F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DAB to be standard on all BMW's from January
proTUNING Freaks

11-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

With Chris Moyles going and Scott Mills on afternoons Radio 1 which I have been listening to for ever has to go. I ordered DAB for mine for that very reason, because there are way too few nationwide radio stations in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #24
Rajput
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d 2012

Interference when listening to radio 4 FM

This is my first posting, and i don't think i can start a new thread just yet.

Collected my new F30 in October this year, and only have the standard radio. Since then, I’ve tried out playing mp3s via a usb stick directly plugged into the usb socket, and subsequently bought a Y cable off fleabay to use with an iPod.

My first reaction to the usb stick was ‘good sound’, and better than the Y cable set up with an iPod, but I’ve stuck with the iPod in order to update my playlists. I’ve selected ‘bass booster’ as the iPod EQ setting and also turned the bass down about 3 bars in the car setting. I feel that I’ve now got an acceptable sound, and I can hear bass which I couldn’t before in my E46. I hasten to add that I’m not expecting hi f in the car with the set up i have!

Anyway, my issue is when I listen to radio 4, as this is mostly speech. I can hear, what sounds like static and also electrical interference, like you used to be able to hear when turning the tuning dial on old radios. It’s bad enough to give me a headache within 15 minutes or so, and bad enough to make listening to this station on FM unlistenable. I told the dealer that maybe the aerial wasn’t properly connected or that there was some loose connection.

I tuned into radio 4 using the RDS set up, and then also manually with RDS off, and it’s as though the frequency is just off the optimum one, and hence the interference. The radio also seems to be prone to picking up ‘snaps, crackles, and pops’, none of which I had in my old E46 radio, and which I thought disappeared in the 70s/80s. I get intermittent static too like before a thunderstorm.

The dealer checked and couldn’t find the problem with the radio (not surprising really considering they tuned the radio to some non-stop music channel), but also that they couldn’t find a fault with the wires in the rear windscreen either.

On collecting my car I tuned into radio 4 (94.3 MHz) and demonstrated the problem first hand, and the dealer agreed that there is a problem present. The dealer had me book the car in again for a whole day for them to try and fix the problem. They didn’t manage it, and now want the car back for a whole week to do various tests like make up an new aerial cable, etc. The dealer has raised a PUMA.

Thing is, I’ve noticed the SAME problem in the courtesy mini bus they dropped me at home in, and also in the car that they came to collect me to take me back to the dealership, on the same radio station. I therefore think that the problem is not specific to my car, and that it is a common fault with the standard radio.

It’s good that BMW are now going to offer DAB as standard fit on 2013 beemers, but even if I got this as an replacement/upgrade, it still wouldn’t solve the current issue of poor radio reception quality for those times when the DAB signal doesn’t work.

Anyone confirm that they also have the same problem? Or if they managed to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I also have the standard (non-DAB) radio but haven't experienced any interference on Radio 4, or any of the other stations.

Unfortunately, they won't be able to replace/upgrade your non-DAB radio to the factory fit DAB radio the only option seems to be the retro-fit DAB which is a little different (and as it's effectively a bolt-on solution, it may not help).

Life is a state of mind

Last edited by RobUK; 12-11-2012 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 02:38 AM   #26
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

I have moved my build from week51 to week 2.. So I will get dab. Wonder how many cars will get built early as I suspect many will do/ try the same?

__________________________________________________ ________________

G02 X4 MSport X - Carbon Black w Black / Comfort Pack / Tech Pack / Privacy
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #27
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

This F31 loaner has DAB. I'll have to see if it's any better than the units fitted to the myriad of Minis I've been driving recently. In Sheffield I only seem to be able to get BBC Asian Network and Absolute 80s
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:31 AM   #28
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron1973 View Post
I have moved my build from week51 to week 2.. So I will get dab. Wonder how many cars will get built early as I suspect many will do/ try the same?
I thought there was a price rise from Jan 1st which worked out at more than the cost of adding the DAB as an option? If so, you'd be better amending your spec now to add the DAB, and you'll also get to keep your current build week as well (if your car isn't 'Confirmed by Production Control' yet, which I assume it isn't or you wouldn't have been able to move your build week either)... Just a thought
      12-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #29
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
I thought there was a price rise from Jan 1st which worked out at more than the cost of adding the DAB as an option? If so, you'd be better amending your spec now to add the DAB, and you'll also get to keep your current build week as well (if your car isn't 'Confirmed by Production Control' yet, which I assume it isn't or you wouldn't have been able to move your build week either)... Just a thought
Im not paying for it... so couldnt care less

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #30
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Im not paying for it... so couldnt care less
I doubt they would add the features for you that have come into effect along with an associated price rise; without at least trying to charge you for it, unless there was a genuine delay on BMW's end (i.e. not just you requesting your build date to be put back). I would check you won't be paying the higher price when you get the car - standard practice for price rises, finance offer changes etc., that are in place when the car is actually delivered rather than ordered - if you haven't already.

Or if they've already confirmed you're getting the new feature(s) and definitely not paying a penny more: result
      12-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #31
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I doubt they would add the features for you that have come into effect along with an associated price rise; without at least trying to charge you for it, unless there was a genuine delay on BMW's end (i.e. not just you requesting your build date to be put back). I would check you won't be paying the higher price when you get the car - standard practice for price rises, finance offer changes etc., that are in place when the car is actually delivered rather than ordered - if you haven't already.

Or if they've already confirmed you're getting the new feature(s) and definitely not paying a penny more: result
I am not paying for it. Arval are. It is their problem not mine. I have no interest in the retail price of the vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #32
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am not paying for it. Arval are. It is their problem not mine. I have no interest in the retail price of the vehicle.
Right lol, lucky you then I thought "I am not paying for it" meant "I will *not* be paying for it if they try to charge me", rather than you actually aren't paying for your car, lol
      12-14-2012, 05:02 AM   #33
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Right lol, lucky you then I thought "I am not paying for it" meant "I will *not* be paying for it if they try to charge me", rather than you actually aren't paying for your car, lol
Nope. I wouldnt be buying a 320d if it was my money. I wouldnt be buying an F30 tbh.

Would be in 6er if it were my money.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #34
Rajput
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d 2012

Does the standard radio do anything more than just play music? I mean, does it control anything else not related to playing music? Trying to figure out why it can't be just swapped for either the 'factory fitted model' (assuming BMW even made it available) or some other make/model.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #35
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Just found out mine is coming with DAB as standard. Result! It was a £££ option when I ordered!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #36
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajput View Post
Does the standard radio do anything more than just play music? I mean, does it control anything else not related to playing music? Trying to figure out why it can't be just swapped for either the 'factory fitted model' (assuming BMW even made it available) or some other make/model.
Can't get mine to make phone calls