F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Coasting in Neutral bad for tranny?
ARMA SPEED

08-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I guess the US has some different driving advice than here in the UK. Coasting is a "no, no" over here, Our DSA Official Driving Manual does not endorse coasting in any conditions and comes under the "Don't coast with the clutch depressed, or gear lever in neutral" listing.

Also specifically under the sub title 'coasting', "any form of coasting is wrong because..... first in the list is "it reduces control of the vehicle".

That is the official line, to the point that in "using the gears" in Roadcraft, the Police Driver's Handbook (viewed as one of the best guides to good driving in the UK), coasting is not even mentioned in passing, let alone any conditions to use coasting.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
Heel328
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6MT

They are pandering to the masses. An experienced and capable driver likely knows how to coast properly if they desire to. There are SO many crappy/awful/terrible drivers that can barely handle regular driving in an Automatic, much less anything more advanced.
1984 944*
1988 16V GTI*
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #25
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '02 325i, '15 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel328 View Post
Again, what they are not considering is by coasting in Neutral the car carries more speed and therefor requires less fuel to get back up to speed if you never come to a stop or drop to as low a speed as you would have otherwise.

If I start coasting early and only drop down to ~20mph then it takes less fuel to get back up to speed. Where as a typical driver would hurry to a red light and brake to 0, then need to accelerate back up to speed from 0.
I understand and agree with you. I had been unaware that the fuel injectors shut down under coasting and the link I found confirms it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
I wish there was a way to enable coasting in Comfort-mode. I love the mode in Eco-Pro...just not the whole Eco-Pro mode.
We've had the issue over here in the UK of having the whole coasting mode thing not enabled. This appears due to our technical offence of "not being in full control of the vehicle". So whether this function was legal or not, (in the UK), was under dispute. I'm not sure what the current status of this issue is, but I'm aware users have coded the feature to enable it. Whether that is for more than Eco-Pro mode I'm not sure.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #27
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
I wish there was a way to enable coasting in Comfort-mode. I love the mode in Eco-Pro...just not the whole Eco-Pro mode.
I agree. I actually enjoy the engine shutting off at stop lights (doesn't work in Sport mode) and coasting. I wish there were ways to configure these into the different modes.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #28
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
They are pandering to the masses. An experienced and capable driver likely knows how to coast properly if they desire to. There are SO many crappy/awful/terrible drivers that can barely handle regular driving in an Automatic, much less anything more advanced.
I agree. If you're coming up to a red light in traffic and everyone around you is slowing, mashing on the gas is only going to launch you into the rear end of the car in front of you. If the guy next to you suddenly swerves into you, you'd hit the brakes rather than the gas.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #29
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
That's horse shit. "Not in control of the car when coasting" hah, that's a joke. I am in control of the car when coasting, and I have the same turning ability as if in gear. Nor does it "remove any form of reactive driving response to an emergency" - what a crock. I'll coast an 1/8th of a mile if there's a red light ahead and no need to hurry, and there's not a damn thing wrong with it.
So what your saying is 'bugger everyone else, I am saving gas' then coast to the lights, like driving miss daisy.

So I guess the tailbacks in your area are mainly due to your 'coasting'.

You are not in control of the car, you have no accelerator function.

Not all accidents are avoided by breaking.

Coasting in a manual is just plain pointless and at worst dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #30
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I guess the US has some different driving advice than here in the UK. Coasting is a "no, no" over here, Our DSA Official Driving Manual does not endorse coasting in any conditions and comes under the "Don't coast with the clutch depressed, or gear lever in neutral" listing.

Also specifically under the sub title 'coasting', "any form of coasting is wrong because..... first in the list is "it reduces control of the vehicle".

That is the official line, to the point that in "using the gears" in Roadcraft, the Police Driver's Handbook (viewed as one of the best guides to good driving in the UK), coasting is not even mentioned in passing, let alone any conditions to use coasting.

HighlandPete
Don't mistake Heel's driving style for the rest of us in the US. Coasting like he does is not the norm and the rest of us know it's wrong. It's not about the fuel economy it's about safety. If you need to accelerate immediately, you have to take the time short as it may be, to put the transmission into gear before accelerating.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #31
Heel328
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
So what your saying is 'bugger everyone else, I am saving gas' then coast to the lights, like driving miss daisy.

So I guess the tailbacks in your area are mainly due to your 'coasting'.

You are not in control of the car, you have no accelerator function.

Not all accidents are avoided by breaking.

Coasting in a manual is just plain pointless and at worst dangerous.
Total BS .. common sense, rational thinking and physics says you are wrong.

Believe me, I don't drive like Miss Daisy, I've had 2 speeding tix in 1 day. When approaching a red light what are the odds you are going to need throttle to avoid an accident. Get real.
- No throttle does NOT equal "not in control of your car"
- No need to accelerate towards a red light, its inefficient.
- Coasting can save fuel and brakes, if you have half a brain.
1984 944*
1988 16V GTI*
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #32
Heel328
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Don't mistake Heel's driving style for the rest of us in the US. Coasting like he does is not the norm and the rest of us know it's wrong. It's not about the fuel economy it's about safety. If you need to accelerate immediately, you have to take the time short as it may be, to put the transmission into gear before accelerating.
The odds of needing to step on the gas to avoid an accident are less than getting struck by lightening. And you wouldn't do it in a sketchy situation anyway. You coast when conditions are right for it, not in 5 o'clock traffic. Use common sense.
1984 944*
1988 16V GTI*
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #33
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Total BS .. common sense, rational thinking and physics says you are wrong.

Believe me, I don't drive like Miss Daisy, I've had 2 speeding tix in 1 day. When approaching a red light what are the odds you are going to need throttle to avoid an accident. Get real.
- No throttle does NOT equal "not in control of your car"
- No need to accelerate towards a red light, its inefficient.
- Coasting can save fuel and brakes, if you have half a brain.
You are seriously so wrong it's untrue.

If this was UK bit of Forum I would assume this was a bit of a WAH!

Every driving course I have done, has a big negative over coasting like this.

Actually approaching junctions / lights are probably the most common places for accidents.

It's pretty much sitting with your thumb up your arse.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #34
Heel328
First Lieutenant
Rep

^ Just stop. You are being ridiculous.

Coasting does not making you a sitting duck for an accident. That's absurd.

eta -- if anything, taking out of gear lessens the odds of hitting the wrong pedal in a panic situation and accidentally hitting the gas instead of the brake, which I've seen happen. If in Neutral it wouldn't cause the car to accelerate accidentally. That is going to happen in a rare occurrence much more often that the minuscule chance you need to accelerate to avoid an accident. Use your brain dood.
1984 944*
1988 16V GTI*

Last edited by Heel328; 08-21-2015 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #35
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Previous posts mention that BMW now programs ZF 8AT to coast in neutral at freeway speed, if true then from BMW's perspective the practice is safe enough and good for fuel economy(at least for freeway coasting).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #36
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Coasting does not making you a sitting duck for an accident. That's absurd.
Getting rear-ended by an inattentive driver behind you is hardly a rare circumstance. Ask Tracy Morgan about that. When coming to a stop, or just slowing down, I always pay as much attention to what's coming up behind me as I do what's in front of me. I haven't had to take evasive actions often, but it has happened.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #37
Heel328
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Getting rear-ended by an inattentive driver behind you is hardly a rare circumstance. Ask Tracy Morgan about that. When coming to a stop, or just slowing down, I always pay as much attention to what's coming up behind me as I do what's in front of me. I haven't had to take evasive actions often, but it has happened.
Yep, I watch the rearview mirror as well. You also wouldnt hit the gas with stopped cars in front of you. If you see something coming fast from behind you plan accordingly. Driving requires continuous monitoring to do it well. You also likely wouldn't be coasting in a situation with a lot of traffic. Use common sense.
1984 944*
1988 16V GTI*
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #38
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It usually is very tricky to take evasive actions while stopped at stoplight. In past experience the best option is to step hard on brake and pull handbrake, and brace for rear-end collision hoping the car is not pushed into on-coming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #39
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Previous posts mention that BMW now programs ZF 8AT to coast in neutral at freeway speed, if true then from BMW's perspective the practice is safe enough and good for fuel economy(at least for freeway coasting).
In Eco Pro mode and certainly it shifts into drive when the accelerator is pushed. I doubt this happens when the driver puts the car into neutral.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #40
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The odds of needing to step on the gas to avoid an accident are less than getting struck by lightening. And you wouldn't do it in a sketchy situation anyway. You coast when conditions are right for it, not in 5 o'clock traffic. Use common sense.
Lets just say I disagree. There are numerous situations where you need to get on the gas right away to avoid a potential collision.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #41
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

I'm not trying to start any beef, but it's not like I'm dropping into neutral and whipping out my phone to text while coasting. My hands are still on the wheel and/or near the lever. If the car is rolling, I can shift into drive with a pull of a lever.

You guys are making it seem like coasting is as dangerous as texting and driving. It's not. Might seem dangerous to those who don't do it normally, but to me it's just am everyday thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #42
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The bigger risk, in mind, is forgetting that you have the car in neutral while at the stop light. Sort of like putting the car in reverse if you pull too far into the intersection and forgetting, though that would be worse obviously.

Either way, I think we can agree that it's of little, if any, benefit or harm on these cars. At worst, it's a bad habit that I certainly won't be advising my 15 yo daughter to adopt as she's learning to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #43
Heel328
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrays View Post
The bigger risk, in mind, is forgetting that you have the car in neutral while at the stop light. Sort of like putting the car in reverse if you pull too far into the intersection and forgetting, though that would be worse obviously.
No, it's not like forgetting it's in Reverse at all. If you drive a manual with any regularity its all very normal and natural. It becomes second nature.
1984 944*
1988 16V GTI*
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #44
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Yep, I watch the rearview mirror as well. You also wouldnt hit the gas with stopped cars in front of you. If you see something coming fast from behind you plan accordingly. Driving requires continuous monitoring to do it well. You also likely wouldn't be coasting in a situation with a lot of traffic. Use common sense.
Yea, "plan accordingly" basically means put it in gear and drive.

If you are coasting for an eight of a mile i doubt you are on somebody's bumper, so in a situation where you noticed somebody behind you was not paying attention and about to hit you, the absolute best thing to do is to speed up and try to get out of the way. Hopefully give them time to notice whats going on. Even if it happens with 20 feet between you and the car in front of you, the ability to jump forward and/or to the side could be the difference between contact and not.

What about if you are coasting on a curve and you hit a slippery spot and loose grip. Having no ability to apply power to the ground leaves you basically along for the ride.
Appreciate 0