F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > installing 1m bumper/msport kit
Extreme Powerhouse

10-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
3_dirty_5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: NA

installing 1m bumper/msport kit

Anyone here have first hand experience in installing the 1m(m1?) bumper, side panels and rear diffusor?

Ive seen a few posts about the front bumper in specific and some people say the fit is not exact? Also, ive seen some youtube videos(only of the full msport kit, not the 1m bumper and msport panels, rear) and it seems pretty easy. Just lining up the bolts right?

Before i buy the kit im looking to estimate the overall price if anyone could help me with that. paint matching + installing kit if it turns out to be too difficult to do myself. And what should i do with the old parts?

I own a 2012 335 sportline and they do have fog lights so either i will do a LED conversion or maybe remove the housing to make room for the fog lights.

Also, wondering if the 1m front bumper will have any problems with all the cameras, cleaners, tow hook that are all located on the front bumper.

Just read another members "how-to" guide that he wrote up himself on a msport conversion and it seems like its a little more than just removing bolts. maybe i could install just the side panels and rear diffusor and leave the front bumper for a sshop? saves me some money i guess

Last edited by 3_dirty_5; 10-16-2014 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

i dont think you can install any of those parts on your 3 series.

I believe you have to get a specific bumper that has the 1m body work molded to it. side panels I have not seen done. rear diffusor will not work either.
      10-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

There's a member in this forum with a white F30 that did this conversion with a 1M replica made for the F30.

Do a on the forum with 1M bumper, shouldn't be too hard to find.

I found those 3 with a simple 1M bumper entry, enjoy !

LTMW 1M Bumper
Other thread
Scorpp

As for your questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpling_god View Post
Ive seen a few posts about the front bumper in specific and some people say the fit is not exact?
Fit should be close, if you take the right part. As with my front M Sport bumper, the fit was 99% perfect.

Quote:
Just lining up the bolts right?
As mentioned on my previous answer, it will require more than just lining the bolts. If you want perfect fit at all time, stick with OE parts.

Quote:
Before i buy the kit im looking to estimate the overall price if anyone could help me with that. paint matching + installing kit if it turns out to be too difficult to do myself. And what should i do with the old parts?
I had all the parts installed at my local BMW dealer (front replica, rear and sides OE BMW), and by the look the guy had when I went to pick up the car, glad they did it! For the old parts, they kept them (and gave me a rebate on the job).

Quote:
I own a 2012 335 sportline and they do have fog lights so either i will do a LED conversion or maybe remove the housing to make room for the fog lights.
With the 1M replica I've seen, there's no place for fog, so you may end up deleting them.

Quote:
Also, wondering if the 1m front bumper will have any problems with all the cameras, cleaners, tow hook that are all located on the front bumper.
Tow hook, I don't think so since the bumper replica should be made especially for the F30. As for the other parts... This could get very interesting. You (or the installer) will have to modify to have them work.

Quote:
Just read another members "how-to" guide that he wrote up himself on a msport conversion and it seems like its a little more than just removing bolts. maybe i could install just the side panels and rear diffusor and leave the front bumper for a sshop? saves me some money i guess
Good idea, if you ask me.
And check if it'll be worth it to even do those.
Since they paint the parts, maybe not that much to install them (and could prevent a nasty scratch you could make). By having them install, I have a complete warranty on the job.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)

Last edited by 335i_4D; 10-17-2014 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
3_dirty_5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post
There's a member in this forum with a white F30 that did this conversion with a 1M replica made for the F30.

Do a on the forum with 1M bumper, shouldn't be too hard to find.

I found those 3 with a simple 1M bumper entry, enjoy !

LTMW 1M Bumper
Other thread
Scorpp

As for your questions:

Fit should be close, if you take the right part. As with my front M Sport bumper, the fit was 99% perfect.

As mentioned on my previous answer, it will require more than just lining the bolts. If you want perfect fit at all time, stick with OE parts.

I had all the parts installed at my local BMW dealer (front replica, rear and sides OE BMW), and by the look the guy had when I went to pick up the car, glad they did it! For the old parts, they kept them (and gave me a rebate on the job).

With the 1M replica I've seen, there's no place for fog, so you may end up deleting them.

Tow hook, I don't think so since the bumper replica should be made especially for the F30. As for the other parts... This could get very interesting. You (or the installer) will have to modify to have them work.

Good idea, if you ask me.
And check if it'll be worth it to even do those.
Since they paint the parts, maybe not that much to install them (and could prevent a nasty scratch you could make). By having them install, I have a complete warranty on the job.
Hey you're the guy that I messaged about this a few weeks ago!
Thank you so much for such a great reply i really appreciate it. Yes ive searched 1m bumper, m1 bumper, conversion, all that stuff but i just could not seem to find a 1m bumper DIY. I found a few msport conversions that were DIY but i was not sure how similar it would be to a 1m bumper.

Do you think any body/paint shop would be able to install or just BMW?

Dang, im pretty bummed out about the tow hook and fog lights but i guess ill just have to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

I do think that a good body shop used to install those kit would be able to do it no problem.

I'd suggest you contact the members who did the 1M bumper conversion, they'll be able to let you know how it went.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics if you end up doing the conversion.

BTW: I meant that there should be no problem with the tow hook, as long as you purchase a 1M bumper replica made for the F30 bodystyle, like the links I've sent you.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #6
3_dirty_5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post
I do think that a good body shop used to install those kit would be able to do it no problem.

I'd suggest you contact the members who did the 1M bumper conversion, they'll be able to let you know how it went.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics if you end up doing the conversion.

BTW: I meant that there should be no problem with the tow hook, as long as you purchase a 1M bumper replica made for the F30 bodystyle, like the links I've sent you.

I would hope so.

Ive contacted one and im just waiting on their reply now!
Appreciate 0