F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Swap on 2018 M-340i
Studio RSR

01-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
alexdeco
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Tire Swap on 2018 M-340i

Hi everyone,

I just leased a 340i from LA but I live in the PNW where we get freezing rain and occasional snow. Problem is the car comes with staggered RFT summer performance Potenzas (225/40/19 and 255/35/19 on 403M) whereas I need at least all seasons to drive here.

I've yet to find someone in Seattle with performance all season RFTs for the car, and no one is willing to swap my tires with credit for the original tires. Has anyone been in this boat before? Suggestions?
The car needs to be returned with RFTs at the end of the lease. I am also out of storage space so I'm looking for the quickest/cheapest solution to get rid of the original tires before they hit the road.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

Run flats are a pretty penny. Honestly, the best thing to do...is maybe purchase a different set of wheels of your liking, and throw some all seasons on those. When it's time to lease...sell your A/S tires and throw the OEM's with run flats back on. I traveled to Seattle recently on bald run-flat S001's and they did surprisingly well. You'll notice quite the difference though between the stiffer sidewalled RF's and all seasons. Just a heads up.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
alexdeco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksigned View Post
Run flats are a pretty penny. Honestly, the best thing to do...is maybe purchase a different set of wheels of your liking, and throw some all seasons on those. When it's time to lease...sell your A/S tires and throw the OEM's with run flats back on. I traveled to Seattle recently on bald run-flat S001's and they did surprisingly well. You'll notice quite the difference though between the stiffer sidewalled RF's and all seasons. Just a heads up.
I appreciate your input but I don't have storage space to keep tires for the duration of the lease. And buying a set of tires and wheels for a leased car isn't a financially sound decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

There are multiple options to consider but none of them are inexpensive.

Tirerack shows only one RFT tire in OEM size: Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat.

You need at the very least all season tires to drive safely.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
alexdeco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
There are multiple options to consider but none of them are inexpensive.

Tirerack shows only one RFT tire in OEM size: Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat.

You need at the very least all season tires to drive safely.
That's right all season RFTs are super rare.

I just need to find someone willing to take my original tires and do a swap with credit. Most places only sell even if the tires are brand new.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

This challenge is not an easy one. Your best bet is to sell the original tires privately to someone who needs good tires for lease return. But of course you have to buy replacement tire first and then store original tires until the sale is complete.

BTW, I still have an almost new 19" winter wheels / tires set in my garage in SoCal. It's difficult to sell winter tires in SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
alexdeco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
This challenge is not an easy one. Your best bet is to sell the original tires privately to someone who needs good tires for lease return. But of course you have to buy replacement tire first and then store original tires until the sale is complete.

BTW, I still have an almost new 19" winter wheels / tires set in my garage in SoCal. It's difficult to sell winter tires in SoCal.
Same here selling summer performance tires at this time of the year is harder than shipping nukes to North Korea.

I thought I scored the perfect lease until I found out the car came with summer tires (dealer is in LA).
Appreciate 0