F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lexus's desperate comparison vid of the 435 vs RC350
ARMA SPEED

01-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #23
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

One of the best BMW commercials ever.
To each is own but the Lexus is fugly in comparison. Nintendo gizmo's do not appeal to me and when a 'leading luxury brand' has to make a big point about how they can potentially be cheaper than BMW, it speaks volume to the weakness of their value proposition. A few hundred $ may be the driving factor when you cross shop between a Civic and a Corolla, but a few thousands $ will not between these vehicles.

Performance wise, the bimmer certainly does not need a complex system to hold a lower gear/high rpm's when exiting a corner: with 300 lb.ft @1,200 rpm vs 277 lb.ft @ 4,800 rpm, numbers speak for themselves.

I am not a Lexus hater, I just think they are not comparing apples to apples. Maybe it would be more relevant if they were benchmarking themselves vs Merc'. If I were to look for a worthy contender vs the 435, I would go for the (unfortunately aged) Audi S5.

Finally, the content and format of the 'commercial' itself shows a complete ignorance of what mostly attracts 435 buyers and how their brain works. Does Lexus think that a nice and polite young lady making a cold and rationale comparison of the two cars is going to talk to the right brain of buyers who value driving dynamics? It looks like Lexus does not have its own marketing department but that the Camry Product Manager put this together.

Do not take me wrong, strong competition results in better products, I am just not convinced that BMW will really feel threatened by Lexus
      01-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #24
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlue View Post
To each is own but the Lexus is fugly in comparison. Nintendo gizmo's do not appeal to me and when a 'leading luxury brand' has to make a big point about how they can potentially be cheaper than BMW, it speaks volume to the weakness of their value proposition. A few hundred $ may be the driving factor when you cross shop between a Civic and a Corolla, but a few thousands $ will not between these vehicles.

Performance wise, the bimmer certainly does not need a complex system to hold a lower gear/high rpm's when exiting a corner: with 300 lb.ft @1,200 rpm vs 277 lb.ft @ 4,800 rpm, numbers speak for themselves.

I am not a Lexus hater, I just think they are not comparing apples to apples. Maybe it would be more relevant if they were benchmarking themselves vs Merc'. If I were to look for a worthy contender vs the 435, I would go for the (unfortunately aged) Audi S5.

Finally, the content and format of the 'commercial' itself shows a complete ignorance of what mostly attracts 435 buyers and how their brain works. Does Lexus think that a nice and polite young lady making a cold and rationale comparison of the two cars is going to talk to the right brain of buyers who value driving dynamics? It looks like Lexus does not have its own marketing department but that the Camry Product Manager put this together.

Do not take me wrong, strong competition results in better products, I am just not convinced that BMW will really feel threatened by Lexus

Agreed but look who is buying BMWs these days. Things have changed over the last few years. This forum doesnt represent the bulk of BMW drivers. Having said that, Most here are fine with 17 or 18 RFT!.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #25
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
About 80% of 3 series that I see are driven by housewives/young girls. Just sayin.......
I see a lot of this where I live too (or at least in the more affluent area's), but this is the exception in the global market where BMW operates. Go to some european countries and the 3 series would be seen as the company car of a sales rep' and would be a base diesel model.
      01-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #26
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
[/B]
This forum doesnt represent the bulk of BMW drivers.
Very valid point indeed
      01-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #27
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin.RS View Post
If you're spending time and money to put a competitors car directly in your ad, you're already losing.

They show the 435 almost as much as the RC, and when shown side by side the RC's grill looks even more awkward.
Not sure what they were thinking when they made this

Naturally it's a woman in a Lexus. Seeing a guy in one of those just doesn't look right to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #28
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTerp View Post
That is true and casual rubes watching the ad can be taken in. The reality however, is that BMW historically under rates their engines by a notable amount. Look at almost any magazine road test of a BMW with "less" advertised HP than a competitor and the Bimmer is almost always faster. We can expect the same when the new B48/58 engines are introduced (long thread on this elsewhere). No doubt BMW will rate them higher than the N20/55 engines they are replacing, but will likely not actually list them at their true values. Cadillac, in particular, seems to strain to get every HP they can extract from their motors into the advertising sheets, yet they don't perform any better than BMWs with much less advertised HP.
Even if they didn't, you'd have to understand how much torque an engine makes as well as the torque curve to get an idea of how fast the car will ultimately be.

I didn't watch the video because I don't care about the RC or any other car Lexus has ever built, but I'm sure she also neglected to mention weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #29
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlue View Post

It'll work. I think the primary demographic of Lexus is women (coincidentally, brands like BMW, Audi, and Cadillac attract more of a male audience). That ad was geared towards educated, high income women. The exact audience Lexus likes going after. I could be wrong but I can't really think of a demographic stupid enough to think that buying an IS250 is a good buy with the speed of a Honda Civic and the worst fuel economy in it's class.

As for feel threatened. Globally they shouldn't worry about it, in the US they should. I think their biggest seller though is the ES350 which is, quite literally, a rebadged Toyota Camry. Second would be the IS. Lexus wanted to axe the GS entirely but they ultimately decided against it.

EDIT: And what the fuck is Lexus College?

Last edited by fecurtis; 01-09-2015 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #30
Loft23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
Seems to me like the biggest stated advantage of Lexus is the lower cost. That is the same argument that Kia makes. That's a serious devaluation of the Lexus brand.
I think you just like getting ripped off by BMW. A lot of things should come standard nowadays but bmw nickel and dime you knowing that fanbois and people obsessed with the badge will find a way to afford one. A $30k 320i and the bare bones $199/month lease fleets devalues the brand when every Bob and Mary can afford one. But it's the opposite. Consumers like value and price has nothing to do with brand value. If you look at luxury brand values, BMW is MUCH higher than Ferrari and Porsche, which car would your rather own? BMW is making their fleet more and more accessible down market because all they care about is making more money. You should search for an interview with one of the BMW execs where the reporter asked if they are concerned about more BMWs being on the road and how that will hurt the brand's luxury cache. He flat out said he is not concerned and wants to see BMW as a mass producer of premium automobiles. They want to eat into Lexus' market share as much as possible. They don't care about you, just the bottom line.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #31
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loft23 View Post
I think you just like getting ripped off by BMW. A lot of things should come standard nowadays but bmw nickel and dime you knowing that fanbois and people obsessed with the badge will find a way to afford one. A $30k 320i and the bare bones $199/month lease fleets devalues the brand when every Bob and Mary can afford one. But it's the opposite. Consumers like value and price has nothing to do with brand value. If you look at luxury brand values, BMW is MUCH higher than Ferrari and Porsche, which car would your rather own? BMW is making their fleet more and more accessible down market because all they care about is making more money. You should search for an interview with one of the BMW execs where the reporter asked if they are concerned about more BMWs being on the road and how that will hurt the brand's luxury cache. He flat out said he is not concerned and wants to see BMW as a mass producer of premium automobiles. They want to eat into Lexus' market share as much as possible. They don't care about you, just the bottom line.
To be fair, every for-profit enterprise is like that.

And German automakers always nickle and dime you on everything, it's why Japanese competitors come in cheaper. They have more standard equipment and less option packages to choose from. Still doesn't stop people from buying them. Hell BMW looks great compared to trying to price out anything made by Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #32
Loft23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The rebadging argument is purely silly. Yes some of their models share with their "lesser" counterparts, but many of the unique models to the brand don't share much. You can argue which engine is better or transmission, etc, but because it's in a toyota it makes it automatically sh!t. Those engines will run much longer than any BMW engine and will have less problems. A 335i shares a lot more with a $30k 320i compared to an RC 350 which shares little with toyota.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #33
Loft23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
To be fair, every for-profit enterprise is like that.

And German automakers always nickle and dime you on everything, it's why Japanese competitors come in cheaper. They have more standard equipment and less option packages to choose from. Still doesn't stop people from buying them. Hell BMW looks great compared to trying to price out anything made by Porsche.
Yup Porsche makes BMW look like a Lexus when it comes to value. They're an exclusive brand and are not looking to be mass producers of vehicles. They have a wealthy parent company and are just rebadged VWs
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #34
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
She said things that are correct though, 306hp>300hp. Comparatively equipped the RC is much much cheaper. Bmw will not be able to sue Lexus for anything since there are no misrepresentations here.

However we know better
That is true and casual rubes watching the ad can be taken in. The reality however, is that BMW historically under rates their engines by a notable amount. Look at almost any magazine road test of a BMW with "less" advertised HP than a competitor and the Bimmer is almost always faster. We can expect the same when the new B48/58 engines are introduced (long thread on this elsewhere). No doubt BMW will rate them higher than the N20/55 engines they are replacing, but will likely not actually list them at their true values. Cadillac, in particular, seems to strain to get every HP they can extract from their motors into the advertising sheets, yet they don't perform any better than BMWs with much less advertised HP.
Doesn't matter if the BMW has 6 less hp. The 4 smokes the Lexus due to the torque curve from the turbo.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 11:03 AM   #35
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlue

Well the Merc C400 makes peak HP over at least a 500rpm range and peak Tq arrives earlier than the BMW over a 4000rpm range so they better not try to compare to that car either

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #36
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

"Normally aspirated"

This commercial is full of win. The car itself seems decent enough though.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #37
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
"Normally aspirated"
Does that make our engines "unusually aspirated"?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #38
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
"Normally aspirated"
Does that make our engines "unusually aspirated"?
I was trying to figure out the same thing. Or maybe they normally *aren't* aspirated?

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #39
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

All I hear is "This feature is standard on RC350 and costs extra on BMW"....

seriously... I know lexus is cheaper than 435... whats next lady...move on!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #40
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
She said things that are correct though, 306hp>300hp. Comparatively equipped the RC is much much cheaper. Bmw will not be able to sue Lexus for anything since there are no misrepresentations here.

However we know better
As we know, the 300HP advertised by BMW is "sandbagged". It's more like 316-320HP at the crank and 300HP at the wheels.
      01-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #41
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost
Quote:

However we know better
As we know, the 300HP advertised by BMW is "sandbagged". It's more like 316-320HP at the crank and 300HP at the wheels.
But all she said is 306>300.

I can't fault her for that

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #42
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loft23 View Post
Yup Porsche makes BMW look like a Lexus when it comes to value. They're an exclusive brand and are not looking to be mass producers of vehicles. They have a wealthy parent company and are just rebadged VWs
So are Bugattis, R8s, Lambos...................
Curtis is on a roll.........
I'm with you Loft. Very objective.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #43
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
So MPPK is making 340+? How do you know Lexus isnt making more HP?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #44
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
So MPPK is making 340+? How do you know Lexus isnt making more HP?
Based on my experience with Japanese cars they over inflate their numbers. BMW under-inflates. But if that's how BMW wants to do it, then 306 to 300 comparison is valid.