F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK 328i Owners Thread (General Discussion)
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: Which Line is your 328i?
SE 0 0%
Modern 0 0%
Luxury 6 54.55%
M Sport 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

05-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

UK 328i Owners Thread (General Discussion)

Hello!........ hello....................hello...............................hello.....................................hello...........................................hello................................................hello
Apologies - that was my best echo impression. It's quiet here, hope we become more populated.

So, I thought I'd create a general discussion thread for F30 328i owners in the UK. Share anything you like! I'm soon to be an owner and my primary concern (only concern really) is economy, especially coming from a 330d. I want 44+ MPG! A tall order for a powerful petrol engine, but one I hope and believe it can achieve. I just read James Martin's (yes, he's a chef) review of the 328i Modern he had for a week and did a multi-country motorway tour in it. He loved it, even though it was a shite review, and said it achieved 55mpg!!! He had the 8spd Auto which will have helped. He also had a car full of passengers and a boot full of luggage.
Now I could've posted this in the General N20 section but American MPG is different from our MPG and they often drive heavier footed, plus they have a different grade of fuel over the pond. So this is exclusive to UK members .

But as I say, post whatever you like regarding your car here!
I ordered mine in early March and it will be here (slightly delayed from the estimated 26th May) on the 8th June. What sort of delivery time are you on?

Post pics if you can too! Would be nice to see some shots with the steering wheel on the correct side...
Here's the configurator shots of mine! Even though it's BMW UK's configurator, the steering wheel is still on the wrong side
Post your configurator pics if you don't have your car yet!
Attached Images

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
bmwbullet
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 12 328 Luxury

Vote Luxury for me
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbullet View Post
Vote Luxury for me
Have you got any pics of your car?

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Don't suppose I qualify for this thread, as I'm looking to be in an F31 328i.

I was hoping to order for delivery on F31 launch day, but as the Sport line is not coming in the 328i, I'm not sure what I'm going for.

I'm stuck on trim level and nothing is lighting my fire at the moment, don't want an all black interior.

Anyone seen the saddle brown leather in the Luxury line?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

I was hoping to order for delivery on F31 launch day, but as the Sport line is not coming in the 328i, I'm not sure what I'm going for.

I'm stuck on trim level and nothing is lighting my fire at the moment, don't want an all black interior.

HighlandPete
I haven't yet seen the luxury interior as my dealer only has modern and sport at the moment and I don't like either; the modern is, to me, particularly unpleasant, with beige dials and it's finished in sculptured trim which looks like it's been roughly whittled from a gash bit of driftwood.
The switchgear and plastics feel cheaper and, to me, not what you'd expect in a car costing the best part of £40k.
However, all this is very much compensated for by a vast improvement in the electric steering and the amazing new 4cyl 2 litre engine; on paper it's not quite as fast as my F10 535d, but it feels quicker because there's absolutely no turbo lag and it shifts somewhere between 6 and 6.5K RPM.
I'm eagerly awaiting the coupé version, rumoured to be due late next year.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:

HighlandPete
I'll make an exception and let you in
Yes I have! The 328i I test drove was a Luxury with the saddle brown interior and it looked good actually. I prefer black, but it would be my next choice. It's not that light, cheap looking crap like you get in the Modern but not as dark as black. Smart, I must say.

And yes, because over here Sport is a "budget" Line, we can't get anything north of a 320d in that guise.
The M Sport though looks promising!
How come you're not after another 330d? I would walk straight past the 328i if I had the opportunity to be in a 330d! Sadly when I ordered in March, it wasn't available, and even if I ordered now, I still wouldn't get it till September/October time at the earliest!
So I'm really looking forward to a petrol actually after over 18 years of driving diesel and especially a petrol engine as fine as this. It will make a nice change, but will probably be back in a diesel (30d or 35d) in 3 years time!

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
I haven't yet seen the luxury interior as my dealer only has modern and sport at the moment and I don't like either; the modern is, to me, particularly unpleasant, with beige dials and it's finished in sculptured trim which looks like it's been roughly whittled from a gash bit of driftwood.
The switchgear and plastics feel cheaper and, to me, not what you'd expect in a car costing the best part of £40k.
However, all this is very much compensated for by a vast improvement in the electric steering and the amazing new 4cyl 2 litre engine; on paper it's not quite as fast as my F10 535d, but it feels quicker because there's absolutely no turbo lag and it shifts somewhere between 6 and 6.5K RPM.
I'm eagerly awaiting the coupé version, rumoured to be due late next year.
I've had the privilege of being in all specs of the F30 and I must say I completely agree with you about the Modern - it's bloody awful! As you say, even though the colour is down to personal choice, it looks tacky and cheap when compared to the Sport or Luxury's black dials. The driftwood amused me and my salesman greatly!!
Regarding the steering, it definitely was a huge improvement over the F11 I drove and just shows how electronic steering technology is improving. That said, taking price out of the equation, I'd take your 535d off you!
The N20's power drops off after 6500rpm so the auto transmission in DS will take it up to 7000rpm!
The spy shots of the F32 or 4 Series look excellent, especially around the Hoffmeister Kink! That's gonna be one fine looking motor I'd have that if I didn't need four doors and didn't a ginger little terrier.
I almost had an E92 330d actually because I didn't have a dog at the time and thought it looked good, but only in M Sport guise. So when I configured an E90 (which I thought looked worse in M Sport trim compared to the SE) and an E92, the price difference wasn't really justifiable when losing practicality. I'm very glad I went with the E90, I love it to bits and I'm glad I didn't go for the M Sport either.
On my old 520d, I wish I had gone for the M Sport package and on the Jaguar X-Type I had before that, I thought I should've had the sport pack on too but my 330d - very happy!!
And very very sad that it has less than 4 days with me

That said, I am really looking forward to and excited for my F30 and hope the N20 proves to be as reliable as my N57, even though it has developed 2 or 3 minor faults through its 3 year, 80,000 mile life time.

I have my 328i on 27,000mls per year so I suppose I am the one to watch when it comes to reliability!

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Yes I have! The 328i I test drove was a Luxury with the saddle brown interior and it looked good actually.

How come you're not after another 330d? I would walk straight past the 328i if I had the opportunity to be in a 330d!
I'll need to see the saddle brown in reality, as it is not something I'd even list, unless I'm really impressed with it. Not into all black, so very limited in the F30/1 models.

328i is first choice, but definitely as a compromise. I'm heading into full retirement with this car. Mileage is now low in the BMW, (less than 8k per year), and typical and regular trips are about 12 miles each way, no good for a big diesel, particularly in winter time.

I've thought of the 320d as a compromise, but if into 4-pot engines the 328i petrol definitely makes much more sense for the use. And that bit of extra urge when needed.

If the 2.0 petrol was not turbo charged, I'd not be looking at it. It is the fact the engine has a good mid range, where I use an engine most, that it is top of the 'practical' list.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
I'll need to see the saddle brown in reality, as it is not something I'd even list, unless I'm really impressed with it. Not into all black, so very limited in the F30/1 models.

328i is first choice, but definitely as a compromise. I'm heading into full retirement with this car. Mileage is now low in the BMW, (less than 8k per year), and typical and regular trips are about 12 miles each way, no good for a big diesel, particularly in winter time.

I've thought of the 320d as a compromise, but if into 4-pot engines the 328i petrol definitely makes much more sense for the use. And that bit of extra urge when needed.

If the 2.0 petrol was not turbo charged, I'd not be looking at it. It is the fact the engine has a good mid range, where I use an engine most, that it is top of the 'practical' list.

HighlandPete
Ahh I see! Makes sense then! A 330d would make more sense for me being high mileage but yeah - can see why you would prefer to go with the 328i! It'll be a great engine and I'm really looking forward to it. I've just gotten so attached to my 330d, which is going tomorrow morning!!
Don't we have great cars What a lovely position to be in. A sad day, but I'd rather have it than not at all.

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Greetings!

Ordered a 328i Luxury in red back at the start of March, picking it up next weekend.

So why that choice? Well would have liked a Sport Line but in their wisdom BMW don't want to offer a 328i Sport Line in the UK right now. If I was ordering now then I'd probably splash the extra £500 or so and go for the 328i M Sport but again, wasn't an option at the time.

Coming from a 2009 118d Sport 3-door, which I have to say has been a great little car (even better since the remap), but her indoors continually referring to it as my 'puny earthling car' finally got to me, and when she said to me "how about we get you something a little bigger" how could I refuse. Last 2 cars have been diesels and just fancied getting away from the oil burner grumble, and seeing as the mpg figures of the 328i don't seem that much worse than the 320i, figured I may as well.

Actually I'm already thinking about tweaks like fitting the Sport Line grille & lower intakes, plus getting the chrome door trim vinyl wrapped in black, but maybe I'm being too hasty and will have to see how well I get on with all that chrome

As to spec, went for...
- Visibility Pack
- Professional Multimedia
- Sunroof
- Sports seats (tried them in showroom, preferred them to the 'regular' ones)
- Heated seats
- Electric seats
- Lumbar support
- Heated steering wheel (sorry, but I get cold hands in the winter!)
- Privacy glass
- HUD
- Sport Auto
- Folding mirrors
- V-spoke Style 398 alloys

Will post some pics when I get it.

Oh and finally... add me to the list of people who think the interior of the Modern Line is just gross. Couldn't live with an interior that's the colour of tinned tuna, and that wrinkly wood would do my head in!

Last edited by RobUK; 06-24-2012 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #11
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0d SE Titanium Silver

Looks like i "may" be the first to tick the se poll above, test drive one on Friday.

Was going to get a 318i msport as they are doing good deals in the uk on the outgoing e92 at present, but I can not bring myself to trade down from a 330D e92, its too big a leap.

Getting a good deal on what I think is a cancelled order for a

Glacier Silver
Black Dakota Leather
18" Light Alloy Wheels v-spoke style 398
Automatic Gearbox
Sport Steering Wheel
Brushed Aluminium Trim
Electric Front Seats + Driver Memory
Seat Heating Front
Black Panel Display
Headlining Anthracite
Advanced Parking Package
Media Package - BMW Business (Sat Nav, Bluetooth, USB, BMW Connected Drive)

Need to take her out on Friday for a test drive....would prefer an msport and may, today ahead of the test drive hit another dealer and see if they can provide an msport for similar money.
Appreciate 0