F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Deactivating F30 Start Stop by default
GetBMWParts

03-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #23
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
Again, this can be done in the coding using NCSExpert and the D-CAN cable. However, it WILL through a red flag when you go into the dealer, and they can void your warranty if they so choose. Is it really that difficult to press the button?
Warranty void, not likely.

Unless specifically stated in your warranty manual, this is not likely to happen. Turning off a system that can be turned off is not a "mod" per se.
I'm not saying that your warranty -will- be voided, I'm just saying that in the past any modifications using the D-CAN cable and NCS Expert software have been frowned upon since you have the ability to severely damage your vehicle if you don't know what you're doing.
      03-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #24
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew
I think the system will not shutdown if you have the when turned off center, as if you are preparing to turn right on red or enter a roundabout. Cannot confirm as I do not have F30 yet.

We actually had a roundabout installed in our area recently. It really relieves pressure during rush hour at this intersection without the need for a traffic light that would back things up the rest of the time. I wonder if this experiment will lead to more instances.
Yes, it relieves pressure during the day. Then within 2 Years some bloke and his poor family will get wiped out at night and then the lights go up again. Then 10 years later the board gets the idea they can improve traffic flow by taking the lights down and improving the roundabout. Then within 2 years later, some bloke and his poor family gets wiped out at night and then the lights go back, and so it repeats indefinitely.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #25
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
Also, there are quite a few variables that have to be met in order for Auto-Off to engage even when it is on. For instance:

If the engine has not yet reached optimal temperature, AO won't engage.

If the outside temperature is below 35 degrees or above 85 degrees Fahrenheit, AO won't engage.

If the front wheels are turned more than [x] degrees, AO won't engage. (I couldn't remember the number.)

If there is too much load on the engine (i.e., AC is at max), AO won't engage.

There were roughly 10-15 circumstances where AO wouldn't activate even if it was left "on".

I don't remember all of them, but there's probably something written more about these exceptions on one of BMW's websites.
Here is the list i have posted numerous times

Stop Start wont engage if :

a) Outside temperature is below 37F (3C)
b) Outside temperature is above 95F (35C)
c) Car interior has not yet cooled or warmd up
d) Engine not yet warmed up (does not have to reach full operating temp)
e) Battery charge low
f) Directly after car was driven in reverse
g) Stering wheel is turned after car has stoped
h) Stop and Go traffic
i) Gear selector in Sport or Manual
j) ABS was activated before stopping
k) Windshield is fogging up
Okay, is anyone willing to jam one of the sensors? For example, what if take some translucent tape - a small piece, and place it over whatever sensor is used to determine there is mist on the windshield?

Next, you would have to disable the auto button on the driver's air condition since auto mode attempts to react and clear the mist.

This way, if the system always thought there was mist on the windshield then it will never enable start stop?

I have no idea if a tiny piece of tape would work over the mist sensor, but you get the idea...just fool one of the minor sensors that has no affect on other systems.

Last edited by BMWrules7; 03-04-2012 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Okay, is anyone willing to jam one of the sensors? For example, what if take some translucent tape - a small piece, and place it over whatever sensor is used to determine their is mist on the windshield?

Next, you would have to disable the auto button on the driver's air condition since auto mode attempts to react and clear the mist.

This way, if the system always thought their was mist on the windshield then it will never enable start stop?

I have no idea if a tiny piece of tape would work over the mist sensor, but you get the idea...just fool one of the minor sensors that has no affect on other systems.
Or just use 2 fingers to start the car
One pressing the start button and the other the stop/start deactivation button right next to it
      03-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #27
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Okay, is anyone willing to jam one of the sensors? For example, what if take some translucent tape - a small piece, and place it over whatever sensor is used to determine there is mist on the windshield?

This way, if the system always thought there was mist on the windshield then it will never enable start stop?

Or just use 2 fingers to start the car
One pressing the start button and the other the stop/start deactivation button right next to it
I am with you. But, so many complain.

There is an element of government intrusion that would make it a tiny victory if we defeat the default auto start stop.

Call me a rebel.

Last edited by BMWrules7; 03-04-2012 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #28
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Ha, I forgot you American's don't have corners other than 90 degrees! They're great fun in a BMW, especially when they're wet . But you can't dawdle on them so Stop/Start is not good.
Actually, roundabouts are becoming more common here in the states. Now if only we could teach drivers how to get through them without crashing.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #29
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
Actually, roundabouts are becoming more common here in the states. Now if only we could teach drivers how to get through them without crashing.
We have 2 types (large outside residential areas and Small inside residential areas)
Each has it own rules ( Give way to the right on the large ones and operate like 4 way stop on the small)

But do you think anyone can get it right ? No
Horns blaring, people screaming every day
      03-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
I don't get why everyone is so annoyed by this.
Because several people have experienced a problem with it. Their engines are sometimes not turning back on. It happened three times while the Motor Trend editors were testing their car. And other forum readers have experienced the same thing.

See thread here: [intlink]655588;F30POST Thread[/intlink]
This. And the fact that it hardly saves any gas.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #31
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
During my test drive, with temps of about 85-86 F outside, the engine turned automatically back on if the temperature became too hot inside so basically it wouldn't have to be deactivated.
awesome! btw you got mojave, how do you like it. I think it's a pretty cool color! I'm waiting to see it with red leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #32
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
The figures I've read say 5% savings. That's a lot. If you drive in stop and go traffic, think about how much time you are stopped with the engine running. It's a lot. Total waste of gas.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #33
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Its main purpose is not to save gas, but lower emissions.
Emissions regulations are driving most of these technologies.
      03-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #34
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Remember, you can start the engine on automatics by pressing the brake harder for a moment. This will let you get the engine started well before you move the foot off the brake to give some gas. I tried this on a 328i.

You are also supposed to be able to stop it from turning off when you stop by doing the same procedure right after stopping but I haven't managed. Both these things are described in the manual (Swedish at least).
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Its main purpose is not to save gas, but lower emissions.
Emissions regulations are driving most of these technologies.
I need to understand this system better.

Ok, after you come to a stop, how long until the engine shuts off when the system is on?

If I come to a stop sign in my neighborhood, I approach, brake, stop. I saw there was no one there as I approached, so I just want to make a complete stop, wheels not moving, and I want to take off quickly. Will the engine shut off once the wheels stop moving, or is there a time frame until the engine shuts off?

I'm wondering because I can see a whole set of scenarios where the engine shutting on and off during stop and go would simply be annoying.

So, I decide to shut it off on EVERY start up. Ok. But then, in what driving scenario would I then chose to leave it on?
And since there is a choice to be made anyway, why have the default set to ON?
Auto on/off is not a mandatory tech, not yet anyway, by the EPA.
So, why not have the default at OFF?

Anyone know if that auto on/off has it's own fuse?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #36
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

Ok, after you come to a stop, how long until the engine shuts off when the system is on?

If I come to a stop sign in my neighborhood, I approach, brake, stop. I saw there was no one there as I approached, so I just want to make a complete stop, wheels not moving, and I want to take off quickly. Will the engine shut off once the wheels stop moving, or is there a time frame until the engine shuts off?

I'm wondering because I can see a whole set of scenarios where the engine shutting on and off during stop and go would simply be annoying.

So, I decide to shut it off on EVERY start up. Ok. But then, in what driving scenario would I then chose to leave it on?
And since there is a choice to be made anyway, why have the default set to ON?

When I tested the auto stop/start, I noticed the engine turn off after an absolute-complete stop. I don't know about your driving habits, but I rarely come to an absolute-complete stop unless I'm at a red light or a stop sign (mostly ). If you haven't test driven the car yet, I encourage you to try it out. When I test drove it, I didn't find the auto stop/start too annoying. My wife couldn't get the auto stop/start to actually work. Hahaha. I guess she never stops.

If it was really annoying, I would find it less stressful to just push the "off" button instead of trying to fake it out with hard braking or turning the wheel or other cheats.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #37
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
It will be mandatory on all European manufacturers soon, thats why most have brought out such a system. Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, VW ect ect, Japanese manufacturers are also rolling it out.

This is also BMW's 2nd Generation system. the 1st was on other euro BMW's for many years.
      03-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #38
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:

With a manual gearbox it will shut off when you are at a complete stop, have put the car in neutral and released the clutch.

With a Automatic if you slow down and keep you foot on the brake it will stop the engine about 2 seconds after you stop completely.

If after you stop you briefly press the brake pedal a bit harder or release it slightly the engine will not stop.
      03-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #39
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
With a manual gearbox it will shut off when you are at a complete stop, have put the car in neutral and released the clutch.

With a Automatic if you slow down and keep you foot on the brake it will stop the engine about 2 seconds after you stop completely.

If after you stop you briefly press the brake pedal a bit harder or release it slightly the engine will not stop.
This was my experience to a T.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #40
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
awesome! btw you got mojave, how do you like it. I think it's a pretty cool color! I'm waiting to see it with red leather.
lol I don't have it yet, it's somewhere between England and Panama on a boat, coming my way

However, when I placed my order, they pulled a 535 series off of the shelves (kind of looks like that, seeing how they literally stack their stock here) that had Mojave with beige to show me how it looked. And, yeah, I feel it's an awesome color indeed, it's much better than most people think it is

Here are some pics I took of the color up close (I made them just to get a feel of the color up close, so you wont see the whole car):

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1...0203112938.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7...0203112930.jpg
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2...0203112846.jpg

(btw, sorry for hijacking the thread ppl lol)

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #41
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

LOL, that would be PERFECT!
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #42
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

I believe Motor Trend reported annoying bucking and such in their 335 tests with start/stop, while the 328 was fine with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #43
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
I believe Motor Trend reported annoying bucking and such in their 335 tests with start/stop, while the 328 was fine with it.
which is funny because some other publications said the opposite.

It's a somewhat annoying technology that we are going to see on more and more cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #44
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
It will be mandatory on all European manufacturers soon, thats why most have brought out such a system. Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, VW ect ect, Japanese manufacturers are also rolling it out.

This is also BMW's 2nd Generation system. the 1st was on other euro BMW's for many years.
Oh, I see. That sucks.
Ok, at some point we'll all just have to learn to live with it.

This is going to suck if you have a dead battery.
Consider that now if your battery is dead, you can get a jump start.
Great, it's running. But, you're going to need some miles before you can even get some juice into your bad batter.
You get a jump, drive off and as soon as you get to the first stop, the engine dies. Great. Now you're blocking traffic while waiting for road side assistance.

But, how about a compromise.
They could at least give us a stopped time setting.
Let's say we can set if for 5 or 10 seconds after stopping.
That way we can come to full short stops at stop signs without needing to restart the engine.
That would be useful, cause if I'm actually stopping for a long enough period to get value from shutting off the engine, then shut if off instead of a 2 count, which is about the time one would wait at a stop sign.
I'd be cool with that.

Yeah, I do need to get a test drive. Maybe it's not as bad as I am picturing it to be.
And, at least I can shut if off at start up. I'll just have to add another button push to the start routine.

BTW, any word on a fuse for the auto on/off annoya....I mean "feature".

Last edited by RPM90; 03-07-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0