F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > How to Split Screen Entertainment Info and Navigation
ARMA SPEED

11-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Thumbs up How to Split Screen Entertainment Info and Navigation

I saw a couple of others confused about this as well, so I wanted to describe my discovery this morning for those that were as frustrated as me in trying to "see" their music content (ipod/XM/iphone).

Set your primary screen as Navigation/Trip Info/Whatever.

Right Click iDrive->Split Screen->Split Screen Content->Scroll down to Entertainment Information (voila!)

The system, apparently, won't be able to show entertainment information in the left side of the split screen, only the right, so GO FIGURE, at least I can have my navigation run on the left and see my XM channel info/Ipod music info on the right.

Hope this helps!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Or you can set the right part of the screen to "Arrow" and then click Media so you have a large area for the media information on the left and the really nice directions in the right part (those instructions are often enough, especially with voice). I have it set like this most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
Or you can set the right part of the screen to "Arrow" and then click Media so you have a large area for the media information on the left and the really nice directions in the right part (those instructions are often enough, especially with voice). I have it set like this most of the time.
When doing that, I haven't been able to see XM/Sirius Info under Presets, and under the iPod portion, I only see the Art Cover of the album.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Might be true. We don't have Sirius in Sweden.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
I set my 8th (far right) programmable button to turn the split screen on and off. Very handy for quickly showing and hiding the right panel, especially when you are in media mode in the main display and don't want to see the same info in two panels.
      11-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Alastair
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport Tourer

On a related topic, does anyone know how to hide the menus and/or 're-dock' the function buttons to the left of the screen? I've only just taken delivery of an F31 with the professional navigation package. I know that on at least one of the map views, the "function bar" can and does move over to the extreme left to maximise the map. But I can't control when it does (or does not) do this trick. For example, when I initially go into the default map display the function bar is docked fully to the left. But click on a control button, for example to select one or other of the optional map views and the visible map shrinks to accomodate the fuction bar that has moved over towards the right (but still left of centre) and the selector menu gizmo. One the new selecton is complete no amount of clicking, selecting options or even swearing at the screen will move the control back to the extreme left. Having said that, it does sometime go back eventually but I have no idea what the trigger was and certainly I can't replicate it. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i modern line

Alastair, I get what you're saying and I don't have an answer for you... But I wanted to offer (in the event you weren't aware) that the 8 buttons in the center console are programmable by putting whatever function you want on the iDrive screen and then holding one of the programmable buttons.

I'm finding all kinds of uses for these buttons, especially as a way to get me "back where I was". I've stored a map view that allows me to just get back to zero when I get stuck in some wonky screenage.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
Alastair
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.cash View Post
I've stored a map view that allows me to just get back to zero when I get stuck in some wonky screenage.
So it's not just me
Looks like the developer forgot to add this functionality to the user interface. But I will do as you suggest and add it as a shortcut on the programable buttons. Eight buttons? One down, seven to go!
Thanks ... Alastair
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
On a related topic, does anyone know how to hide the menus and/or 're-dock' the function buttons to the left of the screen? I've only just taken delivery of an F31 with the professional navigation package. I know that on at least one of the map views, the "function bar" can and does move over to the extreme left to maximise the map. But I can't control when it does (or does not) do this trick. For example, when I initially go into the default map display the function bar is docked fully to the left. But click on a control button, for example to select one or other of the optional map views and the visible map shrinks to accomodate the fuction bar that has moved over towards the right (but still left of centre) and the selector menu gizmo. One the new selecton is complete no amount of clicking, selecting options or even swearing at the screen will move the control back to the extreme left. Having said that, it does sometime go back eventually but I have no idea what the trigger was and certainly I can't replicate it. Any ideas?
You move the iDrive controller to the right, to the 3:00 position (not spin clockwise, push right till you feel the click). That enlarges the map view and tucks the function bar back flush left.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Alastair, I get what you're saying and I don't have an answer for you... But I wanted to offer (in the event you weren't aware) that the 8 buttons in the center console are programmable by putting whatever function you want on the iDrive screen and then holding one of the programmable buttons.

I'm finding all kinds of uses for these buttons, especially as a way to get me "back where I was". I've stored a map view that allows me to just get back to zero when I get stuck in some wonky screenage.
See above. The iDrive controller has three motions, seems you aren't aware of one of them:

1. Spin: Clockwise or counter-clockwise.

2. Down Push: Thumb in center, straight downwards.

3. Side Push: Thumb on side of knob, push laterally, north/south/east/west.

To close the nav sidebar (as well as many other things where you see a side arrow symbol on the screen) you do a #3 heading east.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i modern line

Ha, thanks James, but if I was still unaware of the left/right push of the iDrive, I'd be a sad case!!

I was just inside for the night and didn't want to go out to the car to recreate Alastair's scenario... but I did want to mention the memory buttons since they're so useful.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Alastair
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames
Quote:

See above. The iDrive controller has three motions, seems you aren't aware of one of them:

To close the nav sidebar (as well as many other things where you see a side arrow symbol on the screen) you do a #3 heading east.

BJ
Guys, Thanks for the input.
I was aware of the three modes on the controller I'm an IT consultant so well versed in how to use a mouse , albeit one with a slightly different shape and a lot more expensive
But I think I have worked out where I was going astray. The push to the right (3 o'clock position) was taking me to the right hand split screen, so I'm assuming the same command to maximise the map only works when you are not also using the split screen. Unfortunately I can't check my own theory as I'm on a business trip this week and 1000 miles away from the car.
Once again, thanks for the help.
Regards ... Alastair
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

BJ
So if I want to memorize a button to toggle Split Screen, all I have to do is have iDrive open and highlighted on that choice in the menu?
      11-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
So if I want to memorize a button to toggle Split Screen, all I have to do is have iDrive open and highlighted on that choice in the menu?
Yes, you are basically remembering a PUSH action on the currently selected item.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
Guys, Thanks for the input.
I was aware of the three modes on the controller I'm an IT consultant so well versed in how to use a mouse , albeit one with a slightly different shape and a lot more expensive
But I think I have worked out where I was going astray. The push to the right (3 o'clock position) was taking me to the right hand split screen, so I'm assuming the same command to maximise the map only works when you are not also using the split screen. Unfortunately I can't check my own theory as I'm on a business trip this week and 1000 miles away from the car.
Once again, thanks for the help.
Regards ... Alastair
If I remember correctly, it will work even with the split screen open, it just adds another 'level' to the left/right toggling.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Yes. In fact I dedicate three of my 1-8 buttons to split screening: Full-screen, split screen for nav, split screen for entertainment details.

There's a really good way to set your radio presets so that you never have to scroll into the radio options too. Ask me nicely and I'll tell you.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Yes. In fact I dedicate three of my 1-8 buttons to split screening: Full-screen, split screen for nav, split screen for entertainment details.

There's a really good way to set your radio presets so that you never have to scroll into the radio options too. Ask me nicely and I'll tell you.

BJ
Please please pretty please?

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Please please pretty please?
Since you asked nicely.

Go into radio Presets and set your favorite 20 to 40 radio stations. Remember, it can be a mix from AM, FM, Sirius, HD radio.

Next, hover the iDrive cursor focus on the Presets list to the single radio station that is your absolute favorite, the one that you listen to most. Press and hold a single 1-8 button to lock in that one single favorite radio station to a single button.

Next, slide the iDrive controller to the left to hide the Presets list but leave the cursor focus on the word Presets.

Lastly, bring up the navigation screen which is what I'm guessing you leave up 90% of the time.

From this point forward, all you need to do is hit the single shortcut button on the dash and that will bring up your favorite radio station and populate the HUD info with the mixed list of radio station Presets from all the bands. Scroll through that list on the HUD, select a station and you never have to drill down through the radio menu ever again.

The key here is to select your favorite station from the Presets list itself. That's what brings out the Presets list on the HUD. You now have seven additional buttons that are open that do not need to be reserved for radio stations.

BJ
Appreciate 0