F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Sport automatic -- 2TB do it!
GetBMWParts

12-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #111
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkydunc View Post
Hi, this is my first post here!

I have had a 330e for a couple of months now. Rather stupidly I assumed it was a sports auto box as it came with paddles. I don't so much mind the speed with which the gears change up, but the guessing game, entering a corner and manually changing down a gear is infuriating. The delay between clicking the paddle and the gear changing is ridiculous! Plus I don't like how mid corner it still insists on choosing to kick down in to a lower gear.

Will the coding change improve this?

How straight forward is it to do yourself ? I have ordered a cable. I have also been quoted £160 for someone else to do it for me.

So I have a cable on order, I know I need the software and a token? Where is the best place to get this?

Any advice appreciated.
Are you sure you don't have Sports or Sports+ mode right now?
      12-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #112
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:

I have had a 330e for a couple of months now. Rather stupidly I assumed it was a sports auto box as it came with paddles. I don't so much mind the speed with which the gears change up, but the guessing game, entering a corner and manually changing down a gear is infuriating. The delay between clicking the paddle and the gear changing is ridiculous! Plus I don't like how mid corner it still insists on choosing to kick down in to a lower gear.

How straight forward is it to do yourself ? I have ordered a cable. I have also been quoted £160 for someone else to do it for me.

So I have a cable on order, I know I need the software and a token? Where is the best place to get this?

Any advice appreciated.
It is very straightforward process. You can get it done for less than 160 as well.

2TE is what you likely have rather than 2TB.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #113
Funkydunc
Rep
Drives: 330e M-Sport

The car has Sport and Sport + but BMW have confirmed that 330e's don't have Sport automatic.

My only concern is that the changing to Sport auto could somehow damage the drivetrain i.e. The seamless integration of motor and engine in Sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #114
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The car has Sport and Sport + but BMW have confirmed that 330e's don't have Sport automatic.

My only concern is that the changing to Sport auto could somehow damage the drivetrain i.e. The seamless integration of motor and engine in Sport mode?
2TB is not a valid option for F15 xdrive40e or F30 330e; instead they get 2TE. E-sys will allow you to VO code 2TB, but I am unsure whether this will negatively compromise the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #115
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Any advice appreciated.
We can help you for a fraction of the cost
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 05:24 AM   #116
Funkydunc
Rep

Ok I have my cable and managed to connect to the car and downloaded data to my laptop. All so good.

Then I get confused....

Where do I look for 2TE? (which I am pretty certain the 330e is)

Reading this thread it is in FA? But that is in the Vehicle Order tree, where as all the guides say to modify the SVT tree?

Is it in the Vehicle Order tree or in the SVT tree?

Sorry for being such a numpty :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #117
MrMarvin
electrified
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330e -17

Quote:
Ok I have my cable and managed to connect to the car and downloaded data to my laptop. All so good.

Then I get confused....

Where do I look for 2TE? (which I am pretty certain the 330e is)

Reading this thread it is in FA? But that is in the Vehicle Order tree, where as all the guides say to modify the SVT tree?

Is it in the Vehicle Order tree or in the SVT tree?

Sorry for being such a numpty :-)
330e cant be coded to sport auto, there was a person that previously tried to code this earlier but there was no difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #118
Funkydunc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvin View Post
330e cant be coded to sport auto, there was a person that previously tried to code this earlier but there was no difference.
They coded SAT, is that the 2TE to 2TB coding bit?

I know it wont get launch control, I am not concerned about that. I just want to get rid of the very laggy gear change.....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #119
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
They coded SAT, is that the 2TE to 2TB coding bit?

I know it wont get launch control, I am not concerned about that. I just want to get rid of the very laggy gear change.....
Correct you will not get launch control as parameters is not found in EGS.

Not sure whether 2TB should be coded or it will fix your concerns, but I do know xdrive40e's that coded 2TB.

2TB coding affects both drivetrain, enables Sports+, and shows dash S1, S2, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 04:36 AM   #120
Funkydunc
Rep

Well I worked out how to change the code, it is indeed the FA tree you change.

Result:

It does work (after one very short test drive)! Although in some respects it is a subtle change.

In Auto and Eco Pro/Comfort on E power (driving very conservatively) it almost feels very slightly smoother.

In sport/+ modes and manual it is much better. It stays in the gear you select rather than changing down automatically (the biggest problem I had). Gear changes although not instant are just a bit crisper. You just feel that you are in charge of the gear selection where as previously it was just disconnected.

Its not a DSG box so it is never going to be instant, but the coding is an improvement in my opinion for the 330e
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #121
MrMarvin
electrified
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330e -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Correct you will not get launch control as parameters is not found in EGS.

Not sure whether 2TB should be coded or it will fix your concerns, but I do know xdrive40e's that coded 2TB.

2TB coding affects both drivetrain, enables Sports+, and shows dash S1, S2, etc.
All of which the 330e comes with as standard!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 10:59 PM   #122
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvin View Post
All of which the 330e comes with as standard!
Because it has 2TE.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #123
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Anyone on here that installed the paddles and had to re-wire and run to the FEM care to comment/help?

I have a buddy who is in the process of the install (I will be installing paddles myself in a few weeks) and we are running into a snag.
Paddles are installed and car is coded but the paddles wont work.

Looks like 2 wires are required for the install but per the DIY PDF, it looks like just one wire is run from the A83*2B PIN#3 (in SW) to the A173*7B Pin#5 (In FEM) correct? So what is the second wire used for? The wire isn’t long enough to go from SW on drivers side to FEM on passenger side so do I assume 2 wires are needed to be joined to make the distance?

Any advice or better step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #124
TERHOG
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e Sport 2016

Hi, I'm very interested of this mode too so could you Funkudunc send me instructions how to, what is needed and where to get cable and software, thanks ����

I had earlier xDrive 320i and it shifted really fast in sport mode with paddles but my new 330e is very slow though it has paddles and sport+ mode.

bt. Terho
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #125
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Did the paddle retrofit over the weekend, details on my thread! Page 3

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1304793
Appreciate 2
4lss16.50
      03-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #126
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

I had the Sport Auto coded yesterday (along with list of other items). First impressions.... loving it! It feels snappier and more confident in terms of dropping gears and up-shifting as well.

I know there has been tons of discussion in terms of it actually changes the shift speeds.... all I can say is that it feels "less hesitant" and it feels like it snaps to the gear. Best example or my brief driving was when slowing down (in comfort mode) and the non-SAT would downshift ... previously it felt like the RPMs would "float slightly". With the sport auto, it felt like "locks on" the desired RPM quicker.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #127
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

Has anyone coded the SAT after having a Dinan Stage 1 tuner put on? I had the Dinan Stage 1 tuner put on my 2015 320i and am curious as to if the tuner has any impact on the SAT good or bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #128
zaynn786
Rep
Drives: F30 XDrive 335d

Hi all,

New to this coding and reading through I'm still a bit confused. I have a 2014 320d MSport xDrive, with no paddle shifters, but when pushing the gear selector to the left I do get S1, S2 etc and also have Sport+ as standard. Do I have SAT? On a VIN check, it only says Auto Transmission. Is there still any benefit me coding via FDL if I don't have SAT?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #129
luntik
Enlisted Member
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320ix -> 330ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaynn786 View Post
Hi all,

New to this coding and reading through I'm still a bit confused. I have a 2014 320d MSport xDrive, with no paddle shifters, but when pushing the gear selector to the left I do get S1, S2 etc and also have Sport+ as standard. Do I have SAT? On a VIN check, it only says Auto Transmission. Is there still any benefit me coding via FDL if I don't have SAT?

Thanks in advance
It doesn't matter if you have S1, S2 etc and Sport+
What do you have in your FA? When you checked your VIN, what did you see, 2TB or 205?

I think you don't have SAT because "Auto Transmission" means 205 code
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #130
zaynn786
Rep
Drives: F30 XDrive 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by luntik View Post
It doesn't matter if you have S1, S2 etc and Sport+
What do you have in your FA? When you checked your VIN, what did you see, 2TB or 205?

I think you don't have SAT because "Auto Transmission" means 205 code
You're right, I don't have SAT. I've coded via FDL and activated sports transmission instead of VO coding. I can definitely feel a difference, or it's just a placebo. Is there anything I can do to confirm I have coded it properly?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #131
fhlh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
You're right, I don't have SAT. I've coded via FDL and activated sports transmission instead of VO coding. I can definitely feel a difference, or it's just a placebo. Is there anything I can do to confirm I have coded it properly?
This time around I just change the SAT to 2TB and honestly, I don't like it. I think I will VO code back to SAT and FDL like I did the first time.... dunno, the instruction on how to do all this are all over the place IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #132
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhlh View Post
Quote:
This time around I just change the SAT to 2TB and honestly, I don't like it. I think I will VO code back to SAT and FDL like I did the first time.... dunno, the instruction on how to do all this are all over the place IMHO.
You definitely want to VO code it.