F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > To Cosmoline or not to Cosmoline, that is the question!
proTUNING Freaks

10-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
TiresOnFire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015435i,2015550i,2017M240i

To Cosmoline or not to Cosmoline, that is the question!

As my European Delivery vehicles are nearly to the dealer and I spend my days reading about the shipping process I've added a new word to my vocabulary; "Cosmoline", being the waxy substance applied to the vehicle for shipping protection. I also read that ED vehicles don't get the Cosmoline treatment - and I think I'm happy I didn't get it. Can anyone shed light on the pros and cons of shipment with or without Cosmoline. What I think I know so far:

Pro:
Protective coating from salt spray (does that much salt spray get inside the ship?)

Con:
Hard to remove from nooks and may drip for a while.
Smells as it burns off exhaust.
Not environmentally friendly.

So, since BMW coats non-ED cars with Cosmoline, being the majority of their shipments, there must be a good reason... And that would be...? And, what were my cars susceptible to by not having Cosmoline?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
bmwperson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

I was thinking about cleaning my rifle
2014 BMW 335i xDrive 6spd loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

BMW doesn't 'coat' an entire car in cosmoline. I think that picture above is from polution or just being out in the elements for long time. Cosmoline is a by-product of the manufacturing process. You'll find it inside the door shells for example. Or inside the beams on the hood. It drips out when it gets really hot outside and easily wipes off. Nothing to worry about. Furthermore, I'd be surprised if BMW used a different manufacturing process for ED cars than shipped cars. We bought an X3 directly from Spartenburg, no shipping or anything and it still rolled of the line with cosmoline inside the door cavities.
Appreciate 0