F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > DWS06 in FL vs...
proTUNING Freaks

01-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

DWS06 in FL vs...

Morning all, I recently purchased and installed a set of Continental DWS06 on my 2015 335i. These tires are very highly rated, even more so than the outgoing model they replaced. My question is, did I make a mistake in buying a high performance all season instead of a high performance summer tire? Obviously there's no snow in FL but we do get quite a bit of rain. I have no issue spending more money or even having the tire wear out quicker if it gets me better grip and handling.

Thoughts on selling the DWS06 and getting PSS/Contisport/VentusV12/S04/etc? Will there be a noticeable difference? I do drive VERY "spirited"!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
Morning all, I recently purchased and installed a set of Continental DWS06 on my 2015 335i. These tires are very highly rated, even more so than the outgoing model they replaced. My question is, did I make a mistake in buying a high performance all season instead of a high performance summer tire? Obviously there's no snow in FL but we do get quite a bit of rain. I have no issue spending more money or even having the tire wear out quicker if it gets me better grip and handling.

Thoughts on selling the DWS06 and getting PSS/Contisport/VentusV12/S04/etc? Will there be a noticeable difference? I do drive VERY "spirited"!
Normally, at least IMO, you buy all seasons for the treadwear, not for snow/ice. Most people do alot of highway miles but still want some of the summer tire benefits without having to go through tires each year, and also the emergency "just in case" it snows randomly or don't have to rush to get your tires swapped out.

If you don't do much KM per year, and have no snow where you are, I would believe dedicated summers would suit you better, though the DWS06 are good tires so I wouldn't worry too much.

Once you run that set of tires to the ground, you can always get PSS or PS4S afterwards.
      01-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Normally, at least IMO, you buy all seasons for the treadwear, not for snow/ice. Most people do alot of highway miles but still want some of the summer tire benefits without having to go through tires each year, and also the emergency "just in case" it snows randomly or don't have to rush to get your tires swapped out.

If you don't do much KM per year, and have no snow where you are, I would believe dedicated summers would suit you better, though the DWS06 are good tires so I wouldn't worry too much.

Once you run that set of tires to the ground, you can always get PSS or PS4S afterwards.
All Seasons perform best in No Seasons.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 12:43 AM   #4
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:

Do the DWS06s not handle well in the rain?
      01-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #5
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

All seasons like those are fine for spirited driving but if you want the absolute best performance get summer tires. The DWS 06 will have better treadwear than all summer tires and better hydroplane resistance than everything but maybe the pilot super sports.

I think at this point just see if you're satisfied. If you're worried about having the absolute best wait til march and get the Pilot Sport 4 S
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 02:25 AM   #6
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
All seasons like those are fine for spirited driving but if you want the absolute best performance get summer tires. The DWS 06 will have better treadwear than all summer tires and better hydroplane resistance than everything but maybe the pilot super sports.

I think at this point just see if you're satisfied. If you're worried about having the absolute best wait til march and get the Pilot Sport 4 S
If you read all the Reputable Independent European 2016 Tyre tests, Continental SportContact 6 outperforms MPSS in all area, including wet performance.

Furthermore, the BMW * (star) MPPS has worse wet handling than the non-star Generic MPSS. Thus one can not assume the BMW * MPSS or future models will perform as well as the generic's test results. The MPSS * are formulated of a slightly harder compound than the generic to give it longer life at the expense of handling.

New M3/M4s are arriving in USA with SC6 instead of MPSS over the past ~60 days - and most tests cars on the Nurburgring have switched to the SC6.

And you are taking a flyer assuming the MPS4 will beat it - especially considering the reputable tests comparing the two will probably not be published for 9-12 months.

At least for 2016-2017, SC6 is king.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      01-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #7
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni
Quote:

I haven't had any issues no
      01-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
If you read all the Reputable Independent European 2016 Tyre tests, Continental SportContact 6 outperforms MPSS in all area, including wet performance.

Furthermore, the BMW * (star) MPPS has worse wet handling than the non-star Generic MPSS. Thus one can not assume the BMW * MPSS or future models will perform as well as the generic's test results. The MPSS * are formulated of a slightly harder compound than the generic to give it longer life at the expense of handling.

New M3/M4s are arriving in USA with SC6 instead of MPSS over the past ~60 days - and most tests cars on the Nurburgring have switched to the SC6.

And you are taking a flyer assuming the MPS4 will beat it - especially considering the reputable tests comparing the two will probably not be published for 9-12 months.

SC6 has this disclaimer:

Quote:
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #9
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:

This is one review against how many other saying the opposite?
      01-05-2017, 07:36 AM   #10
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for all the input. I have NO issues with the DWS6 in wet or dry but if there was a noticeably better summer tire I'd definitely consider switching. After consideration I'm going to stick with what I have.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well in our stock tire sizes I have yet to see Sport contact 6's available. I'm a huge Continental fan but if the tires are not available in the OEM sizes they're irrelevant to me
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Mine have handled great in the rain. Put almost 20000 miles on them with mostly city driving. Tread is still in good shape.
      01-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #13
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
SC6 has this disclaimer:
ROFLMAO

Last time it was 20 in St Pete was last ice age.

And the MPSS lose grip under 50.

Summer tires would give OP MUCH better results.

Last edited by GCinFLA; 01-05-2017 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:04 PM   #14
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
This is one review against how many other saying the opposite?
I challenge you to find ANY reputable reviews of both tires against each other where MPSS won.

SC6 are on the M3s M4s coming into USA for last 60 days for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #15
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well in our stock tire sizes I have yet to see Sport contact 6's available. I'm a huge Continental fan but if the tires are not available in the OEM sizes they're irrelevant to me
Available if you know where to look.

I've already offered to get OP a set...have another set non OEM size (wider) brand new 15 minutes away from him.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #16
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Available if you know where to look.

I've already offered to get OP a set...have another set non OEM size (wider) brand new 15 minutes away from him.
If you have a place in the states cool why don't you let everyone know by posting it here? I love Continental. But your coyness seems un genuine and awkward...
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:43 PM   #17
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you have a place in the states cool why don't you let everyone know by posting it here? I love Continental. But your coyness seems un genuine and awkward...
OP can confirm I tried to assists if he so desires.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

And my contact does not want their info posted in a forum. I spent a great deal of time on web, search engines, emails and phone to locate the source. If you think I am going to burn that source because you want me to, I'm sorry, but that's not happening.

I offered to help OP and I also offered to help a poster in F80 forum who wanted snow tires not commonly available for his 666m. If that's coy and ungeniune, perhaps I should offer to assist no one?

Last edited by GCinFLA; 01-25-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 12:06 AM   #18
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
DWS06....as well as BMW * Version of MPSS are rated B in Europe for wet handling.

The generic version of MPSS and SC6 are rated A in Europe for wet handling.

It's a required rating in EU - sort of like EPA MPG in USA, except the Companies rate themselves.

The grades are in a range.

There are obviously differences in A rated tires and the published independent detailed tests get into the real differences.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 12:31 AM   #19
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
OP can confirm I tried to assists if he so desires.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

And my contact does not want their info posted in a forum. I spent a great deal of time on web, search engines, emails and phone to locate the source. If you think I am going to burn that source because you want me to, I'm sorry, but that's not happening.

I offered to help OP and I also offered to help a poster in F80 forum who wanted snow tires not commonly available for his 666m. If that's coy and ungeniune, perhaps I should offer to assist no one?
That doesn't look like OEM sizes. I'm just saying if the tires were available in OEM sizes they'd be more popular here. Most people have stock wheels and are uninterested in changing tire sizes
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 03:14 AM   #20
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That doesn't look like OEM sizes. I'm just saying if the tires were available in OEM sizes they'd be more popular here. Most people have stock wheels and are uninterested in changing tire sizes
All sizes are available. Your original statement implied that any SC6 was unavailable. I could have just as easily ordered Stock OEM sizes which could have arrived instead of these, just as the M3/M4s landing in the USA over the last 60 days are equipped with.

Yet if you have the BMW Parts Department look it up in their computer, it's not listed....yet.

Just because someone doesn't show them available does not mean they aren't REALLY available.

So stock size or wider than stock size, has no bearing if they would be MORE popular here (USA) as in your premise as neither are shown available in most USA locations.

And very few on bimmerpost seem to want to replace their tires with stock size - as the tire section proves (and the OP does not stock sizes either).
Appreciate 0