F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First trip - can't believe my luck.. or lack of it
GetBMWParts

03-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d msport 2016

Unhappy First trip - can't believe my luck.. or lack of it

Collected my brand new 330d 3 weeks ago (it has around 900km) and today was the day for the big trip (around 300km).

While driving driving the car, approximately 60 km away from destination, I couldn't stop thinking how amazing the car is and that this must have been the best drive I've ever had. Then, while overtaking a truck I see a stone (or stones) for a split second in front of me and then bang! it hits the windshield.. It took me a couple of minutes to realize what has happened and when I did, I stopped the car in a safe and lit place to check the damage. 3 tiny dots just near the top of the windshield from the drivers side.

It was so so painful, I've had difficulty continuing the drive as I was extremely frustrated and couldn't stop thinking of it (few seconds after I stopped, I saw the truck that I overtook being chased by police.. not sure what to make of that).

After arriving at my destination I've made a quick turn as I was in a hurry to see the damage under a bright light, bang... I go out to check my wheel, and what I see? I kerbed the wheel. I was so disappointed, upset and frustrated. A brand new car, on its first trip and now it looks like a 3 year old car. It's hard to describe the feeling.

Now, trying to figure out what's fixable and what not. With regard to the windshield, I don't think a dot sized mark (actually 3) can be fixed, is that right?

As for the wheel, when I collected the car my dealer told me that those wheels look great but cannot be repaired in case of some damage (it's the 19" M Light alloy wheels Double-spoke style 442 M Bicolour Orbit Grey metallic). Is that correct?

You can see the damage of the wheel in the attached image.

Now I need to try to sleep..
Attached Images

Last edited by charpour; 03-02-2016 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Windshield pits can be fixed quickly and easily, literally in minutes. I got one the first week I had my car, and fixed it myself with a kit made for that purpose. In the US if your insurance has glass coverage the insurance will usually pay for it with no deductible, as it's a lot cheaper to do that than not fix it, which could eventually lead to a cracked windshield that would have to be replaced.
I don't see structural damage to the wheel, those gouges would have to go much deeper to be a concern. I'd use touch up paint on them and not worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:51 AM   #3
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

Man that sounds like a bummer for sure. Windshield chips or scratches can usually be fixed but the result may not be perfect depending on how deep it is. If it's not right there in your field of vision then just do your best to ignore any blemishes still visible after repairs.

Curb rash on wheels are cosmetic damage for the most part and can usually be repaired quite easily. Deep gouges and cracks are where I would be more concerned. In your case I can barely see any real damage, just a few nicks really. A bit of touch up paint will do as long as you don't dwell on them too much. Otherwise a wheel repair shop will probably take care of it for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 02:00 AM   #4
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

These wheels can definitely be repaired. The dealer is part right in that there is a limit to the number of times a diamond cut alloy can be repaired (some say only once) but a good wheel repair place could advise you better.

I have had 19" diamond cut alloys repaired recently with worse damage than yours. If you only have damaged one wheel it's not that bad. Costs in UK money are @£70-£90 per wheel for a complete refurb and repaint.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 02:33 AM   #5
ErkanTR16
64-bit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
This sucks... But it is definitely repairable as mentioned above.

Greetings from your Komşu /γείτονας.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 03:41 AM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

That does suck / I've been there recently too. I got some rock chips on the a-bahn immediately when I picked up my M3 from Welt and I curb a wheel while in a rush leaving a parking garage.

You get over it pretty quickly and return to enjoying the car.

Also, no one notices those things but you. It is still a shiny new car to everyone else
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 05:21 AM   #7
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Look at the bright side, you've now had your first "events" with the car. From here on out it's just ownership Those aren't major and can get touched up.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

I would check to see if there was a police report for the truck they chased. Sounds to me like he had an "unsecured load", an uncovered bed or whatever. Maybe you (or your insurance) can get reimbursed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #9
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Sucks big time, but you know it was going to happen eventually. Definitely get the glass checked out though. A repair company can fill the chips with epoxy to keep themfrom developing into actual cracks.

I'm pretty sure I've managed to curb all 4 wheels by now. The funny thing is that it's usually self-inflicted by trying to park too close to curbs in order to avoid door dings. Choose your poison, I guess. I just let a thick coating of brake dust build up on the wheels to hide my shame because god knows I'm going to curb another one tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz
Windshield pits can be fixed quickly and easily, literally in minutes. I got one the first week I had my car, and fixed it myself with a kit made for that purpose. In the US if your insurance has glass coverage the insurance will usually pay for it with no deductible, as it's a lot cheaper to do that than not fix it, which could eventually lead to a cracked windshield that would have to be replaced.
I don't see structural damage to the wheel, those gouges would have to go much deeper to be a concern. I'd use touch up paint on them and not worry about it.
What kit fixes this???! I need this now

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
I've used RainX repair kit 3 times on 2 different cars. Works well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #12
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I've curbed 2 of my wheels now. Dealer said they can send them out for repair at ~$100 to ~$150 each wheel. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #13
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
I've used RainX repair kit 3 times on 2 different cars. Works well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
Purchased

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sorry about that

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #15
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

the window can be repaired. your insurance will not replace the screen unless it is deemed dangerous, I.E cracked.

you can however have a smart repair done on it. you may still see some of the damage but it will be reduced and it will stengthen the glass around where the stone hit and reduce the chance of a crack. most insurers do this for free.

as regards the wheel they are diamond cuts, so to be pristine again it will have to be cut back. this procedure can be risky as the underlying base coat on this type of wheel where the diamon finnish meats the painted part of the inner spokes can come through. and it looks stupid if it does.

if its not too deep which it doesnt look like it is then that area can be sanded back by a good wheel refurbisher. it wont be * perfect * but you wouldnt notice.

if you go for a respray of the wheel entirely youl need to the the other wheels aswell or it will look daft.

sorry to hear about this mess. if it helps someone side swiped my car while it was parked up the first week i bought it. a new door, wing + associated parts were required.

never found the guy who did it :/
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #16
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

Windshield pits and a bit of curb rash... sucks but you will be okay!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #17
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

First of all, I'd like to thank each one of you for your replies, suggestions and encouraging words! It has helped so much!

I got a second opinion on the wheel damage and the guy told me, there is no way to fix diamond cuts, or to cover it somehow (he said whatever you put on it it will come off). I didn't like what I heard to be honest..

After I washed the car, the damage on the wheel doesn't look *that* bad, but it's still quite visible. It's definitely not deep.

Attached some pictures after I washed the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #18
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
That does suck / I've been there recently too. I got some rock chips on the a-bahn immediately when I picked up my M3 from Welt and I curb a wheel while in a rush leaving a parking garage.

You get over it pretty quickly and return to enjoying the car.

Also, no one notices those things but you. It is still a shiny new car to everyone else
Really sorry to hear that.. I know how it feels and how much it sucks.. especially on the M3.

Hope everything looks as good as new now.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #19
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
I would check to see if there was a police report for the truck they chased. Sounds to me like he had an "unsecured load", an uncovered bed or whatever. Maybe you (or your insurance) can get reimbursed.
Good idea, I'll definitely do this! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #20
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Sucks big time, but you know it was going to happen eventually. Definitely get the glass checked out though. A repair company can fill the chips with epoxy to keep themfrom developing into actual cracks.

I'm pretty sure I've managed to curb all 4 wheels by now. The funny thing is that it's usually self-inflicted by trying to park too close to curbs in order to avoid door dings. Choose your poison, I guess. I just let a thick coating of brake dust build up on the wheels to hide my shame because god knows I'm going to curb another one tomorrow.
Exactly my thoughts.. there are so many ways to get the wheels kerbed, especially those who're very careful in orde to avoid door dings.. so true.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #21
wakdady
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i3

bad luck man!
in my opinion, not that you're asking, do not repair the wheel.
just live with it.
once you repair it the finish typically is not the same and it will peel and generally not last as long as the oe finish. clearly, some repairs are better than others, but i wouldn't do it unless there were a lot more marks on it and it really needed to be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #22
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipnoob86 View Post
the window can be repaired. your insurance will not replace the screen unless it is deemed dangerous, I.E cracked.

you can however have a smart repair done on it. you may still see some of the damage but it will be reduced and it will stengthen the glass around where the stone hit and reduce the chance of a crack. most insurers do this for free.

as regards the wheel they are diamond cuts, so to be pristine again it will have to be cut back. this procedure can be risky as the underlying base coat on this type of wheel where the diamon finnish meats the painted part of the inner spokes can come through. and it looks stupid if it does.

if its not too deep which it doesnt look like it is then that area can be sanded back by a good wheel refurbisher. it wont be * perfect * but you wouldnt notice.

if you go for a respray of the wheel entirely youl need to the the other wheels aswell or it will look daft.

sorry to hear about this mess. if it helps someone side swiped my car while it was parked up the first week i bought it. a new door, wing + associated parts were required.

never found the guy who did it :/
That's almost the same thing a "wheel" expert told me, that it's risky to fix it due to the reason you described. He skipped the part that if it's not too deep it can be sanded back though. Hopefully that's doable as the damage doesn't look too deep. I don't really mind if it's not perfect, just not to be visible is all I care about, that is, to have to look for it in order to see it.

As for the last part, I'm really sorry to hear what happened to your car during the first week. I can't even start to imagine how that must have felt. Did they do a good job replacing the parts?
Appreciate 0