F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
Heel & Toe Apparel

12-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #23
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet

Garage List
By the way, this NBT unit has the Sirrius XM sticker on it and it also has the pink FAKRA connection for the Sat Radio antenna. Maybe all Euro and NA NBT head units have Sirrius XP integrated.

My NBT has FM1 and FM2 connections and my CIC was able to do this with just one antenna connector. I think I might just buy the FSC code for the satellite radio for the donor vehicle and just use that on the NBT for radio.

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 12-09-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #24
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

A UK one wouldn't. The UK NBT is a DAB unit to match the UK radio standard. Think the Euro ones are just FM only from what one of the eBay sellers told me.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #25
steve@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
A UK one wouldn't. The UK NBT is a DAB unit to match the UK radio standard. Think the Euro ones are just FM only from what one of the eBay sellers told me.
That would explain why AM won't show up on any of my menus. FM totally doesn't work since I have two antenna ports instead if the one on my CIC.

It's kind of weird how I have the pink antenna port and all the stickers for the XM radio though.

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 12-09-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #26
yungming
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
The USB Pinout was the same? Coming from CIC, it has to be rewired as the Pinout on the NBT Head Unit for USB Connection is different.
If you are coming from CIC or CHAMP2 with 6NS combox, then the USB pinout is the same, if you are having 6NK or 6NL, then the USB pinout will be different
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #27
steve@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungming View Post
If you are coming from CIC or CHAMP2 with 6NS combox, then the USB pinout is the same, if you are having 6NK or 6NL, then the USB pinout will be different
Hmm, I'm coming from CIC with 6NH factory but coded to 6NK but my beige wire fits into the NBT 100% just that it is routed to the glovebox USB.

Are you able to use your armrest USB and glove box USB port interchangably with that same beige cable?

Before touching the pinouts, I'm going to try and connect my armrest usb plate to the glovebox usb and see if it works with that beige cable.

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 12-09-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

updated, usb and stereo bluetooth working!

USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(416)833-4921 (9:00am - 7:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
Competitive pricing on Enhanced Bluetooth, Sirius XM, Backup Cameras as well as NBT and NBT EVO Retrofits
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #29
yungming
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post

Hi

So you re-reoute the cables from the combox at the trunk to the NBT?

Or you use another option?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #30
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungming
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post

Hi

So you re-reoute the cables from the combox at the trunk to the NBT?

Or you use another option?

Thanks
Yea. we took the cable from the combox in the trunk. followed it back to the armrest and dragged it to the front
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(416)833-4921 (9:00am - 7:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
Competitive pricing on Enhanced Bluetooth, Sirius XM, Backup Cameras as well as NBT and NBT EVO Retrofits
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #31
steve@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Right now, this is what we have currently working

Navigation (Still on European means but will change to NA soon)
BMW Apps 6NR
USB media
Bluetooth Audio
Mobile Office

The following requires more rewiring which I'm questioning whether I should do it or not

Voice control (Need to rewire mic)
Bluetooth calling (Need to rewire mic)
FM radio (Doesn't seem to work because the head unit is made for dab radio)

Also, we still need to figure out how to terminate the fiber connection back to the head unit. If I unplug the combox, my kombi will stop communicating with my NBT, trip computer will stop working, PDC loses its sound and the BMW startup and seat belt chimes are gone. Also, I can't see any of the songs on the scroll wheel.

Also, if I start the car with the combox in there, the USB port will stop reading and the bluetooth audio will also stop working because it's routing back to the combox for all external connections.

If I start the car with the combox unplugged, turn off the car and plug the combox back in, my trip computer works, I get all the chimes and all of my external connectivity works again.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #32
yungming
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Right now, this is what we have currently working

Navigation (Still on European means but will change to NA soon)
BMW Apps 6NR
USB media
Bluetooth Audio
Mobile Office

The following requires more rewiring which I'm questioning whether I should do it or not

Voice control (Need to rewire mic)
Bluetooth calling (Need to rewire mic)
FM radio (Doesn't seem to work because the head unit is made for dab radio)

Also, we still need to figure out how to terminate the fiber connection back to the head unit. If I unplug the combox, my kombi will stop communicating with my NBT, trip computer will stop working, PDC loses its sound and the BMW startup and seat belt chimes are gone. Also, I can't see any of the songs on the scroll wheel.

Also, if I start the car with the combox in there, the USB port will stop reading and the bluetooth audio will also stop working because it's routing back to the combox for all external connections.

If I start the car with the combox unplugged, turn off the car and plug the combox back in, my trip computer works, I get all the chimes and all of my external connectivity works again.
Are you having the 6WA Cluster? If yes, get a MOST cable and plug it from the cluster to NBT, it will work perfectly for the cluster
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #33
yungming
Rep

OK, I checked your VIN and you are having the 6WA cluster

You need a MOST cable to connect it from 6WA to NBT, I got the cable for USD50
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #34
steve@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK, I checked your VIN and you are having the 6WA cluster

You need a MOST cable to connect it from 6WA to NBT, I got the cable for USD50
Nice! Is the MOST cable proprietary to BMW? Once I do this, I should be able to completely bypass the combox.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #35
steve@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Also, can you tell me how to take out the kombi? I've seen videos of it being done on the F10 but not sure if it's the same on the F30.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #36
yungming
Rep

Quote:
Also, can you tell me how to take out the kombi? I've seen videos of it being done on the F10 but not sure if it's the same on the F30.
The kombi of F30 has 2 torx screw on the top, once you unscrew it, you can take out the kombi, tomorrow I am going to dismantle the kombi, i can take some pics to let you see
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #37
steve@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The kombi of F30 has 2 torx screw on the top, once you unscrew it, you can take out the kombi, tomorrow I am going to dismantle the kombi, i can take some pics to let you see
Awesome! Please do
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #38
steve@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh yeah, I don't need to remove the steering wheel to do this do I? I'm guessing once I pull out the KOMBI, I should have enough space to reach the connectors.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #39
yungming
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah, I don't need to remove the steering wheel to do this do I? I'm guessing once I pull out the KOMBI, I should have enough space to reach the connectors.
yes, you don't have to remove steering, there are enough room space to take out the kombi and the cables are long enough
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #40
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Can I ask where you guys got your NBT unit from? Was it by any chance Latvia or Lithuania via Fleabay? If it was, they should be FM only, not DAB from talking to these sellers. Very dubious as to why all units come from there.

Also, my car as no Nav or enhanced Bluetooth and is the MY2014 spec. Doesn't this mean I don't even have a Combox? Who would I get Bluetooth working in that case since I don't even have cables in the boot (I presume)?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #41
steve@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can I ask where you guys got your NBT unit from? Was it by any chance Latvia or Lithuania via Fleabay? If it was, they should be FM only, not DAB from talking to these sellers. Very dubious as to why all units come from there.

Also, my car as no Nav or enhanced Bluetooth and is the MY2014 spec. Doesn't this mean I don't even have a Combox? Who would I get Bluetooth working in that case since I don't even have cables in the boot (I presume)?
I got mine from a UK seller on ebay but the NBT actually came off a German spec 2014 F31 with a September 2013 production date. Yeah, I can only get FM radio on it and of course I can't check DAB because I'm in Canada.

I actually got more than what I bargained for because this car actually had FSC codes for 6NR BMW Apps and I totally didn't expect it to work on my vehicle. I paid about 700 Pounds for this and it came with the activation module as which is definitely more than just a deal.

Wiring a combox is a lot of work. You're going to need a wiring harness that is completely proprietary and difficult to assemble and this runs from your head unit, under the armrest, to the rear side pillars and into the trunk. It took 1yfe and I about 4 hours to just run a USB cable from the trunk back to the NBT.

I think if you want Bluetooth, it's worth taking a risk to just get one of those ebay head units. It can easily be coded to your car and with a activation module, you will be able to use all features that were on the original vehicle.

I guess the only thing you have to worry about is if the device still works or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #42
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Check your Boot. Some non-Nav cars have Combox depending on the head Unit and Options.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #43
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. Car doesn't arrive until end of the month. It has HK audio, but no Bluetooth.

I would actually prefer the full NBT functionality but if my car doesn't have a Combox am I going to get it?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #44
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. Car doesn't arrive until end of the month. It has HK audio, but no Bluetooth.

I would actually prefer the full NBT functionality but if my car doesn't have a Combox am I going to get it?
If you retrofit NBT, it has Combox built into it.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Appreciate 0