F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Request for European F30/31 CAFDs
Extreme Powerhouse

08-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

Garage List
Request for European F30/31 CAFDs

Trying to get glare-free high beam assistant (Blendfreier Fernlichtassistent) working in my US 2014 F31 with Xenon adaptive headlights. I believe i have all the necessary options:

S522A Xenon-Licht
S524A Adaptives Kurvenlicht
S563A Lichtpaket
S5ACA Fernlichtassistent

However, there is increasing evidence that the xenon adaptive headlights for US vehicles are missing a crucial hardware component that allows a dynamic tunnel be created and it is this tunnel that prevents glaring other drivers. Before i go order a set of European xenon adaptive headlights, i would like to explore the potential differences in the CAFDs.

Would owners of 2012-2014 F30/31 in Europe, with working glare-free high beam assistant, be kind enough to share with me some of their CAFDs? I believe HBA-related settings are in the FEM and FLA modules.

These are all the modules in my 2014 F31 (my car does not have the KAFAS camera so i do not have the KAFAS module):

ACSM
AMPT
ASD
DME2
DSC
EGS
EKPM2
EPS
FEM
FLA3
FZD
HC2
HKFM
HU_NBT
ICM
IHKA
KOMBI
LMV_FR
PMA2
REM
SM2
TBX
TCB
TRSVC
VDC1
ZBE3

1. Please post the list of all the modules (also known as ECUs) in your car, like the list above.

2. Please share with me the FEM and FLA CAFDs (these files have the .ncd extension).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 05:48 AM   #2
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

The coding for the enabling HBA + Variable Light Distribution is in the super cheat sheet: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1020138
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
The coding for the enabling HBA + Variable Light Distribution is in the super cheat sheet: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1020138
Right, but what he is missing is European Xenons that have a roller function (giving a true tunneling light effect), which is what he is wanting to order.

But before he orders, he wants to check someone elses CAFDs for parameter changes to prepare he has the right coding beforehand rather than order a set of lights he cannot fully make function. I too would be interested in these CAFDs.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Removing 5AP and 8S4 from the FA and then VO coding FEM and FLA modules, which I have done, does not make it glare-free. This has been tested and verified by myself and several others. The VLD portion appears to be working but the anti-glare portion is not. If you have been using the HBA thinking it's glare-free, you have been glaring other drivers!

Here's a video I made while on a test drive with my wife.

http://youtu.be/0oLkSjh7RLc
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
Right, but what he is missing is European Xenons that have a roller function (giving a true tunneling light effect), which is what he is wanting to order.

But before he orders, he wants to check someone elses CAFDs for parameter changes to prepare he has the right coding beforehand rather than order a set of lights he cannot fully make function. I too would be interested in these CAFDs.
Tunnelling effect, what is that? Maybe it's something I've always taken for granted and not really noticed. I've got Adaptive Xenons + HBA on a UK car. If I have time tonight I'll see what I have, unless your after someone in mainland Europe?

Last edited by kitster; 08-05-2015 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktula View Post
Removing 5AP and 8S4 from the FA and then VO coding FEM and FLA modules, which I have done, does not make it glare-free. This has been tested and verified by myself and several others. The VLD portion appears to be working but the anti-glare portion is not. If you have been using the HBA thinking it's glare-free, you have been glaring other drivers!

Here's a video I made while on a test drive with my wife.

http://youtu.be/0oLkSjh7RLc
Yikes, that is some glare coming from the lights!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tunnelling effect, what is that? Maybe it's something I've always taken for granted and not really noticed. I've got Adaptive Xenons + HBA on a UK car. If I have time tonight I'll see what I have, unless your after someone in mainland Europe?
Hi kitster! When i responded to your post, i was using my iPhone so i wasn't able to see that you're in UK. It's very likely that your Xenon adaptive headlights + HBA is truly glare-free. I have seen a few videos on Youtube made by UK drivers with similar systems and they appeared to be glare-free. If you don't mind putting the list of modules available for your F31 320d, and sharing the CAFDs for the FEM and FLA modules (i assume you don't have the KAFAS camera), that would be wonderful!

I am including a photo showing the label on the right headlight. The label is visible if you pop the hood (or bonnet for you) up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Correct. I don't have the KAFAS camera. I'll up a picture of my light label amd when the kids are down I'll check the for the modules and associated CAFD for FEM and FLA.
Attached Images

Last edited by kitster; 08-05-2015 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Correct. I don't have the KAFAS camera. I'll up a picture of my light label amd when the kids are down I'll check the for the modules and associated CAFD for FEM and FLA.
Terrific, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I have:

ACSM
AMP_TOPHB
DME
DSC
EKPM2
EPS
FEM_BODY
FEM_GW
FLA3
FZD
HKFM
HU_NBT
ICM
IHKA
KOMBI
REM
VDC1
ZBE2

I don't have FEM! But the closest values were:

FEM_BODY = CAFD_00000794_004_122_083
FLA3 = CAFD_000000AE_005_007_006

Note for FLA3, when I read SVT (VCM), it showed no CAFD. I have to calc SWT to reveal the FLA3 CAFD value.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have:

ACSM
AMP_TOPHB
DME
DSC
EKPM2
EPS
FEM_BODY
FEM_GW
FLA3
FZD
HKFM
HU_NBT
ICM
IHKA
KOMBI
REM
VDC1
ZBE2

I don't have FEM! But the closest values were:

FEM_BODY = CAFD_00000794_004_122_083
FLA3 = CAFD_000000AE_005_007_006

Note for FLA3, when I read SVT (VCM), it showed no CAFD. I have to calc SWT to reveal the FLA3 CAFD value.
The list of modules probably won't match up exactly unless our F31 are from the same year, same model and with the same options.

The actual name for the FEM_BODY module for my F31 is FEM_01 but it should be equivalent to the FEM_BODY in your car. To get the .ncd file generated:

- Under Expert mode, go to Coding
- Read SVT
- Go to the FEM_BODY (in my case, FEM_01) module, expand the tree, right click on the CAFD and then select "Read coding data". This will update (if you are doing it the first time, it will create the CAFD_XXXXXX.ncd file in the CAF folder) the CAFD_XXXXX.ncd file in the CAF folder.
- Repeat the same for the FLA3 (aka FLA) module.
- Go to the CAF folder. In my setup, the CAF folder is located in ESysData/CAF. The two modules that you do the "Read coding data" will have the most recent date.

I'll PM you my email address and perhaps you could send them to me via email. Thank you so much for doing this!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #12
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The list of modules probably won't match up exactly unless our F31 are from the same year, same model and with the same options.

The actual name for the FEM_BODY module for my F31 is FEM_01 but it should be equivalent to the FEM_BODY in your car. To get the .ncd file generated:

- Under Expert mode, go to Coding
- Read SVT
- Go to the FEM_BODY (in my case, FEM_01) module, expand the tree, right click on the CAFD and then select "Read coding data". This will update (if you are doing it the first time, it will create the CAFD_XXXXXX.ncd file in the CAF folder) the CAFD_XXXXX.ncd file in the CAF folder.
- Repeat the same for the FLA3 (aka FLA) module.
- Go to the CAF folder. In my setup, the CAF folder is located in ESysData/CAF. The two modules that you do the "Read coding data" will have the most recent date.

I'll PM you my email address and perhaps you could send them to me via email. Thank you so much for doing this!
I think you will likely only find changes in FEM_BODY, since FLA3 is just the camera, shouldn't be controlling the headlamp module. Never hurts to to have both either way I guess. If you do end up finding the differences, would you mind PMing/emailing those CAFDs and/or found changes as well? I'm on verge of doing the same headlamp retrofit as you.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
I think you will likely only find changes in FEM_BODY, since FLA3 is just the camera, shouldn't be controlling the headlamp module. Never hurts to to have both either way I guess. If you do end up finding the differences, would you mind PMing/emailing those CAFDs and/or found changes as well? I'm on verge of doing the same headlamp retrofit as you.
Some camera settings are actually likely to change. I know that with the KAFAS camera (which is what I have), GLAREFREE_HIGHBEAM_ENABLED must be changed from the US VO value ("glarefreeHB_on_I001_off") to "glarefreeHB_on_F001". This could be different with the FLA camera: it is definitely worthwhile to check.
      08-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #14
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Some camera settings are actually likely to change. I know that with the KAFAS camera (which is what I have), GLAREFREE_HIGHBEAM_ENABLED must be changed from the US VO value ("glarefreeHB_on_I001_off") to "glarefreeHB_on_F001". This could be different with the FLA camera: it is definitely worthwhile to check.
Removing 5AP/8S4 from the FA should already change that value GLAREFREE_HIGHBEAM_ENABLED when you VO code KAFAS2/FLA3.

I'm under the assumption that VO coding the new FA will change the values properly for FLA3/KAFAS2/FEM_BODY. However since the light modules are not european, the light module controller (FEM_BODY) needs to be reprogramed for when new hardware is installed to manage the new european adaptive xenon with the roller. I believe that FLA3 shouldn't be controlling how the headlamps are being controlled, only detecting vehicles and their positions.

Even for the folks who got it working with their LED Adaptive Headlamps only had to do extra changes to LHM, not FLA3/KAFAS2.

As I said, doesn't hurt to check, but I just think it's unlikely.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]

Last edited by Halsifer; 08-05-2015 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #15
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Removing 5AP/8S4 from the FA should already change that value GLAREFREE_HIGHBEAM_ENABLED when you VO code KAFAS2/FLA3. It changed that value for mine.

I'm under the assumption that VO coding the new FA will change the values properly for FLA3/KAFAS2/FEM_BODY. However since the light modules are not european, the light module controller (FEM_BODY) needs to be reprogramed for when new hardware is installed to manage the new european adaptive xenon with the roller. I believe that FLA3 shouldn't be how the headlamps are being controlled, only detecting vehicles and their positions.

Even for the folks who got it working with their LED Adaptive Headlamps only had to do extra changes to LHM, not FLA3/KAFAS2.
That is correct: VO coding after removing 5AP/8S4 does change GLAREFREE_HIGHBEAM_ENABLED to the correct value. However, we also know that VO coding (with the country variant left to US) does not correctly enable no-glare HBA, so it is still worthwhile to double-check with the CAFDs from a European car.

When I say that VO coding does not correctly enable no-glare HBA, I am referring to my experience with LEDs, for which there appears to be no hardware difference as far as the low- and high-beams are concerned.
      08-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #16
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
That is correct: VO coding after removing 5AP/8S4 does change GLAREFREE_HIGHBEAM_ENABLED to the correct value. However, we also know that VO coding (with the country variant left to US) does not correctly enable no-glare HBA, so it is still worthwhile to double-check with the CAFDs from a European car.
I did say it worth checking both either way to be sure. I just mentioned it would be unlikely to show differences in FLA3, since KAFAS2 appeared to have no additional changes required.

I completely expect differences mainly in FEM_BODY, similar to LHM, mainly since yes, our vehicles are coded US-spec for US-parts. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the actual Anti-Glare High Beam system, I think it's fully functioning. However, the values for how the headlamps are controlled (LHM/FEM_BODY) are the only things that were additionally changed for LED owners. I'm assuming it's because they aren't expected to go to move to certain positions in the US. (Or in the Xenons case, reach certain parameters due to lack of necessary hardware.)

Regardless, check both, I would either way, and I may be wrong. This is just how I'm seeing the issue with this functionality.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #17
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Prior to asking for actual CAFDs from a European owner, i changed the Typschlüssel in the FA to an ECE equivalent of the F31, VO coded FEM_BODY and FLA, and then used Tokenmaster's NCD/CAFD comparison tool to compare the ECE/US CAFDs. I had expected to see C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA and perhaps C_HBA_GRHB_ENA enabled, that is, werte=01. Descriptions for the settings are "Enable adaptive shutter" and "Switch to enable GRHBA (Vertical)" respectively.

But to my surprise, the default values for both settings were werte=00 (nicht_aktiv?) which are exactly the same as a US-VO coded car with 5AP and 8S4 removed from the FA. I had manually changed both settings to 01 in my F31 but they didn't appear to affect the operation of the HBA. In E-Sys, only changing the settings to "F015Codierwert AHL/LED" or "F030Codierwert F032/33/36/80/82/83" will change the werte to 01.

Furthermore, i was not able to find significant differences between the ECE-VO coded and US-VO coded FEM_BODY and FLA modules, at least for those settings that appear to have something to do with HBA. Shadowyman, with similar Xenon adaptive headlights + HBA in the bimmerfest forum, was able to find settings for his newer model car that relate to this roller (walze) but i found no such settings for my car.

Does it mean F30/31 from MY2012-2014 do not have anything in the modules to control the rollers in the Xenon adaptive headlights? Or is it possible they use a different mechanism than rollers to achieve glare-free operation? If that is the case, is that non-roller mechanism available in the US-spec xenon adaptive headlights? I am hoping some of my questions can be answered by looking and comparing the FEM_BODY and FLA modules from an equivalent European car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #18
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
However since the light modules are not european, the light module controller (FEM_BODY) needs to be reprogramed for when new hardware is installed to manage the new european adaptive xenon with the roller.
Perhaps, that may explain why ECE-VO coding the FEM_BODY/FLA modules did not reveal any significant differences. Are you saying we will need to "flash" the FEM_BODY module after installing the European version?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #19
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Prior to asking for actual CAFDs from a European owner, i changed the Typschlüssel in the FA to an ECE equivalent of the F31, VO coded FEM_BODY and FLA, and then used Tokenmaster's NCD/CAFD comparison tool to compare the ECE/US CAFDs. I had expected to see C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA and perhaps C_HBA_GRHB_ENA enabled, that is, werte=01. Descriptions for the settings are "Enable adaptive shutter" and "Switch to enable GRHBA (Vertical)" respectively.

But to my surprise, the default values for both settings were werte=00 (nicht_aktiv?) which are exactly the same as a US-VO coded car with 5AP and 8S4 removed from the FA. I had manually changed both settings to 01 in my F31 but they didn't appear to affect the operation of the HBA. In E-Sys, only changing the settings to "F015Codierwert AHL/LED" or "F030Codierwert F032/33/36/80/82/83" will change the werte to 01.

Furthermore, i was not able to find significant differences between the ECE-VO coded and US-VO coded FEM_BODY and FLA modules, at least for those settings that appear to have something to do with HBA. Shadowyman, with similar Xenon adaptive headlights + HBA in the bimmerfest forum, was able to find settings for his newer model car that relate to this roller (walze) but i found no such settings for my car.

Does it mean F30/31 from MY2012-2014 do not have anything in the modules to control the rollers in the Xenon adaptive headlights? Or is it possible they use a different mechanism than rollers to achieve glare-free operation? If that is the case, is that non-roller mechanism available in the US-spec xenon adaptive headlights? I am hoping some of my questions can be answered by looking and comparing the FEM_BODY and FLA modules from an equivalent European car.
Your questions sort of confused me a little, sorry.

In my opinion, nobody knows anything about how the European Xenons (walze) will react or be controlled in a US vehicle because nobody has done it. People only found differences with LHM out of all the ECUs which helped get the system working properly for them. But that is only for LEDs, which people already had the hardware to play with.

I think it's best to continue acquiring FEM_BODY/KAFAS2/FLA3 European CAFDs from someone, that would be the first step, and the best step before anyone spends any money.

If you do not see any changes at all, that will be another stepping stone. For all we know, the system could be fully functioning for us US-Xenon owners, and it could be sending data to use the roller, but we won't know until someone actually tests with the physical hardware at hand.

Quote:
Perhaps, that may explain why ECE-VO coding the FEM_BODY/FLA modules did not reveal any significant differences. Are you saying we will need to "flash" the FEM_BODY module after installing the European version?
My knowledge is based on what I learned from people on here. I doubt you would need to 'flash' that ECU, don't think that would make a difference. I would continue with what you are doing and check the differences between the FEM_BODY/FLA3/KAFAS2 CAFDs.
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #20
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Halsifer, we fully agree: I also do not expect to see any other differences in FLA, but since kitster is willing to provide his CAFDs, it is worthwhile to make sure.

ktula, please post the comparison between your settings and those of kitster whether his settings end up working or not with your Xenons, as it will be very informative.
      08-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #21
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi, sorry got distracted last night. I can get you the FEM_BODY ncd file but for FLA I don't have any matching CAFD, even if I am using PSDZData 55.X (my car was built late 2012). It looks like I unable to change anything on that ECU.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #22
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi, sorry got distracted last night. I can get you the FEM_BODY ncd file but for FLA I don't have any matching CAFD, even if I am using PSDZData 55.X (my car was built late 2012). It looks like I unable to change anything on that ECU.
No problem. Having one module is better than not having any.
Appreciate 0