F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #1475
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
steve@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
186
Rep
1,582
Posts


Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Whatever you do, DO NOT connect that head unit to the car without an emulator otherwise you will end up with a bricked head unit.

If you already did and it says "No Signal" on the screen, it will be very difficult to get it out of lock down mode. It's happened on ours a few times and in some cases, it will be irreversible.
__________________
Codemybimmer
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(416)833-4921 (10:00am - 6:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
Competitive pricing on Enhanced Bluetooth, Sirius XM, Backup Cameras as well as NBT and NBT EVO Retrofits
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #1476
rkspeck33
Private
2
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: 2014 428xi - F32
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

Can any tell me he part number for the Screen connector wire to the box? Usually a purple/pink color on the units, but sometimes the wire connectors come in green. The two top pins broke, and now I cannot get power/info to the screen. Need a new wire and not 100% sure what to buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #1477
OleX
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: Z3
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Hi,

I am also planning to change the Champ2 Navi Business to a NBT EVO on my 2013 F31.
Unfortunately I have a combox, so what I understood from all These threads on here, this will be some wiring work needed. There are just emergency call and teleservice, no CD Services, so I think this will be OK.

I plan to go for a FSC set.

What I am struggeling with is the correct Hardware. I really want to have the new ID5/ID6. Since I don't have a TCB or ATM I will Need a head unit with internal GPS correct? Is the ATM or an emulator needed even if I use Hardware with internal GPS?

I have seen HW2.3 B140 with GPS and HW3.1 from G30/G11 with GPS. What will be the best one for me? Perfect would be Hardware with 4GB Ram.

Is HW2.3 also available with ID5, perhaps B240 versions?

Hope you could help me with this.

Regards, Sven
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #1478
steve_jones
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Bmw 320 Msport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nottingham

iTrader: (0)

Hi all quick question I considering doing the upgrade to NBT Nav,

I have Business Nav currently along with a Combox and HK Sound system

I understand I have to isolate out the combox and install new antenna for GPS and blutooth etc..

Does anything special need to happen to make the HK system work after the conversion either coding or remote activation wires for the amp ?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #1479
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
steve@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
186
Rep
1,582
Posts


Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_jones View Post
Hi all quick question I considering doing the upgrade to NBT Nav,

I have Business Nav currently along with a Combox and HK Sound system

I understand I have to isolate out the combox and install new antenna for GPS and blutooth etc..

Does anything special need to happen to make the HK system work after the conversion either coding or remote activation wires for the amp ?

Many thanks

If the donor vehicle had stereo or Hi-Fi, you will need the NBT HU coded to use HK as the signal routing is different on these sound systems.

For Bluetooth and USB, you will need to reroute the existing cables and antennas from the combox back over to the HU. We usually provide new ones to our customers so there is no need to tear up the carpeting or removing your seats. You're also going to need to run a new mic cable directly to quad lock for the Bluetooth Phone and voice control to work. The combox will either need to be coded out or you can use a most loop closing ring to terminate the combox.

Also for HK, if you're using an emulator, don't forget to move the most optical cable from your existing quad lock connector over to the emulator otherwise there will be no sound.
__________________
Codemybimmer
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(416)833-4921 (10:00am - 6:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
Competitive pricing on Enhanced Bluetooth, Sirius XM, Backup Cameras as well as NBT and NBT EVO Retrofits
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #1480
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
steve@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
186
Rep
1,582
Posts


Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleX View Post
Hi,

I am also planning to change the Champ2 Navi Business to a NBT EVO on my 2013 F31.
Unfortunately I have a combox, so what I understood from all These threads on here, this will be some wiring work needed. There are just emergency call and teleservice, no CD Services, so I think this will be OK.

I plan to go for a FSC set.

What I am struggeling with is the correct Hardware. I really want to have the new ID5/ID6. Since I don't have a TCB or ATM I will Need a head unit with internal GPS correct? Is the ATM or an emulator needed even if I use Hardware with internal GPS?

I have seen HW2.3 B140 with GPS and HW3.1 from G30/G11 with GPS. What will be the best one for me? Perfect would be Hardware with 4GB Ram.

Is HW2.3 also available with ID5, perhaps B240 versions?

Hope you could help me with this.

Regards, Sven
Yes, my M235i is currently using a HW2.3 from a 2017 X3 28i salvage. Keep in mind that my vehicle already has ATM so there is no need a for a GPS receiver.

If you can get hold of the G30 unit with GPS I would say that's your best bet.

Please check my previous post in regards to the combox.
__________________
Codemybimmer
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(416)833-4921 (10:00am - 6:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
Competitive pricing on Enhanced Bluetooth, Sirius XM, Backup Cameras as well as NBT and NBT EVO Retrofits
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #1481
blackabass
New Member
United Kingdom
1
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: Estoril Blue 320d MSport
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: West Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackabass View Post
Hello, Bimmer Users.

I just got the NBT EVO HU from a BMW breaker. It was removed from a 2016 F30.

My F30 is late 2013 and has the business nav and I'll like to retrofit the NBT EVO HU on it

I managed fixed the 2016 idrive touch controller to my F30 but no touch just knob control.

MY QUESTION
  1. What part do I need to buy to complete the retrofit successfully without damaging any unit
  2. Must I use an emulator or can it be coded
  3. If coding is possible or required, can it be done remotely?
  4. Is there any one in West Midlands UK that can help with coding if it cannot be done remotely
  5. Is there any one in West Midlands UK that can help with fitting for an affordable amount if I cannot do this.

Pictures of my OLD unit + NBT EVO below.

My VIN is WBA3D32090J384786

Your response is appreciated.

Cheers.
All done with help of germaniks
http://www.germaniks.com/

My 2013 F30 is taking a new shape one step at a time. Next is to complete the reverse camera, adaptive LED, and 6WA Cluster ...
See pictures below.

I had to do the following
  1. New harness for the NBT HU
  2. Get an ATM Emulator
  3. An FM splitter for better DAB signal
  4. Rewire both mics to the new harness
  5. Write module for the iDrive touch controller
  6. Disable the combox in trunk
  7. Loop the fiber optic cable
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 03:15 AM   #1482
steve_jones
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: Bmw 320 Msport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nottingham

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackabass View Post
All done with help of germaniks
http://www.germaniks.com/

My 2013 F30 is taking a new shape one step at a time. Next is to complete the reverse camera, adaptive LED, and 6WA Cluster ...
See pictures below.

I had to do the following
  1. New harness for the NBT HU
  2. Get an ATM Emulator
  3. An FM splitter for better DAB signal
  4. Rewire both mics to the new harness
  5. Write module for the iDrive touch controller
  6. Disable the combox in trunk
  7. Loop the fiber optic cable

Great job I'm considering the same myself couple of questions

What emulator module did you use ?
Did you use the original mics or just run new ones ?
Is your com box totally disabled now ?
Did you use existing gps and Bluetooth or run new ones ?
What coding was required did you do it ?
Many thanks

Steve
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #1483
blackabass
New Member
United Kingdom
1
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: Estoril Blue 320d MSport
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: West Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_jones View Post
Great job I'm considering the same myself couple of questions

What emulator module did you use ?
Did you use the original mics or just run new ones ?
Is your com box totally disabled now ?
Did you use existing gps and Bluetooth or run new ones ?
What coding was required did you do it ?
Many thanks

Steve
Thanks Steve - see my response below.
  • The Emulator is called ATM emulator, it's the black box behind the HU in the pictures I uploaded. I can pm you the email of the contact I got it from.
  • I used original mic but I had to run new wires direct to my new HU and then connect it to both mics
  • Yes combox is completely disabled
  • ATM emulator is now the new GPS system and I connected a Bluetooth and WLAN adapter to the new HU unit
  • I did not bother with the coding so I don't screw things up, Germanics helped me with the coding, he is an expert in BMW retro and coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #1484
skyactiv0
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 428i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackabass View Post
Thanks Steve - see my response below.
  • The Emulator is called ATM emulator, it's the black box behind the HU in the pictures I uploaded. I can pm you the email of the contact I got it from.
  • I used original mic but I had to run new wires direct to my new HU and then connect it to both mics
  • Yes combox is completely disabled
  • ATM emulator is now the new GPS system and I connected a Bluetooth and WLAN adapter to the new HU unit
  • I did not bother with the coding so I don't screw things up, Germanics helped me with the coding, he is an expert in BMW retro and coding.
Out of curiosity, what guide did you use to terminate the combox?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 11:44 PM   #1485
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
steve@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
186
Rep
1,582
Posts


Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyactiv0 View Post
Out of curiosity, what guide did you use to terminate the combox?
You can either use a most loop adapter to close the loop after pulling the plug on the combox or you can keep the combox plugged in but disable BT and USB via coding.
__________________
Codemybimmer
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(416)833-4921 (10:00am - 6:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
Competitive pricing on Enhanced Bluetooth, Sirius XM, Backup Cameras as well as NBT and NBT EVO Retrofits
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #1486
skyactiv0
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 428i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
You can either use a most loop adapter to close the loop after pulling the plug on the combox or you can keep the combox plugged in but disable BT and USB via coding.
Thank you Steve, just the answer I was looking for!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 12:15 PM   #1487
danitrescan
New Member
danitrescan's Avatar
Spain
1
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: f32 428i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: spain

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
You can either use a most loop adapter to close the loop after pulling the plug on the combox or you can keep the combox plugged in but disable BT and USB via coding.
Hi steve.
Can you confirm this steep to deactivate combox?

BT_EIN_AUS nitch_activ
A2DP_AVRCP_EIN_AUS nitch_activ
HANDSFREE_SECONDARY nitch_activ
VCARD_OVER_MOST nitch_activ
API_EIN_AUS nitch_activ
USB_HUB nitch_activ
API_TWO_USB nitch_activ
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #1488
Jtara
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 320D F30
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Just wondering if someone could give me a little help. Ive just purchased a used 2012 320D with nav, bluetooth and the usb port but it doesnt do Bluetooth audio streaming, just the basic bluetooth. I have done a vincheck and it decodes to say i have;

S606A Navigation system Business
S6NHA Hands-free with USB interface

I dont have possession of the vehicle yet so cant check if it has a combo box installed, would I be able to do the EBT? Can someone PM me or give me a rundown.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #1489
mrtx
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Poland

iTrader: (0)

Hi
I'm doing retrofit on F30 with NBT and not sure what to do with the combox in the back??
Should I disconnect all the cables or is there anything which stay connected?? Do I need to keep the combox or can I get rid of it permanently??
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #1490
roelandg
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: F30 2012
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Hi all

I have some questions regarding my NBT retrofit on F30 (2012). But not because it didn't work, but because it did - surprisingly - worked! After reading a lot of forum topics, filtering the non working solutions, I started the NBT installation.

Facts:
- HU_CHAMP2 entry was present before starting the coding of FA
- Combox present in the trunk
- NBT was taken from a car from my country with correct language already configured.

Steps taken:
1. Replaced the head unit with the NBT (non EVO) using an emulator attached to the Harness. Kept the old controller installed. I have the touch controller + module, but will install these later by connecting them to pin 9 and 11 of the harness. Also installed the bigger screen with new video cable.
2. Tested the NBT, navigation was working out of the box, also accurate GPS position. No sound, no bluetooth (no antenna connected), no FM (waiting for the splitter)
4. Started the FA coding by:
a. removing 606
b. adding 609
c. adding 6NL (because I had HU_CHAMP2 entry)
d. adding 6NR (Apps, visible, but not tested)
e. adding 6UH (Traffic info, visible, but not tested)
f. Changed the date to "0713".
5. After writing FA and reading VCM, the HU_CHAMP2 entry was replaced by HU_NBT, which I coded along with the Kombi ECU module.

Because I had the combox in the trunk, I was planning to install the MOST termination loop and and connect the 'remote' wire to the fuse box. However, all seems to work already:

1. The sound is working (tried with an USB stick in the glove compartment)
2. Navigation is working
3. NBT gets the correct values from the car like (tire pressure etc)
4. Successfully set the time on the NBT which is displayed on the KOMBI as well.
5. Steering wheel buttons working (volume, tel button, mode)
6. Connected drive is visible (already was before coding)
7. BMW Apps is visible (after coding)

So my questions are
1) What am I missing? Why are people installing the MOST termination loopt and the wire to the fuse box?
2) Why do people change the VIN?

From my point of viev everything is working, except for the bluetooth, microphone (still connected to combox) and FM. I guess by installing a new bluetooth antenna under the dashboard and connecting it to the NBT, fix the MIC wire and using the FM splitter cable, everything is done? Right?


Thanks for some clarification!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #1491
Jhnblckwood
Private First Class
7
Rep
160
Posts

Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Ppl change the vin for a few reasons but if u have the emulator u don't need too. Ur Bluetooth isn't working since ur combox is still hooked up. U can either get the terminating loop and/or code the Bluetooth from combox to nbt after installing new Bluetooth wire or running from combox to nbt.
If I'm not 100% correct someone pls correct me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #1492
roelandg
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: F30 2012
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Amsterdam

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhnblckwood View Post
Ppl change the vin for a few reasons but if u have the emulator u don't need too. Ur Bluetooth isn't working since ur combox is still hooked up. U can either get the terminating loop and/or code the Bluetooth from combox to nbt after installing new Bluetooth wire or running from combox to nbt.
If I'm not 100% correct someone pls correct me.

Thanks for your reply! I have bought a bluetooth antenna (taken of an Opel) which work great. I still have the combox connected currently, but when I have time, I will disconnect it. Also, still need to rewire the microphone cables. All the rest is working without issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #1493
RetrofitF21
Registered
1
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 125D
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I have just bought an Oct 2012 F21 which has HU-Entry and the 5 button iDrive controller (926 1704). I am planning on doing the NBT upgrade...just waiting on the parts to arrive from eBay. This thread has been brilliant for my research. Thanks to all.

One question... I bought a Touch controller with the voice ECU . The touch controller part is 935 0723 which came out in 01/2014, I plugged it in today to see if it was a plug and play fit with my HU ENTRY but it is unresponsive. Do I need an earlier model of the Touch controller or will it come alive when I code the car?

BTW: I have bought
1 x HU NBT (HW 07)
1 x GPS antenna
1 x DAB antenna
1 x WiFi antenna (the NBT HU has a WiFi connector so want to see if it works)
1 x Touch controller
1 x Voice ECU
1 x splitter cable

My car has basic BT and has the AUX/USB in the armrest

I will need the E-SYS software - Shawn, you seem to be the guru here can you help me please with the latest version.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #1494
akgambino
Private First Class
18
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: F30 335xi M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Saskatchewan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrofitF21 View Post
I have just bought an Oct 2012 F21 which has HU-Entry and the 5 button iDrive controller (926 1704). I am planning on doing the NBT upgrade...just waiting on the parts to arrive from eBay. This thread has been brilliant for my research. Thanks to all.

One question... I bought a Touch controller with the voice ECU . The touch controller part is 935 0723 which came out in 01/2014, I plugged it in today to see if it was a plug and play fit with my HU ENTRY but it is unresponsive. Do I need an earlier model of the Touch controller or will it come alive when I code the car?

BTW: I have bought
1 x HU NBT (HW 07)
1 x GPS antenna
1 x DAB antenna
1 x WiFi antenna (the NBT HU has a WiFi connector so want to see if it works)
1 x Touch controller
1 x Voice ECU
1 x splitter cable

My car has basic BT and has the AUX/USB in the armrest

I will need the E-SYS software - Shawn, you seem to be the guru here can you help me please with the latest version.
Would really like some info on this as well.

I understand the touch controller needs kcan2 wiring from the nbt to make it work which requires some splicing of wires... my question is where can a person buy a plug and play adapter to make this work on a pre 2014 car that was equipped with hu_entry?

Surely something like that exists and would have a plug and play adapter that the original car wiring plugs into, then plugs into the nbt being retrofit into the car, and would also have the splitter cable and touch ecu.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #1495
Sanelko
Private First Class
Sanelko's Avatar
17
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Would really like some info on this as well.

I understand the touch controller needs kcan2 wiring from the nbt to make it work which requires some splicing of wires... my question is where can a person buy a plug and play adapter to make this work on a pre 2014 car that was equipped with hu_entry?

Surely something like that exists and would have a plug and play adapter that the original car wiring plugs into, then plugs into the nbt being retrofit into the car, and would also have the splitter cable and touch ecu.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-NBT-EVO...dZLX5I&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #1496
macs
Private
macs's Avatar
Italy
7
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: f31
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Would really like some info on this as well.

I understand the touch controller needs kcan2 wiring from the nbt to make it work which requires some splicing of wires... my question is where can a person buy a plug and play adapter to make this work on a pre 2014 car that was equipped with hu_entry?

Surely something like that exists and would have a plug and play adapter that the original car wiring plugs into, then plugs into the nbt being retrofit into the car, and would also have the splitter cable and touch ecu.
I don't think you can find an Y cable but you can simply make it by yourself, as I did
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST