F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Does the GT have any common issues?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
ajdresner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT

Does the GT have any common issues?

Please excuse me if this question was asked before, if it was and you know the link.. pls share and I will delete this.

While every car can have some individual issues, there are some design flaws that dog a particular model.

I just came off a nightmare of a Volvo V60 T5 experience, that seems to be pretty common here in Thailand. I don't know if the problem, exhaust leak, is limited to the model (V40 owners also complained) made for this market or that the local service is so bad that they could not fix it. But when I asked for something in writing about the problem, I was ignored for 3 weeks and then refunded. This is how you treat a customer who buys your car, and discovers a problem?

BMW here in Thailand has a decent reputation, but their service gets a lot of complaints. BMW sells 1000s of cars per month vs less than or around 100 per month for Volvo. So there is a bigger base of BMW owners and a lot of private garages for after warranty service.

I have had 2 3 series in the past (1996 318, 2001 330 Convertible), they were pretty reliable with just your regular issues. Service for BMW in Miami was always great, and so was the staff at the service center...who I later became friends with.

Some BMW are assembled here in Thailand. A lot of cars are actually made here in Thailand (Benz, Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc), and it's referred to as the Detroit of Asia. Good cars are made here, so my only concerns are after purchase service and a design flaw.

So any "common" issues I need to be aware of with the GT? I'm doing my research locally about the service, and which dealer has the best service center

Thank you!
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

Hi,

The only thing I have found is the reversing camera gets dirty much quicker than on the 3 or 4 series.

This is due to the "lip" that sticks out at the rear. Water droplets seems to hang down more and make it's way onto the camera.
      03-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdresner View Post
So any "common" issues I need to be aware of with the GT?
If it has any I haven't found them yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
ajdresner
Private
Rep

My CRV's camera gets dirty kinda easy.. but I would never complain about that. So if that's the only issue you can think of, then i'm pleased.

How about the cabin? Quiet? Build quality, solid or make a lot of creaking noises?V60 was brand new, but sounded like an old man going over bumps and joints on the highway. The center console clicked as I stopped and accelerated. Doors made a lot of noises too.

Was reading about the C350, but read about some wind noise problems seem to sprout up on some if not all after 3-12 months, and that was confirmed by an honest sales person.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdresner View Post
How about the cabin? Quiet?
As a mouse.
Quote:
Build quality, solid
As a rock.
Quote:
read about some wind noise problems
I get a tiny bit of wind noise from the side window, which is probably due to the frameless construction. But the only reason I can hear it is because the car is so quiet. I've seen some complain about RFTs being noisy, but I find them no worse than the Michelin summers I had on my last car, a Nissan Altima. I never had any complaints about the Altima, but the GT is still better in every respect.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
ajdresner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I get a tiny bit of wind noise from the side window, which is probably due to the frameless construction. But the only reason I can hear it is because the car is so quiet. I've seen some complain about RFTs being noisy, but I find them no worse than the Michelin summers I had on my last car, a Nissan Altima. I never had any complaints about the Altima, but the GT is still better in every respect.
My 330 Sport also had frameless windows, but it was a convertible so hard to say because it was loud in general and will never do a rag top again, but I don't think the noise you are talking about is as bad as the wind noise that C300 owners are complaining about. (I am also looking at the C350) Merc is having to replace their windows with acoustic glass.

Tire noise doesn't bother me, it is what it is. I can always change tires, not sure I want RFs, I don't like too rough a ride. Here are the specs on the cars that are available here. Diesel only, sport or luxury.
SPECS They both come with the same 18 inch rims and tires, different transmissions, but same suspension? it doesn't say.. I'll test drive them next week to see if they drive any different from each other.

Surprised that it doesn't mention that it's RWD or not, I think it is based on other sites I have read.

Good to see that this thread isn't filling up with a laundry list of little problems, or a few standout issues. My buddy has one here, and he has had a good experience so far.. The Volvo really left me nervous and asking a ton of questions, checking every detail...not taking the brand name for granted.

And the price list so you can feel bad for me: it's approx 92,000USD
PRICES Check out the 740 at 200,000US.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 05:46 AM   #7
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

If you go for bigger wheels say 19" you will get a louder "thud" sound if you hit a pot hole.

But you will get used to it after a while.

But all in all no real issues to pick on.
      03-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
ajdresner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid64k View Post
If you go for bigger wheels say 19" you will get a louder "thud" sound if you hit a pot hole.

But you will get used to it after a while.

But all in all no real issues to pick on.
I'm not sure I could ever get used to a THUD lol Actually, my CRV does that and has since day 1. I like the 18 inch it comes with.

More I dig around, the 320d has a rock solid reputation. This is also pretty cool, German buddy told me about it. It's a car by car review based on inspections in Germany.
"DEKRA Gebrauchtwagenreport“ von DEKRA Automobil GmbH https://appsto.re/de/wi79y.i
Appreciate 1