F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OT UK: M4 Thoughts 2000 miles in.
GetBMWParts

01-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

OT UK: M4 Thoughts 2000 miles in.

Hopefully not p1$$ing people off writing up here in F30 but a few have asked and PM'd me for feedback and this is the busiest UK thread so...

F80 M4 UK Ownership 2000 miles in.

So I've pretty much done the car pics and feedback so here's some other random thoughts and observations all intended to help! :-
  • Leaving the dealers in your 1st M car feels amazing! This was a dream for me and there's only one other car on my list of must do's. I'm so stoked to be driving this every day.
  • Leaving the dealers in your 1st M car at the start of winter is a really bad idea! She's dirty every day, it can be a handful in the wet and ice and cold makes the mpg look worse too to scare you in the first weeks.
  • People love an M, it does attract some attention. I think BSM colour has worked a little to quieten it, but I think it makes people look a little closer to check what it is. A good experience was quite sweet, a group of teenage kids literally jumped in the air and took phone pics as I drove down the high st, the not so good a golf GTI (obviosuly!) pulled alongside wanting a race on the M6, this is starting to happen quite a bit.
  • DCT is freaking amazing. Simple as that. It can be a lady in the street and a freak in the bed, docile to thumping gear changes awesome. The ZF8 is smoother overalll though if that is important to you.
  • The car an amazing crusier, I think I have got this right now, 6MT 235i was a bit noisy at high Mway speed, this car can be quieter if you want it to and the longer wheelbase and wide track just makes it very stable.
  • The noise on start up at 5:30 when leaving for a long work trip is great for the neighbours!
  • Speed limit display and HUD are your driving licenses new best friends.
  • NON RFTs is the future, they are superb, I've had so many RFT equipped cars I'd forgotten what ride could be like.
  • This car is blisteringly fast, mental. It literally scares anyone in my family I've sat in the passenger seat. Wimps.
  • It can be a practical car, 4 full size adults in interior respectable quality, almost 500L boot, roof racks, briilliant.
  • The steering is AMAZING, I'm loving the feel and precision, its fantastic in Sport+ such a meaty stable steering feel!

OK so rambling over, the real questions, here we go, any questions ask away and I'll add to this list:-
  • Any Regrets? Hmm I could say bottling it first time around? However then I wouldn't have had the M235i which I loved and still do wish I'd kept for a short journey fun spin. For those shorted journeys to me a 6MT M235i or M2 is the better car. I also wonder about BSM as it gets dirty so easy....but then I clean it an BAMM wow!!
  • So fuel economy? Stabilised now at about 27mpg, perfecty happy with this, might rise a little in summer lets see, God bless the fuel prices right now.
  • What's it like in the snow? Utterly terrifying at first, It needs to be in Ecnomical throttle for sure, I tried Sport+ for about 2 miles and decieded I really wanted to keep my no claims. IF you can keep it real and not mess about then it is just like any other SDrive car to be honest. That's this cars trick, it can a 328i/335i at the flip of a switch, no that they're under powered cars, but its controllable.
  • So it sounds like pure turd? Not really, you do get used to it and appreciate it. Start up and Sport/Sport+ are great. Confined spaces and start up will make you grin every time. I do not think I will need to go for M Perf exhaust this time around. £3k towards next car already! I'm perhaps naïve and lucky not to have owned any V8/V10 beasts like the M5s and last M3, hands down this is not as good but I honestly think it sounds very impressive.
  • Why did you change so quickly from the M235i? I got the M235i slightly wrong. Should have gone auto with my mileage (20-25k mpa). I have toyed, as have many of you, with going for a few cars to cover all bases, I decided that I needed to keep it to 1. Daily drive for me has about 35m of motorway each way. M235i wasn't a great cruiser in my spec. This car takes care of giggles, commuting and family chores no problem.
  • Does it make sense to get an M car? No. Simple as that. If you're working out fuel costs, lease cost or anything else on a spread sheet, walk away. You need to buy an M4 with your heart and not your head. I just had to do this car at this time.
  • Does it drive better than our 330D/335D/335i's? In 80% of circumstances no chance. Same at best. Again I guess this cars trick is that mpg aside it can ape those cars at the flick of a switch but has it own beast mode to go into at the flick of a switch too.
  • Any spec advice?It comes very loaded already. CF interior is an essential I think. Aside from that if you fancy the 6MT you could add nothing and have a very high spec car still (Pro Nav/Leather/Heated Seats/Elec Seats/Folding Mirrors/Xenon etc etc). With discounts these new cars could soon be under £50k as base is £54k with haggling and then you're talking!
  • What would you advise if I'm on the fence about this car? Persuade your dealer for a really, really long test drive. A weekend if you can? I cancelled my original (SO colour) M4 following a 30min test drive! I was so under whelmed at the time I recall. Maybe there was a bit too much to take in, but I think in honesty I'd built it up in my head over months of launch wind up! Now the dust has settled its all getting a bit more sensible (reviewers have also stopped comparing it to ridiculous peers from a class above like the first review I read vs a 911C2S!) I think it takes a bit of time to get to know the car and how to get the best out of it. I'll admit it I think its an absolute masterpiece. The hot smell of the exhaust and engine when you arrive home, you just can write that up in a blog. The effortless cruising at XXmph on the Mway. The brutal muscle car torque and pull that you can choose to short shift on or take it 7600 RPM if you like, the DCT that just obeys and lets you pick whatever you want, quite a brilliant package wrapped in looks to kill.

I hope this comes across as pretty humble which is how I am about this car, its not better than everything else in the BMW locker, everyone buys their car for their own needs. I am however very very very pleased with it. For around £60k it does it all and is on a par with performance of a Ferrari F40 FFS, that's bonkers driving it every day to work! YOLO, its costing a packet but feels special every mile.

Thanks for reading if you're still here, hope it helps anyone on the fence. Also saved this for my 3000th post, whoop whoop!
Happy driving folks.

Last edited by JustChris; 01-31-2015 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 8
      01-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Great to hear thanks mate! Makes me look forward to my first M car! I just need to somehow earn more money but yet also do less mileage, which is an oxymoron so not likely to happen soon.

And i don't blame you for posting this in here, it is eerily quiet over in the UK F80/82 forum!
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
JonD
Major
Rep
Drives: 1 Series Coupe, M Sport

Great post Chris, and such a worthy subject for your 3,000th post !

One day, maybe next time round a full fat M could be on the cards
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
Zippeh
Captain
Wales
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Manual 2015

Great post. Glad youre enjoying it. Still not seen you about!
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Very glad youre enjoying it.

For me, if i was spending £60k on a car, it would be a GTR every single time. Nothing would persuade me otherwise.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippeh View Post
Great post. Glad youre enjoying it. Still not seen you about!
Just a black shadow flashing past......

lol.

How you enjoying the January sign up to the gym nearby? All been done up over Nov/Dec so facilities should be top notch there now
      01-31-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Very glad youre enjoying it.

For me, if i was spending £60k on a car, it would be a GTR every single time. Nothing would persuade me otherwise.
GTR is a special car, not as much of a DD as I'd need, space wise and sadly there's a certain cut off point too on mpg. Isn't it also about £78k now or more or is that just the silly RRP? Does make me gawp every time I see one go by still though. Not elegantly beautiful but a beast to behold!
      01-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Humble and inspiring post. Like the fact one cannot justify the cost of an M4 but eh, you can't take it with you.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 03:19 PM   #9
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
GTR is a special car, not as much of a DD as I'd need, space wise and sadly there's a certain cut off point too on mpg. Isn't it also about £78k now or more or is that just the silly RRP? Does make me gawp every time I see one go by still though. Not elegantly beautiful but a beast to behold!
Yeah, brand new its more expensive but you'd get a great example for £60k. Supercar running costs though.

Very soon one may be in my possesion if i can make the man maths work out.

Lots of AUC M4's on web in noticed, all sitting around the £50k mark.

Hopefully the decent discounts arent far away.

Enjoy your motor buddy. Its an immense machine for sure.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
pmheadwired
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30- 340i M Sport Plus SP Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Great to hear thanks mate! Makes me look forward to my first M car! I just need to somehow earn more money but yet also do less mileage, which is an oxymoron so not likely to happen soon.

And i don't blame you for posting this in here, it is eerily quiet over in the UK F80/82 forum!
Exactly the same as me. Just need to clear a bit of debt following the recent house move then see how I can up my salary slightly whilst doing less miles

I would then be looking at the M4 for sure. For me the M4 is the most appealing of the M cars.
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
Zippeh
Captain
Wales
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Manual 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
Just a black shadow flashing past......

lol.

How you enjoying the January sign up to the gym nearby? All been done up over Nov/Dec so facilities should be top notch there now
Yeah its pretty good! Making the most of the early mornings there.

I saw a white M4 today in Llandudno Junction. That looked awesome!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Great write up for a great car.

An M is do able if I get wife a KA or Corsa and make daughter get bus lol.

Seriously though I do need the space of a tourer.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #13
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Thanks for this write up, very useful! I'm almost certain going for an M car next time round, I loved the M5 I test drove, need to go for a back to back test though with an M3/M4 versus the M5 when the time is right.
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
Thanks for this write up, very useful! I'm almost certain going for an M car next time round, I loved the M5 I test drove, need to go for a back to back test though with an M3/M4 versus the M5 when the time is right.
Superb car and can be had for less than the M3/4 as is well publicised now. Try them back to back if possible as there must be a very different feel to them. I can't imagine how much restraint you need with the loud pedal in the current M5! It does irk me a bit that IMO my 520D looked very very close to the M5. A few here disagree but I think the M3/4 look very different, M3 the most extreme makeover of any M car.
      01-31-2015, 04:15 PM   #15
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Thanks for taking the time Chris to write that up. Wife has agreed we get one next. As and when depends on discounts, rates and trade in on mine. I would expect probably around spring 2016.

We're going to get a Conv I think. Yes it's heavier but somehow that extra weight doesn't transfer into the lardiness that afflicts the regular 4 Conv which I didn't like at all - it's been an eye opener for me as was dead against it (wife's suggestion). It seems much closer to Coupe and is remarkably tight for a 4 seat Conv. Anyway, It's being used more as a fast GT and daily driver for me and I'm not going to be tracking it so seems a good compromise. The noise coming from back with roof down is rather lovely. The really strange thing is it's seems to deal with rear traction better than coupe - perhaps it's the extra weight?? More investigation needed as was only a short drive (passing another dealer on Friday and couldn't resist).

You're quite right in brief drive not enough - we've arranged driving back to back with local dealer over a weekend to make sure decision right and then just a question of sitting tight waiting for call from dealer when sums add up.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #16
ewanmac
Captain
Rep
Drives: m140i

27mpg is incredible for a car with this much power. It's not that long ago (ok 16 years ago when I think about it) that my first BMW, a basic 318ci with a 118bhp engine, delivered 29mpg!

The more and more I read about it, the more I want one!
      01-31-2015, 04:58 PM   #17
happycow6171
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

Yes very interesting and imformative write up chris, very impressed with the 27 mpg which funnily enough beats the 26 mpg of the vert.
Halliwell are doing a deal now on the m4, and it is tempting, but I feel even better deals maybe around in quarter 2 so may just sit tight for now.
Anyway really pleased your enjoying your first m car and I hope it isn't too long before I get one!!!.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #18
Geo's comps
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d Msport + coupe

Great post chris, just reading your review makes me feel like I need a M car in my life.
To me it is obvious you are enjoying the car, however going forward have you thought much about your next car since you cover so much mileage pa ?
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #19
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo's comps View Post
Great post chris, just reading your review makes me feel like I need a M car in my life.
To me it is obvious you are enjoying the car, however going forward have you thought much about your next car since you cover so much mileage pa ?
Thank you.

Great question, I had thought about this car being a special treat, a 'one off' for my 40th coming up in October. Just driving home tonight on some dark back lanes I thought ......... "where do I go from here!?"

I'm not saying this is the pinnacle of the motoring world but for my earnings it really should be. My other dream car referred to in the first sentence of the OP is the classic 911, THE car to me. I think I'm going to start squirrelling for a 50th!

In between I could see an M2 as the replacement but who knows. I might get lucky with work and reduce my travel, there are plans for that, Sky would be the limit then
      01-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Thanks for taking the time Chris to write that up. Wife has agreed we get one next. As and when depends on discounts, rates and trade in on mine. I would expect probably around spring 2016.

We're going to get a Conv I think. Yes it's heavier but somehow that extra weight doesn't transfer into the lardiness that afflicts the regular 4 Conv which I didn't like at all - it's been an eye opener for me as was dead against it (wife's suggestion). It seems much closer to Coupe and is remarkably tight for a 4 seat Conv. Anyway, It's being used more as a fast GT and daily driver for me and I'm not going to be tracking it so seems a good compromise. The noise coming from back with roof down is rather lovely. The really strange thing is it's seems to deal with rear traction better than coupe - perhaps it's the extra weight?? More investigation needed as was only a short drive (passing another dealer on Friday and couldn't resist).

You're quite right in brief drive not enough - we've arranged driving back to back with local dealer over a weekend to make sure decision right and then just a question of sitting tight waiting for call from dealer when sums add up.
No problem and thank you.

Great news, hope I've helped to sway you but the vert is on another level due to that extra aural treat, will be a cracker! I think in the right colour it can look better than the coupe too as the glasshouse cockpit looks a bit narrower and makes the arches look even more purposeful.

One things for sure it will be fun speccing it and shopping.
      01-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycow6171 View Post
Yes very interesting and imformative write up chris, very impressed with the 27 mpg which funnily enough beats the 26 mpg of the vert.
Halliwell are doing a deal now on the m4, and it is tempting, but I feel even better deals maybe around in quarter 2 so may just sit tight for now.
Anyway really pleased your enjoying your first m car and I hope it isn't too long before I get one!!!.
I think you're right, quite a few stock cars are building up, I think some good deals can be had very soon. Thanks for the kind words and I hope you find a motor to settle on soon!
      01-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #22
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewanmac View Post
27mpg is incredible for a car with this much power. It's not that long ago (ok 16 years ago when I think about it) that my first BMW, a basic 318ci with a 118bhp engine, delivered 29mpg!

The more and more I read about it, the more I want one!
Wow when you put it like that it does seem incredible, I wasn't joking about the F40 performance match either, I think its like for like in a straight line, I bet that Ferrari didn't rate at 34mpg official and get 50,000 miles servicing for £1000! Ok it was wayyyyy cooler but still times have moved cars on so much.