F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW interior quality vs the competition
GetBMWParts

02-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #23
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1123 View Post
Why was it ever even decided that the shifter will go between the driver and the infotainment knob? That seems like miserable positioning. I like the look of the bottom photo though, pretty clean looking.

I think BMW's current interior strength is how well organized it is. There are distinct areas for driving controls, infotainment and heating and they're spaced out pretty well which makes it look uncluttered.
Agreed. But, surprisingly the positioning with the automatic shifter works. That's because of the low position and the wide, flat "handle". It acts as a "wrist rest".
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #24
AstonKarim
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback

Judging by pictures I've seen on the forum, people who opted for full merino leather, leather dashboard, and individual trim mitigate this quality issue in my opinion. I wish I had done this, these subtle changes make a huge difference, albeit at a substantial cost.

SOLD 2013 BMW 335i M Sport Xdrive / MPPK / MPE / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / M Sport Brake / 19"Style 403m / M Perf Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #25
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by __ View Post
The new, B9 A4. I was impressed. I didn't particularly expect to be.

I didn't think the dash looked very good in photos. In person it looks really good. Its infotainment screen doesn't look at good as BMW's, but it is miles better than the stuck on C Class. And it is canted toward the driver. From the photos I thought the placement of the MMI controller and the gear selector was really screwed up. In reality it works just fine. The way the shifter is designed it creates a hand rest for the controller. However, the positioning would not work with a manual transmission. Unless they're going to stop selling manuals in Europe, they're going to have to change something. The seating leather has small perforations that I like. In fact, I can't see any reason BMW couldn't do the same with the Dakota leather it now uses and I think they should, asap, without waiting for the G20.

I checked the hard plastic in particular. The lower half of the dash is hard plastic. On the F3x the only part of the dash that is hard plastic is that small panel just under the climate controls. Even the glove box door is padded on the F3x. The lower part of the door on the A4 is covered in a really thin vinyl. It's so thin it took me a long time to be sure it wasn't just hard plastic. The lower part of the door on the F3x is lightly padded, but it is not difficult to tell when touched. The lower half of the console is all hard plastic. This is the only part of the F3x that is hard plastic. The visors are clad in vinyl, just like in the F3x. The trim design on the top of the console is almost straight out of the F3x.

It has a temporary spare, but it is in a very deep well, so it doesn't reduce trunk space.

There is a very sharp crease/character line right at the belt line that runs the length of the car. It looks really good. It creates an interesting visual effect.

Overall I like the B9 A4 a lot. I think it's a stronger competitor to the F3x than the B8 model.

Edit - looks like they do switch the positioning around.

To be honest, I really like the Audi interior compared to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 03:09 PM   #26
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonKarim View Post
Judging by pictures I've seen on the forum, people who opted for full merino leather, leather dashboard, and individual trim mitigate this quality issue in my opinion. I wish I had done this, these subtle changes make a huge difference, albeit at a substantial cost.
True. Unfortunately, for U.S. buyers those things are not offered as normal options and it's difficult (sometimes impossible) and costly to get them. The leather dash can be had without too much difficulty and it looks fantastic!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #27
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
To be honest, I really like the Audi interior compared to BMW.
I have a feeling the G20 will get elements of the G12 7er and G30 5er.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #28
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by __
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonKarim View Post
True. Unfortunately, for U.S. buyers those things are not offered as normal options and it's difficult (sometimes impossible) and costly to get them. The leather dash can be had without too much difficulty and it looks fantastic!!
Agreed. I ordered it when it was offered on the F31 before they removed it. Definitely worth the roughly $1k, as it's the same merino leather as the M steering wheel. Elevates the interior, even without the contrast stitching.

Some pics of mine:
https://flickr.com/photos/92687979@N...57662442124085

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2016, 04:21 PM   #29
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

It's a well trodden theme and I dare say I'm repeating what has been said before. I didn't buy my BMWs for the interiors, past or present. I bought them because they were and are the most enjoyable cars to drive at a price I can afford. I've owned Audis and MBs and they have had their strengths but the ones Ive owned weren't engineered for driving thrills. They got you from from A to B with the minimum of fuss - and with the minimum of engagement too. BMW has softened its approach in recent years - the E61 was the best Beemer I've owned - but has still managed to stay ahead of the competition in terms of driver appeal. Ive test driven the competition from time to time over the years and have never felt that BMWs USP has been truly threatened.

Can't comment on Jaguar however other than to say that I've never liked what they've produced in the past ten years enough to even bother with a test drive - and I'm a Brit!
      02-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #30
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
My only real complain in the interior is the "wood" trim pieces.
Why?

You don't have to put the word "wood" in parenthesis.
BMW uses real wood on the wood pieces, just like the use real metal on metal pieces. If an item is plastic painted to look like metal or work, then BMW states that it's painted.

I decided to go with the ash grain w/pearl. It's a very nice wood and nice looking grain. It would have been more functional if they offered it in a low gloss or matte "oiled" finished instead of the shinier coating it does have.
The shiny coating is easily scratched even with a light cloth, and it shows up mostly on the flat area on the center console where the gear lever and idrive knob area. An oiled matte finish would looked really cool all around, for the wood.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #31
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
My only real complain in the interior is the "wood" trim pieces.
Why?

BMW uses real wood on the wood pieces, just like the use real metal on metal pieces. If an item is plastic painted to look like metal or work, then BMW states that it's painted.

I decided to go with the ash grain w/pearl. It's a very nice wood and nice looking grain. It would have been more functional if they offered it in a low gloss or matte "oiled" finished instead of the shinier coating it does have.
The shiny coating is easily scratched even with a light cloth, and it shows up mostly on the flat area on the center console where the gear lever and idrive knob area. An oiled matte finish would looked really cool all around, for the wood.
I need to edit that post. I meant gloss black trim. But yes, I would prefer a flat finish
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #32
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

I too have always liked the classy, high quality simple interiors BMW has obsessed over in comparison to the busy versions of many of their luxury competitors. At the auto show recently, I was a bit overwhelmed by all of the activity in the current Audi and Mercedes.

My only BMW complaint is that the newer gauge cluster with matte finish and lack of detail looks cheap compared to previous designs.

I can't understand the use of gloss black. The C class was covered in it. I am a neat freak and it would drive me crazy. Although the gloss wood in my BMWs does require wiping, I have never had problems with scratches, and one used BMW I bought with scratches on the wood finish was easily buffed off.

I also can't figure why everyone seems to think the automatic transmission selector is somehow better on the center console. I though paddle shifters would allow manufacturers to move the P,D,R N selector to a more useful position. You only interact with the selector when you start off, or are getting out. Why do you want it located in the most functional area where you could have more storage, places to keep stuff you actually use while driving.

That being said, the new Audi interior earlier in this thread is certainly nicer, but still a bit busy.

Last edited by metallicpea; 02-22-2016 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #33
metallicpea
Major
Rep

spuntyb,
That leather dash is beautiful.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #34
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Call me the minority but I LOVE the interior in BMW's.

I know Audi gets a lot of praise for having wonderful interiors and I've driven an A6 and S4 and while their interiors are very nice, I just prefer the simplicity of BMW interiors. There's just not much going on there, add in the red accent lighting inside is a nice touch.

It's clean, functional and doesn't overwhelm me.
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #35
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilim View Post
Honestly I think it's been beaten to death about how the F3x interiors do not measure up to the current C class and upcoming A4 interiors.

It shouldn't. The F3x came out in 2011, the W205 C-class came out in 2014, and B9 A4 in 2015. Consider what the F3x was up against back in 2011:

W204

B8

F30:

Personally, I think the F30 interior has aged fairly well (enough that I chose it over the competition because like some have said already, I actually prefer the functional get elegant design here over the overly fancy interior in the W205), and in those first few years before the W205 came out I don't think anybody was complaining about the F30's interior, just like nobody is complaining about the new Merc and Audi's designs right now. In a few years when the G20 comes out it'll be the same thing all over again. Take your pick and just be happy with it.
Good post.

I also point out in these threads that the automotive press doesn't seem to take issue with the F3X interior. Not that we need to think the same way they do, at all, but in a car they mostly call mediocre, they generally do not call out the interior as being anything other than premium. I think mostly the quality of the materials is fully on par with the segment, but the design is somewhat austere, and that turns some people off at the price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Why?

You're right about the wood, but those are quotation marks. These - () - are parenthesis.
      02-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #36
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

I'm a bit at sea reading the complaints, in this thread and others, about the BMW F30 interior not being lux enough.
My 2016 340i has a very pleasing interior. I like it, it's comfortable and IMO well put together.
In addition, BMW actually gives you a choice of 4 wood finishes, and a bunch of interior colors, both in SensiTec and leather. In fact, they'll actually give you a COMPLETE beige interior, carpets and all. Most others give you seats in a black interior. I got the beige ( Venetian) leather and I just love it.
I guess some folks won't be happy until BMW puts a Rolls-Royce interior in a rocket sled.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #37
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Quote:
Honestly I think it's been beaten to death about how the F3x interiors do not measure up to the current C class and upcoming A4 interiors.

It shouldn't. The F3x came out in 2011, the W205 C-class came out in 2014, and B9 A4 in 2015. Consider what the F3x was up against back in 2011:

W204

B8

F30:

Personally, I think the F30 interior has aged fairly well (enough that I chose it over the competition because like some have said already, I actually prefer the functional get elegant design here over the overly fancy interior in the W205), and in those first few years before the W205 came out I don't think anybody was complaining about the F30's interior, just like nobody is complaining about the new Merc and Audi's designs right now. In a few years when the G20 comes out it'll be the same thing all over again. Take your pick and just be happy with it.
Problem with driving a car with a Mercedes interior is that it is propelled via a Mercedes transmission. The Audi is nice, I really like the switch from physical dials to a screen, I have played around with the system in a TT and it is really good. Being in the market for a wagon, I looked at the allroad, however found the exterior styling, not to my taste.

As Emilim succinctly points out, the F30 interior is the oldest of the bunch, personally, I am not a big fan of chrome and enjoy the understated design of the F30, I think it has held up well.

I think when you look at the photos of the interiors, the F30 does not look 3 - 4 years old, however the others do.

I will say however that it seemed to me that the the E90 generation interior seemed to be relatively better quality in it's time. A number of factors can contribute to this. I think the biggest one is that things in memory are often remembered better than they actually were. All manufacturers, especially German manufacturers have increased the recycleability of the components used in manufacturing their products, as well as cutting weight wherever possible ton increase fuel efficiency. Lighter materials sometimes feel cheap, or flimsy.

I drove the allroad before deciding on the F31, and while not a bad car, it was not as sporty feeling as the F31. The electronics in the BMW are better than the Audi and not something Mercedes is exactly known for.

Overall, for me, the F31 was the best package for me.

B.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #38
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

Quote:
The counter-argument is that BMW had a chance to catch up to their rivals with the LCI, and added a little chrome surround on the vents, a lid for the cupholder, changed the color of some stitching on certain leathers, and changed the color of the temperature in the climate display. That's it.

The 3-series has never been a benchmark of interior design/quality relative to its competition, but I don't think this bothers BMW. They've apparently done the cost/benefit analysis.

Last edited by the_phew; 02-23-2016 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #39
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea
spuntyb,
That leather dash is beautiful.
Thanks! I know some other folks were able to get it for their cars as well, before they pulled the option. It's a shame it's hard to get now (the last I checked). It should really just be a standard option. Well worth the $ imho.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #40
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
I also can't figure why everyone seems to think the automatic transmission selector is somehow better on the center console. I though paddle shifters would allow manufacturers to move the P,D,R N selector to a more useful position. You only interact with the selector when you start off, or are getting out. Why do you want it located in the most functional area where you could have more storage, places to keep stuff you actually use while driving.
Please no. Keep it where it is. I drove the Tesla and I felt like I was in a mini-van whenever I touch that gear lever.

Speaking of Tesla, the giant iPad is a let down for me. With that size of screen, innovation and technology. I'd expect it works like an iPad. Smooth and beautiful. But in reality it was lagging, sluggish, interact like the 2000s Windows Tablet.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #41
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

no don't move the shift stick!! I don't care if its auto lol my hand has being resting there for years
      02-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #42
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post
The counter-argument is that BMW had a chance to catch up to their rivals with the LCI.....
The LCI is a mid-cycle refresh, not a redesign. That's all it has ever been. I'll say with a high degree of confidence BMW isn't going to change now. Their competitors do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #43
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

The new audi interior with virtual cockpit and temp gauge on the vent themselves is absolutely gorgeous. Its not like the audi interior of yesteryears where it looked like a vw inside. Also their seats are way more confortable than bmws. Having said that i think bmw has the layout right. Its mich more intuitive and ergonomical than the audi or merc and i keep coming back to bmw and their ease of use. Maybe put some less plastic and more leather and itll be better than audi and merc.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #44
metallicpea
Major
Rep

So a gear selector shaped like and in the position of a real stick shift makes it seems sporty?

It's too far forward to rest your hand on it, that's what the arm rest is for.

It just takes up space. Clearly people like it, as it still sits there in the way all the time. I just don't get how resembling sporty, makes it sporty.
Appreciate 0