F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 335i M Performance Power Kit INSTALLED (Review)
ARMA SPEED

04-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #573
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30MSport
Just picked up my car after dropping it off Tues @ 7am. The SA didn't ever get into details just called daily telling me it wasn't ready and he would call the next day. I needed a new DME and the SA did admit they had to contact BMW a few times for install help but I didn't dig into the issues they ran into.

Now to the good and bad...

The kit definitely makes you smile when hitting the throttle. The throttle response and increased power/torque is obvious. I had read previously someone mention it makes comfort mode feel like the old sport mode and that is an accurate statement maybe even better. Comfort mode is actually enjoyable now. After 1 mile of driving in comfort I of course hit the sport mode button and to my surprise I felt no difference. The SA did advise it would take some miles to "break in". After a while of driving I started to really feel the difference between sport and comfort thankfully. The car pulls hard and feels great. It just makes me mad that the car didn't come this way! Worth the upgrade hands down, for warrantied performance you can't beat it. Now I just hope they come out with a stage 2!

The exhaust sounds absolutely the same to me, I don't understand what is supposed to be different. The only sound I hear is the is the turbo when letting off the gas which is music to my ears.

One last thing, when in sport mode previously my steering would get stiffer and now it doesn't do that. Is that a programming thing? Has anyone had similar experiences or know what may be the issue?
You are in nj which dealership?
BMW of Mount Laurel
Those guys are about one and a half hours from me. I will give them a call tomorrow see when they can get me in the earliest.

Thanks

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #574
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

I finally got my PPK today. I will post a detailed impression plus some other details about how the whole thing went tomorrow. A chick rear ended me shortly after I picked up the car, a minor scuff to the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #575
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
I finally got my PPK today. I will post a detailed impression plus some other details about how the whole thing went tomorrow. A chick rear ended me shortly after I picked up the car, a minor scuff to the bumper.
of course, that's so annoying! Is the car ok?

Glad everything's installed and solid though...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #576
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m
Hope your car is ok after all this. At least everyone has their car back now

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #577
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m
Boo! Sorry to hear my friend. Hopefully, she was not texting. I was almost side swiped twice yesterday...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #578
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
of course, that's so annoying! Is the car ok?

Glad everything's installed and solid though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Hope your car is ok after all this. At least everyone has their car back now
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Boo! Sorry to hear my friend. Hopefully, she was not texting. I was almost side swiped twice yesterday...

As such it is very difficult to notice the bumper damage. I actually let her go without a police report since I could not find and damage during the scene of the accident. However, after coming back home and washing the car, I noticed a "square imprint" in the rear bumper that is more visible only in certain lightning situations. Luckily, we did exchange insurance info (both with geico) and she has already admitted liability.

What I'm surprised about is that the bump was pretty hard (like the whole car shook up badly). I was expecting to see a hug crater in the car. I think our cars are built "very" solid.

Unfortunately Geico wants to me to through their own "AutoXpress" Program to repair the vehicle which means they will most likely not use OEM parts. I refused to go through that and will be taking it to BMW's collision center - and probably end up paying the difference
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #579
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

My initial Impressions of the PPK

*** Based on driving about 40 miles (mostly freeways)***

It took the shop 5 days to turn around the car. They had to do an IRAP session (which we already know). The total service time they spent was 17.5 hours on the car. They are charging the difference under warranty.

Surprising my "oil change due" miles has not changed after the PPK. Not sure if the PPK really requires more frequent oil changes as I thought someone mentioned in this thread.

The sports display shows 320hp (as before) and now 400 lbft torque - again as expected. Earlier the torque used to go up to 296 lbft under full throttle in 4th gear. The highest I've seen during my trip was 310 lbft. It will go higher I suppose if I floor the throttle in 4th gear.

I noticed the PPK within about 200 yards of driving out of the shop. I pushed the throttle not too hard in comfort mode and my neck almost snapped. That was my first BIG smile. I actually shouted "whooo hooooo"...

The extra torque is VERY noticeable. Comfort mode is awesome now! I can hear the turbo whoosh in comfort mode very often (every time there is a push in the pedal). I'm sure there are faster cars, but this car feels like a BEAST now.

I'm doubtful that the fuel economy has changed. By doubtful I mean I think that the economy might have actually become better (My trip which had some pretty hard throttles yielded 36 mpg). I'm very surprised with this observation and I'll keep a look out for this.

Sport mode is even more fun (obviously). However, you need to be careful since the car just seems to speed way to triple digits in no time without you even realizing it. I now feel I might need stronger brakes and stiffen up the suspension for complimenting this extra power/torque!!!

I'm going out for a drive now
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #580
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

M PPK installed

Came back from FL trip with the family to my F30 with its summer wheels and the M Perf. Power Kit installed. I did not bother with the exterior badging nonsense!

Comfort Mode is definately much more aggressive, better throttle response when needed etc.

Sport/Sport+ are also stepped up at low speeds, but not as noticeable. I will open in up on the highway tomorrow a.m. and see about the 50-80 mph acceleration.

Definately can feel more torque through the usable power band while driving on the whole. 2nd and 3rd gear felt very good on a launch (did not really do anything for 1st from what I could tell).

Combined with the M Perf. exhaust, I also noticed more growl and sound especially at higher rpms.

Overall I am happy with the product for the price and I would recommend it is you have a 335i and would like a little extra something without messing with the factory warranty.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #581
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
After today's BMW CCA chapter drive, I have now put 1,000 miles this past week on my car with PPK installed. I'm out of the 1200-mile "break-in" range for the car and the 100-mile adaptation range for the PPK. We drove down the lower section of Toll 130 - referred to as the "Texas Autobahn" due to it's 85-mph speed limit, and I did a couple of WOT "bursts" in both comfort and sport/DS settings. Unbelievable how hard this thing now pulls and how fast it shifts. Got it up to 130 and backed off because we got into the stretch of road where the wild hogs have been known to run out in front of cars (with disastrous results), but it was a superb test of the higher-end of the spectrum. On the return trip home, I did a couple of WOT passes from around 65-70 and it was amazingly quick. An earlier post said "why didn't the car come this way to begin with" and I have to echo that sentiment. And oh yeah, all this high-speed driving still yielded nearly 29 MPG.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #582
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
*** Based on driving about 40 miles (mostly freeways)***

It took the shop 5 days to turn around the car. They had to do an IRAP session (which we already know). The total service time they spent was 17.5 hours on the car. They are charging the difference under warranty.

Surprising my "oil change due" miles has not changed after the PPK. Not sure if the PPK really requires more frequent oil changes as I thought someone mentioned in this thread.

The sports display shows 320hp (as before) and now 400 lbft torque - again as expected. Earlier the torque used to go up to 296 lbft under full throttle in 4th gear. The highest I've seen during my trip was 310 lbft. It will go higher I suppose if I floor the throttle in 4th gear.

I noticed the PPK within about 200 yards of driving out of the shop. I pushed the throttle not too hard in comfort mode and my neck almost snapped. That was my first BIG smile. I actually shouted "whooo hooooo"...

The extra torque is VERY noticeable. Comfort mode is awesome now! I can hear the turbo whoosh in comfort mode very often (every time there is a push in the pedal). I'm sure there are faster cars, but this car feels like a BEAST now.

I'm doubtful that the fuel economy has changed. By doubtful I mean I think that the economy might have actually become better (My trip which had some pretty hard throttles yielded 36 mpg). I'm very surprised with this observation and I'll keep a look out for this.

Sport mode is even more fun (obviously). However, you need to be careful since the car just seems to speed way to triple digits in no time without you even realizing it. I now feel I might need stronger brakes and stiffen up the suspension for complimenting this extra power/torque!!!

I'm going out for a drive now
So is the IRAP necessary, or if I tell them ahead of time, they can sort it out preemptively?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #583
escaport
Fairly New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 X3 3.5i M-sport

My 335i M sport is in production (should complete production on 4/22) in SA. I had my dealer schedule to do a PPK at the port. I'm really excited after reading this post.

All that said, I see a few have done the PPK and M sport exhaust. I get the sound (which has me a bit worried of being too much), but is there any power to be had from the exhaust switch combined with the PPK?

Past: 2000 323ci, 1995 M3, 1994 325ci, 1992 M5, 1991 535i 6sp, 1988 M3, 1986 325is, 2011 335d BSM
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #584
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by escaport View Post
My 335i M sport is in production (should complete production on 4/22) in SA. I had my dealer schedule to do a PPK at the port. I'm really excited after reading this post.

All that said, I see a few have done the PPK and M sport exhaust. I get the sound (which has me a bit worried of being too much), but is there any power to be had from the exhaust switch combined with the PPK?
The bmw m performance exhaust is in no way, too loud, it is just perfect! I FUCKIN LOVE IT!!!!! LOL
      04-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #585
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So is the IRAP necessary, or if I tell them ahead of time, they can sort it out preemptively?
The SA gave me the impression that the IRAP sessions were pretty intensive. They had 2 cars that had the same issues. It took them much lesser time to fix the issue on the second car (due to the learnings from the first). As of now, as things stand it seems that IRAP might be inevitable although the install time may vary considerably depending on whether the dealer has had prior experience in dealing with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #586
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

I guess you can call me flip flop. I am taking the car in tomorrow.

I have set up a test. There is an intersection where you stop to join the road, then an overpass then a stop sign for traffic joining the road. There is relatively little traffic at any given time on this road. My X5 35i gets to the overpass around high 40s and the stop sign in the high 60s. My G37xS (she leaves soon and will be missed) does right around 50 and right around 70. The 335i does mid 50s and mid 70s. I conducted this test within an hour for each car at temps of around 65. I will make sure to do this test around 65 degrees once the PPK is installed.

I agree that pre-PPK the 335i could pull harder at high speeds and I would appreciate more sounds from the exhaust, the current set up is good, but greed is good too

I will update once the PPK is done and I have run the test, hopefully next weekend. BTW a Porsche dealer invited me to the reveal of the new Cayman next weekend and they said I could test drive a couple of their cars so why not

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #587
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive M sport

Quote:
I guess you can call me flip flop. I am taking the car in tomorrow.

I have set up a test. There is an intersection where you stop to join the road, then an overpass then a stop sign for traffic joining the road. There is relatively little traffic at any given time on this road. My X5 35i gets to the overpass around high 40s and the stop sign in the high 60s. My G37xS (she leaves soon and will be missed) does right around 50 and right around 70. The 335i does mid 50s and mid 70s. I conducted this test within an hour for each car at temps of around 65. I will make sure to do this test around 65 degrees once the PPK is installed.

I agree that pre-PPK the 335i could pull harder at high speeds and I would appreciate more sounds from the exhaust, the current set up is good, but greed is good too

I will update once the PPK is done and I have run the test, hopefully next weekend. BTW a Porsche dealer invited me to the reveal of the new Cayman next weekend and they said I could test drive a couple of their cars so why not
Our Cayman event is May 5th. Looks like fun ( YouTube videos ). I'll miss my G as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #588
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Dropped her off this morning and just keeping my fingers crossed at this stage. I am not expecting to pick her up today, hopefully Thursday, lets see how it plays out.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #589
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dropped her off this morning and just keeping my fingers crossed at this stage. I am not expecting to pick her up today, hopefully Thursday, lets see how it plays out.
Did you tell your SA about the IRAP?
I'm planning on being proactive about it...

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #590
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Quote:
I did. Will update later today once they call me.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #591
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Sorry... just for clarity.... what is the "IRAP"... is that the newest firmware?
      04-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #592
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
Sorry... just for clarity.... what is the "IRAP"... is that the newest firmware?
i believe the "urgent engineer" request working session the tech has to do...

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #593
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
Just received a call from SA with an update. Just a quick recap from my previous posts:

-Dropped off my car at 7:40am Monday, agreed on 1.3hr of labor to install DME and code. They didn't have loaners available.
-Received a call mid-day Monday indicating that it's a 2 hour job just to remove and re-install the DME. DME is attached to/under intake manifold. BMW warranty database lists DME replacement as a 2.2hr job on it's own.
-My SA calls back and agrees to stick to the original labor quote. Since they were out of loaners, and I was stuck with no car, they scrounged up an old beat up Mazda 6 for a loaner for me. I got a ride from a colleague to pick up the loaner.

Today, Tuesday, I received a call at 12:20pm that they finished swapping out the DME, but the car is not accepting programming. They have to open up an "IRAP" session with BMW NA so that BMW NA can code/program remotely. My car will definitely NOT be finished today.

In short, looks like owners with pre-Nov 2012 builds that require DME replacement are in for some headaches (with labor negotiation and programming). Hopefully they can resolve it and I can get the car back tomorrow, Wednesday...and hopefully the problems get worked out so that others don't get stuck with the same experience I am having.

I will update as I get more news.
Quote:
Just received a call from my SA: IRAP session is still going, they are getting DME faults and the car won't start. Master tech is working with BMW FSC engineer to resolve. Car definitely won't be ready today, no idea when it will be ready. My SA said he's hoping to have it to me before the weekend...but is going to try to track down a more appropriate loaner to get me out of the old Mazda I've been stuck in since Monday evening.

Hope someone else gets better news today.
Quote:
I just received a call from my SA. He discussed the situation with a national engineer who said that a consistent problem happening with these DME installations is that the new DME is causing an engine control fuse/power distribution block to blow. They ordered a new box/block that will arrive tomorrow morning and they are optimistic that after replacement we should be good to go. He sounded more optimistic than he has sounded every other time we've talked this week...I'm not holding my breath. Anyone else receive similar feedback?

I'm thinking he may be referring to the "Power Distribution Module," it's listed on the same page (control units subgroup) as the DME on realoem.com
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...13&hg=12&fg=10

I will update as soon as I hear from him on Friday.

Quote:
Just heard from my SA, something about the BMW schematic being wrong and the power distribution module is different than it was supposed to be, need a different part#, will arrive Saturday morning...I don't know...I don't care anymore...it's not ready today and "hopefully" will be ready on Saturday. 1.3hr job and the car is in the shop all week. Doesn't matter to me, my Triumph is finally back and ready to roll, so I'll be out on the bike all weekend anyway. I'll update on the PPK tomorrow, hopefully with good news.
Received a call from my SA on Saturday indicating that there is still a programming issue, need another IRAP session. Swapped out the sh1tty Mazda loaner for a '13 X3 Saturday morning. Maybe it will be finished on Tuesday...I'm officially no longer excited for the PPK, I just want the car back.

Others who have their cars back already with PPK, did anyone have the ASS re-programmed prior to installing the PPK? Just wondering if the ASS "remember last setting" programming will need to be done over again.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #594
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just received a call from SA with an update. Just a quick recap from my previous posts:

-Dropped off my car at 7:40am Monday, agreed on 1.3hr of labor to install DME and code. They didn't have loaners available.
-Received a call mid-day Monday indicating that it's a 2 hour job just to remove and re-install the DME. DME is attached to/under intake manifold. BMW warranty database lists DME replacement as a 2.2hr job on it's own.
-My SA calls back and agrees to stick to the original labor quote. Since they were out of loaners, and I was stuck with no car, they scrounged up an old beat up Mazda 6 for a loaner for me. I got a ride from a colleague to pick up the loaner.

Today, Tuesday, I received a call at 12:20pm that they finished swapping out the DME, but the car is not accepting programming. They have to open up an "IRAP" session with BMW NA so that BMW NA can code/program remotely. My car will definitely NOT be finished today.

In short, looks like owners with pre-Nov 2012 builds that require DME replacement are in for some headaches (with labor negotiation and programming). Hopefully they can resolve it and I can get the car back tomorrow, Wednesday...and hopefully the problems get worked out so that others don't get stuck with the same experience I am having.

I will update as I get more news.
Quote:
Just received a call from my SA: IRAP session is still going, they are getting DME faults and the car won't start. Master tech is working with BMW FSC engineer to resolve. Car definitely won't be ready today, no idea when it will be ready. My SA said he's hoping to have it to me before the weekend...but is going to try to track down a more appropriate loaner to get me out of the old Mazda I've been stuck in since Monday evening.

Hope someone else gets better news today.
Quote:
I just received a call from my SA. He discussed the situation with a national engineer who said that a consistent problem happening with these DME installations is that the new DME is causing an engine control fuse/power distribution block to blow. They ordered a new box/block that will arrive tomorrow morning and they are optimistic that after replacement we should be good to go. He sounded more optimistic than he has sounded every other time we've talked this week...I'm not holding my breath. Anyone else receive similar feedback?

I'm thinking he may be referring to the "Power Distribution Module," it's listed on the same page (control units subgroup) as the DME on realoem.com
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...13&hg=12&fg=10

I will update as soon as I hear from him on Friday.

Received a call from my SA on Saturday indicating that there is still a programming issue, need another IRAP session. Swapped out the sh1tty Mazda loaner for a '13 X3 Saturday morning. Maybe it will be finished on Tuesday...I'm officially no longer excited for the PPK, I just want the car back.

Others who have their cars back already with PPK, did anyone have the ASS re-programmed prior to installing the PPK? Just wondering if the ASS "remember last setting" programming will need to be done over again.
holy crap...I feel like it's the tech's at your dealership that are mucking this up here...

Appreciate 0