F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Weird Window Tinters??
Extreme Powerhouse

10-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Weird Window Tinters??

Ok, just checking if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

When Getting my windows tinted the other day, I was told I could not watch the Tinting while it's being done, because Customers Distracted the Tinters, and they in turn would not get things done quickly???
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Never heard that before. However, while getting my windows done a few weeks ago, I had my 6 year old with me so I didn't watch them the entire time. We were in the waiting room for a bit, went for walk, etc. They had no problem though the few times I popped in to check on their progress.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
brhon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post
Ok, just checking if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

When Getting my windows tinted the other day, I was told I could not watch the Tinting while it's being done, because Customers Distracted the Tinters, and they in turn would not get things done quickly???
You should be able to watch, my guy will not let me in his work area, get that but I would like to be closer.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I have done both. I have dropped off, and watched over the shoulder. My last visit I didn't watch, and I had the most impressive tint job ever.

At the end of the day, who cares? As long as they didn't screw up, why do you have to peek over their shoulder. I was just curious the one time that I did, since it was my second tint and he didn't have a waiting room.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: thisonetimeatbandcamp

I peeped in on my guy to check progress. I wasn't worried about the quality of the job as I was confident with his skills.

I work better when my boss isn't hawkin' me! I think a lot of people can say the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

I don't like people hovering over me when i work. They are probably the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
In AWD We Trust
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC xDrive

Garage List
My tinters kindly requested that I step out and do my own thing for a few hours. They wouldn't "kick me out" per se, but I thought I would like to learn something, but it does get distracting to them.

Not that they do things in a clandestine manner, but I agree it does bug some people when the customer's eyes are on them, and I respect that. Same with me if my boss is looking over my shoulder 100% of the time when I work.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
I have done both. I have dropped off, and watched over the shoulder. My last visit I didn't watch, and I had the most impressive tint job ever.

At the end of the day, who cares? As long as they didn't screw up, why do you have to peek over their shoulder. I was just curious the one time that I did, since it was my second tint and he didn't have a waiting room.
Actually have a lot of tiny air bubbles all over, and a large crease on the back glass. Also around five cuts on the inside of the glass, where there were none before, and a large cut in he glass in the back on the outside, where someone must have thought it a good idea to lay the tint on it and use it as a cutting board.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: thisonetimeatbandcamp

Quote:
Actually have a lot of tiny air bubbles all over, and a large crease on the back glass. Also around five cuts on the inside of the glass, where there were none before, and a large cut in he glass in the back on the outside, where someone must have thought it a good idea to lay the tint on it and use it as a cutting board.
That's unfortunate. Maybe a little more research could have prevented this. Was this a reputable shop?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:

Exactly as said above, but also, you drove the car home didn't you?

It's a business where you pay for the job at the end when it's completed, and you inspect the work before you drive off. I have never met a tinter that didn't fix his work. One replaced a front window tint in front of me because we noticed a small defect in the film before I drove off.

Everyone's different. From my last experience, they went above and beyond my expectations, and I wasn't present at all. Then again, they do all the tinting for a large BMW dealership, so they have to be good.

To prevent your last concern, ask if they use a plotter or not. In the 21st century these things can be cut before installation, with perfect fitment, no need for any cutting on the window itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Exactly as said above, but also, you drove the car home didn't you?

It's a business where you pay for the job at the end when it's completed, and you inspect the work before you drive off. I have never met a tinter that didn't fix his work. One replaced a front window tint in front of me because we noticed a small defect in the film before I drove off.

Everyone's different. From my last experience, they went above and beyond my expectations, and I wasn't present at all. Then again, they do all the tinting for a large BMW dealership, so they have to be good.

To prevent your last concern, ask if they use a plotter or not. In the 21st century these things can be cut before installation, with perfect fitment, no need for any cutting on the window itself.
I have the choice of Three people who do it here, I have tinted with this firm already, and they did an ok job before, and before I could at least watch.

All the bubbles were pointed out to them, and they said that those would go away in time. Did not see scratches because of lighting. The tint has a lifetime guarantee, so they could change it if I let them, but if they might make even more damage, so may just have to go elsewhere, to remove and retint. They said that they use a plotter, but from the looks of the edges, and the cut around the third stop lamp, they did not have the template for my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30luxline View Post
That's unfortunate. Maybe a little more research could have prevented this. Was this a reputable shop?
Had gone to them before, and only had choice of three people here.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

I am even wondering to myself if I should just live with it, because these guys here might still remove tint by the scraping method, instead of steaming etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #14
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

most people panic when tinters pull door panels out to get the tint behind it. Some do, some dont. I tinted for a company many moons ago and i did on some cars and didnt on others. the last thing i wanted was an owner standing over me saying why are you pulling my door panels apart or afterwards they complained how their sunroof doesnt open again since i pulled their door cards loose when the sunroof hadnt been opened for a decade and was already broken. people are very shallow at best and many times cause us way more work than is really necessary.
      10-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

The few times I've done work for others, my rules were as follows:

1. Drop the car off - $100
2. Stay and watch while I work - $150
3. Try to help - $200

Overzealous owners are a HUGE distraction while working. Insignificant things can happen along the way the people will freak out about because they don't understand exactly what you're doing. Professionals continue on and make sure everything is good when they're done. If they have to keep stopping because someone keeps interrupting them their time is wasted and often the quality of the work compromised.

The most important thing to do is INSPECT THE WORK before you leave.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
I don't like people hovering over me when i work. They are probably the same.
Agree! I don't think it's weird of them at all. I appreciate customers are concerned for their car, but it's never cool to hawk somebody while they are trying to work. Nicely let them know you have high standards, ok. Check the work when you leave, yes! That should be it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #17
zmanH2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320i AW

So do they have to remove the door panels in order to tint the windows?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
Agree! I don't think it's weird of them at all. I appreciate customers are concerned for their car, but it's never cool to hawk somebody while they are trying to work. Nicely let them know you have high standards, ok. Check the work when you leave, yes! That should be it.
I wish it was that simple here in Jamaica!!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #19
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanH2 View Post
You know I don't think they did, but who knows because of course they didn't allow me in the same room??

All I know one of the Guys were saying that the doors gave them a hard time because the rubber seals were sooo tight!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #20
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

One of the reservations of leaving the car as well, without even a question to me is that this is one of the only ones in the island, and not too many people are familiar with the systems, how to start properly, how to take off the parcel shelf properly etc, without causing damage, etc. Etc.

They weren't even familiar with the windows, and I believe that's what gave them a hard time as well, where they roll down and up slightly when opening and closing the doors.

Also, I don' see how I could have distracted them anymore, because they took over 4 hours to finish.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #21
zmanH2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanH2 View Post
Quote:
You know I don't think they did, but who knows because of course they didn't allow me in the same room??

All I know one of the Guys were saying that the doors gave them a hard time because the rubber seals were sooo tight!
Can anybody else confirm this?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #22
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

It is quite standard to remove door panels when installing tints. I know that the cars that I've brought in have had their panels removed. This ensures that the tint is in place and not just tucked in with a card or something.
Appreciate 0