F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
Heel & Toe Apparel

12-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #67
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport

Garage List
Ok. Good luck. My advice though is to get the Bimmer-Tech Plug-N-Play Activation Module, and just put your original head unit in the car for service, and never make mention of NBT Retofit. Then you really do not have to worry about warranty implications.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #68
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Let's see. Is initial advice was it would only affect the warranty of the hifi system and nothing else, but he wanted to check.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #69
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok, got the response back on the warranty situation and it doesn't look good.

He thinks that even though the dealer doesn't care what you do to the car, if it needs any sort of electrical warranty work and BMW can see you have made modifications to the car (even if you removed them), then they would probably find an excuse not to cover the repairs under warranty.

I presume the coding changes you need to make to add the 609, then later remove it would leave a trace that is detectable. Plus unless we can find adapters, there are cabling difference post NBT upgrade which would be hard to reverse.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #70
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Ok, got the response back on the warranty situation and it doesn't look good.

He thinks that even though the dealer doesn't care what you do to the car, if it needs any sort of electrical warranty work and BMW can see you have made modifications to the car (even if you removed them), then they would probably find an excuse not to cover the repairs under warranty.
No surprise there. BMW / a Dealership will always go out of their way to avoid warranty work, and blaming the customer for their modifications is their favorite reason.

That is why I advised using a plug-n-play activation module which allows the factory equipment to be returned to the vehicle with no trace of ever being modified.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #71
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Is that the case that there will be no trace though? The mod seems destructive in the fact you have to remove the FAKRA connectors and also you are making coding changes to the car which are surely logged?

Also, I would normally have my dealer perform tyre changes for winter wheels twice a year, servicing and any other maintenance. Also, once the car is 3 years old I will also be having an MOT once per year too.

That sounds like a lot of work to keep swapping these around multiple times per year.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #72
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is that the case that there will be no trace though? The mod seems destructive in the fact you have to remove the FAKRA connectors and also you are making coding changes to the car which are surely logged?

Also, I would normally have my dealer perform tyre changes for winter wheels twice a year, servicing and any other maintenance. That sounds like a lot of work to keep swapping these around multiple times per year.
You can always make plug-n-play adapter for USB connection too.

If coding changes were an issue, then everyone who has coded their car would have an issue regardless of any actual modifications, and that simply isn't the case.

But, still retrofit option is not for everyone, particularly those overly concerned about warranty issues or those not wanting the hassle of returning car to factory condition prior to dealer service.

For me, coming from a CIC system, it isn't worthwhile at all. NBT is just a marginal improvement over CIC, and not worth the expense or effort to update. If I didn't have CIC, and was coming instead from a basic head unit, then I would retrofit NBT in a minute without hesitation.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #73
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You can always make plug-n-play adapter for USB connection too.
Thanks for the patience Shawn. What is this USB plug play adapter required for? In the documented steps at the start of this post I see no comments about USB connections requiring any sort of modification.

I am coming from HU_Entry on a December 2013 car and don't have a Combox in the boot but do have USB and Line-In in the glove box (no enhanced bluetooth).

Do you know of anyone that makes adapters for the Fakra cables so I don't have to remove the shrouds (which I presume I can't easily reinstall).

Also, I have HK Audio so I assume I would also need to be cutting wires in the boot.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #74
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
To my knowledge, the Fakra connector that needs modification is the USB one. I don't know anyone selling an adapter, but one can easily be made by buying both mating connectors and wiring it correctly.

As for HK Audio, you would still be using the same Amp, so I don't think any wires need to be cut related to it.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #75
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The instructions say to remove the fakra connections from blue, black pink and white (step 5).

They also state for Hifi audio it has a sense lead that runs to the head unit that will need cutting and attaching to the fuse box via a splice (step 10).

That was my reading but I could easily be wrong given this one set of instructions is covering two completely different installs.

Also, there is no mention of what is involved fitting the new drive touch controller (or screen).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #76
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The instructions say to remove the fakra connections from blue, black pink and white (step 5).

They also state for Hifi audio it has a sense lead that runs to the head unit that will need cutting and attaching to the fuse box via a splice (step 10).

That was my reading but I could easily be wrong given this one set of instructions is covering two completely different installs.

Also, there is no mention of what is involved fitting the new drive touch controller (or screen).
You can run NBT with regular non touch iDrive controller. If you add touch controller, you have to add the handwriting module, which would have to be spliced in.

But, for any connection that is needed, splicing can be replaced with custom plug-n-play harnesses. Splicing is not necessary.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #77
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Right, I didn't realise that. I thought it would just a drop in replacement for the regular controller. Would quite like the touch controller because it will make map navigation easier. Sounds like this could be more complex than I realised.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #78
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I thought the I drive Touch controller was the handwriting module, or is that something different. I've seen plenty of NBT units for sale that come with the Touch Controller.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #79
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I thought the I drive Touch controller was the handwriting module, or is that something different. I've seen plenty of NBT units for sale that come with the Touch Controller.
No. The iDrive Touch controller requires a Handwriting Module that you can't see, that mounts underneath the controller.

I have seen many NBT Retrofits for sale, with iDrive Touch controllers pictured, but usually the needed Handwriting Module is not shown, leaving me to conclude it is often not included.

Hers is the Touch Controller and Handwriting Module:

Name:  486697322.jpg
Views: 3032
Size:  24.7 KB

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 12-30-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #80
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Once again thanks for the detailed knowledge you are providing. I don't suppose you understand why those fakra connectors don't fit and what a converter would need to look like. If I could use a converter rather than modifying original connectors then there really are very few things preventing putting the original head unit back for servicing.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #81
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I thought the Fakra connector fit and it was just that the pinout was different so it was rewired using same connector housing.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #82
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I thought the Fakra connector fit and it was just that the pinout was different so it was rewired using same connector housing.
That doesn't look to be the case going by the picture under step 5 posted by 1lyfe above. Perhaps the original poster could chip in?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #83
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That doesn't look to be the case going by the picture under step 5 posted by 1lyfe above. Perhaps the original poster could chip in?
I think going from CIC to NBT, the connector is the same, but the Pinout is different. I think in his case going from HU_CHAMP, the Pinout was surprisingly the same, but maybe connector housing was different.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #84
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
I think going from CIC to NBT, the connector is the same, but the Pinout is different. I think in his case going from HU_CHAMP, the Pinout was surprisingly the same, but maybe connector housing was different.
When 1lyfe was working on my F30 with CIC, he noted that the GPS Arial connector from my CIC was different and could not fit into the NBT so we had to break the connector to put the bare metal plug into the female end of the connector on the NBT.

For the HSD cable connecting the armrest USB to the combox, we had to run that to the front and also shave all the plastic around the connector so that we could rotate it 180 degrees to match the pinout for the NBT.

The only HSD connector that fit was the beige armrest USB cable and that can go right into the beige port on the NBT but the USB port will still not work since the pinout is different. I haven't tried this myself but I think you can just take the beige cable from your glove box, shave the connectors and rotate it 180 degrees to use the glove box USB port for media and data transfer. It's probably a lot easier than removing that 20 feet cable from the combox and running it back to the NBT.
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(416)833-4921 (9:00am - 7:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
Competitive pricing on Enhanced Bluetooth, Sirius XM, Backup Cameras as well as NBT and NBT EVO Retrofits
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #85
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for clarifying.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #86
steve@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You can run NBT with regular non touch iDrive controller. If you add touch controller, you have to add the handwriting module, which would have to be spliced in.

But, for any connection that is needed, splicing can be replaced with custom plug-n-play harnesses. Splicing is not necessary.
Any idea where the splicing is needed? I know that underneath the trim piece where the controller is connected to, there's a small 3 pin connector for the CIC controller.
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(416)833-4921 (9:00am - 7:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
Competitive pricing on Enhanced Bluetooth, Sirius XM, Backup Cameras as well as NBT and NBT EVO Retrofits
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #87
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Any idea where the splicing is needed? I know that underneath the trim piece where the controller is connected to, there's a small 3 pin connector for the CIC controller.
No, sorry. Need to check ZBE Wiring in ISTA/D to see where it connects.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #88
steve@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Once again thanks for the detailed knowledge you are providing. I don't suppose you understand why those fakra connectors don't fit and what a converter would need to look like. If I could use a converter rather than modifying original connectors then there really are very few things preventing putting the original head unit back for servicing.
I don't think it's even possible to have a 100% undetectable retrofit but most of the splicing and cutting is underneath all the panels so I highly doubt your dealer will ever find out unless they need to do some electrical work on your head unit.

Right now, all of my FAKRA connectors have their heads removed (Sat Radio, GPS Arial, FM Radio), my USB cable that original runs to the combox is completely pulled out and moved to the NBT with all the prongs shaved off the connector.

When I'm taking my car in for service, all I need to do is remove the centre console trim and the climate control piece, take out the NBT, put all the connectors back into the CIC and put the original screen back in. My USB port in the armrest will not work but I highly doubt that they will care. It's about a 10 minute swap.
Appreciate 0