F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Wheel locks installation while getting serviced. Too much to ask for???
ARMA SPEED

06-17-2014, 01:43 AM   #1
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Wheel locks installation while getting serviced. Too much to ask for???

Hey guys,
I have a fairly new 2014 335i, with only little over 1200 miles on it (bought it new @ 99miles w/ dealer transfer).
I started having the infamous buzzing from dash, clunking from rear driver suspension while going over bumps, and a seem-like-a-metal-ball rolling left and right in the back trunk area over metal surface while turning moderate/hard, so took it to dealer.
It has been 4 days excluding sunday but still no words on what is going on. They say they still haven't found any solution yet (I gave them the bulletin # for the buzzing).
So I asked them how much a set of wheel lock is and if they would install them real quick while the car is on the lift.
He quoted $160 something including the wheel locks!
He said he has to charge me half an hour labor fee for the installation which is around $80 (the locks are 81 with taxes). So I said "no thanks" of course.
I mean, is it too much to ask to the service department if they can just get those wheels lock real quick for me without charging the installation fee?
Am I asking too much? My new car is already having problems and don't even know when I am getting it back. Can't they at least install the locks for me if I pay for the locks?
I mean, I have read on this forum that a dealer charged little over $100(or $200) for the m perf exhaust AND MPPK. If this dealer is charging me $80 for wheel lock installation, how much are they going to charge me when I start getting M performance parts on? I am planning to go somewhere else in the future for my service.
I just think that sometimes a dealer needs to be smart on keeping customers.
I don't know. I am just asking for your opinions since I really don't know if I was asking too much. I will just get the locks and get them on myself.
But kind of disappointed at the dealer that they would charge $80 just for locks installation. I will make sure to shop around for future installations for m performance parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Just depends on the dealer -- mine gave me wheel locks and installed them for free when I picked up my car. If you don't want to pay for it or do it yourself, try Discount Tire - they do a lot of things for free...especially if you have bought tires/wheels from them
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
marlin2911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Garage List
Do it yourself? It's easy as pie, and requires nothing more than a tire iron.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Dealer service levels are so different across both countries. I deal with the top selling dealer in Canada and that's an automatic add for all new cars. It's on the quotes including the floor mats. Charge you 0.5 hour of labor really? Come on. Where's the service in service? Seems a bit lame to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
TittoBlunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 2013 328i M-Sport

I didn't have the wheel lock key when I bought my car so when I finally needed to take the tire off because of a flat, I couldn't and had to take it to the dealer. They took off the old ones and installed a new set that I bought from them without charging for installation.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Yet another reason to develop a relationship with your dealership.
Having said that, why atre you installing those things? Nobody steals wheels any more. there are more stories here about stripped keys and guys getting stranded as a result . I ask to have them taken off every car I get. Never had a problem with last 5 sets of BBS or current Vossens. Waste of $ and large profit for dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you guys for your inputs.
I just didn't want to be a crybaby or something, but just sounded lame when my car is already on lift and they can do it so fast. I made sure and told them i will pay for the locks.

Anyways, I ended up contacting the salesman who sold me the car, and he got the service manager to help me. The manager said he would waive the labor if i find time to bring tge car in. So i said "it has been there since last thursday and that is why i asked if you guys can install for me" and they were like "oh really??". It sounded like they were even surprised that the car has been there and the SA wanted to charge me for the labor.

I do understand building good relationship with dealership because i do have an awesome relationship with a service dept at an acura dealer for my rsx-s. And i am nowhere being an ass when it comes to talking to these people. But when they start being lame, i can't help that.
I will see how this goes, and will try to find a good dealership with good service mind.
In the end, i choose where i choose to give my business to.
Sad that a sales dept had to intervene into the field of service dept for this matter.
The Salesman is an awesome guy? If anyone in the Inland Empire looking to buy a bmw, i could introduce him to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Yet another reason to develop a relationship with your dealership.
Having said that, why atre you installing those things? Nobody steals wheels any more. there are more stories here about stripped keys and guys getting stranded as a result . I ask to have them taken off every car I get. Never had a problem with last 5 sets of BBS or current Vossens. Waste of $ and large profit for dealer.
It just gives me a peace of mind. So yea, i do want a set
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #9
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Do you have insurance?
How do you think dealers get wheels off when key is lost/stripped? Just like crooks....they have all the keys.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you have insurance?
How do you think dealers get wheels off when key is lost/stripped? Just like crooks....they have all the keys.
It is like having an additional annoying thing to get the wheels off, which will at least make them look around and see if there is an easier target.
Of course i have an insurance. But i am trying to increase an chance of not having to go through the hassle of calling, waiting, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Good luck with that. No crook is going to change his mind after seeing locks.....whats another 10 seconds? Whatever, to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 01:34 AM   #12
tntsE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

Seriously, you can't take off one lug from each wheel and install it on your own? Paying someone $80 to install them is just plain nuts. Paying someone to install wheel locks is just plain nuts no matter how rich you are.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksi View Post
It is like having an additional annoying thing to get the wheels off . . .
No, they just hammer a socket on and zip! off go your wheel "locks."

Their only purpose is to annoy the owner of the car. My dealer gave me a set when I bought the car. I gave them back.

You are not entitled to free labor, even if it is easy. An odd argument - it is really easy so that should do it for me - when you can just as easily and quickly do it yourself if you truly want the silly things.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post

Their only purpose is to annoy the owner of the car. My dealer gave me a set when I bought the car. I gave them back.

You are not entitled to free labor, even if it is easy. An odd argument - it is really easy so that should do it for me - when you can just as easily and quickly do it yourself if you truly want the silly things.
Thats the old style of wheel locks

The current style from BMW are the Mcgard Ultra wheel locks with the spinning edges.
So if you hammer a socket onto them the socket will just spin and spin and not take off the lock.
Attached Images

06-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
cricriF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 TB M3 Comp, 2023 X5 45e

DIY
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #16
billiebob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post

The current style from BMW are the Mcgard Ultra wheel locks with the spinning edges.
So if you hammer a socket onto them the socket will just spin and spin and not take off the lock.
Heaven help you if some tire shop over tightens these. I broke 4 keys trying to get them off. I then had to remove them the hard way, by breaking the spinning collar off and hammering on a socket.

Never using wheel locks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #17
1987E30M3
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 & 325ic-F30 335i Xdrive

Order a set form getbmwparts.com for $56.00 and install them yourelf. $160.00 installed is crazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #18
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
Heaven help you if some tire shop over tightens these. I broke 4 keys trying to get them off. I then had to remove them the hard way, by breaking the spinning collar off and hammering on a socket.

Never using wheel locks again.
Never let them fit the wheels without you there.
The 2 shops tire shops I use also never use air tools to remove the wheels and always use torque wrenches when refitting, as does dealer.

Without locks you are likely to have your car sitting on nothing but bricks here in a few days
      07-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
spare tire
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320i (F30)

Quote:
Good luck with that. No crook is going to change his mind after seeing locks.....whats another 10 seconds? Whatever, to each his own.
I saw on one forum where someone wrote that his friend stole wheels. If he had a nail in a tire, he'd find a car with the same wheel (didn't mention about tire model) then switch (steal) the tire/wheel and put his on that car.

Tire locks prevent that but not too much else.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #20
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntsE90 View Post
Seriously, you can't take off one lug from each wheel and install it on your own? Paying someone $80 to install them is just plain nuts. Paying someone to install wheel locks is just plain nuts no matter how rich you are.
ummm i don't think i said i paid ridiculous $80 for the installation.
Don't worry people. I am not a money fountain, and not paying $80 for freaking wheels locks installation
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #21
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post

What is the part number for these locks with the spinning edges?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #22
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
+1. Just be sure you order a spare key. FWIW locks won't deter a professional thief, but a professional will steal the entire car. They do prevent wheel theft by idiot kids looking to gussy up their crappy rides.
Appreciate 0