either shift you down to 2nd or 3rd when you push the gas, or if it's a manual, 3rd is higher than you should be.
It is a manual.

he was suggesting a lower gear. If I was accelerating, I'd agree, but just coasting, especially downhill, I don't see why I need to be in higher gear. None of my other cars have needed to cruise at 2k rpm like this. Either way, I won't shift up moving forward. (no pun intended)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 07:26 AM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Your #2 point is normal. You don't need to idle forever; it has a bit of hesitation/surge if you start the engine cold, and drive off and put the engine under load right away. Mine does it for the first block as a climb the hill out of my neighborhood and then it goes away (did this since new).

Now, that being said, with the other things you identified, sounds like there is root cause that would explain this (if it's not like above) and your other issues (except oil).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 08:25 AM   #7
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djphonics View Post
Thanks for the response. The advisor sent me an email this morning regarding the plugs being due. I've got to review my warranty conditions, as I'd prefer to do this myself. I asked them not to proceed with it.

I'll do some digging in the forum regarding the forementioned items.
if you've never done plugs I think you're way overdue, B58s are known to go through plugs quickly, BMW says every 6th oil change, I would honestly do them every 30,000 miles, you're almost at twice that already. if you're gonna do plugs, just do coils as well as preventative maintenance. as I mentioned, injectors will need to be replaced at some point too. the hesitations could easily be related to an injector going bad. but that's up to you, as changing injectors is more expensive than plugs/coils.

is your car bucking in low RPM? there's a thread about B58s bucking, and that's related to the vanos actuators that I mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 10:08 AM   #8
Djphonics
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
if you've never done plugs I think you're way overdue, B58s are known to go through plugs quickly, BMW says every 6th oil change, I would honestly do them every 30,000 miles, you're almost at twice that already. if you're gonna do plugs, just do coils as well as preventative maintenance. as I mentioned, injectors will need to be replaced at some point too. the hesitations could easily be related to an injector going bad. but that's up to you, as changing injectors is more expensive than plugs/coils.

is your car bucking in low RPM? there's a thread about B58s bucking, and that's related to the vanos actuators that I mentioned.
That's precisely what was happening in 3rd gear yesterday. Bucking is a better term for it. I said pulsing (I think).

I agree with the plugs. I've been trying to dig up a maintenance schedule to get everything thrown in my calendar. I've got to get my e91 off my quick jack so I can do all my fluid swaps, and get it up to snuff.

I'm surprised that changing out injectors in considered a maintenance item. I've never had to replace any in my life, and have had some higher mileage cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 10:57 AM   #9
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djphonics View Post
That's precisely what was happening in 3rd gear yesterday. Bucking is a better term for it. I said pulsing (I think).

I agree with the plugs. I've been trying to dig up a maintenance schedule to get everything thrown in my calendar. I've got to get my e91 off my quick jack so I can do all my fluid swaps, and get it up to snuff.

I'm surprised that changing out injectors in considered a maintenance item. I've never had to replace any in my life, and have had some higher mileage cars.
i haven't done my injectors or anything yet, but many people in the B58 section of these forums have replaced their injectors. The injector part number was also updated for 2018 cars, so you'd have to assume upgrades or previous issues might've been resolved with a newer design.

My plan is to do my 2nd plug change, coils, injectors, and vanos actuators all by the time my car hits 65k miles. i also like doing preventative maintenance, but many people just wait until an issue actual gets identified and fix it then. injectors definitely dont last forever, they get gunked up, and cause issues similar to what you're having. a stuck injector has also been one of the top killers of B58 engines.

but all of that stuff is unrelated to your original post, sometimes throwing money at a problem before it's identified can hurt if you end up not fixing it. at the same time, if doing maintenance that needs to be done either way fixes an issue you've been having, you can feel quite good after.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 06:20 PM   #10
Djphonics
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i haven't done my injectors or anything yet, but many people in the B58 section of these forums have replaced their injectors. The injector part number was also updated for 2018 cars, so you'd have to assume upgrades or previous issues might've been resolved with a newer design.

My plan is to do my 2nd plug change, coils, injectors, and vanos actuators all by the time my car hits 65k miles. i also like doing preventative maintenance, but many people just wait until an issue actual gets identified and fix it then. injectors definitely dont last forever, they get gunked up, and cause issues similar to what you're having. a stuck injector has also been one of the top killers of B58 engines.

but all of that stuff is unrelated to your original post, sometimes throwing money at a problem before it's identified can hurt if you end up not fixing it. at the same time, if doing maintenance that needs to be done either way fixes an issue you've been having, you can feel quite good after.
My old neighbour had a volvo s60, and was an engineer. He would start taking things apart to measure them to ensure they were within tolerance. I am nowhere near this level. I keep on top of maintenance though.

Received the call that the car is a-okay. It's always frustrating knowing something ain't right, but can't be found.
Appreciate 0