F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Traction control activating in corners after changing tires
Studio RSR

11-21-2023, 12:35 PM   #1
BernardoT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw F32

Traction control activating in corners after changing tires

Hey everyone,

So, I'm having a problem where my traction control engages (or flashes) during corners at about 100-120 km/h on my F32 my 2017.

Now, this did not happen untill very much recently, when I swapped my tires.

Up untill August, I had in the front a pair of Michellin Pilot Sport 4 225/35 (18 inch), and on the rear the stock tires, which were Bridgestone Potenza 255/40 (RE50 if I'm not mistaken.

The car always had loads of grip in high speed corners, and never had a problem when doing them, since the DTC would not intervene.

Now, I swapped the rear tires for a pair of Michellin Pilot 5, and everytime I make a corner on the freeway, whether accelerating or not, the DTC always flashes in the range of 100-120 km/h. Since the car twiches a little bit when the DTC engages, I've lost confidence on the car and I do not dare making the corner in higher speeds.

When I reached Bmw, they said that this could be due to the fact that an alignment to all four wheels had not been executed. But they did just that and the problem persists.

Checked the tire pressure, all is nominal and according to the recommended values.

The tire measurement is exactly the same has my previous tire.

I've already done about 1000 km with these tires, so it can't still be the fact that they are new.

The car is going again to the dealer to perform some tests to the DTC to see if they come up with any errors, but I'm confident that they will not find any since this problem only came up when I switched the tires and the DTC has been consistent when it engages.

I'm going to ask them to do a test where they swap my tires with another pair and see if the problem is the tires, which I'm betting it is.

Any thoughts on this ? How come is the DTC engaging when it didn't with the previous tires, and in spite it is another brand, the measure is the same ?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 06:29 PM   #2
_ObiJon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

Tires can vary in actual dimensions, from manufacturer to manufacturer. By swapping to a different brand, it could have gotten wider/taller, even if they have the same tire specs.

As an example, I went from a 285/30/20 MPSS to a 285/30/20 Falken FK510 and the entire combo got wider/taller.

And with just your specs, your rear tires are almost 2 inches (roughtly) taller than the front.

If you can, I would try swapping to a square set to try out.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 03:08 AM   #3
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardoT View Post
Hey everyone,

So, I'm having a problem where my traction control engages (or flashes) during corners at about 100-120 km/h on my F32 my 2017.

Now, this did not happen untill very much recently, when I swapped my tires.

Up untill August, I had in the front a pair of Michellin Pilot Sport 4 225/35 (18 inch), and on the rear the stock tires, which were Bridgestone Potenza 255/40 (RE50 if I'm not mistaken.

The car always had loads of grip in high speed corners, and never had a problem when doing them, since the DTC would not intervene.

Now, I swapped the rear tires for a pair of Michellin Pilot 5, and everytime I make a corner on the freeway, whether accelerating or not, the DTC always flashes in the range of 100-120 km/h. Since the car twiches a little bit when the DTC engages, I've lost confidence on the car and I do not dare making the corner in higher speeds.

When I reached Bmw, they said that this could be due to the fact that an alignment to all four wheels had not been executed. But they did just that and the problem persists.

Checked the tire pressure, all is nominal and according to the recommended values.

The tire measurement is exactly the same has my previous tire.

I've already done about 1000 km with these tires, so it can't still be the fact that they are new.

The car is going again to the dealer to perform some tests to the DTC to see if they come up with any errors, but I'm confident that they will not find any since this problem only came up when I switched the tires and the DTC has been consistent when it engages.

I'm going to ask them to do a test where they swap my tires with another pair and see if the problem is the tires, which I'm betting it is.

Any thoughts on this ? How come is the DTC engaging when it didn't with the previous tires, and in spite it is another brand, the measure is the same ?
Is your car RWD or xDrive?
      11-22-2023, 04:35 AM   #4
BernardoT
Enlisted Member
Rep

RWD
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 12:25 PM   #5
co_440i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i

Why are you running different tires on the front and rear axels?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 04:32 PM   #6
BernardoT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Do you mean tire size or brand ?

If you mean the size, it's as his, stock.

If you mean brand, it's because I had the Pilot 4 on the front and they to not make those anymore, since it was replaced by the Pilot 5.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 05:54 AM   #7
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardoT View Post
Hey everyone,

The right tire size combo for your car would be:
225/45 R18 95V XL in front (on 8” wheels)
255/40 R18 99V XL in rear (on 8.5” wheels).
Are you sure you have, what you wrote? Or is it just a typo?
Make sure you have the recommended tire and wheel size!
If so, do you have “XL” loadindex in front and rear?
Do you have all run flat or all non-run flat (mixing can also cause the problem)?
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2023, 12:20 PM   #8
BernardoT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
The right tire size combo for your car would be:
225/45 R18 95V XL in front (on 8” wheels)
255/40 R18 99V XL in rear (on 8.5” wheels).
Are you sure you have, what you wrote? Or is it just a typo?
Make sure you have the recommended tire and wheel size!
If so, do you have “XL” loadindex in front and rear?
Do you have all run flat or all non-run flat (mixing can also cause the problem)?
You are right, I did make a typo.

Front tires are:

225/45 ZR18 91Y -MP4

Rear Tires are:

255/40 ZR18 99Y - MP5

Both are non RFT also, so, running out of ideas.

I do see the reference "Extra long outside" on the MP5, but not on the MP4
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #9
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

That could be a possible cause, because you don't have XL rated tires on front/rear.
XL has a higher possible tire load. So normally XL tires has a stiffer sidewall, the no-XL.
I really can't for sure tell, but if they can't dance with each other in harmony, DSP chimes in.

Easiest way to find out is to ask your Garage for a temporary set of front wheels with XL tires installed.
And then find out on a test drive.

https://www.tiresplus.com/tires/tire...-index-chart/#
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 04:36 PM   #10
BernardoT
Enlisted Member
Rep

They finally manadged to solve it.

Problem was in the steering wheel, which was not tested in the beggining.

Turns out that when they placed the steering wheel in a neutral position, using a leveler to confirm this, the machine registered an angle of -0.02 degrees.

The steering wheel had to be leveled at the dealer, since apparently it can only be done with software.

Now it's perfect again.

It was strange that this only happened when I swapped the tires, which made me conviced that they were the issue.
Appreciate 1
oceanview207.00