F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Active cruise or Surround view
ARMA SPEED

12-16-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Active cruise or Surround view

Hi guys

I have been toying with the idea of adding another option(s).

Either ACC or surround view. I imagine it depends on my needs I already have reverse camera but maybe the top view camera might help those diamond cut alloys. Or would my folding mirrors and coding in door handle LEDs suffice.

I haven't seen too many comments on ACC here in relation to the collision detection. To be honest my daily commute would only be 8 miles on busy a roads and I cycle most days ACC might be useful on any euro trips but the safety of autobreaking sounds great!

Or maybe I don't need either as I have quite a few options. But I want more toys I might add speed limit as well but if it delays the car I won't bother

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I've specced ACC as spend a lot of times on a stop start commute including M25. Don't have the car yet so can't tell you how good it is yet!

We looked at surround view too but felt that the reverse camera would be fine on it's own. I've heard the cameras are a bit useless in winter as they get dirty after a few miles.

I guess it depends on your needs. If you want a funky toy for the sake of it, everyone seems to love the HUD! Or the electric towbar, for it's now you see it, now you don't party trick!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
Fazerfahrer
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 330d touring F31, Z4 35is E89

Garage List
Hello,

we have choosen both options in our F31 330d touring.

If I have to measure them into must have and nice to have I would go for the AAC as must have. As we are living in the "outback" of bavaria we have to go very often main roads and motorways and even with no speed limit on german motorways it is nice to use the AAC i.e. with a speed of 100 miles to swim in the traffic ;-)
      12-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Fortunate to have both and love them both to bits.

Firstly AAC. It's not perfect but God does it make tedious journeys bearable. You'll need to work out which setting distances work best a different speeds. I find when travelling at 80ish, I always have the setting on minimum distance - by no means does this mean you tailgate people. As you approach someone, you'll see the car sign appear (great if you have HUD) - that's the point to move into faster lane or the car will start braking. You quickly get into working with it. So it's great for relaxing driving and if someone does clog up the lane in front, car will slow down. When the car moves over, the AAC can take a moment longer than you would to accelerate. Not a problem, just touch the accelerator to 'encourage it to get back up to speed quicker' if you want. It's pretty clever - if you're waiting for a car to pass in outside lane before pulling out, it will let you enter the lane behind that passing car much closer without the system panicing as it knows that car is travelling faster than you. This is really useful as people often these days don't read the road and box you in.

It's also incredible in stop start traffic. Then I set the distance at 2 or 3 as it's less abrupt. If you come to a halt, the system will flash meaning you need tap the accelerator to confirm you want the car to move again. Sitting in tailbacks is SO much less hassle now.

The bad points are really not its fault - in medium traffic, it can be a pain as people are constantly cutting in front of you. It's pretty good at not panic braking but it can't see several cars in front like you can so can't predict when things are going to happen.

Lastly I don't like sitting in outside lane when middle is empty BUT the system will only work on what's in the lane in front so if the chap in outside lane is going slower than your setting, you'll just undertake him!! Would love it to register what was in the lane to the right!

Surround view is one of those luxuries that you get used to very quickly. It has so far ensured that the 19's remained ding free up to changing over to winters. I coded my door lights to come on in reverse - this gives you a pool of light so you can see kerbs in the dark. Parking in car parks is just so easy - you find there's a new sport in ensuring you are absolutely perfectly parked relative to the lines
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Surround view is one of those luxuries that you get used to very quickly.

- you find there's a new sport in ensuring you are absolutely perfectly parked relative to the lines
Absolutely, I play that game as well.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
Fazerfahrer
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 330d touring F31, Z4 35is E89

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Absolutely, I play that game as well.

HighlandPete
Fully agree
      12-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #7
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys very helpful.
I might add them if I go for the 4 year pcp instead of 3.
Any comments on the collision avoidance ie if you are not using ACC does the car brake and stop in an emergency. Some research and the US manual imply this is standard? Or a basic version at least. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
I have been toying with the idea of adding another option(s).

Either ACC or surround view.
No argument, ACC.

Here's a description I wrote on the weekend in the Australian forum. It's long, but ...

As a lot of you know, my new 335i is pretty loaded. Tonight, I want to talk about HUD (Head Up Display) in conjunction with ACC (Advanced Cruise Control), DAP (Driver Assistance Pack/Package), Pro Nav, Mobile Phone, Siri and Entertainment.

So, as I said in another post, I drove some 110km today, down the length of the freeway and had 'a play'. This will be a long post.

I turned on ACC, set it to 80km/h just before I joined the conga line going thru the CBD and tried it out, with my right foot hovering over the brake. So, 80 comes up in green in the HUD on the LHS, above my actual speed, which is in white. On the RHS of the display are the NAV directions and distance to travel, in white, but the lane / intersection info is in amber which gets priority when your around 500m away. In the centre is the ACC symbol, which shows a lane diagram, with a car at the top when the radar sees one, or it's empty when there isn't one detected. This is where you also see the separation distance bars. You use the two buttons on the RH steering wheel to increase or decrease the separation distance. I had it set on 2 or 3.

When a car is detected that's doing less than your set max speed, the system slows you down and the set max speed is shown in green. You will be slowed right down to a stop, if necessary. Do NOT touch the brakes, or you cancel ACC.

If you stop for more than 2s, the ACC goes into pause mode, the green set speed goes off and the vehicle won't automatically restart moving. When the car in front starts moving, the horizontal separation bars start flashing, that's when you tap the accelerator to reinstate the set speed, the green set speed comes on and off you go, all the time maintaining the separation set. It may be 5km/h, 20km/h, or all the way up to your set speed.

If you stop for less than 2s or don't actually get to 0km/h, the car will automatically re accelerate again.

Now, if you hit the Telephone button on the steering wheel, your last calls come up, replacing the Nav info temporarily, in colour. You scroll through using the RH scroll wheel and press in to dial. If a call comes in, you see the caller and can answer or divert using same controls.

If you just use the scroll wheel, you'll see entertainment come up instead, iPod, radio, CD - whichever you have selected. You can select the next RANDOM track (yes, it is random order) you want to hear etc.

If you press the mic button briefly, you get bmw voice commands, with prompts on the HUD. If you press and hold, you get Siri (if you have an iPhone and MY14). Seems to work better than initiating via the long home button press method.

This is all just so seamless, it's like flying a bloody fighter jet. All the time, your eyes are up and looking ahead of you, not at the Nav screen, or down at the instrument panel. It is simply A W E S O M E. Can't recommend enough.

I am in IT, have been for many years and it takes a bit to wow me, but this does. It has been implemented REALLY well, was intuitive and easy to use. I will say though, my foot was hovering over the brake for a LONG time before I began to trust it.

At one point, I was doing 100km/h and the traffic slowed suddenly ahead. A double beep went off, a red flashing icon went off and I think I hit the brakes instinctively. That was, I believe, the forward collision alert firing.

I had a couple of cars jump into the gap (which was about the same as I normally drive), I was worried the system would panic stop, but it seems to calculate the relative speed and just slows you down as necessary.

Sorry for the long post. I hope it's interested someone. I WILL work out how to mount my GoPro so that it can see the HUD (it has a narrow field of view) and take some video to share. After all, a video would say it far better!
      12-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

I also agree with GTSUSSEX. I have both and wouldn't be without either of them.
      12-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

great info thanks again, this forum will bankrupt me

any views on below:

Any comments on the collision avoidance ie if you are not using ACC does the car brake and stop in an emergency. Some research and the US manual imply this is standard? Or a basic version at least. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
great info thanks again, this forum will bankrupt me

any views on below:

I have had two occasions when my car has braked by itself without ACC being on. Both times it was when I was going round a roundabout and I guess the car sensed the car next to me and thought it was in front off me. It really gets your attention when this happen I can tell you that!
      12-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Cow Pat View Post
I have had two occasions when my car has braked by itself without ACC being on. Both times it was when I was going round a roundabout and I guess the car sensed the car next to me and thought it was in front off me. It really gets your attention when this happen I can tell you that!
Thanks would it take you to a stop if needed? Did you get any dash warnings?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I think what bugs me about ACC is that the list price of £620 includes 6WA black panel display. I already have 6WA via Pro Media - but it still adds £620 to the total cost...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Thanks would it take you to a stop if needed? Did you get any dash warnings?
I don't know about whether it would bring you to a stop, as I just steered away from the car and carried on.

The warning that I got was a red car illuminates on the central black panel plus an irritating tone (to wake you up).
      12-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
I don't know about whether it would bring you to a stop, as I just steered away from the car and carried on.

The warning that I got was a red car illuminates on the central black panel plus an irritating tone (to wake you up).
No it doesn't stop you when on collision detect only, just pre charges the brakes and lightly applies them if you don't a few meters before a crash.

In ACC then yes it does stop....even ASS's off and with a quick prod of the throttle pedal (in case you've fallen asleep presumably) it accelerates back up to cruise. Don't try go round roundabouts in ACC, very unpredictable.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
mactrack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240iX

I've got surround-view on my F30 and ACC came as standard on my parent's MK7 Golf. Whilst is ACC is nice, it's not perfect, however surround-view is without doubt the best feature on any car I've ever had. Also I find that I'm not even using normal cruise control in my 330d as it's so much nicer to use the throttle. I would also guess that forgoing using the throttle in a 335d even more unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #17
vikz55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i M-Sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Fortunate to have both and love them both to bits.

Firstly AAC. It's not perfect but God does it make tedious journeys bearable. You'll need to work out which setting distances work best a different speeds. I find when travelling at 80ish, I always have the setting on minimum distance - by no means does this mean you tailgate people. As you approach someone, you'll see the car sign appear (great if you have HUD) - that's the point to move into faster lane or the car will start braking. You quickly get into working with it. So it's great for relaxing driving and if someone does clog up the lane in front, car will slow down. When the car moves over, the AAC can take a moment longer than you would to accelerate. Not a problem, just touch the accelerator to 'encourage it to get back up to speed quicker' if you want. It's pretty clever - if you're waiting for a car to pass in outside lane before pulling out, it will let you enter the lane behind that passing car much closer without the system panicing as it knows that car is travelling faster than you. This is really useful as people often these days don't read the road and box you in.

It's also incredible in stop start traffic. Then I set the distance at 2 or 3 as it's less abrupt. If you come to a halt, the system will flash meaning you need tap the accelerator to confirm you want the car to move again. Sitting in tailbacks is SO much less hassle now.

The bad points are really not its fault - in medium traffic, it can be a pain as people are constantly cutting in front of you. It's pretty good at not panic braking but it can't see several cars in front like you can so can't predict when things are going to happen.

Lastly I don't like sitting in outside lane when middle is empty BUT the system will only work on what's in the lane in front so if the chap in outside lane is going slower than your setting, you'll just undertake him!! Would love it to register what was in the lane to the right!

Surround view is one of those luxuries that you get used to very quickly. It has so far ensured that the 19's remained ding free up to changing over to winters. I coded my door lights to come on in reverse - this gives you a pool of light so you can see kerbs in the dark. Parking in car parks is just so easy - you find there's a new sport in ensuring you are absolutely perfectly parked relative to the lines
I was told by my dealer that the ACC doesn't work in non-motorway stop/start traffic - can you set it at speeds under 30mph for crawling traffic?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #18
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz55 View Post
I was told by my dealer that the ACC doesn't work in non-motorway stop/start traffic - can you set it at speeds under 30mph for crawling traffic?
How does the system know you're not on a motorway?

I've had mine working at 20mph going round Richmond Park. I was much less stressful than keep looking out for speed cameras.
      12-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #19
vikz55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i M-Sport Convertible

Quote:
How does the system know you're not on a motorway?

I've had mine working at 20mph going round Richmond Park. I was much less stressful than keep looking out for speed cameras.
Well I can't remember what he said exactly, but he mentioned a minimum speed that you can activate it at. Is this not the case?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz55 View Post
Well I can't remember what he said exactly, but he mentioned a minimum speed that you can activate it at. Is this not the case?
Standard CC has a minumum speed but Active Cruise control has "Stop and go" functionality... which, unsurprisingly, means you can stop and go!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #21
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Standard CC has a minumum speed but Active Cruise control has "Stop and go" functionality... which, unsurprisingly, means you can stop and go!

I might be wrong but I think it does only accept a cruise speed of 20mph(this needs checking it could be 30???). So you can't set it for a 5mph limit for example, even though it will bring the car down to zero when needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #22
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I've got ACC and never use it. Don't have any cameras on the car as I don't see the need for such silly toys.