F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Door Panel Ambient Lights
Studio RSR

11-24-2022, 07:23 AM   #243
dansobolanu
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Suzy N57

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...d=vglWwXXFh2q4

anyone knows if the led module inside this is the same as in door's ? i mean if they are compatible for the price.....
      11-24-2022, 08:08 AM   #244
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Not even close.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2022, 08:38 AM   #245
dansobolanu
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Not even close.
thank you
there are many lamp led smd with board on aliexpress for 10€ a set of 4 for any car brand except BMW ....
      11-24-2022, 10:40 AM   #246
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's not just the LED you have to be concerned with, it's also the board that it's mounted on, which has to fit onto the clip that attaches the board to the tube. There are pictures of both further back in the thread, as well as notes on how the resistors on the board may be reduced in value for higher LED output.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 10:06 AM   #247
dansobolanu
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

just placed the order on benzinfabrik...i will make a video when they arrive !
found them here to with 2€: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...005202964.html but shipping is 40€ for me so not worth.....

this one orderd too: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...d=QS6BzgMMRRMG
      11-25-2022, 07:20 PM   #248
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Benzinfabrik.com a German company sells replacement ambient lighting LED modules (doors, footwell and radio trim) that are brighter than the OEM modules. I've done the swap on my car and others have as well they make good products. They offer OEM colors and blue etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 02:18 PM   #249
dansobolanu
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

DONE:

Thanks
Appreciate 2
      02-17-2023, 02:55 AM   #250
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Since yesterday my door trim light at passengers side has started to flicker and flashing partially. Hadn't try the white light to confirm a LED error but Im affraid that the module has to be replaced.
Anyone else encounters that after using them? Mine are now installed since Nov 20, whats a more shorter period of using for my taste.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 04:36 AM   #251
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Since yesterday my door trim light at passengers side has started to flicker and flashing partially. Hadn't try the white light to confirm a LED error but Im affraid that the module has to be replaced.
Anyone else encounters that after using them? Mine are now installed since Nov 20, whats a more shorter period of using for my taste.
That sucks sorry to hear that. I think you have their first batch of modules. They were brighter than new ones and apparently were sometimes burning out from heat so they updated the design/output. The new batches aren't supposed to have this problem.

No issues here so far at least. My new car has the modules from the new batches that I bought like 5/2022.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 04:31 PM   #252
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
That sucks sorry to hear that. I think you have their first batch of modules. They were brighter than new ones and apparently were sometimes burning out from heat so they updated the design/output. The new batches aren't supposed to have this problem.

No issues here so far at least. My new car has the modules from the new batches that I bought like 5/2022.
Thanks for your reply, it turned out meanwhile, that the white ones are ok, well, I don't use them but just the blue.
Will have a talk to Benzinfabrik, I think the LED is out of warranty and have to reorder a new one. Installation sux, but what to do instead of living with that. 30 minutes and its done.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 04:41 PM   #253
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, it turned out meanwhile, that the white ones are ok, well, I don't use them but just the blue.
Will have a talk to Benzinfabrik, I think the LED is out of warranty and have to reorder a new one. Installation sux, but what to do instead of living with that. 30 minutes and its done.
No prob. The modules from the new batches aren't as bright as the older ones but they're still much brighter than OEM. If it makes them last much longer it's worth the trade off imo.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 03:55 AM   #254
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
No prob. The modules from the new batches aren't as bright as the older ones but they're still much brighter than OEM. If it makes them last much longer it's worth the trade off imo.
Hm, should I consider to change both sides to not run into too bright v/s lower visible lights?

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2023, 05:09 AM   #255
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hm, should I consider to change both sides to not run into too bright v/s lower visible lights?
I'd recommend changing all the old modules with newer ones.
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12512.00
      02-21-2023, 09:30 AM   #256
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Agreed. Anyone with the orange/blue combo: Whats the primary color and what is sport? Default sport would be white and normal is orange.
Does that mean, that blue would be the new sport color? In that case I would order blue/white again. No intention to change all modules...

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 07:48 AM   #257
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Ordered a pair to replace both sides, the guys told me, that they changed the basic PCB board which is holding the LED's and got a design change to let the small heat of the board better disappear and not interfere the LED function.
Already on its way, got installed soon.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 08:17 PM   #258
WallaceK
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Garage List
2014 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob132 View Post
I recently bought a 2013 F32/435i coupe which still has the dim ambient LED lighting. In Australia, this model when fitted with the lighting package S563A had ambient lighting strips on the 2 doors, and also on the fixed panels adjacent to the rear seats, and that's what mine has. It does not have lighting around the central AC console. My wife's 218d F45 Active Tourer has a similar setup (without it being designated as a S563A package), but the strips are just the right brightness for ambient lighting. The LED modules fitted to her F45 are the same as fitted to later versions of the F32, namely with part number 63319353133, so that module is definitely capable of providing sufficient illumination.
However, if you look at the photos in Posts # 84 and # 184, you can see the later module has lower value resistors (the little rectangular black devices with their resistance code imprinted) in series with the two LED's - 2.32 kohm v 3.92 kohm for the Classic LED, and 1.58 kohm v 1.62 kohm for the Sports LED. It's not surprising that there's not much difference between the early and later modules. If the full DC battery voltage from the iDrive-controller is 12.6 volts, and this is applied to each LED through its corresponding series resistor (the current drawn by the LED's will range between about 3 and 8 milliamps (mA). This is way, way less than the current needed to achieve maximum LED brightness - typically 25 mA. So for those of you with steady hand, perfect eyesight, and the necessary soldering equipment, the two resistors should be replaced with 500 ohm devices - coded either 501 or 5000. In the modules supplied by BMW, the differing values of each resistor are intended to produce the same light output for each LED - each having slightly different lumens output for a given current flow. However, if the resistors are replaced with identically valued devices, any difference in brightness between Sports and Classic can be adjusted using the iDrive brightness control. By the way, the light from the LED's is coupled via their holder to the end of the plastic light tube which runs along the door or rear panels, and is transmitted along the tube by internal reflection and refraction.
I'll be ordering new modules from our dealer soon, and will check applied voltages and current flows, and make the above changes to the series resistors if necessary. I'll then post the results for any one who's interested, although this whole issue does seem to have gone "off the boil" recently.
Weirdly, my car came with 3320 ohms for the amber side and 1240 ohms for the white side. I've never used the "sport" version of the lights because I always felt that it was way too dim. After digging into the thread I decided to get some 620 ohms resistors and experiment with some soldering. At first I did only the amber side of the little board, but to my surprise, it was the white side that got brighter, whiile the amber side got dimmer. Still, I think I did something wrong, since the white light was flickering I decided to re-solder the 620 resistor and while I was there I also did the white side too, which now I believe is the amber side? (I got really confused by this).

Now the results are not what I expected. The white led is now WAAAAYY brighter, to the point that now I can see myself now using it sometimes (although I prefer amber lights). Speaking of which, the amber light now came back to life, but it looks just slightly brighter than the oem (which can be totally a placebo, since sometimes that I looked between my modified door and my oem door I could not see a difference). From what I remember, I still think that my cousin's 2015 320i has way brighter amber lights (he doesn't have the option for sport/white lights) than my 2014 model.

I'm really confused by how this circuit works, does anyone has any idea or explanation for this?

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 10:33 AM   #259
jpor
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i / F32

I have a BMW 420i f32.
I bought item B803818 at Benzinfabrik 1 month ago, but it only increased the brightness by around 30%.
I've already thought about adapting a Flex 2.0 (Ambient Modz) under the optical fiber, but it seems to me that in terms of design when there's no light, I won't like it.
I do not know what to do.
Appreciate 1