F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Strange seat belt warning
Extreme Powerhouse

08-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive GC

Strange seat belt warning

So I just picked up my car over the weekend and so far I've experienced a few problems with it just driving it for the past 2 days.

For some reason every once in a while, with nothing in the passenger seat but my phone and a roll of toilet paper, the seat belt warning goes off. After a while it turned off but sometimes it just continues until I belt the passenger seat.

Also my idrive has restarted several times while driving using the navigation. I've seen a few threads about this so I guess that is just normal?

Oh also I thought my car should have launch control if it has the sports automatic transmission? Do on x35i engines come with launch control? I put the car in sport+, put the shifter in S mode and held the brake and gas at the same time but that just revs the engine until the brakes aren't strong enough to hold the car and it creeps forward.

EDIT: Oh there is also a crazy rattle behind the dashboard/instrument cluster. I don't have the HUD and most of the boards with people reporting similar rattles said it was an issue with the HUD so I'm not sure what that might be...

Any insight would be super appreciated, otherwise I guess I'll just call my local dealer and see if they have anything they can do...

Oh btw the car is a 428i gran coupe if any of the issues are related to that vehicle.

Last edited by kadify; 08-25-2015 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 03:55 AM   #2
Spacer
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i, becoming an X3!

Garage List
WRT the seat belt warning..... there's a pressure pad in the passenger seat. The weight of what you have put on it is probably just on the cusp of triggering it. So, sometimes it sets it off, sometimes it doesn't....

I had a faulty pressure pad in the seat, and of note, the airbag won't deploy on the passenger side if it doesn't think anyone is sitting in it. Easy way to test. Get a person to sit in the seat and drive. Somewhere very safe, and slow, get them to remove the belt. The warning (dashboard not audio) should stay on, not be intermittent. My fault had the warning intermittent, so sometimes the car thought someone was in the seat, sometimes not. But, I suspect yours is just down to the light weight you have on the seat.

As for Nav restarting and LC, I can't help with that. But hopefully I've helped with the first.

Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacer View Post
WRT the seat belt warning..... there's a pressure pad in the passenger seat. The weight of what you have put on it is probably just on the cusp of triggering it. So, sometimes it sets it off, sometimes it doesn't....

I had a faulty pressure pad in the seat, and of note, the airbag won't deploy on the passenger side if it doesn't think anyone is sitting in it. Easy way to test. Get a person to sit in the seat and drive. Somewhere very safe, and slow, get them to remove the belt. The warning (dashboard not audio) should stay on, not be intermittent. My fault had the warning intermittent, so sometimes the car thought someone was in the seat, sometimes not. But, I suspect yours is just down to the light weight you have on the seat.

As for Nav restarting and LC, I can't help with that. But hopefully I've helped with the first.

Enjoy the car!
Thank you for the help. I think I'll make a service appointment because I don't think the pad should be so sensitive that an iPhone would set it off.

Thanks though, I am enjoying it!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadify View Post
So I just picked up my car over the weekend and so far I've experienced a few problems with it just driving it for the past 2 days.

For some reason every once in a while, with nothing in the passenger seat but my phone and a roll of toilet paper, the seat belt warning goes off. After a while it turned off but sometimes it just continues until I belt the passenger seat.

Also my idrive has restarted several times while driving using the navigation. I've seen a few threads about this so I guess that is just normal?

Oh also I thought my car should have launch control if it has the sports automatic transmission? Do on x35i engines come with launch control? I put the car in sport+, put the shifter in S mode and held the brake and gas at the same time but that just revs the engine until the brakes aren't strong enough to hold the car and it creeps forward.

EDIT: Oh there is also a crazy rattle behind the dashboard/instrument cluster. I don't have the HUD and most of the boards with people reporting similar rattles said it was an issue with the HUD so I'm not sure what that might be...

Any insight would be super appreciated, otherwise I guess I'll just call my local dealer and see if they have anything they can do...

Oh btw the car is a 428i gran coupe if any of the issues are related to that vehicle.
you need to press the brake pedal hard....really hard...if the car moves forward youre not pressing it hard enough. Press it all the wayyyyyyyy down to the floor. Then the launch control will work. Of course first drive 6 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadify View Post
Toilet paper must always be belted in! The Germans take that sort of thing very seriously.

Oh, and yeah pressure pad as others have said. But take care of that TP.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Toilet paper must always be belted in! The Germans take that sort of thing very seriously.

Oh, and yeah pressure pad as others have said. But take care of that TP.
Haha yes +1
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I'm glad I'm not the only one who drives around with a roll of toilet paper in the front seat. Always prepared!
Appreciate 0