F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Smelly AC
proTUNING Freaks

02-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #23
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Popped the hood, could NOT see where the filter could be at all

and it's not even mentioned in the manual.... as if they didn't want us to mess with it?

I am over 17k miles, smelled a few months ago already.
I found some info on how to clean the AC evaporator for an older BMW.

http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/AC/smell.htm

It looks pretty complicated. I'm just going to check the cabin filter and do the "Dryer Sheet" trick along with the "spraying Lysol into the intake" trick.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #24
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

From RealOEM.com

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post

It looks pretty complicated. I'm just going to check the cabin filter and do the "Dryer Sheet" trick along with the "spraying Lysol into the intake" trick.

That's what i was exactly fearing... an overly complicated process just to remove / access to the cabin air filter (something that should have been design with easy access in mind since they knew you would have to replace it periodically...) (and why didn't bmw just spray anti-mold during assembly ???)

Anyways, i performed these procedures on my E36.
So when i bought my F30, i was hoping that BMW would have learned the lesson and put the cabin filter in a much more accessible location.

Damn it!

Well if anyone of you want to spray through the vent (downstream up)

Here's the schematic:

1, 2, 3, (and 5, 6) are for the head/body vents

7, 8 are for the front foot wells

11, 4 are for the rear passengers

both 13 are for the rear passenger foot wells
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #26
weixp386
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i & 2011 318i

Quote:
So this week, my AC all of sudden started to reek on all settings. Is there a way to fix this?
there might be a dead rat cooking on ur engine... it happened to a friend
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #27
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

For the past few days I've been running the fan full blast at 84 degree heat and Air circulation from the outside. The smell has gone away for now. But I also bought a can of Lysol just in case.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #28
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep

I haven't test it out but maybe this would help:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776885
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #29
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport

Any luck? I think the chemical cleaning route is the only option. Just got the stinky smell as well, so looking at current options. I think the best solution is to take out cabin air filter, then use this to clean out evaporator:
http://amzn.com/B0002Z2MKO

I'll update the thread if I have any luck.

If this occurs again after cleaning, maybe a kit from this company would be best? Anyone had this done?

http://www.dwd2.com/
      07-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #30
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Quote:

Yeah same thing happened to me in my 316ti after a few years of use. It's an awful Vinegar like smell!! What we had to do was to spray, and circulate Lysol through the a/c inside intake until it finally went. I took a few cans well, but never reoccurred after that.

I think it could be caused by passengers with stinky feet, lol.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #31
misterjim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
I had this on my E46 and was told to do the following by a tech (and it does work)...

Turn the AC up to max temp and put the fan on full, and leave for 20 minutes. Then turn the temp down to min and leave for another 20 minutes. This kills the bacteria that cause the smell.

There are also commercial products that kill off the bacteria, but this is free and worth a try first.
So should the a/c be on internal circulation or should it be drawing fresh air from the outside?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #32
JUSTIN808
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X4MC, 22 Ridgeline RTLE.

I personally noticed it starts to smell only after an air freshener is added. Do you guys use air fresheners.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 12:52 AM   #33
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep

I found the solution and i resolved this problem on my car!! I will tell you in the morning how i did it...

I wrote a long post on my phone, but it got deleted by mistake and i am too tired to type it again now...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #34
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep

The solution!!!

I have not put any air freshener in my car ever since i got this car, so i dont think thats the issue at all.

As amtter of fact, i know exactly what the issue and the culprid of this problem, since i have COMPLETELY removed the smell ENTIRELY from my car.

My pregnant wife's nose can attest of it, and do not let your dealership tell you otherwise:
The problem and source of this bad smell comes from the condensation and the moisture trapped in the cabin air filter.

Now i have shared this problem with my dealership and requested that my filter be changed.
They did it unwillingly saying that it would not solve the problem, and they are right, they usually go on to say that you need to perform a $300 cleaning procedure of the entire HVAC system to get rid of it, BUT THATS WHERE THEY ARE WRONG!

I DID IT MYSELF USING A SIMPLE, EASY AND CHEAP PRODUCT, and my car now is odorless for over six month!!!

Merber NUMBER above was right, use LYSOL! Simple as that.

But you gotta use it at the right spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofcross View Post
Any luck? I think the chemical cleaning route is the only option. Just got the stinky smell as well, so looking at current options. I think the best solution is to take out cabin air filter, then use this to clean out evaporator:
http://amzn.com/B0002Z2MKO

I'll update the thread if I have any luck.

If this occurs again after cleaning, maybe a kit from this company would be best? Anyone had this done?

http://www.dwd2.com/
The first product you mentionned in your post is excellent, but it just cheaper to use Lysol and you dont have to spray it everywhere in your car vents conducts.

THE SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM IS AS FOLLOWED:

At your next opportunity, change your cabin air filter, but before installing it you gotta spray PROFUSELY on both side of the filter. Its gotta be practically soaking wet. (Hold your jokes)

When doing so, make sure you are protecting yourself and not inhalling this product, i recommend you do this in a well vented area, if not outside in your garden or simething.

Once done you gotta leave the filter in a shaded, but well ventilated area to dry for at least half a day or even a full day/night.

After which you are ready to put that sucker in. MAKE SURE TO PUT the filter in following the flow direction, just check how your old filter was oriented and placed, there should be an arrow indicating the flow direction.

Tighten everything and you are ready to use. The first couple of days will smell like lysol, so i suggest blowing the fan to your foot area during that time to avoid receiving all in your face.

I ComPLETELY AND HAVE ENTIRELY got rid of the bad smell from my car. Am so happy to be driving for the past 6month with the AC on amd Off without a faint of that odor.

Proud to have an odorless car now.

And we dont even have to recirculate or vent the car after each use... none of that.

As a joke, my wife and i we sometimes say we miss having the bad smell, it gave our car character... lol

Enjoy and we hope this helps you.

Remember, this shouldnt cost you more that $10, or $70 if you include a fancy filter...

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 07-10-2014 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #35
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

easier to keep the AC button on....dousing your cabin filter with lysol seems like an odd solution.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #36
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
easier to keep the AC button on....dousing your cabin filter with lysol seems like an odd solution.
That sounds great for the lungs...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #37
andrew 330i
it can never be too clean...
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 M Sport Wagon

~ turn off the 're-circulating air' button 5 minutes before you shut the car off to get the moisture out of the system.

kw v1 coilover kit / 19" staggered 351 M double spoke wheels / upper strut bar /
sport line grille & exhaust tips / 50% tint / painted reflectors / debadged / complete clear bra
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #38
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

I had an issue like this, brought it to the dealer and they couldn't replicate. They did some type of "clean" in the heat/ac system. No issues now. Perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #39
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport

I actually did use the product very recently, and I can attest that it works. Follow the instructions in the can, and two days later, the pre-AC air is stink free (just a hint of citrus smell from the product).

Only downside is that you have to take the cabin filter out, and that was challenging for me because you have to contort your body to reach down there. I'm a big guy and I didn't know what I was doing, so it took a while. But well worth the work tbh.

I'll try your tip next time, if it comes back. Just wanted to leave a review on the product I used. I do not see that as the cause of my problem this time because my cabin air filter was change maybe 2 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
I have not put any air freshener in my car ever since i got this car, so i dont think thats the issue at all.

As amtter of fact, i know exactly what the issue and the culprid of this problem, since i have COMPLETELY removed the smell ENTIRELY from my car.

My pregnant wife's nose can attest of it, and do not let your dealership tell you otherwise:
The problem and source of this bad smell comes from the condensation and the moisture trapped in the cabin air filter.

Now i have shared this problem with my dealership and requested that my filter be changed.
They did it unwillingly saying that it would not solve the problem, and they are right, they usually go on to say that you need to perform a $300 cleaning procedure of the entire HVAC system to get rid of it, BUT THATS WHERE THEY ARE WRONG!

I DID IT MYSELF USING A SIMPLE, EASY AND CHEAP PRODUCT, and my car now is odorless for over six month!!!

Merber NUMBER above was right, use LYSOL! Simple as that.

But you gotta use it at the right spot!

The first product you mentionned in your post is excellent, but it just cheaper to use Lysol and you dont have to spray it everywhere in your car vents conducts.

THE SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM IS AS FOLLOWED:

At your next opportunity, change your cabin air filter, but before installing it you gotta spray PROFUSELY on both side of the filter. Its gotta be practically soaking wet. (Hold your jokes)

When doing so, make sure you are protecting yourself and not inhalling this product, i recommend you do this in a well vented area, if not outside in your garden or simething.

Once done you gotta leave the filter in a shaded, but well ventilated area to dry for at least half a day or even a full day/night.

After which you are ready to put that sucker in. MAKE SURE TO PUT the filter in following the flow direction, just check how your old filter was oriented and placed, there should be an arrow indicating the flow direction.

Tighten everything and you are ready to use. The first couple of days will smell like lysol, so i suggest blowing the fan to your foot area during that time to avoid receiving all in your face.

I ComPLETELY AND HAVE ENTIRELY got rid of the bad smell from my car. Am so happy to be driving for the past 6month with the AC on amd Off without a faint of that odor.

Proud to have an odorless car now.

And we dont even have to recirculate or vent the car after each use... none of that.

As a joke, my wife and i we sometimes say we miss having the bad smell, it gave our car character... lol

Enjoy and we hope this helps you.

Remember, this shouldnt cost you more that $10, or $70 if you include a fancy filter...
      07-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #40
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
No smell of lysol whatsoever after two days...

.... and to this day, nothing at all!

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 07-10-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #41
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Reminds me of when my F30 was brand spanking new. With all the glues, plastics, etc the interior of the car was off-gassing so much I'd get a splitting headache if I left the A/C on recirculate. New car smell may be 'nice' but it's also highly toxic.

Quote:
The researchers found more than 275 different chemicals in the interiors of cars. Some chemicals of concern include bromine from brominated flame retardants (BFRs) which are added to plastics to make them less flammable, chlorine used for polyvinyl chloride (PVC) used for plastics and windshields, lead, and heavy metals.
Appreciate 1
Katin134.00
      05-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #42
afterace
Registered
Rep
Drives: '14 320d xDrive Modern Line

I have encountered a similiar issue on my F30 recently - I couldn't get out the bad smell coming from the HVAC at startup, AC on or off. I tried spraying different chemicals into the circuit, as well as getting the AC cleaned up by the workshop - nothing could work as the smell came back after few days. I even replaced the cabin filter twice just to be sure. It turned out the water ducts between the front wheel arches and the front firewall were totally clogged up and the water stayed there for months. Got those unclogged and the problem is gone now.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #43
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Try this:

* Start engine, open the hood
* Open all windows and moon roof
* Run aircon on maximum flow & maximum heat for a couple of minutes
* Spray a disinfectant (like Lysol) into the aircon air intake for 15-30 seconds
* Let aircon run for another couple of minutes

The Lysol will kill any mold/bacterial growth in the system. Use a real disinfectant, not just an air freshener.

That has worked wonders for me in the past in my Z4 with aircon systems that started smelling like dirty socks.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:53 PM   #44
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

My car smelled and I left the heater on for about 1 week :rofl: no seriously, bascially whenever i drove the car, i had the heater on with windows open.
It was uncomfortable but it was needed so my car does not smell like feet when I have passengers.

The smell has gone away but i still left my fan on (no heater) 24/7 unless i need to turn on AC.

Basically there is always some kind of air coming out of the AC vents, so it does not give time for the bacteria to build up.
Appreciate 0