F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M-Sport steering wheel quality issue
proTUNING Freaks

06-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
OneMoreEspresso
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i M-Sport

M-Sport steering wheel quality issue

Hi,

Brand new 428i M-Sport owner here. My first BMW and one issue is driving me crazy.

The M-Sport steering wheel central spoke makes annoying creaking noises everytime I touch it:

Somewhat takes away from the premium feeling from owning a BMW. I mean, the steering wheel is such a primary point of contact in the car.

Went to the dealer a couple of times about this, they told me there is nothing they can do as all M-Sport steerings wheels are like this. I even suggested paying for the central spoke part myself - if replacing it will solve the issue. The dealer said to save my money as it won't help.

So, I was wondering, how widespread is this issue? Any way to solve it? Is the central spoke from an M4 (which is metal, right?) compatible? Can I just buy one and replace mine?

Thanks!

Last edited by OneMoreEspresso; 06-29-2016 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Typos...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

I've had my M-Sport 3 years and I don't think I've ever touched that part of the steering wheel. I'm not sure why that would be considered a primary contact point. What are you doing that you regularly need to grasp that part of the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
OneMoreEspresso
Rep

In the video I'm touching the central spoke to provide an example of the creaking noise "on demand", but, sadly, the steering wheel also makes this noise if I just grab the bottom part (near the "M" logo). In all of my previous cars, the steering wheel always felt very "solid" (for a lack of a better word).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreEspresso View Post
In the video I'm touching the central spoke to provide an example of the creaking noise "on demand", but, sadly, the steering wheel also makes this noise if I just grab the bottom part (near the "M" logo). In all of my previous cars, the steering wheel always felt very "solid" (for a lack of a better word).
take it back to the dealer and have them fix it, don't spend money out of your pocket! should be an easy fix under warranty no matter what it takes to fix it.
      06-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #5
OneMoreEspresso
Rep

Thanks, I've been to the dealer twice about this issue. They told me that all M-Sport cars have the same issue and as much as they want to help, they can't.
They said they have checked other cars with the M-Sport steering wheel and reproduced the same issue. Also, because the part is near the airbag, they don't want to "mess" with it too much.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Thanks, I've been to the dealer twice about this issue. They told me that all M-Sport cars have the same issue and as much as they want to help, they can't.
They said they have checked other cars with the M-Sport steering wheel and reproduced the same issue. Also, because the part is near the airbag, they don't want to "mess" with it too much.
maybe you need to go to a different dealer, that seems unacceptable at least to me, did they even show you that other cars also make that noise? I'm pretty sure if everyone had this issue people will be pretty mad, either way hope you get it fixed
      06-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Agree that you should find another dealer. Or send an email to BMWNA and ask for clarification / help.

Especially suspicious about them "not wanting to mess with the airbag". Puh-lease.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/ContactUs/
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

My steering wheel on my 2,000 mile 340 started make a faint clunk noise when I turned the wheel more than 90°.

After they took the wheel - and airbag - off and replaced the $600+ switch cluster and reinstalled the wheel and airbag, no more issue. No charge of course, a warranty issue.

I'm glad I don't have your dealer. Airbag issue indeed, the only airbag issue at your dealership is whoever is talking to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #9
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In that case no I've never noticed this type of creaking from my wheel in the time I've had it (including grabbing it down near the 'M' logo). But I'll see what the center spokes sound like when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #10
OneMoreEspresso
Rep

Thank you guys, but since I've been twice to the dealer and they insist that replacing the part won't solve the issue as all M-Sport steering wheels have creaking plastics.

Before going to another dealer and making a big deal out of this, I was reaching out to see if anyone else with the same steering can comment if this is an issue they experience as well or not.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #11
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I've never noticed my wheel creaking. If you don't have any luck with the dealer, you might try replacing that part with the m-performance CF piece.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #12
abhibrandy1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Gran Coupe

I have the M wheel on my 2015..I have a creaking noise issue from the steering collumn but no complaints from the wheel itself. As others have suggested, take it to another dealer. My breaks used to screech & the dealer told me that this is a known issue which cant be fixed. Two months later, the same dealer fixed it for me (the noise came back in a couple of days). The point is that dealers will say anything to get you off their back.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #13
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Suggest that you return to your dealer. They must have other F3x with M Sport steering wheels that you could test in a similar way for these creaking sounds. If not, drive your car to another dealer and request warranty repairs for your M Sport wheel. These kinds of sounds emanating from your M Sport steering wheel are completely unacceptable.

Last edited by DerekS; 06-28-2016 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #14
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

To follow up, yes if I squeeze the wheel in the locations and manner I see in your video I hear the creaks.

However, I've never heard them from normal driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #15
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

My '14 528 with the same wheel will make the same noise if I push it. I just don't push it and I don't hear the noise.
      06-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #16
OneMoreEspresso
Rep

Thank you BmwFlooner and wrickem. Just to be clear, I'm not applying any measurable force here. Just gripping the steering wheel at different locations.

It's just that I really don't want to waste time with another trip to the dealer (or another dealer) if they will be unable to repair the problem. That's why I was wondering - if other owners don't experience this issue maybe I'll have a case.

I'm not the one to usually complain (and it's a good car overall) but honestly, being my first BMW, this issue alone makes the overall "ownership experience" feel less than premium.
I know it may sound like a small thing, but having the steering wheel plastics flex and creak when you touch them it is not something you expect for a $55K car.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #17
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I wasn't applying an 'excessive' amount of force to reproduce. But at the same time if I didn't go looking for this creak I wouldn't have found it. Touching the wheel the way I normally grip it to drive doesn't make this noise.

Quote:
I'm not the one to usually complain (and it's a good car overall) but honestly, being my first BMW, this issue alone makes the overall "ownership experience" feel less than premium.
Yeah, but it's not perfect, and they've gotta save costs and weight where they can. Go looking for issues and you'll find them.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #18
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Thank you BmwFlooner and wrickem. Just to be clear, I'm not applying any measurable force here. Just gripping the steering wheel at different locations.

It's just that I really don't want to waste time with another trip to the dealer (or another dealer) if they will be unable to repair the problem. That's why I was wondering - if other owners don't experience this issue maybe I'll have a case.

I know it may sound like a small thing, but having the steering wheel plastics flex and creak when you touch them it is not something you expect for a $55K car.
I pretty much agree, and knowing that this plastic piece on the wheel that came on true m-cars was made of metal before it started showing up on m-sport cars made it worse for me. I just don't touch it now and forget all about it. And there's never any fingerprints on mine, so that's a plus
      06-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #19
OneMoreEspresso
Rep

-sigh-

Does anyone know if the part from an M4 will fit? I know it has a hole in it but... will it fit? Are parts from the M-Sport and M3/4 steering wheels interchangeable ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:21 PM   #20
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
-sigh-

Does anyone know if the part from an M4 will fit? I know it has a hole in it but... will it fit? Are parts from the M-Sport and M3/4 steering wheels interchangeable ?
You have to buy both the front and rear covers for it. But yes it'll fit.

The front cover is especially expensive because it is trimmed in leather as well, much like how the BMW Individual and F20 older style M-Sport wheels were trimmed in leather for the centre piece as well.

DECOR TRIM COVER STEERING (front) 32307846029
COVER FOR STEERING WHEEL (back) 32307848270
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #21
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

This is a non issue.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #22
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

Yes, the M Sport steering wheel in mine creaks like that as well when I nudge that area (the center "surround" part around the horn). I noticed it about a month after I got the car and I can confirm another brand new showroom M sport car at my local dealership does it too. The bottom spoke of the wheel is fine though so if you're getting creaks there you might want to try tightening the torx screw on the back.

It is a rarely touched area of the steering wheel so it doesn't bother me that much but I totally understand the annoyance from just knowing that it's there. Perhaps there's a way to lubricate the plastic contact points so it stays silent when flexed?